What kind of slot is that on my old Mother board?

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
Just now, Kpp550 said:

so are u saying an nvme socket can accept sata ssd

It's not an "NVMe socket", it's an M-keyed M.2 slot. Depending on the key position, the M.2 slot can accept different types of hardware: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying

Which type of SSD goes there, nvme or ahci?
Nvme vs Ahci ssd which are best for long term use, i want to buy so that i can boot from SSD 
Or which SSD u want to suggest me for windows boot i want at least space of 250GB/240 GB

I want to ask one more thing does SSD give u exactly the same amount of space told on paper or it's like memory cards says it's 16GB but gives u max 14.7GB?

(and if u r confusing with bit and byte just take as per ur convenience their usual meaning)

Does that board support booting from nvme?

Screenshot (265).png

Screenshot (266).png

It's PCIe M.2 so nvme.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You won't find a ahci to go into the M.2 port.

It's an M.2 port but M.2 is a form factor, not all M.2 SSD's are NVME but all NVME SSD's are M.2

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

It's PCIe M.2 so nvme.

can u boot from them,

ii am concerned bcuz of LINUS old video.

6 minutes ago, Kpp550 said:

Which type of SSD goes there, nvme or ahci?

It looks like an M-keyed M.2 slot, so it'll take NVMe and SATA M.2 SSDs.

Nvme vs Ahci ssd which are best for long term use, i want to buy so that i can boot from SSD 

It doesn't matter.

Or which SSD u want to suggest me for windows boot i want at least space of 250GB/240 GB

The easy answer would probably be Samsung Evo 970.

I want to ask one more thing does SSD give u exactly the same amount of space told on paper or it's like memory cards says it's 16GB but gives u max 14.7GB?

Storage manufacturers measure gigabytes as 1,000,000,000 bytes. Windows measure them as 2^30 or 1,073,741,824 bytes. So Windows will report a lower number, but it's the same amount of bytes, as confusing as that is.

Does that board support booting from nvme?

Yes.

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It looks like an M-keyed M.2 slot, so it'll take NVMe and SATA M.2 SSDs.

Sorry, apparently it only accepts M.2 NVMe not SATA SSD. I just found that out.

10 minutes ago, ELECTRISK said:

You won't find a ahci to go into the M.2 port.

It's an M.2 port but M.2 is a form factor, not all M.2 SSD's are NVME but all NVME SSD's are M.2

What does it mean by "M.2 form factor" are u refering to electrical component/socket

1 minute ago, Kpp550 said:

Sorry, apparently it only accepts M.2 NVMe not SATA SSD. I just found that out.

M-Keyed M.2 slots can accept SATA M.2 SSDs like https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-Internal-MZ-N5E250BW/dp/B00TGIVZTW. The only reason why it wouldn't is some boneheaded decision to disable it at the UEFI level.

What does it mean by "M.2 form factor" are u refering to electrical component/socket

Well that's part of it.

The M.2 Form Factor looks like this:

formfaktoren-vergleich_2.jpg.6ef5e1668c0ffe33e03f60e49b4d9cb9.jpg

Basically it's the size of the SSD and the socket it uses.

If a M.2 drive is NVME compliant, the manufacturer must meet certain speed and design requirements.

M.2 drives that aren't NVME compliant still will look the same and function however will not have as good of read and write speeds. 

Just now, Kpp550 said:

It's not an "NVMe socket", it's an M-keyed M.2 slot. Depending on the key position, the M.2 slot can accept different types of hardware: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying

2 minutes ago, Kpp550 said:

Careful. 

As I explained above, nvme sockets don't exist. 

It's an M.2 port, which can depending on the key position, accept SATA drives.

1 minute ago, ELECTRISK said:

Careful.

SATA SSD's, like the Crucial MX 500 use SATA ports.

M.2 slots can accept SATA M.2 SSD's. 

wait wait wait!
just give me a second

7 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The only reason why it wouldn't is some boneheaded decision to disable it at the UEFI level.

Haswell era M.2 slots can only do NVMe so it's not unrealistic

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

wait wait wait!
just give me a second

You have all the time you need, you can slow down all you like to respond. This forum isn't an instant messaging platform so take as long as you like to type.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

You have all the time you need, you can slow down all you like to respond. This forum isn't an instant messaging platform so take as long as you like to type.

Actually moderators will ban those who don't respond within 5 seconds or less.

Don't spread misinformation. 

22 minutes ago, ELECTRISK said:

, not all M.2 SSD's are NVME but all NVME SSD's are M.2

Doesn't need to be m.2 form factor for nvme. You can get PCIe slot nvme drives. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Doesn't need to be m.2 form factor for nvme. You can get PCIe slot nvme drives. 

True but not applicable to OP so I didn't want to confuse him. 

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I'm not concerned about what the OP doesn't have.

actually it's skylake only board

Anyway, getting on track here.

@Kpp550: Your motherboard's M.2 slot supports NVMe or SATA SSDs, provided they are in the M.2 formfactor. To make things even more confusing for you, it also accepts sizes 2280 (longer) and what looks like 2240 (shorter). But most M.2 SSDs you find will be in 2280. You can also boot from any SSD in that slot.

So have at it. If you need recommendations I'm partial to Samsung's stuff, but I'm also using a Crucial SSD at the moment and have no issues with it. Intel, Western Digital, and Kingston are other brands to give a look at. Just be aware if the SSD is really cheap for some reason, it may be a DRAMless one which may impact performance the moment you give it anything more than a handful of megabytes of stuff to transfer.

As always, make sure to look up reviews on websites.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

Anyway, getting on track here.

@Kpp550: Your motherboard's M.2 slot supports NVMe or SATA SSDs, provided they are in the M.2 formfactor. To make things even more confusing for you, it also accepts sizes 2280 (longer) and what looks like 2240 (shorter). But most M.2 SSDs you find will be in 2280. You can also boot from any SSD in that slot.

So have at it. If you need recommendations I'm partial to Samsung's stuff, but I'm also using a Crucial SSD at the moment. Intel, Western Digital, and Kingston are other brands to give a look at. Just be aware if the SSD is really cheap for some reason, it may be a DRAMless one which may impact performance the moment you give it anything more than a handful of megabytes of stuff to transfer.

As always, make sure to look up reviews on websites.

Naruhodo, that were the things which i wanted to know.
Now this clears some doubts.

8 minutes ago, Kpp550 said:

Naruhodo, that were the things which i wanted to know.
Now this clears some doubts.

Also just so I can put some proof in the pudding, here's the manual for the board: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/H170-PRO/E12046_H170-PRO_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

Page vii (or 7 out of 87 in total) states:

H170 Express Chipset with RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 and Intel Rapid Storage Technology 14 support
- 1 x SATA Express port (compatible with 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports)
- 1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)
- 6 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray, 2 from SATA Express)
- Supports Intel ® Smart Response Technology*
* These functions work depending on the type of CPU installed.
** - M.2 Socket and SATA Express slots support PCIe and SATA devices in PCIe or SATA
mode.
- When a device in PCIe mode is installed on the M.2 socket, SATA Express supports
devices in both PCIe or SATA modes.
When a device in SATA mode is installed on the M.2 socket, SATA Express supports one
PCIe mode device or one SATA mode device (installed on SATA_2 port only). In this setup,
the system sets a higher priority for M.2 Socket than the SATA Express slots

On 4/23/2019 at 11:37 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

Also just so I can put some proof in the pudding, here's the manual for the board: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/H170-PRO/E12046_H170-PRO_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

Page vii (or 7 out of 87 in total) states:

First of all, thanks very much for your help.

So linus in this video is also showing a way to people with old gen motherboard which didn't have have M.2 slots using those Silver Stone's PCIe Cards which are capable of only nvme and m.2 sata ssd, that's from where my misunderstanding started.

Now conclusion -
We got M.2 socket on my mother board (luckily) which supports both nvme and sata ssd (M.2 version).