[UPDATE] A Glitch in Team Fortress 2 Renders Unusuals Unboxed from Certain Crates Untradable

PlayStation 2
Go to solution Solved by jiyeon,
2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

UPDATE: Valve seems to have handled this... in a very strange manner. It seems like, rather than deleting the hats outright or leaving them be, any hats unboxed out of this debacle are not tradable, marketable, craftable and, bizarrely enough, gift-wrappable. Example right below:

It's a short-term solution, at least. Team Fortress 2's twitter has mentioned that these unusuals are marked as non-tradable/marketable "for the time being", so I'm interested to see what they do to finally put the nail in the coffin for this whole situation.

UPDATE: Valve seems to have handled this... in a very strange manner. It seems like, rather than deleting the hats outright or leaving them be, any hats unboxed out of this debacle are not tradable, marketable, craftable and, bizarrely enough, gift-wrappable. Example right below:

DXOqX.png

UPDATE 2: The Team Fortress team themselves have fully responded to this situation by marking the first hat unboxed from the crates as tradable and any successive hats as permanently untradable.

During our investigation we discovered that a small number of accounts acquired these hats and a smaller portion of those accounts acquired an exceedingly large number of them. Based on this, we've decided that if you currently own one of these Unusual hats, the first one added to your account will be made tradable. Any other Unusual you have received due to the bug will remain permanently trade locked. If you decide that you would rather not have these trade-locked hats on your account, you may instead elect a full refund on any number of them.

Valve is also offering to restore any deleted hats and offering full refunds on the crate used, the keys used if they were purchased on SCM or the Mann Co. Store and any hats purchased off of SCM if it was unboxed from those crates in the short time.

Sources: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-07-26-team-fortress-2-hat-economy-crashes-due-to-crate-bug and https://www.pcgamer.com/team-fortress-2s-hat-market-has-crashed-and-rare-items-are-going-cheap/

DXMrH.png - a Circling TF Logo Handyman's Handle, one of many, many, many Unusual hats in the game

The venerable, if not rotting free-to-play Valve shooter Team Fortress 2 has hats! And not just hats, hats with effects called Unusuals! Unfortunately, a very bizarre bug involving certain unboxable Crates in the game meant that you were guaranteed one of these very rare Unusuals on any unbox.

The problem began following TF2's latest summer update, which introduced a number of new cosmetic items and, seemingly, the Unusual drop rate glitch. The bug seems to apply to certain lines in the Mann Co. Supply Munition Series, with prices for Unusuals from said crates dropping, and the price of the crates themselves soaring. I tested this out, and indeed found myself opening four Unusuals in a row. One hat I received, which cost £18.26 before the crash, is now being sold for £4.95. Equally, the crates I bought cost £0.03 a few days ago (with only one sold per day), but have been sold 3418 times today at around £2.04.

This glitch came with the Summer 2019 Cosmetic Case update that happened on July 25th, eventually leading to many people mass unboxing many Unusuals with a certain pool of effects. This eventually led to Valve attempting to patch this bug out and closing down the Steam Community Market for Team Fortress 2 for now. Listing or purchasing an item for TF2 on the SCM leads to this error:

DXIv9.png

The Team Fortress team's Twitter page issued this statement on the glitch:

This has seemingly also disabled any unboxing of any and all Crates for now as Valve continues to investigate and fix this issue.

Just a short warning to anyone who's currently playing Team Fortress 2 or gets offers for TF2 unusuals: stay safe. There's no telling as to whether or not what'll happen to these mass-unboxed Unusuals, nor is there any telling of any repercussions of that exploit. That's all I gotta say, and now it's your turn to tell me what you gotta say. If staff wants to move this, go ahead, but I feel this warrants a thread here.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

DXIv9.png

Damn, that is quite the error. I was on the Community Market earlier and wondered why crates #82 and #85 were so expensive & popular, additonally, the Mann Co. Crate Key shot up high.

Wonder what this'll mean for Unusuals and by extension, the general market in the future.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

1 minute ago, seoz said:

Damn, that is quite the error. I was on the Community Market earlier and wondered why crates #82 and #85 were so expensive & popular, additonally, the Mann Co. Crate Key shot up high.

Wonder what this'll mean for Unusuals and by extension, the general market in the future.

I'm suspecting that the third-generation effects will absolutely die (effects like Disco Beat Down, Kill-a-Watt, Dead Presidents, etc.), because it doesn't seem to affect any other effects.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'm suspecting that the third-generation effects will absolutely die (effects like Disco Beat Down, Kill-a-Watt, Dead Presidents, etc.), because it doesn't seem to affect any other effects.

Interesting. I've never owned an unusual before, so maybe if these unusuals crash, I can get my hands on one. In theory, this will raise the prices on older effects, won't they?

2 minutes ago, seoz said:

Interesting. I've never owned an unusual before, so maybe if these unusuals crash, I can get my hands on one. In theory, this will raise the prices on older effects, won't they?

Probably not. What they'll do is probably create a larger price delta between what are considered lower-tier effects and higher-tier effects. It means that one of the mass-unboxed effects will likely be very cheap while most of the other ones will stay the same.

11 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I thought it also affected 1st gen.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

It does

6 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

I'm not sure, I think it only affected all of the Supply Munitions and a little bit of the first-gen crates. I might be wrong, because information seems to be all over the place, but I can absolutely confirm third-gens are going to be affected.

Alright, I'm gonna walk back that statement largely because I have seen some first-gens popping up for really cheap. Namely a Scorching Flames Sober Stuntman.

Edited by Dan Castellaneta
Wanted to clarify something real quick.

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'm not sure, I think it only affected all of the Supply Munitions and a little bit of the first-gen crates. I might be wrong, because information seems to be all over the place, but I can absolutely confirm third-gens are going to be affected.

1st Gens are affected, 3 burning team captains have been unboxed, one is on the market right now for a bit over $1K, some PE and GE stuff, as well as haunted ghosts, to name a few that I have seen. That being said, the crates to get 1st gens are much harder to come by now (crates #1-25), so there will be more of the 3rd gen effects out there

Just now, Mandrew said:

1st Gens are affected, 3 burning team captains have been unboxed, one is on the market right now for a bit over $1K, some PE and GE stuff, as well as haunted ghosts, to name a few that I have seen. That being said, the crates to get 1st gens are much harder to come by now (crates #1-25), so there will be more of the 3rd gen effects out there

Yeah, I updated that quote to show that I do think some of the first-gen crates are affected.

Munitions were as common as can be and as unwanted as such, so I'm not shocked that a boat-load of third-gens were unboxed.

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

It's a short-term solution, at least. Team Fortress 2's twitter has mentioned that these unusuals are marked as non-tradable/marketable "for the time being", so I'm interested to see what they do to finally put the nail in the coffin for this whole situation.

TF2 News?! At this time in this year, about an update, about hats, localized entirely within this forum!?!

Image result for what year is it

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

All I have to say on the situation:

21 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

TF2 News?! At this time in this year, about an update, about hats, localized entirely within this forum!?!

Image result for what year is it

and on top of all that.. the first several comments here are all people actually talking about it xD

I haven't touched TF2 in years

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@Dan Castellaneta

I made this

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.59350ace711b128b0000b8a239bae4ca.png

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

8 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

inb4 a new hat is given to those who didn't contribute to the unusual crash. and another one for those who did ._.

Ghastly Gibus part 2, but this time it's got burning flames.

14 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

UPDATE: Valve seems to have handled this... in a very strange manner. It seems like, rather than deleting the hats outright or leaving them be, any hats unboxed out of this debacle are not tradable, marketable, craftable and, bizarrely enough, gift-wrappable.

pretty sure valve made untradable items also unwrappable a few years back. I just hope i get to keep the 2 unusuals i uncrated, even if they're crapo-tier.

C'mon man, let us have something :/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

pretty sure valve made untradable items also unwrappable a few years back. I just hope i get to keep the 2 unusuals i uncrated, even if they're crapo-tier.

C'mon man, let us have something :/

Yeah, they did, but bizarrely enough, the description of those items that state what they aren't also shows that they're not gift-wrappable, even though they wouldn't be to begin with.

According from anomaly on youtube about this matter. The trading market was shook with how valve let this thing pass for 12 hours. Most players earned a profit of 7k$ with their exploited items. The market prices went down as the supply went crazy over the last 12 hours, so this is basically valve messing up. 

Valve took actions such as banning people who already sold their items for CSGO or DOTA 2 Items (which in turn, those TF2 items ain't usable for trading anymore which means no value) and is currently lazy to fix the problem before next week. (No overtime for the weekends as we can see) and so the question remains.

How the hell will Valve fix this mess that they've brought upon themselves.... (I seriously fell for the exploit, was going to buy those hats when this news went all over. haha.)

10 minutes ago, This is a DIsplay Name said:

According from anomaly on youtube about this matter. The trading market was shook with how valve let this thing pass for 12 hours. Most players earned a profit of 7k$ with their exploited items. The market prices went down as the supply went crazy over the last 12 hours, so this is basically valve messing up.

Just watched Anomaly's video, market's absolutely crazy at the moment. Had an itch that Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and DOTA 2 markets would've been affected but not to the extent it has gotten too. The Unusual Team Captain is just an insane crash.

Complete damage control - or lack thereof - over at Valve HQ.

13 minutes ago, This is a DIsplay Name said:

(I seriously fell for the exploit, was going to buy those hats when this news went all over. haha.)

Did you end up buying any yourself? I managed to witness the market crash and exploit but I never dived into itself due to the angel on my shoulder telling me this wouldn't end well if I got involved.

Don't think I saw this posted but:

12 hours ago, seoz said:

Just watched Anomaly's video, market's absolutely crazy at the moment. Had an itch that Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and DOTA 2 markets would've been affected but not to the extent it has gotten too. The Unusual Team Captain is just an insane crash.

Complete damage control - or lack thereof - over at Valve HQ.

Did you end up buying any yourself? I managed to witness the market crash and exploit but I never dived into itself due to the angel on my shoulder telling me this wouldn't end well if I got involved. 

I was "about" to buy one. The prices were to good to be true at that time,  but I was too skeptical to buy one for myself. So I had to search the net for news. I saw a post on reddit where they noticed the glitch and I guess it blew up at that point...

6 hours ago, 1re said:

Don't think I saw this posted but:

This is where "No overtime for Valve" comes in. They literally don't want to solve this right away. Hahahaha.