Quake 2 to get official ray-tracing update - Nvidia releases demo of excessively-bright RT Quake 2

Delicieuxz

On June 6, Quake II on Steam will receive an update that gives it support for ray-tracing. If you already own Quake II on Steam, you'll get the update for free. I hope and expect that the update will also improve Quake II's stability on modern OSes and hardware.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/campaigns/quake-II-rtx/

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/27/18641307/quake-2-rtx-ray-tracing-remaster-download-nvidia

So, what I think is...

Quake 2 being updated with support for ray-tracing: Awesome

Losing the original colour and atmosphere: Bad

The red lighting replaced with normal Earth-like yellow lighting, I don't get. That's taking away something that  defines Quake 2's atmosphere and demonstrates the game takes place on another planet.

There was a different video of ray-tracing in Quake 2 released, by someone else, in January. That video kept the original game's light colouring. 

http://brechpunkt.de/q2vkpt/

I'm not sure if the RT update to Steam Quake 2 is a product of this other Q2 RT project. Maybe it's the same one, just worked on further and released in partnership with Bethesda and Nvidia.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

its funny how this game will now require more than 20x more processing power after that update.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

its funny how this game will now require more than 20x more processing power after that update.

More like 200-1000x. I really like the raytracing but the loss of the red atmosphere does completely drain from 'feel' the game had.

4 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Do I have to use this? is there a way to go back to the original lighting and graphics?

I'm sure the RT will only be an option and not forced.

I don't know about the textures, though.

Improved Global Illumination rendering, with three selectable quality presets, including two-bounce GI

Time of day options that radically change the appearance of some levels

New weapon models & textures

Real-time reflectivity of the player and weapon model on water and glass surfaces, and player model shadows, for owners of the complete game (the original Shareware release does not include player models)

All 3,000+ original game textures have been updated with a mix of Q2XP mod-pack textures and our own enhancements

Updated effects with new sprites and particle animations

Dynamic lighting for items such as blinking lights, signs, switches, elevators and moving objects

Maybe it will be a completely separate game installation.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Gonna make a backup of my Steam install just in case. Q2 doesn't require Steam to run.

But this looks interesting. Hopefully it runs better on my 1070 than the other version of Quake 2 RT does.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

If it's full ray traced scene like in that Q2VKPT, it's gonna run like crap on anything but RTX cards. If it's a mix, then it's possible to get reasonable framerate even on something like GTX 1080Ti... I guesss we'll see quite soon. I have the GTX 1080Ti and I own Quake 2 on Steam so I'll give it a try. But they mention Global Illumination too which is "worrying" because it has a far greater performance hit than just reflective stuff...

25 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

Gonna make a backup of my Steam install just in case. Q2 doesn't require Steam to run.

But this looks interesting. Hopefully it runs better on my 1070 than the other version of Quake 2 RT does.

The mod for quake RT works a bit slow on a 680 GTX i can't believe it's that awful on the 1070. Unless something wrong in the implementation.

How relevant is Quake II anymore? It's awesome to see RT implemented into games, but does Q2 still have a large following of consistent players or have they all moved on to other games like DOOM Multiplayer?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

How about RT for Source engine?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

12 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

How relevant is Quake II anymore? It's awesome to see RT implemented into games, but does Q2 still have a large following of consistent players or have they all moved on to other games like DOOM Multiplayer?

It's one of best Quake games imo. I never really liked Quake 1 and it's typical generic "hellish" theme that was the same like almost all the games at the time. Quake 2 changing the theme to Strogg lore really made it an amazing experience. Alien planet with enemies that are organic and machines fused in one, a lot of gore and whole atmosphere of industrial age civilization just hit the nail right. Especially parts with captured soldiers screaming in insanity and all the machines processing them to turn them into Strogg soldiers. Only thing cooler than entire Quake 2 was the Stroggification of the player in Quake 4. That shit was insane.

12 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

But, how will people be able to play newer games with full RT? They'll be able to actually run Q2 in high-enough FPS.

I'd like to see Far Cry 1 re-released with RT.

7 hours ago, williamcll said:

Csgo is still gonna look shit lmao

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

8 hours ago, williamcll said:

That would be cool! Half-life 2 in ray tracing. Or even for half-life 1.

I must say, that quake 2 demo looks impressive. Although it looks more like quake 3 with the brighter lighting.

Quake 2 timedemo is actually running in something like 90 fps on an 2080 Ti. 

Let that sink in.   Ray Tracing, done really good will be available. But probably in 3 generations from now.  

On 5/28/2019 at 11:54 AM, Nicnac said:

Aight I wanna have Star Wars episode 1: racer in ray tracing now

oh so like this thing? (technically not ray traced yet but it's in UE4 so it should be very easy to add/enable assuming the source code is somewhere)

Quake 2 was one of the first games I bought on Steam, this kicks ass!

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

1 hour ago, Beskamir said:

oh so like this thing? (technically not ray traced yet but it's in UE4 so it should be very easy to add/enable assuming the source code is somewhere)

Yep seen that video ^^ I can’t find a working download link tho :/

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido