BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

With 5 more in validation. Btw would virtual cores work? Because could buy several single core vps from ovh for a month :P

Screenshot_20190506-100453.png

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What?

EPYC don't support quad socket configs afaik. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Egg-Roll said:

With 5 more in validation. Btw would virtual cores work? Because could buy several single core vps from ovh for a month :P

I'm running BONIC on a 32 core Ubuntu Server VM in Hyper-V so I would believe yes.

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

EPYC don't support quad socket configs afaik. 

AFAIK Opteron did. Why did EPYC discontinue it?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

AFAIK Opteron did. Why did EPYC discontinue it?

Its due to the way IF works I believe...

or maybe the size of the sockets and number of mem channels... I'm not 100% sure.

@leadeater any input?

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

15 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Get outta here with your fancy unlocked multiplier. We only deal in locked multipliers here.

IMG_7641.jpeg.08869a26f5e0fc601d75268bbbf48495.jpeg

Lol 4.4GHz base.  Found that screenshot online.

It's an Intel Jaketown Everest made for high frequency stock trading.  I traded for one, but it's arriving in a few weeks unfortunately.  I'll be sure to post here once I get it tested out.

Currently, I'm running a server with dual E5430s running at 2.66GHz for this BOINC pentathlon.  

EDIT:  How are y'all getting those badges?

My CPU collection list (link)

Gaming PC:  i5-8400, EVGA GTX 1080 SC, 16GB DDR4, 750W Corsair PSU

Server #1: 2x Xeon E5430s

My rarest CPU: 1x Intel Jaketown Everest @4.4GHz

2 minutes ago, lazyfortress said:

IMG_7641.jpeg.08869a26f5e0fc601d75268bbbf48495.jpeg

Lol 4.4GHz base.  Found that screenshot online.

It's an Intel Jaketown Everest made for high frequency stock trading.  I traded for one, but it's arriving in a few weeks unfortunately.  I'll be sure to post here once I get it tested out.

Currently, I'm running a server with dual E5430s running at 2.66GHz for this BOINC pentathlon.  

EDIT:  How are y'all getting those badges?

You ask a mod once you have the points required, you can track total points here by searching your BOINC name.

https://boincstats.com/en/stats/search/

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Its due to the way IF works I believe...

or maybe the size of the sockets and number of mem channels... I'm not 100% sure.

@leadeater any input?

He went to bed I don't expect him back for a while. In the meantime 3 days of crunching and I've achieved the Ruby Badge :3. 128 threads is crazy. I might build a server to just run BOINC with as many threads as I can fit in it. Will BOINC run on Opteron/EPYC?

3 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

You ask a mod once you have the points required, you can track total points here by searching your BOINC name.

I can't find my BOINC name there.  I thought for sure it was "lazyfortress."  However, when I go to the YOYO@home webpage (https://www.rechenkraft.net/yoyo/home.php), my credit shows up to be 915.81. 

My CPU collection list (link)

Gaming PC:  i5-8400, EVGA GTX 1080 SC, 16GB DDR4, 750W Corsair PSU

Server #1: 2x Xeon E5430s

My rarest CPU: 1x Intel Jaketown Everest @4.4GHz

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Will BOINC run on Opteron/EPYC?

BOINC is just the management level for the projects and should run on any x86 (and even other architectures). If there is x86 work, it should be fine on server gear too. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

My username doesn't show up either on that site :/

4 minutes ago, lazyfortress said:

I can't find my BOINC name there.  I thought for sure it was "lazyfortress."  However, when I go to the YOYO@home webpage (https://www.rechenkraft.net/yoyo/home.php), my credit shows up to be 915.81. 

did you register and create an account?  I had to create an account with them to utilize BAM.  maybe that is why you are not listed.

1 minute ago, porina said:

BOINC is just the management level for the projects and should run on any x86 (and even other architectures). If there is x86 work, it should be fine on server gear too. 

I was curious. I've always wanted to play with an AMD quad socket board and that's be a great excuse to own one. Apparently I can get a 16 core Opteron for $18 ?. Crazy.

4 more low power intel thread online.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you're new to boinc it may take some time before they get the stats together.

1 minute ago, Beowulff83 said:

did you register and create an account?  I had to create an account with them to utilize BAM.  maybe that is why you are not listed.

I never created an account with them and it works as well as boinc related stuff can.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, Beowulff83 said:

It does appear I have an account because it lets me login but it has no information. It doesn't show my project, or my team, or anything point related.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

It does appear I have an account because it lets me login but it has no information. It doesn't show my project, or my team, or anything point related.

You need to sign up for projects on BAM

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

If you're new to boinc it may take some time before they get the stats together.

I'm not super new I had toyed with BOINC years in the past but in terms of consistent work completion I'm basically new.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I was curious. I've always wanted to play with an AMD quad socket board and that's be a great excuse to own one. Apparently I can get a 16 core Opteron for $18 ?. Crazy.

I would caution with older gear, the CPUs might not be anywhere near as fast as more modern ones. On Intel side I don't run anything older than Sandy Bridge for example, and if I even use that depends on the project as Haswell perked up the FPU considerably. I don't have much AMD stuff for now, but I probably wouldn't run anything older than Ryzen as long as I have to pay for the electricity myself.

You need to sign up for projects on BAM

So like My BAM! Menu > Sign-up for projects > World Community Grid ?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

So like My BAM! Menu > Sign-up for projects > World Community Grid ?

yes, click the sightglass icon and it should link the accounts. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, porina said:

I would caution with older gear, the CPUs might not be anywhere near as fast as more modern ones. On Intel side I don't run anything older than Sandy Bridge for example, and if I even use that depends on the project as Haswell perked up the FPU considerably. I don't have much AMD stuff for now, but I probably wouldn't run anything older than Ryzen as long as I have to pay for the electricity myself.

says this after i bring 6 old budget android devices on line ?

Part of me wants to purely for the fun of playing with a quad socket board completely covered in cores and other gear. Other parts of me want to put that to good use like for BOINC.

I'd toy with the newer EPYC but if it can't go over 2 SKU it kind of removes some of the fun for me. I might look into it though.

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

yes, click the sightglass icon and it should link the accounts. 

It added it but...

User ID doesn't exist in World Community Grid or doesn't have any credit.

Is this just a waiting game while it synchronizes or...

Part of me wants to purely for the fun of playing with a quad socket board completely covered in cores and other gear. Other parts of me want to put that to good use like for BOINC.

I'd toy with the newer EPYC but if it can't go over 2 SKU it kind of removes some of the fun for me. I might look into it though.

I can understand that, but the point of distributed computing is that you don't need silly number of cores in one box, you can have those cores in as many boxes as you like. It doesn't matter.

Now you're making me wonder, how much do over quad Intel servers go for? And how old do you have to go before they're affordable? :D