Buyers Remorse - I picked the WRONG time to upgrade...

nicklmg
16 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Buy LG 38GL950G on Amazon: https://geni.us/aCUfAqn

Amazon Machine Broke

image.png.434d26cb61a447f7ae9c6d13d7c52bd2.png

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

NOPE, i'm done, you where just pimping another monitor as the best monitor LAST FREAKING WEEK!

LINUS, EVERY MONITOR CAN'T BE BETTER THEN THE ONE BEFORE IT, if it is then that simply means you failed to research monitors before picking.

5 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

NOPE, i'm done, you where just pimping another monitor as the best monitor LAST FREAKING WEEK!

LINUS, EVERY MONITOR CAN'T BE BETTER THEN THE ONE BEFORE IT, if it is then that simply means you failed to research monitors before picking.

What if I told you things get better over time?

Do you think he would do a video about a new worse monitor?

2 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

What if I told you things get better over time?

Do you think he would do a video about a new worse monitor?

better then last week or 2 months ago? Somehow I doubt releases happen at that random a staggering.

and besides "best" is subject to your usecase, a photo editor would care more about color accuracy then say gaming performance.

8 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

and besides "best" is subject to your usecase, a photo editor would care more about color accuracy then say gaming performance.

Which is why, despite the title, Linus kept the Asus.

9 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

better then last week or 2 months ago? Somehow I doubt releases happen at that random a staggering.

If it's from a different company, then yes it's possible.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

LG kinda fucked up the timing of sponsoring this video, since you can't preorder this monitor yet in the US.  I've been waiting for the last 3 weeks for it to show up for preorder somewhere.  This thing is going to be perfect for filling-up-your-vision.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

3 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Buy LG 38GL950G on Amazon: https://geni.us/aCUfAqn

Buy other LG Ultrawide monitors on Amazon: https://geni.us/CwcG

Learn more about the LG 38GL950G on LG.com: http://bit.ly/2JE3Snk

What a surprise , a LCD monitor that doesnt do what it says it should :P

1MS response time .. BS,

10bit chroma 444 144hz ...ha yea not at the same time !

Please do take the time to delve deeper into monitor technology and lingo. It would be far more helpful for those looking to buy such monitors to actually have proper meaningful feedback. Not just hey this 'looks' better, and "there is still some ghosting" ..or "there is some kind of artifacts". Facts and figures please, just like u would in a vid about a new GPU or CPU.

Some other points.

Its called overshoot, thats what ur seeing on its 'fastest' setting. Manufactures dont count overshoot in their pixel response time tests, so like to advertise "amazing 1ms .. or amazing 0.5ms response time" by using crazy overdrive settings ..which is utter bollocks because overshoot HAS to be included in the response times, not to mention very bad overshoot looks like utter garbage.  They also dont use 'average's but rather cherry pick a single transition so they can say "hey we were telling the truth" ..which is arguable at best since they dont include overshoot in the results.

Basically a real measurement of response time starts from the moment a pixel starts transitioning, then that time continues until it reaches and settles at the target color, not the moment it takes to hit it, and then ignore the overshoot and settling period. The moment a pixel overshoots its target, it is no longer at the intended target color, causing inverse ghosting aka overshoot. And crucially, u dont cherry pick the lowest number, or use 80% transitions. Just as you would any statistical test, the minimums, average, AND maximums are important.

Do please make sure to comment on uniformity, especially black uniformity, its one of the most poor aspects of LCD monitors currently.

ill say again , one of LTT's weakest aspects is your Display videos, they dont go into near enough detail, nor do you come across as very ...experience.. in the subject. I wont say ur not knowledgable, u most certainly no more than the average joe, but not enough imo.

Please dont take what i've said in a harsh sense, its just feedback :)

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

This monitor definitely checks a lot of the boxes (high refresh, IPS, HDR, G-sync). I actually prefer the 3840x1600 resolution over 4K, especially at the 38 inch size which still retains that comfortable 110PPI in order to keep 100% scaling. I don't want to deal with scaling and MST issues. I also prefer ultra wide for movie watching.

Is it worth $2000 though??? The first 4K IPS panels in 2014 came in a lot more expensive and only offered you resolution (no high refresh, no HDR, etc...) You pay a premium for the extra features here. But if this really is the best that money can buy (outside of 4K and higher), I'd say it's priced accordingly.

This would definitely be on my upgrade list to replace my 34UM95 - a panel I bought 5 years ago and still enjoy using because of it's solid quality. You have to commend LG for maturing ultra wide and doing what they have.

8 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Wait linus sits next to his toxic fume generating 3D printer in a sealed room?

I recommend moving it near an open window.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

Wait linus sits next to his toxic fume generating 3D printer in a sealed room?

I recommend moving it near an open window.

The window is open when I run it and the fan I installed for my server closet gets turned on to actively flush the fumes outside :)

23 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

The window is open when I run it and the fan I installed for my server closet gets turned on to actively flush the fumes outside :)

Yo. You guys should do more 3D printing content, almost none on your channel?

Should review the CR10 S5, it's the cheapest huge 3D printer, 500^3 volume. Love mine.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Which is why I never upgrade. I win. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

14 hours ago, xnamkcor said:

Did he just give that cat a knife?

I noticed that too....I look forward to more adventures of Shadow the Knife Cat.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

So this is coming out on September 6th at the IFA i believe?

CPU Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1GHz Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero RAM 16GB KFA2 HOF @ 4GHz CL17 GPU Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Case Caselabs Mercury S8 Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, Seagate SSHD 1TB, Intel 530 180GB PSU Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 850w Display LG 38GL950G Cooling Custom WC Operating System Windows 10 Pro x64

Where is the link to the 27 little brother LG monitor??

• 1 month later...

Still can't find this monitor anywhere...
There are now rumors that it's not going to be released...

I'm considering the XG43 instead, cheaper, bigger, freesync 2 etc

If they did a version that doesn't waste it's time with HDR or GSync (nvidia verified freesync 2 would be better) or RGB or speakers or usb hub, might be worth it then... If they ever release it.

10 hours ago, Starglider said:

Still can't find this monitor anywhere...
There are now rumors that it's not going to be released...

I'm considering the XG43 instead, cheaper, bigger, freesync 2 etc

If they did a version that doesn't waste it's time with HDR or GSync (nvidia verified freesync 2 would be better) or RGB or speakers or usb hub, might be worth it then... If they ever release it.

its coming out on the 29th and you can easily see it on LG's site, in addition its on B&H with that date on it; linus got a really early copy of this monitor

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38GL950G-B-gaming-monitor

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1488942-REG/lg_38gl950g_b_38_ultragear_nano_ips.html

Doesn't say anyting about the 29th on that link which I have looked at nearly every day for the past week. See attached image. Also done CTRL F and searched for 29 (nothing found).

Amazon now has it listed but 1 to 2 months delivery but amazon is never a good place for tech thats just come out prices are always out of wak..

UK btw.

Capture.JPG