[UPDATE] A Glitch in Team Fortress 2 Renders Unusuals Unboxed from Certain Crates Untradable

PlayStation 2
Go to solution Solved by jiyeon,
2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

UPDATE: Valve seems to have handled this... in a very strange manner. It seems like, rather than deleting the hats outright or leaving them be, any hats unboxed out of this debacle are not tradable, marketable, craftable and, bizarrely enough, gift-wrappable. Example right below:

It's a short-term solution, at least. Team Fortress 2's twitter has mentioned that these unusuals are marked as non-tradable/marketable "for the time being", so I'm interested to see what they do to finally put the nail in the coffin for this whole situation.

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

An update straight from the Team Fortress 2 blog:

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=53025

I love that their week-long investigation - not to mention no overtime over the weekend after the 'Crate Depression' - was basically what we could've guessed would happen without them making an official response.

During our investigation we discovered that a small number of accounts acquired these hats and a smaller portion of those accounts acquired an exceedingly large number of them. Based on this, we've decided that if you currently own one of these Unusual hats, the first one added to your account will be made tradable. Any other Unusual you have received due to the bug will remain permanently trade locked. If you decide that you would rather not have these trade-locked hats on your account, you may instead elect a full refund on any number of them.

Additionally, this is such a vague statement, I wish they would have mentioned what caused it in the first place.

We apologize for the inconvenience of this incident, and we’ve added safeguards to prevent incidents like this in the future.

It's such a blanket statement, this is what they've been concocting for the past week?

While I can appreciate that they've spoke out about the situation, it's a red flag to Team Fortress 2's development team about how long they took to handle the situation and come out with a statement.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Just now, seoz said:

I love that their week-long investigation - not to mention no overtime over the weekend after the 'Crate Depression' - was basically what we could've guessed would happen without them making an official response.

Additionally, this is such a vague statement, I wish they would have mentioned what caused it in the first place.

It's such a blanket statement, this is what they've been concocting for the past week?

While I can appreciate that they've spoke out about the situation, it's a red flag to Team Fortress 2's development team about how long they took to handle the situation and come out with a statement.

I think Valve was worried about how they could go about it. They knew if they fucked something up with any responses in between the acknowledgement of the bug and their final response that the whole community would freak out. There's way more involved into the intricacies of this situation than anyone realizes. We have some knowledge of how everything went through, but they've got everything. And that's a lot. A whole lot.

I think the TF team was implying that the people who knew about what went down with this also knew what caused this in the first place: a fuck-up in how they set up crates. People realized this and, for what it's worth, a small portion of the community started mass unboxing hats out of these crates. Remember that there's a lot more people who just play the game casually than there are who actually know and deal with Unusual hats outside of knowing that they're rare.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.