Amateur vs Pro Photography Challenge - Google Pixel 3 vs Fujifilm GFX

nicklmg
4 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Yes and no, there are people here that still use film and can produce far better pictures than almost any digital camera on the market. I my self don't think the camera itself makes you better, it's your ability as a person who is using the equipment. That said I'm sure Linus has played with simple setting cameras like P&S ones, but I still think his shots where all luck since he knew basically nothing about the cameras abilities, so he actually deserved to win due to having a far bigger handicap than I would ever thing should be allowed in such a challenge. Before I got my Canon RP I used either a Is S5, SX40 or the original digital Rebel which is a crop sensor, phone cameras produce great images considering the size of the sensor and the pixels packed in them, beyond that I would never suggest anyone to use one for long term images, professional shoots etc.

Not sure if that camera had a auto function, it probably does but he was likely not allowed to use it, but even the auto function allows many settings to be changed based on your environment, at which time yes a better camera would technically make you better but then you are no better off than a phone in your hand.

Linus had the better camera, Linus won.

can we get those pictures? I would like that Tinder Pic in high res

Were you guys planning a follow up vid?  A deeper dive into the the results (aka the photos) taken?

Were the cell phone pics easier to edit?   Did you shoot raw on the Fuji?

What was required to post process the photos?   Is your photography skills more like he-who-photo-shops-best-wins?

If the test is, does the camera gear make you a better photographer,  then a poorly framed photo with bad lighting is still exactly that regardless of the kind of camera you use.  So given that example then doesn't it boil down to the features of the camera and or photo shop skillz?

I think Linus would be a great photographer TBH, He has the ideas and a good enough eye for it IMO. 

I would love to personally teach him how to use a more common Sony Camera and then see what he can do with it. 

I would love to see a part 2 of this, and see some more cameras from 2 different price points and a control "Professional with professional gear" contestant.

If you guys need another photographer, call me :P

Expertise is as important as equipment, just saying.

Also, this video feels like a Channel Super Fun (RIP) video uploaded to the main channel for some reason.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

7 hours ago, Ryz said:

Linus had the better camera, Linus won.

? No ?

Linus won because one of 3 things, first they are his employees they might fear about being fired especially if this video was Brandons idea, second they might not know what they are actually looking for in a good picture (aka average consumer that needs to be told what they want), the third and final possibility and imo most likely is due to the fact Linus had the worlds biggest handicap of all time.

I think the best images Linus did over Brandon was the dog food and maybe the water bottle one(concept was great, but if he executed it wrong with wrong settings it would have ended in disaster, aka lucky), and the last pregnancy image however that last one was purely camera and models, since the weather outside was optimal settings are real easy and fast to adjust and it becomes point and shoot. I just think Brandon made a few bad choices more than make bad photos.

I'm not looking at the photos in the same way as you or the judges in the video. Linus only deserved to win because of the ridiculous handicap given. He is right however a better tool does help, but if you're drunk with a multi thousand dollar camera you are still going to produce drunken pictures, which is why if you ask me one needs to know and learn at least a point and shoot using manual settings (most phones do not have proper settings to adjust, the f stop is usually locked and modified by software etc) to understand photography, anything before that time is pure dumb luck in getting a good picture.

5 hours ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Also, this video feels like a Channel Super Fun (RIP) video uploaded to the main channel for some reason.

This was the most enjoyable video I've seen for a long time, and I think it is because it was more about the people involved. Something we haven't seen so much of since CSF faded out.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I mean, don't take me wrong, the video was fun, but in the end, we didn't a single shitbit closer to the answer whether or not can a smartphone camera supplement a DSLR or sth. This video should get a technical followup, i would much rather have something with brandon shooting the same pic on the $4K camera vs a Pixel 3, then having that compared.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

2 hours ago, thicc_boi said:

This video should get a technical followup, i would much rather have something with brandon shooting the same pic on the $4K camera vs a Pixel 3, then having that compared.

This was kinda my point from above.  I was super stoked about watching this video when Linus teased it on Wan show several weeks back.    While the video was entertaining to watch,  I was really hoping for a bit more technically meaty video doing the compare/contrast between the two

That was rather fun to fun. Don't think I've laughed that hard so many times during a fun LTT video. Still between the fun it had a ton of great moments! I do think some kind of a follow up where Linus and Brandon sit down to review the video/photos would be good. There were quite a few good comments both made during the video that help highlight why you can still take good photos with just a phone now a days. Or why a better camera with adjustable settings can give you that real oomph to a photo. I think this has been done but have Brandon give a brief example with simple photos on different settings between the Pixel3 and the Fuji in that follow up video would be good. 

Nice job, would watch another 40 minutes. :o

4 hours ago, thicc_boi said:

whether or not can a smartphone camera supplement a DSLR

Supplement? Yes.

Replace? Not a chance in Hell.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

20 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Supplement? Yes.

Replace? Not a chance in Hell.

I'd use the cell phone for location scouting. Taking pictures of various locations under various lighting conditions and at different times of day. Even with the lesser sensor on it, it should still give you an idea of what an area would look like in different lighting conditions.

Then when coming back to the location with the model or client, definitely use the DLSR.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

16 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

The video would have been a lot better if they had pitted two professional photographers against each other, and then printed out the shots at max size, you'd quickly see the limitations of the cell phone.

I think the point was more like "how much does the equipment make the picture overall?"

Much like how kids who suck at counter strike think buying an infinity refresh rate monitor will increase their KD ratio by a billion automagically.

3 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I think the point was more like "how much does the equipment make the picture overall?"

Much like how kids who suck at counter strike think buying an infinity refresh rate monitor will increase their KD ratio by a billion automagically.

but linus won with the pro hardware

7 minutes ago, Ryz said:

but linus won with the pro hardware

Most of that was because they liked the composition and choice of what to take a picture of over what Brandon took a picture of. Not to mention that it seemed like Brandon was not working in conditions he was used to (e.g. a time crunch)

I think I recall a few comments about the technical aspects, but that didn't really feel like it mattered much.

My point is, if you suck with what you have now, you'll still suck if you get something better.

1 hour ago, brandishwar said:

I'd use the cell phone for location scouting.

Hence the "Supplement" comment :)

19 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

My point is, if you suck with what you have now, you'll still suck if you get something better.

And the inverse is true. If your gear sucks, then you will be limited in your results (though not to the same extent as lack of skill)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

And the inverse is true. If your gear sucks, then you will be limited in your results (though not to the same extent as lack of skill)

Technically sure, but that doesn't mean you still can't create good content with it. It's the idea that good gear = good content and crap gear = crap content.

Nobody's going to argue that technically speaking, superior gear will get you superior quality.

10 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Technically sure, but that doesn't mean you still can't create good content with it. It's the idea that good gear = good content and crap gear = crap content.

Nobody's going to argue that technically speaking, superior gear will get you superior quality.

I am a heavy amateur, but from taking pics with a DSLR (an old pentax, but hey, it's not a phone) versus my Pixel 3, the only things i lack are the zoom and precision controls, for example the pixel can do absolutely amazing DR and color, especially if exported to raw and fiddled with later.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

3 minutes ago, thicc_boi said:

I am a heavy amateur, but from taking pics with a DSLR (an old pentax, but hey, it's not a phone) versus my Pixel 3, the only things i lack are the zoom and precision controls, for example the pixel can do absolutely amazing DR and color, especially if exported to raw and fiddled with later.

Cell phones lack a lot more than just "zoom and precision controls" in comparison to interchangeable lens cameras. You have no control over depth of focus due to being locked at one aperture and focal length - this can be mimicked in software, but it isn't the same as having real control with a real lens.

The larger sensor in even a micro-4/3rds camera opens up a lot more possibilities than the camera sensor in a cell phone. Now since your working with "an old pentax", the low light performance on that likely doesn't hold a candle to newer-generation DSLRs, and the Pixel 3's low light performance may actually be better. But the larger sensor in even an older DSLR is still going to provide more possibilities.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

14 hours ago, XTankSlayerX said:

I think Linus would be a great photographer TBH, He has the ideas and a good enough eye for it IMO. 

I would love to personally teach him how to use a more common Sony Camera and then see what he can do with it. 

I would love to see a part 2 of this, and see some more cameras from 2 different price points and a control "Professional with professional gear" contestant.

If you guys need another photographer, call me :P

Tbf, Linus has been hanging around creative people for quite a long time. Even though hey may nof have known the technical bits, I feel he has a pretty good grasp on what is and what isn't a good photo.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

One of the funniest video I've seen in a while, I LOL'd alot. 

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

Looks like you guys had some fun with this one. Great video. 

James's shirt off pose reminded me of this one for some reason. (Clean but still.. eh. you'll see) 

Looking at the whole thing.  I am obligated to point out that dressing a cisgender man as a woman for laughs is  seriously ...problematic.   Otherwise a great video. 

On 7/18/2019 at 7:18 PM, ninjaman5j5 said:

Welcome to LTT, take a funny video you make and actually use the photos on your website. Linus's went up for hoodie, brandon's the water bottle. Thanks guys that gave me a good laugh.

image.thumb.png.b55347fee17504d9090847225ad781ce.png

Was it Linus who took that cute picture of Colton in an XXL? 

Challenge accepted 

IMG_20190719_115201.jpg

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1