Intel Launches 10th Gen 14nm Notebook CPU Family

yolosnail
1 minute ago, yolosnail said:

There's that, but also the fact that Intel saw quite a bit of clock regression when moving from 14nm to 10nm (I can't remember whether it was an official statement or from a 'trusted source').

Part of the trouble is Intel have had so long to add pluses to 14nm that they've managed to get the clock speed up considerably. If Intel had released 10nm when it was scheduled (the first time), there wouldn't be that much of a difference in clock speed

On the off chance that Intel actually releases 10nm desktop parts (which I honestly doubt), I'd expect to see low to mid 4ghz, at a push

then we have the fact that intel will also have the same heat density issues at the lower nodes that amd is having, we might need to start to think of ways to increase heat transfer, 

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

This 15 watt figure is Intel's tdp spec yes? Which means it's a lie basically. According to intel, somehow the i7 7700K, i7 8700k, and i9 9900k are all 95 watts which baffles me.

They aren't lying though? ?

Intel's TDP definition measures power output at base clock, which has tanked consecutively into the mid-high 3 GHz range from its peak in the low 4 GHz range over the past 3 CPU generations (7700k @ 4.2 GHz, 8700k @ 3.7 GHz, 9900k @ 3.6 GHz).

37 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

all things point to no 10nm desktop parts, and they did 4.5ghz boosts just last gen now its only 4.1

i7-10510Y does boost to 4.5Ghz though, and which last Gen Y processor did 4.5? i7-8510Y only does 3.9Ghz

Definitely not this year, but I don't think they're never going to release it, It would be horrible if they stuck with 14nm next year for Desktop, seriously destructive for the company

Edit: i7-10510Y is not 10nm

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

9 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

On the off chance that Intel actually releases 10nm desktop parts (which I honestly doubt), I'd expect to see low to mid 4ghz, at a push

I'm more concerned about prices honestly more than frequency, seeing the Y processors can push past 4Ghz seems decent enough, but It would be great if both companies battled for prices (and cores)

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

I'm more concerned about prices honestly more than frequency, seeing the Y processors can push past 4Ghz seems decent enough, but It would be great if both companies battled for prices (and cores)

That's because the Y processors are 14nm, the current max turbo of a 10nm part is 3.9Ghz 

Intel need to lower the price, but by doing that they'd have to admit they have an inferior product, which the can't do.

One thing I admire about AMD is they show where they lose as well as where they win.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

3 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

That's because the Y processors are 14nm, the current max turbo of a 10nm part is 3.9Ghz 

Intel need to lower the price, but by doing that they'd have to admit they have an inferior product, which the can't do.

One thing I admire about AMD is they show where they lose as well as where they win.

I thought the 10510Y was 10nm, I am so confused on this list

13 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Easily done, 10th Gen naming scheme is a disaster. I added the naming scheme to the OP to help work it out

A quick rule of thumb is if it ends in U or Y, it's 14nm.

If it ends in G1-G7, it's 10nm. 

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

7 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

Easily done, 10nm naming scheme is a disaster. I added the naming scheme to the OP to help work it out

A quick rule of thumb is if it ends in U or Y, it's 14nm.

If it ends in G1-G7, it's 10nm. 

Oooh okay, thank you for the clarification 

''For the most part, the 14nm++++++++++++ parts seem to be better than the 10nm parts, they consume less power, have more cores and clock higher.''

That is a fancy way of saying

The 10nm is worse than the 14nm++, 10nm consumes more power, have fewer cores and clocks lower.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

"We desperately needed to tell our shareholders that we are finally shipping 10nm.  So here's some half baked parts that we'll also put better 14nm parts next to."

does any of these 10nm NOT have igpu?

could that be the constraint?

trying to make more powerful igpu?

4 minutes ago, pas008 said:

does any of these 10nm NOT have igpu?

could that be the constraint?

trying to make more powerful igpu?

I don't think Intel make any mobile parts without an igpu

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

10 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

I don't think Intel make any mobile parts without an igpu

how much more powerful supposedly is this new igpu?

nvm supposedly twice the 9.5

hmm

1 hour ago, _Syn_ said:

That entire list is 14nm they’re all designated as comet lake at the top of the slide.

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

how much more powerful supposedly is this new igpu?

nvm supposedly twice the 9.5

hmm

To be fair tho, a kid with an etch-a-sketch is more powerful than Intel's past iGPU

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

3 hours ago, fasauceome said:

This 15 watt figure is Intel's tdp spec yes? Which means it's a lie basically. According to intel, somehow the i7 7700K, i7 8700k, and i9 9900k are all 95 watts which baffles me.

Yeah I am going to have to agree. There is 0 chance that they get a 6 core to run at 15w without it running at insanely low frequency. I have a 9th gen 6 core laptop and it puts out a metric ton of heat and requires alot of cooling. Thing sounds like a jet engine when under load at higher frequency and even ramps up quite a bit while running at 2.6ish ghz. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah I am going to have to agree. There is 0 chance that they get a 6 core to run at 15w without it running at insanely low frequency. I have a 9th gen 6 core laptop and it puts out a metric ton of heat and requires alot of cooling. Thing sounds like a jet engine when under load at higher frequency and even ramps up quite a bit while running at 2.6ish ghz. 

Yep, I have the 9750H, and according to XTU it draws 60W at 4Ghz on all 6 cores, while hitting 90c. Even when browsing Chrome it draws 11W, and that's with a -0.14v undervolt.

Even when I run a single core load, it hits 26W running at 4.2Ghz (I haven't actually seen it hit 4.5Ghz yet, even though that's what the single core boost is)

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 hour ago, yolosnail said:

To be fair tho, a kid with an etch-a-sketch is more powerful than Intel's past iGPU

true but raising the bar on the low end is great too

1 hour ago, yolosnail said:

Kind of an unfair comment considering the leaps and bounds Intel has made since the GMA series. Upper end Intel HD parts are fairly competitive with lower end GPU parts, and they can play relatively demanding games at reduced settings. In the GMA days, it was an achievement to even crack 30 fps on the lowest settings and resolution in even light titles (of the time).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

thank you I might buy your i7 - 10202394308530185KFU

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Well, it's 15W at 1.1 GHz. They're reducing base clock every year to keep the listed TDP accurate. TDP is not a measurement of peak or average power consumption or heat output.

If Intel keeps this up they could theoretically launch a 14nm sub-GHz SKU next year. Then their TDP spec would have officially jumped the shark.

Edit: op missed that Intel backported the ICL memory controller so it supports LPDDR4X memory albeit they also gimped the speed so OEMs couldn't pull any shenanigans like just pairing Comet with fast memory instead of buying the more expensive ICL processors.

7 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

*whispers* long live Skylake

You mean Ivy bridge? 3rd gen hex cores still kick ass and keep up with current gen midrange offerings like the 9600KF.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

I'm eagerly awaiting my 8-core 15W i10 10nm ULV CPU with a 400MHz base clock and 20GHz boost clock*

*only able to boost for 10 nanoseconds when PL2 is 2kW

Something I think most people on this forum don't understand is that the large majority don't give a shit about the node size of the cpu in their laptop, hell they don't likely care about the CPU anyway. 

So for people to say "Intel is in trouble" is funny as hell because it shows that you don't understand the market. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

What the hell is up with this naming scheme? I'm just gonna buy 8th or 9th gen Intel CPU or AMD.

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans