AMD's stock jump 5% after earnings beat

poochyena

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/advanced-micro-devices-amd-reports-q1-2019-earnings-202232186.html

AMD reported revenue of $1.27 billion, which was above consensus estimates for $1.26 billion in revenue. However, revenue from the Computing and Graphics segment fell 26% year over year to $831 million. The company said the decline was due to lower graphics channel sales but was offset by increased client processor and datacenter GPU sales.

For the second quarter, AMD expects revenue between $1.48 billion to $1.57 billion. Estimates among analysts was for second-quarter revenue of $1.52 billion.

share price is currently up by ~5%. AMD continues to show strong sales with no signs of slowing down.
Just to add context, AMD's current share price is just under $30, with it's 10 year high being ~$32
Also Intel total 2018 revenue was $70 billion compared to AMD's $6.5 billion. So while AMD appears to be dominating intel right now, they are still nowhere near the size of Intel. So save your "Intel of death watch" comments for now.

intel 1st quarter guidance discussion

Nvidia earnings report is scheduled for 5/16/19

"skyrocket"
Went up by 6%. (but not really when you look at where it started)

Don't get me wrong, that's great for them. But I wouldn't call that skyrocketing.

Not to mention, if you look at the whole history....

YHFy3Op.png

It went down today and just went right back up to where it was.

It's projected to maybe go to above 30$, but that isn't the case yet and may not even happen.

The day started with the stocks at 27.59$ and closed at 27.63$.

Edit: damn it, Google's 5 days doesn't show current, only at close. It's closer to 29$ now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

14 minutes ago, poochyena said:

While Intel hasn't released their 1st quarter earnings yet,

They did release it. Earnings were fine. Guidance was crap. Share price went down. The world continues to spin.

9 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

6% is a big deal.

if it went up 6% every year, then in 40 years (retirement plan)

1,000$ would be 10,000$

6% is literally nothing outside of blue-chips (despite what media outlets would have you believe).

Especially in volatile sectors (or companies without a strong degree of institutional investor confidence),  5-10% swings occur on the order of weeks/months, not years.

2 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

They did release it. Earnings were fine. Guidance was crap. Share price went down. The world continues to spin.

https://www.intc.com/investor-relations/investor-education-and-news/investor-news/press-release-details/2019/Intel-Reports-First-Quarter-2019-Financial-Results/default.aspx

they were the same, margin went down, net income went down, profit per share went down,

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

6% is a big deal in the stock market

if it went up 6% every year, then in 40 years (retirement plan)

1,000$ would be 10,000$

I'm not saying it isn't. I'm saying it's misleading. AMD stocks literally started the day at 27.53$ It's now at 27.63$. That's an increase of 10¢.

There isn't a 6% difference between 27.53$ and 27.63$. It's a .36% increase.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

they were the same, margin went down, net income went down, profit per share went down,

Might wanna edit the "Intel hasn't released their 1st quarter earnings" part from the OP :)

Just now, thorhammerz said:

Might wanna edit the "Intel hasn't released their 1st quarter earnings" part from the OP :)

im not the op? lmao?

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

I'm not saying it isn't. I'm saying it's misleading. AMD stocks literally started the day at 27.53$ It's now at 27.63$. That's an increase of 10¢.

its 29.30 apparently

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/amd-earnings-revenue-q1-2019-2019-4-1028155632

If it was at 36, that'd be interesting, but looking at the chart, this isn't really a news item? Now the earnings results are interesting.

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Aaah I see, Google shows at close, not current. My bad.

Just now, TetraSky said:

Aaah I see, Google shows at close, not current. My bad.

Google does show aftermarket (after the usual delay) prices as a fainter grey line.

I agree this isn't a startling gain, but I have to admit they are doing a lot better than I had pegged them for this time 2 years ago.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, poochyena said:

I derped, thanks. was thinking nvidia

We'll get to infer just how well (or not) their GTX 16xx cards actually sold on May 16th ?.

Big gains Q4/next year earnings once Rome and ryzen 3000 start printing money

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

50 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Nah they reported earnings afterhours of trading though I hate that they call it that when it is just that most people don't trade afterhours but people still do. It is during the afterhours of trading when they reported it the price went up by 5%

They still have to release the new Ryzen series and Navi this year. Both quite awaited. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |