BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

And to think I just bought a dual L5640 server that will show up a week into the event not knowing this... Canon RP would have come first anyways tho :P

Now to get my CPU mad at me... On the plus side tho I can still fold ?

15 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:
17 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Dumb question is Bionic only CPU? Because it's whining about my CPU being busy...

The current projects are CPU only, but some GPU projects shout come up later in the event.

I am assuming we should drop the cpu % usage slightly if we are to fire up our gpu's during that event or does it matter?

19 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

I am assuming we should drop the cpu % usage slightly if we are to fire up our gpu's during that event or does it matter?

If you are running AMD GPUs then no, if you are running green team you need one free core per GPU when you are crunching. This is due to the way the NV drivers work.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@porina So I did some digging. There is a web profile setting that's set to 32 max concurrent threads however when I increase that nothing changes on the server even after I verify that that profile was successfully set to the server. Checking the event log it sees 32 cores not all 64 threads. My other dual socket server it does register both CPU's and all 32 threads.

So I think what I'm dealing with here is a software limitation. It isn't capable of using more than 32 threads per BOINC instance.

So I setup Hyper-V, installed Ubuntu, gave it 32 cores, told it to use at most 97% of the CPU allowing for Hyper-V and the host and we're currently working good. Better than just leaving those 32 threads sitting idle.

1 hour ago, Beowulff83 said:

Just to clarify, it's one free logical processor per card, so one thread, not one physical core.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Day one report is out!

https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/content/1041-BOINC-Pentathlon-2019-Day-1

We really need to find some more cores to throw at this, tell your friends, post status updates, invite people across the forum, get your laptops burning... just do... ANYTHING! 

WE NEED MORE POWER! 

As previously said I will be bringing 20-24 thread online tonight, if any of you can please do, if not invite people! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@Gorgon Are you on-board here? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Off to a nice start but more power needed to beat last years showing.

2 minutes ago, Zep said:

Off to a nice start but more power needed to beat last years showing.

agreed! unfortunately I don't see that happening

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

12 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

agreed! unfortunately I don't see that happening

Early Days Ben, time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Zep said:

Early Days Ben, time will tell.

Lets hope @jakkuh_t gets that shout-out sorted asap. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Ben Quigley said:

WE NEED MORE POWER! 

DQk78KlUEAE-tB5.jpg.f0c629c8ca040f9bc1c8842c9d6c6ea6.jpg

Seriously my landlord is going to hate me enough as it is when she sees the electric bill. I don't have too much more I can add. I have a old 3930K but that'd be a while to get running.

1 minute ago, denjo said:

where is the passion @ LTT

greetings from p3d ^^

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

DQk78KlUEAE-tB5.jpg.f0c629c8ca040f9bc1c8842c9d6c6ea6.jpg

Seriously my landlord is going to hate me enough as it is when she sees the electric bill. I don't have too much more I can add. I have a old 3930K but that'd be a while to get running.

My third rig just blew up... quite literally.... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

My third rig just blew up... quite literally.... 

As my best friend use to tell me back in high-school: Pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously though that's why I'm keeping a close eye on my servers. Checking cables, temps, making sure I don't smell anything burning. Contributing to science is great and all but if I have to blow up a multi-thousand dollar server or two in the process...

I would like pics if you find out what let out the magic smoke.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

As my best friend use to tell me back in high-school: Pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously though that's why I'm keeping a close eye on my servers. Checking cables, temps, making sure I don't smell anything burning. Contributing to science is great and all but if I have to blow up a multi-thousand dollar server or two in the process...

I would like pics if you find out what let out the magic smoke.

i'm not going anywhere near that PSU... 

Luckily it was only an old athlon x4 system 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

i'm not going anywhere near that PSU... 

Luckily it was only an old athlon x4 system 

Wow when you said everything you really mean't everything.

@Windows7ge

I was on VC when it happened... I had my finger on the PSU but felt nothing, it was as I switched it on,,, brand new PSU too... Very very cheap though... now i know why....

And yes, I mean EVERYTHING 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Off to bed soon but just turned on the taps for the TWO new projects. Even if not pushing javelin, I'd like to throw a few units in so we're above zero. I'll NNW that tomorrow and focus on city then.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

34 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

?

image.thumb.png.ddc753d35c0b7148faa5d098251d7738.png

On a side note wtf: (I have 0 points for WCG)

image.png.351f4a6f73e10cf58d1e6649d6ee732e.png

anyway of fixing this?, I've not done Boinc in about or longer than 10 years so...

2 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

?

image.thumb.png.ddc753d35c0b7148faa5d098251d7738.png

On a side note wtf: (I have 0 points for WCG)

image.png.351f4a6f73e10cf58d1e6649d6ee732e.png

anyway of fixing this?, I've not done Boinc in about or longer than 10 years so...

what you trying to fix? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

what you trying to fix? 

Boinc is currently only doing NFS is that ok? in my settings it is to swap projects every 120 minutes but I would have expected it to have at least finished them first, unless there are settings I'm missing. The program couldn't let WCG finish the 5 minute item?

Does boosting CPU frequency do any good for this or would it be a waste? I currently have mine with a 200mhz increase should be able to push the 6600K to 4.2 w/o stability issues

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

Boinc is currently only doing NFS is that ok? in my settings it is to swap projects every 120 minutes but I would have expected it to have at least finished them first, unless there are settings I'm missing. The program couldn't let WCG finish the 5 minute item?

Does boosting CPU frequency do any good for this or would it be a waste? I currently have mine with a 200mhz increase should be able to push the 6600K to 4.2 w/o stability issues

Higher clocks = more WUs

also there is a weight system for how what should be done, try upping the priority for the WCG, btw I'd suggest dropping NFS and doing yoyo 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

14 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Get outta here with your fancy unlocked multiplier. We only deal in locked multipliers here.

3 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Higher clocks = more WUs

also there is a weight system for how what should be done, try upping the priority for the WCG, btw I'd suggest dropping NFS and doing yoyo 

You mean the Resource share bar correct? I was trying to figure out how to do that before I went out but only was able to find something like that on one of 3 projects.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Get outta here with your fancy unlocked multiplier. We only deal in locked multipliers here.

What about my 5.2Ghz P4 threw Linus (bad fingers, windows only allowed 4.8Ghz), or my old P4 that saw 20+Ghz before it either killed the board or itself :P I would run my P4 but I kinda ripped everything out leaving it with nothing but empty usb ports and no network connectivity, getting it working wouldn't be time beneficial either for this week.

2589199.png