Petabyte Project is FULL! Time to upgrade...

4 minutes ago, fulminemizzega said:

This actually makes sense, I had the impression that 4KiB sector size was needed to get bigger storage capacity,

It has to do with better ECC algorithms and being more efficient about storing that data... which results in more actual sectors in the end.

See https://www.anandtech.com/show/2888

(keep in mind article/news story is from 2009)

But all is not lost. The principle problem here is that ECC correction takes place in 512B chunks, while ECC can be more efficient when used over larger chunks of data. If ECC data is calculated against a larger sector, even though more ECC data is necessary than for a single 512B sector, less ECC data than the sum of multiple sectors is needed to maintain the same level of operational reliability. One estimate for 4K sector technology puts this at 100 bytes of ECC data needed for a 4K sector, versus 320 (40x8) for 8 512B sectors.  Furthermore the larger sectors means that larger erroneous chunks of data can be corrected (burst error correction), something that was becoming harder as greater areal densities made it easier to wipe out larger parts of a 512B sector. As a result, the need for the larger sector is born.

[...]

From a numbers perspective, Western Digital estimates that the use of 4K sectors will give them an immediate 7%-11% increase in format efficiency. ECC burst error correction stands to improve by 50%, and the overall error rate capability improves by 2 orders of magnitude. In theory these reliability benefits should immediately apply to all 4K sector drives (making the Advanced Format drives more reliable than regular drives), but Western Digital is not pushing that idea at this time.

image.png.f8e38ff27d4c14576a32438393d9a956.png

image.png.9ff7acc25a755247f1a0fd881623af6b.png

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

This is one of the reasons those of us in actual IT roles don't put too much weight into their server videos. We love them for their entertainment value, but it's like watching kids try and figure out calculus after just being taught that the red square doesn't fit into the blue circle cut-out.

That, and they - for whatever reason - aren't willing to put much detail into their server videos. They skimp a lot of details, or just edit past when they get stuck, etc. Most of that is likely because they're figuring it out as they go a lot of the time, so they just want to skip all the research and trial and error stuff.

But it would be nice if they started to do actual good quality, highly researched regular server content.

I think you are a bit unfair. IMHO I don't see that much value in seeing @GabenJrstuck, I like knowing the issue and the solution, maybe a reason why the issue exists... I get stuck enough by myself.

10 minutes ago, fulminemizzega said:

I think you are a bit unfair. IMHO I don't see that much value in seeing @GabenJrstuck, I like knowing the issue and the solution, maybe a reason why the issue exists... I get stuck enough by myself.

It's a balance between entertainment value and educational value. Watching them get stuck on a problem and then solving it (especially if it's something stupid or simple) has little entertainment value - but it can have a lot of educational value.

Especially if someone decides to use this video as some basis to do something similar, and then they encounter the same problem - they may not realize, for example, that the drive needs to be formatted.

Ideally, they would skip over the stuck/research part, and simply jump right to the solution. In this case, they skipped the solution - probably because they decided it was irrelevant or perhaps uninteresting.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 9/5/2019 at 1:27 PM, emosun said:

think he said seagate sent them the drives so free is pretty cheap

I didn't have anything to do with this but I am happy about it! ??

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

7 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

I didn't have anything to do with this but I am happy about it! ??

Best bot on the forum. ?

Just now, Den-Fi said:

Best bot on the forum. ?

Thank you pal! ??? 

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Does anyone know what the soundtrack is that was used for the hacker scene at 13:21?

13 hours ago, mariushm said:

With tape drives, i'd be concerned about advances in technology.

Every few years there's some new models out there, with tapes that are no longer compatible and so on... or you may no longer be able to get the tapes for the proprietary tape drive you want.

If they go with tape backup, let's say you don't go the latest generation tape drives, the highest end ones, simply because they're too expensive... a few years from now, you may not be able to buy tapes for your generation's drive. Or, you may try to recover some data from some backup tapes and the tape drive fails ... so you start looking for replacement drive and they're no longer sold, they're discontinued... 

So you may have to go have hot spares around or keep on tape drive as backup sealed in box etc in controlled environment and so on...

This is why you can't just make a backup on whatever media you choose, then throw it on a shelf and forget about it for a few years. Most media (stone tablets would be an exception) will eventually become obsolete (look at floppies and IDE drives, for example), just as you pointed out, so it is mandatory to monitor the backups to make sure nothing has gone wonky while setting arounbd and update the media and equipment to read and write to the media before it all becomes too obsolete to recover any data from.

Also, multiple backups in multiple physical locations are essential for if the unthinkable should ever happen to the backup in one location.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 9/5/2019 at 1:58 PM, GabenJr said:

That didn't take long - A whole Petabyte of storage is now completely full, so come along for the ride while we deploy a band-aid solution!

Out of curiosity, what is your retention policy like? Are you retaining absolutely everything from every project, or can you pare down what you're storing so you're not using up that much storage that quickly? I'm thinking more along the source and intermediate files that may be stored while a video is being edited, but can probably be deleted after the video is finalized and uploaded.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

The only thing that really skeeved me out in this video, was the casual stacking of the drives containing the precious data, multiple-high, on a cart that was then moved to the kitchen set.  One accidental bump or stumble into the cart could have sent most of them tumbling to the floor.

Hanging onto the bulk hard-drive shipping boxes, to use for temporary holding in situations like this, would be a much safer idea.  Obviously we'd hope that the foam in them is either pink (static dissipative) or black conductive (ESD protective), so the drives wouldn't be at higher risk of ESD from simply inserting and removing, without needing to ESD bag each drive temporarily.

Maybe @seagate_surfer would be able to hook you guys up with some empty shipping boxes, for occasions like this.  Then again, how often do you need to temporarily empty a SAN server?

On 9/11/2019 at 2:25 PM, mindholm said:

The only thing that really skeeved me out in this video, was the casual stacking of the drives containing the precious data, multiple-high, on a cart that was then moved to the kitchen set.  One accidental bump or stumble into the cart could have sent most of them tumbling to the floor.

Hanging onto the bulk hard-drive shipping boxes, to use for temporary holding in situations like this, would be a much safer idea.  Obviously we'd hope that the foam in them is either pink (static dissipative) or black conductive (ESD protective), so the drives wouldn't be at higher risk of ESD from simply inserting and removing, without needing to ESD bag each drive temporarily.

Maybe @seagate_surfer would be able to hook you guys up with some empty shipping boxes, for occasions like this.  Then again, how often do you need to temporarily empty a SAN server?

I'm sure they did it just because! without any specific reason, when you look at their videos they treat expensive equipment that way...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey LinusTechTips!
ow can a drive resilver at 900MB/s when it only has a SATA 6Gb/s interface?
It's theoretical interface speed is 750MB/s. I tired to look it up, but i got no conclusive answer.
Can you please explain? I am generally curious.

1 hour ago, ShalaDar said:

Hey LinusTechTips!
ow can a drive resilver at 900MB/s when it only has a SATA 6Gb/s interface?
It's theoretical interface speed is 750MB/s. I tired to look it up, but i got no conclusive answer.
Can you please explain? I am generally curious.

Basically it is a RAID configuration, depending on the RAID and storage devices used the transfer capacity can be greatly increased. The following image shows the theoretical transfer rate that could be achieved by doing RAID set ups.

Resultado de imagen para raid speeds

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 6:58 AM, GabenJr said:

That didn't take long - A whole Petabyte of storage is now completely full, so come along for the ride while we deploy a band-aid solution!

Buy Seagate IronWolf Pro hard drives:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/PSstrc
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVmr

Build another petapyte server, delete all footage so you can download the new flight simulator coming out soon 

Flight-Sim.jpg

On 9/5/2019 at 1:57 PM, Daniel644 said:

THATS what the adspots at the beginning and end that are edited out for Floatplane subscribers are for, stopping dead in your tracks to shill merch ruining the whole flow of EVERY VIDEO POSTED for the last month is amount to TROLLING not trying to make sales.

If TV increased commercials by 50% so that an hour long TV show is now only 35 minutes and commercials are 25 minutes would you be OK with that? because it's the same damn thing as Linus adding a 3rd advertisement to every video. it completely interupts the flow of the video, it's outside of the traditional adspots and now brings him up to 3 adspots where all the other techtubers are 1 maybe 2 and they keep them limited to the beginning or end like a gentlemen, this is Truman Show level advertising. I frankly can't believe you are defending a companies advertising policy, you should want ads to be as minimal as needed to be, not defending the addition of a third ad break.

wdym they integrate beautifully into the video 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6