No Mo Motors - Oppo and Xiaomi preview under screen selfie cam

rcmaehl

Source:
Engadget
The Verge
Xiaomi Response

Summary:
Oppo's VP has previewed it's under screen selfie camera on Weibo and Twitter. Xiaomi responded shortly after with their own

Media:

Quotes/Excerpts:

The world’s first under-display camera. Posted to Oppo’s official Twitter account without much detail. A working front-facing camera that doesn’t need a notch, tear drop, hole punch, or pop-up sliding mechanism to leave that edge-to-edge display uninterrupted. In May, Ben Geskin first suggested that Oppo would show a smartphone with under-display camera. That prediction just came true. Engadget reports that the video was first posted to Weibo by Oppo VP Brian Shen. ”At this stage, it’s difficult for under-display cameras to match the same results as normal cameras, there’s bound to be some loss in optical quality,” wrote Shen. “But, no new technology jumps to perfection right away.”

It didn't take long before Xiaomi responded with its own under-display camera demo. The company's president, Lin Bin, shared a video clip that was allegedly shot last month, in which an under-screen camera was added to a Mi 9 prototype. "No hole, no notch, no pop-up camera." There's no mention of a launch date.

My Thoughts:

That was quick! It's only been about a year and a half since the first "bezel-less" phones with notches and other workarounds, but it looks like we can finally put away that unsightly camera bump for a full edge-to-edge display. I fear this will be the end of front firing phone speakers though, less Google or Razer have something to say about that.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Other thread

Oh no, did someone already post this >_>

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

i can see this working if you use 2-4 sensors to capure the pixels missing that will be covered by oled pixels

14 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

image quality, image quality, image quality.

Flip the phone, problem solved

OT: coming soon to a One Plus near you 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, VegetableStu said:

wonder how many people out there stick a mirror to the rear cameras, lol ._.

Why would anyone need a mirror?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I have been saying this for years! OLED is transparent it can be made. I suggested to go a step further and only have the camera area be transparent. So you have full screen device, and camera whole Samsung Galaxy S10 style when you use the front facing camera.

13 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

gonna copypaste my comment from the other thread

image quality, image quality, image quality.

although i kinda want someone to pull this off. video calls would be much MUCH more natural (the camera can be placed behind the portrait of the other person)

There is probably a image degradation due to the OLED screen in the front compared to having nothing, but this is where you'll do the trade off. If you taking selfie is important to you, then this phone is probably not for you. If you rarely take selfie of the conveniences outweigh the image quality, then maybe such a phone is for you.

The fact that these phone manufacture are actually being innovative, shows how much Samsung is sleeping or purposefully delaying their latest technology, same for Apple. And if the latest leaks and rumors are true, the Pixel 4 will have a pill size hole screen like the Galaxy S10 (is Google buying Samsung/Apple overstock panels? Notch at first like the iPhone and now the pill hole)

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

my main concern is if it's making a video call in the dark ._. on a camera that's basically having an ND filter in front of it

(admittedly i don't do this often, so I don't know how many people care about being visible in a call ,_,)

Set the screen brightness to 100% obviously. No need for low light when you have white LEDS the power of 3 suns blaring directly into your eyes

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

my main concern is if it's making a video call in the dark ._. on a camera that's basically having an ND filter in front of it

(admittedly i don't do this often, so I don't know how many people care about being visible in a call ,_,)

Have a larger sensor or more sensitive sensor. Either of those will boost a camera low light performance. Now if the manufacture puts garbage in, then this is not the fault of the screen in the front.

Just now, VegetableStu said:

now to also put those at the rear, LOL

You are asking too much for a phone manufacture. And stats shows that consumers are interested in more cameras instead of having 1 really good one.

Next phones must have a camera with a ultra wide lens, another one for fish eye lens, 360 camera 'cause those sold so well, than 4 regular cameras, where 1 of them is regular, and the 3 others have each a color filter applies to it in the front, as we can't do this in software apparently. And charts says that consumers find premium phone too cheap, we need to raise the price. 2k$ should be the base model, and only go up from there.

Am I reading the charts on reverse? Nha! Everyone else are reading these charts on reverse.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You are asking too much for a phone manufacture. And stats shows that consumers are interested in more cameras instead of having 1 really good one.

Next phones must have a camera with a ultra wide lens, another one for fish eye lens, 360 camera 'cause those sold so well, than 4 regular cameras, where 1 of them is regular, and the 3 others have each a color filter applies to it in the front, as we can't do this in software apparently. And charts says that consumers find premium phone too cheap, we need to raise the price. 2k$ should be the base model, and only go up from there.

Am I reading the charts on reverse? Nha! Everyone else are reading these charts on reverse.

I mean being able to put cameras under the screen we can put as many selfie cameras as we want now! 10, 12, 18 cameras? SURE! Just throw them under the screen, we have room!

4 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

I mean being able to put cameras under the screen we can put as many selfie cameras as we want now! 10, 12, 18 cameras? SURE! Just throw them under the screen, we have room!

Very true! But then you need to keep ides for the next version of the phone. Else we might run out of ideas!

Better motors than eaten display. But yeah this will be amazing. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Oh crap ...

I tend to put tape over my selfie cam, like any sane person does with his/her laptop webcam.  That's going to be difficult now ...

6 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Oh crap ...

I tend to put tape over my selfie cam, like any sane person does with his/her laptop webcam.  That's going to be difficult now ...

Same here.  As for my laptop webcam, I did one better and physically unplugged it from under the bezel.

25 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Can we just get a phone without a narcissist selfie camera?  Can that be the "brave new thing"?

How will I video call over Google Duo, Messenger, or <insert video call application of choice> here?

35 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Oh crap ...

It is called app permissions.

And no one care about the camera, the microphone is the issue, but no one put tapes on that.

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

the microphone is the issue, but no one put tapes on that.

That's because tape over a microphone is pointless, and people still need the mic for voice communication (the very reason cell phones came into existence in the first place).  The camera is another story entirely.

31 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

How will I video call over Google Duo, Messenger, or <insert video call application of choice> here?

Fair enough.  I still wish that someone would actually make one without the front facing camera, though.  Heck, I'd be fine without any camera whatsoever.

53 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

That's because tape over a microphone is pointless, and people still need the mic for voice communication (the very reason cell phones came into existence in the first place).  The camera is another story entirely.

Excatly it is pointless to put tape on a webcam or camera.  I could agree with old version of Android, but recent versions of Android and Windows and Apple iOS are pretty robust privacy feature. 

Fair enough.  I still wish that someone would actually make one without the front facing camera, though.  Heck, I'd be fine without any camera whatsoever.

But then you can't video Skype or whatever communication app of choice you may use.

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

But then you can't video Skype or whatever communication app of choice you may use.

True. But people that don't care about front camera usually don't do video calls 

The almighty (Samsung) cat has spoken.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Strange, I could have sworn we've had a solution to the notch problem this whole time.. Oh yeah, they're called bezels. Damn, my S5 is really ahead of the times.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

5 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Strange, I could have sworn we've had a solution to the notch problem this whole time.. Oh yeah, they're called bezels. Damn, my S5 is really ahead of the times.

I hope you're running LineageOS or another ROM on that instead of Lolipop/Marshmellow.