US tech giants lobby to lift Huawei ban

Results45

huawei-autumn.jpg

Spoiler

Huawei_Fruit.original.jpg

Google, Qualcomm, Xilinx, Broadcom and Intel lobby to lift Huawei ban (at least partially).

From Google:

"A Huawei-modified version of Android, Google argued, could then be more vulnerable to hacking risks........

Huawei has said that if it has to develop an alternative operating system it could do so “very quickly.”

Such a scenario presents several risks for Google. If Huawei develops its own version of Android, the search giant won’t control it so can’t manage security upgrades or reap the consumer data that makes its services useful and fuels advertising revenue."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-07/google-warns-white-house-of-security-risks-from-huawei-ban-ft

From the others:

"Qualcomm, for example, wants to be able to continue shipping chips to Huawei for common devices like phones and smart watches, a person familiar with the company’s situation said. Qualcomm has also reportedly told Commerce that Huawei's smartphones and servers do not pose as big a threat as its 5G networking equipment.

The Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA), a trade group, acknowledged it arranged consultations with the U.S. government on behalf of the companies to help them comply and brief officials on the impact of the ban on the companies. “For technologies that do not relate to national security, it seems they shouldn’t fall within the scope of the order. And we have conveyed this perspective to government,” said Jimmy Goodrich, vice president of global policy at SIA.

Google, which sells hardware, software and technical services to Huawei, has also advocated so it can keep selling to the company, Huawei Chairman Liang Hua told reporters in China earlier this month.

“They’re doing it by their own desire because, for many of them, Huawei is one of their major customers,” he said, adding that chipmakers knew that cutting Huawei off could have “catastrophic” consequences for them.

China watchers say U.S. suppliers are essentially trying to thread the needle - not wanting to be seen as aiding an alleged spy, thief and sanctions violator, but fearful of losing a good client and encouraging it to develop supplies elsewhere.

The Commerce Department did make a concession just days after the ban was put in place, announcing on May 20 that it would offer a temporary general license allowing Huawei to purchase U.S. goods so it can help existing customers maintain the reliability of networks and equipment."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-huawei-tech-usa-lobbying/u-s-chipmakers-quietly-lobby-to-ease-huawei-ban-sources-idUSKCN1TH0VA

https://www.pcmag.com/news/369037/report-qualcomm-intel-lobby-government-to-lift-huawei-ban

I also found this video about Huawei's OS to be pretty interesting:

Anyone else think this Trump vs China thing is overkill?

Welp, there goes the conspiracy """theory""" of the ban being tied to US companies supposedly not being able to compete.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Would an unban set a precedent for theft of intellectual property? I just don’t care - Huawei have dug themselves into a hole.

Now will they switch back anyway?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

29 minutes ago, floofer said:

Would an unban set a precedent for theft of intellectual property? I just don’t care - Huawei have dug themselves into a hole.

I agree but for different reasons.

I just don't trust anything coming out of China anymore.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

They just don't want to lose the highly lucrative Chinese market after the Chinese government decides to ban US tech companies as well as retaliation... 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

They just don't want to lose the highly lucrative Chinese market after the Chinese government decides to ban US tech companies as well as retaliation... 

That will never happen.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

come up with better/cheaper solution (like Xiaomi has done in Europe vs Samshit Galaxy's)

Companies like Xoaomi and Hauwei can only be cheaper because they "outsource" R&D to companies like Samsung.

Basically, China blocks US tech, and their own technologic progress stagnates. It is, after all, Chinese business culture to steal rather than innovate, that is honorable to corporate China.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

34 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

With all the non-sense sanctions? Russia, Iran, Venezuela, Cuba, N. Korea, China itself... and the rest of countries afected by all the US bullshit (or not that bs) could create a huge market without US companies, they should be worried if large countries stop buying their stuff or come up with better/cheaper solution (like Xiaomi has done in Europe vs Samshit Galaxy's)

At the end of the day it's all about doing business and getting as much money as you can, isn't it? Anyway we Huawei users need an answer soon or otherwise there will be thousands that will abandon Huawei forever (+ those who will never get a Huawei because of the bad reputation the news are giving to them and those worried about sanctions)

It's something to think about really

China literally does not care at all about the US trade war. It’s hurt the US a lot more than it has China. I’d also hardly call those sanctions nonsense, perfectly reasonable.

3 hours ago, Results45 said:

Such a scenario presents several risks for Google. If Huawei develops its own version of Android, the search giant won’t control it so can’t manage security upgrades or reap the consumer data that makes its services useful and fuels advertising revenue."

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

They just don't want to lose the highly lucrative Chinese market

That was my first thought, too.  Google is just afraid of losing out on mining data from the Chinese.

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Welp, there goes the conspiracy """theory""" of the ban being tied to US companies supposedly not being able to compete.

Meh,  conspiracy theories are a dime a dozen.  For every one that "coincidentally" turns out partially true, there are another million made up on the spot that are as real as spiderman's aversion to kryptonite. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, floofer said:

The intellectual propriety argument doesn't hold much waters in the realm of complex geo-eco-political landscape, particularly when you factor in historical significance. 

Richard Wolff explained it best when stating that during China's rapid economic reforms, particularly Deng Xiaoping's rule, Western companies/governments and China made a deal that now they, western governments (Mainly the U.S), are backing off from it.

To summarize it, Western companies get to have dirt cheap labor (among other advantages) and in exchange, China gets to accelerate the transitioning of its economy from an agrarian one to a capitalist based system integrated in global economy as well as reaping the technological benefits of said companies.

The West did not expect that China's progress would be accelerated to such an extent (hence the term the sleeping dragon), resulting in the need to transition away from Chinese markets. It's a fairly logical and pragmatic approach, but leaves something to be desired.

In my personal opinion, China should have anticipated this to a higher extent, but their failure to do so is beginning to cost them. 

7 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I agree but for different reasons.

I just don't trust anything coming out of China anymore.

Personally I trust the US even less.

Right now we suspect that China does a bunch of bad stuff such as spying and building backdoors, but have very little evidence for it.

We already have evidence that the US does all the bad stuff Huawei are being accused of (on the networking side).

So choosing US companies over Chinese one is like picking guaranteed evil over probable evil.

At this point I don't think Huawei will come back to these companies anyway.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

13 hours ago, huilun02 said:

My only beef with Huawei is that they don't allow unlocking of their device bootloader anymore. I'm not buying hardware if I can't have my way with it

If you have a Honor View 10, P20 Pro, or Mate 20 with EMUI 9.0 Lineage OS or OpenKirin might still work:

And yes free bootloader unlocking is gone, but there are options to pay a 3rd-party to generate codes (if you're desperate): https://www.getdroidtips.com/unlock-bootloader-huawei-smartphone/

Or if you can manually bypass Huawei by rooting the bootloader yourself: