BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

You mean the Resource share bar correct? I was trying to figure out how to do that before I went out but only was able to find something like that on one of 3 projects.

Yes, you can edit it on the projects web interface or using something like BAM! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

What about my 5.2Ghz P4 threw Linus (bad fingers, windows only allowed 4.8Ghz), or my old P4 that saw 20+Ghz before it either killed the board or itself :P I would run my P4 but I kinda ripped everything out leaving it with nothing but empty usb ports and no network connectivity, getting it working wouldn't be time beneficial either for this week.

Mmmmm...fine you get a pass on that but I'm not able to overclock my Xeons FSB or multiplier. Partly because of heat output at stock and otherwise I'd probably make it unstable. The downtime wouldn't be worth it for the project overall.

So right now I have a cumulative 128 threads crunching OpenZika. I still don't know what my maximum output is but according to my last recorded statistics I'll have the Sapphire Badge before the competition is over and Diamond only a few days after but I have a feeling I'll have Diamond before then.

I'm still coming for you Leadeater. Just you wait when this page finally decides to update and tell me how much I've gotten done today...

@seoz you getting in on this action?

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Yes, you can edit it on the projects web interface or using something like BAM! 

Registered, but nothing shown up yet, I managed to find 2/3 settings via web so now I have things set to a out of 700 points split.

image.png.20461bbe7866c37434fd2f1595d68e51.png

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So right now I have a cumulative 128 threads crunching OpenZika. I still don't know what my maximum output is but according to my last recorded statistics I'll have the Sapphire Badge before the competition is over and Diamond only a few days after but I have a feeling I'll have Diamond before then.

Yea, if I knew it would only run on CPU cores I might of bought my server a little sooner (tho nothing is stopping me from finding and renting a server with cores :P tho that would be pricey af)

I'm not even sure if the server will actually get here before the event ends, stupid Canadian used server market is appalling.

11 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

@seoz you getting in on this action?

I don't know what BOINC is, nor do I know how to set it up. I'd be curious and could look into participating if I'm able to.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Just now, seoz said:

I don't know what BOINC is, nor do I know how to set it up. I'd be curious and could look into participating if I'm able to.

It's like folding but does many subjects not just medical research. Its quite easy to set up most the most part.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, seoz said:

Also if you can think about anyone else to join please do ask them.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

It's like folding but does many subjects not just medical research. Its quite easy to set up most the most part.

Also if you can think about anyone else to join please do ask them.

Oh neat, I'll look into getting myself set up and see what I can do. Exciting stuff. :)

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Just now, seoz said:

Oh neat, I'll look into getting myself set up and see what I can do. Exciting stuff. :)

Currently we are crunching OpenZIKA under World Community Grid and yoyo@home. More details on the OP by Ithanul.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

29 minutes ago, leadeater said:

adorable-come-at-me-bros-of-the-animal-k

Crunch my pretties crunch, show em what 128 threads looks like!

Screenshot_5.thumb.png.1c4161d826d155cd85115a8e626cef28.png

27 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Yea, if I knew it would only run on CPU cores I might of bought my server a little sooner (tho nothing is stopping me from finding and renting a server with cores :P tho that would be pricey af)

I'm not even sure if the server will actually get here before the event ends, stupid Canadian used server market is appalling.

What kind of server? Single, Dual, Quad socket? What socket type?

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

This is what 192 threads looks like, and there's 2 of them. Don't make me do it ?

Spoiler

image.png.e5f1444384b9b3f12f87c60b108e9410.png

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

This is what 192 threads looks like, and there's 2 of them. Don't make me do it ?

Hide contents

image.png.e5f1444384b9b3f12f87c60b108e9410.png

ALL POWER TO THE ENGINES!

Get them crunching! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

25 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Screenshot_5.thumb.png.1c4161d826d155cd85115a8e626cef28.png

What kind of server? Single, Dual, Quad socket? What socket type?

My computer crashed and now is updating ? seems like I oc'd it to about 4.8.

The server will be a dual L5640 with 12GB ram for $210 cad, for $100 ?? more could have gotten it with a enclosure and 36GB more ram from a website mentioned on reddit but they shipped via ups ?

I'll be getting the Roswell 4u rack from Amazon hopefully it goes on sale before the board arrives.

11 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

My computer crashed and now is updating ? seems like I oc'd it to about 4.8.

*laughs in stable base clocks* Even if I overclocked it would only add like 7% to my overall contribution. The risk of instability wouldn't be worth the downtime.

16 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

The server will be a dual L5640 with 12GB ram for $210 cad, for $100 ?? more could have gotten it with a enclosure and 36GB more ram from a website mentioned on reddit but they shipped via ups ?

I'll be getting the Roswell 4u rack from Amazon hopefully it goes on sale before the board arrives.

Cool. I can't say I've had a bad experience with any one shipping company outside of the expected. There was one time when some no-name brand truck delivered me a crushed PSU. That sucked. Otherwise not much I have to say about UPS. It really depends on the individuals who handle your package it's not necessarily the company itself. Recently I had a pair of rack-mount UPS's delivered. 54lbs each so I wasn't surprised to see the outside of the boxes beat to hell (one had a gaping hole in it) when they got to my house. I wouldn't have expected any other delivery company to have fared much better.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:11 PM, leadeater said:

I don't have anything that is allowed to talk to them, I'll maybe Windows one of them just for that. Isn't it a bit late/pointless now since the start date is so close?

