Have you ever seriously damaged your phone?

poochyena

Have you ever seriously damaged your phone?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Have you seriously damaged your phone in the past 5 years?

• Yes, and I use a phone case
    • Yes, and I don't use a phone case
    • No, and I use a phone case
    • No, and I don't use a phone case

This probably doesn't count as serious to most people, but did I drop my brand new, most expensive phone I had ever gotten (600€) within a week from getting it? Yes, yes I did. It was in a case, but it nonetheless managed to land on a sharp rock, denting the aluminium on one corner. Fine, can't have anything nice. I'm pretty sure it's my only metallic object that can be dented like that dropping from lap height.

Pretty confident it's the first time I damaged my phone too, but at least it wasn't the screen. It was also my first phone I used without a screen protector, because someone decided rounded edges are cool.

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I've fucked up my Mi A1 pretty bad. Once I dropped it and it bent a bit.

My Mi A1 came bent from the start, I guess they might have a flaw. ? Thankfully I wasn't accused of dropping it (or otherwise being at fault), I guess going back to the store within an hour was credible enough. They replaced it without issue.

Ive never broken my phone other then a couple of minor scratch's on touch phone. I use to skim my Nokia e71 along the footy field when I was back at school still works today.

Was moving the other month and some how while in the draw my Iphone 5s split in half

its rare these days but i used to do flooring installs so a cracked screen was not uncommon then lol

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

I wear gym shorts a lot, and they don't have very tight pockets so my phone slips out alot. It aslo doesn't help that i drive a lifted jeep so if my phone does fall out of my pocket it's at least a 3 foot drop.

My first phone is an iPhone 6s, got it new since it came out. Nothing damaged. I could probably even sell it as "like new". Everyone else's phone I know are already broken and or upgraded. At least I use a case and actually take care of the phone...

My first Android phone Xperia X10a back in 2009 i completely cracked the screen on when it was in my jeans pocket and i was wrestling around and it bent against my leg. It was pretty much the largest screen phone you could get back then so it wasnt something i'd considered. Phone cases werent really a thing then either for smartphones. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Till now i have had three smartphones, two of them on the cheaper side and my last purchase on the more expensive one.
From what i saw the cheaper phones broke fast even though i did not handle them in a rough way.

The more expensive one is still totally functional even though i handle it just like the other phones and only use the phone case that came with the phone.

I only recently tripped on something with my phone in hand and of course I ended up falling on top of it while its display was facing downwards (I do use a case). Guess that's what you get for looking at your phone while walking though.

I have accidentally dropped my phone(s) before of course but got lucky each time. I once even dropped my cheap old LG several stories down a staircase, it didn't seem to mind though. Damn that thing was garbage, but completely indestructible.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

before having the heat gun, tried to heatup the pcb (LG v10) with stove and it bends badly....

I used to have a Samsung Galaxy S3 with a red finish. I dropped it from my waist to a hardwood floor. The screen shattered and 3/4 of the screen was unusable.

I guess that's what happens when you use an unprotected phone.

Which was weird when some friends and I decided to drop a different phone (Samsung S4 without a case) off of a 3 story high abandoned building while recording. The phone was undamaged, maybe a scratch or two. We recovered it and I used the phone for another year or so.

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

HTC Wildfire was perfect until I burned out my flash looking for something in the dark. Then again, by that time it was basically unusable.

My Nexus 4 survived the longest, about 3 or 4 years, but fell out of my pocket as I was cycling, destroyed the screen completely. It had a case on it, but that didn't save it from a screen-down fall :(. Replaced it myself, so I could use it as a backup phone.

Redmi Note 3 Pro survived fine, I had it for about a year, but then the Pixel 2 XL came out, and I got that, selling the phone.

I cracked the glass on my Pixel 2 XL like 2 weeks into my ownership as I was waiting for a case to arrive from China. (much sad). It worked fine for 1.5 years tho, I put a tempered glass screen protector on top of it and you couldn't even notice it. Then my camera stopped working, and I'm picking on a replacement from Google on Thursday.

Weirdly, had to replace glass on my phone before they'd send the replacement... Like, the phone's camera is borked, why do I need to fix the display?

Given shops charge 230-240 I chanced it and decided to do it myself. Somehow it's still in 1 piece and working.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Old Nokias? The power button didn't work after ~2 years of usage.

Sony Ericsson? Their multi purpose 'Fast port' was problematic, the connector became loose fast and the quality of headphone dongle was bad. Even though my W995 got lost by my sister after over 3 years of use which is the best of any phone I had. it had separate headphone jack, you could even connect 2 heaphones to it at the same time, it also had physical music control keys and I'm considering getting one as a music player.
Then I got some Huawei 4' smartphone that I dropped on concrete without the case, the screen broke, but it did not stop working.
I bought used iPhone 4, I got a nice case for it and nothing happened to it, sold it not much later because I preferred the broken Huawei with tape over the screen.
Then I got Oneplus One, the plastic case that I got with it was terrible, if fell multiple times, getting into worse and worse state, I broke the screen, got it replaced by some guy that took ages and I thought it got stolen, broke it again, replaced it myself, but the rest of the surface was in bad shape too, this phone looked like a war victim and finally died when it fell into water.
Redmi Note 4X -> with flip case and screen protector. The flip case is not a good idea, maybe some premium ones, but I always get the cheapest, the screen protector I bought got broken in transit, so at the start the screen got roughed up a bit, I stopped using the case because it was annoying and causing me to drop it a lot, it looks bad now, but works 100% fine.
OnePlus 6 -> I bought the phone with carbon case and glass screen protector, also ordered dbrand skin for it, used case from day 1, I replaced factory plastic screen protector after 2 months because it started looking bad, but the screen looked perfect, now I broke the glass screen protector and am using it this way, I believe that the phone would look like new if I'd take the screen protector and dbrand skin off, there's this issue where my case is higher than the screen, but not the screen protector, so when phone is facing down it gets scratched a lot.

Honestly I don't know how to keep a smartphone in a perfect shape, just keeping it in an otherwise empty pocket I managed to scratch the screen(sand got into it) and even break it(billiards, leaning on the table I guess, once I broke screen protector and once the screen, this is 2 problems in 10 times I played :o ). For me a bulky case with a proper screen protector and phone skin is the way to go, without the skin I got dust between the case and the phone and it got scratched ;/ The 2.5/3D screens look nice, but it's not something I can get, I need something compatible with screen protectors, because once every few months I'll do some hard work and forget to leave the phone in a safe place.

Once I accidentally plugged a Sandisk MP3 charger into my iPhone 4s, the phone's screen went black and never turned on again.  

Aside from that, I've never seriously damaged a mobile device. I'm careful with my equipment, so I was rather shocked when my iPhone broke. 

"Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?"
-Discord

Nope on both my smartphones, S2 and current S5. But the phones before that... Another thing. All except the Samsung E30 clamphone I still have as backup.

Nokia 3310, the legend. Fell on it while biking on icy road. Phone was under me, my keys hitting its screen. Broken screen.

Siemens something-something (we are talking about 2006-2008/9). Got dropped several times, on asphalt few times too. Broke piece near where battery is.

Nokia Xtreme Music (etc.). Another broken screen. Before that I had managed to break 2.5mm adapter to headphone jack. The screen was lost when I hit this in my pocket to sharp edge.

---

After that I've changed phones only to get something I need (email access with S2) or because old was slow af (S5). I have used cases on both smartphones, mainly because I fear for screen. I keep phone in same pocket with my keys.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I mean, depends on what kind of damage we talking about. My old Nokia N70 dropped into a glass of water, and in a bucket of water, dried and kept working, until it died of corrosion. My Nokia 5130 literally broke into pieces after being dropped for god knows how many times (yeah, I broke a Nokia). My S3 also had issues due to corrosion or so they say, even though it was never in a wet environment, quite weird. Not gonna take a blame for that one. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Nope.  I've only ever owned Samsung Galaxy devices (for smartphones).  I've dropped them a couple times and corners get scuffed but I've never shattered a phone screen or done enough damage to ruin the phone.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

On 5/14/2019 at 11:23 AM, poochyena said:

I'm curious how often people damage their phone, such as cracked screen or completely destroyed.

My mom has an habit for leaving her's on her trunk.

Once it did not survive the highway. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

my phone has a broken headphone jack & charge port. Now i can only use bluetooth and wireless charging. FUTURE

I've never seriously damaged my phone, ever. I'm pretty paranoid about my electronics. 

I had one close call when I got out of a car and my phone slipped out of my pocket onto the sidewalk. But I had a pretty good case on it, so the phone was pretty much unscathed save for one tiny nick on the metal body toward the top right. I've since retired this phone.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Dropped the OnePlus 3 many times, but I guess the Gorilla glass thing (and the case) works because I've only had to replace the tempered glass once in nearly 3 years?

Yeah I also have a case, but thats more to protect the aluminium back of the phone.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

Using an iPhone 4s, I've dropped it onto concrete and stuff, but the thing seems to be indestructible, it just takes whatever happens to it in stride. . . 

It might outlive me come to think of it. . .

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

worst damage was to my old nokia n-90 (the cannot vibrate flip phone from nokia )..parked my car , walked out ,hit one of those poles at the curb..with my phone in the pocket broke the outer lcd screen , then in another incident i tripped , and the phone sort ot split open at the sides , was able to push it back together 

Out of the 9 or so years of having smart phones, I've never cracked a screen... Although I did accidentally pee on one when I was 10 back in 2010 (I was a bed-wetter until I was 11)

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

I've cracked screens a couple times, and my last phone suffered catastrophic damage due to a mixture of weak aluminium and a not-so-great case.

Cracked screen #1 - dropped a Blackberry Bold from waist height, caught it on my shoe, it then fell 3 inches to the floor, cracking the screen. Brilliant.

Cracked screen #2 - girlfriend of the time jumped on my lap at the beach. Phone was in my back pocket, cracked the display.

Bent frame, dead flash - Phone had numerous bursts along it's seam due to weak aluminium and sitting on it. One day it restarted, never to boot again.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm not statistician so I could be totally messing up this analysis but it seems like this is a pretty strong case against the usefulness of cases:

image.png.885ccd6d9aed748434f840d102c701e5.png

My reasoning is the following:

• Of people who use phone cases, 43% have experienced damage, while of people who don't use cases, that number is only 27%.
  • Of people who've experienced damage, 83% were using a case, while only 71% of people who've never experienced damage used a case.
  • The number of people who've experienced damage despite a case is around double the number of people who've been fine, despite no case.

Of course there are other potential factors at play here, like people who are more careless might be more likely to buy a case to compensate, and/or that people without a case may protect their phone better through behaviour, so it's not like this result means that adding a case doesn't protect you more vs the control, but it is interesting.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.