You can probably still setup the remote BOINC manager if you want, but if you not planning to shift around projects, then probably just leave them be.

On 5/4/2019 at 7:55 PM, Windows7ge said:

I have a problem. My server keeps getting told there's no tasks available for OpenZika then I get the Status "Communication deferred 00:02:00"

Have I done something wrong? Is this normal?

Edit:

Nevermind more work showed up. I don't know why it lagged for so long.

Probably overload from the event starting.   The Pent tends to stress BOINC project servers.

I will get the 1900X spinned up.  Wanted to get an updated Linux distro up on it, but darn drill weekend had to be on the darn day this event started.  O well, at least I passed the PT test.  So sleepy now.

Going to test the 5960X J batch chip that just came in.  May have to slight steal RAM off my Xeon to get it up.

Javelin Throw will start again on the May 9 at 00:00UTC.

We are currently at 8 in Marathon.  Nice work.  Lets keep going and get some more output.

Capture2.PNG.1e082907fda514fcda459f7f97d0b2f3.PNG

Javelin Throw

Capture3.PNG.8c09b0fdfb1f97bc743d1d9ffd7ad784.PNG

City Run

Capture4.PNG.89c6bff1823280cdd229d4fb123359f1.PNG

Capture.PNG.ae1da0e3052b81df52ad4f9e2efcab02.PNG

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

*laughs in stable base clocks* Even if I overclocked it would only add like 7% to my overall contribution. The risk of instability wouldn't be worth the downtime.

Cool. I can't say I've had a bad experience with any one shipping company outside of the expected. There was one time when some no-name brand truck delivered me a crushed PSU. That sucked. Otherwise not much I have to say about UPS. It really depends on the individuals who handle your package it's not necessarily the company itself. Recently I had a pair of rack-mount UPS's delivered. 54lbs each so I wasn't surprised to see the outside of the boxes beat to hell (one had a gaping hole in it) when they got to my house. I wouldn't have expected any other delivery company to have fared much better.

Yea apparently windows 10 hates overclocking more than xp so I've decided not to oc it(trying msi game boost first)... Thanks Microsoft, Linux here I come.

The problem with ups/FedEx is the same problem with buying local servers, pricing is way too much compared to other options. Simply put if I was to buy the same server I just got with a semi useful rack I'm looking at about $350+ shipping locally which puts it to slightly more than what I'll pay for a all in one, but my way I'll equally get more use from with a little bit of hassle.

Because said site ships using ups it's no longer cheaper because ups fees go based on value which would be fine if the fees included all duty which it doesn't, so I would be looking at $50+- in fees plus $60 in shipping plus taxes, all in USD. Compare that to the $40 USD plus $17 USD from eBay likely going threw USPS/Canada post plus free delivery of the 4u rack. Going threw ups throws a good priced $300 with shipping server into a $400+ USD over priced one.

25 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

We are currently at 8 in Marathon.  Nice work.  Lets keep going and get some more output.

Sadly not, there's a problem with the data pull and it's all screwed up. We're in 13th ish with semi decent odds of getting 12th.

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Sadly not, there's a problem with the data pull and it's all screwed up. We're in 13th ish with semi decent odds of getting 12th.

Looks like the stats have still shit the bed... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

So at a closer look @Windows7ge Spending $100 on UPS expedited should wave the fees (saving $30), plus taxes which would have put the 48gb server at around $328.10 cad.

US Site: https://techmikeny.com/products/energy-efficient-hp-proliant-dl380-g7-server-2x-2-26ghz-l5640-6c-48gb?variant=8997813518396 (also the server case is useless at closer look seeing 2.5" bays instead of the needed 3.5") a equivalent one in Canada would be over $500 plus shipping and taxes. The eBay seller I bought from is actually a server renting company so it is coming directly from the source instead of a 3rd party.

Also MSI OC function worked :)

image.png.5db185356ac5c15bcb234d2b7a904273.png

Holy moly.....OpenZika loves my 1900X under Mint Mate.

:I  Darn thing reporting an estimate 40min run time per OpenZika WU.  Crap, I need to temp load a Linux distro onto the 1950X then.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I installed boinc on multiple android devices and used BAM to log in.  Should the team settings transfer over or is there a way to check and make sure the android devices are crunching for ltt?  I looked and couldn't find a team setting on mobile.

13 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

So at a closer look @Windows7ge Spending $100 on UPS expedited should wave the fees (saving $30), plus taxes which would have put the 48gb server at around $328.10 cad.

US Site: https://techmikeny.com/products/energy-efficient-hp-proliant-dl380-g7-server-2x-2-26ghz-l5640-6c-48gb?variant=8997813518396 (also the server case is useless at closer look seeing 2.5" bays instead of the needed 3.5") a equivalent one in Canada would be over $500 plus shipping and taxes. The eBay seller I bought from is actually a server renting company so it is coming directly from the source instead of a 3rd party.

Also MSI OC function worked :)

Well let's home it shows up soon.

Did you dial it back? WIMP! All or nothing.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Well let's home it shows up soon.

Did you dial it back? WIMP! All or nothing.

I hope the seller ships tomorrow still need a psu possibly thermal paste for it assuming my P4 psu won't work.

I'm guessing you are asking about my cpu? If so it was a one click BIOS option which I guess MSI auto tunes the settings for the best/stable options. Sadly no 4.2+ but at least it isn't causing issues and it's allowing me to fold w/o issues or loss in BOINC (in fact I would say it's a little faster now as well).