Jobs

KieranTHeBesT

I dunno what post secundary is but I'd recommend Computer Science.

2 minutes ago, timl132 said:

I dunno what post secundary is

2 minutes ago, timl132 said:

but I'd recommend

Oh boy

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

Oh boy

Yeah ik right. I just thought I give it a try.

19 minutes ago, KieranTHeBesT said:

To get into game design and game programming what classes should i take in post secondary?

:o

Hmm, let me guess............... maybe game design and game programming?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

20 minutes ago, KieranTHeBesT said:

To get into game design and game programming what classes should i take in post secondary?

Pick one...

Designing games and programming skills are far apart and waaaaaaay different diciplines.

If I where you I would call a local tertiary facility or even contact a couple of hte larger publishers and ask them what they need and look for in new employee's.

If I were to have a guess, for game design I expect art/graphic design and media would be necessary, for actual coding your more common computer science subjects.

But please call a uni or game dev first.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If I am to make a list off the curriculum in my school, it would be... 

1) intro to OOP programming which teaches Java, an object oriented programming language

2) data structure which teaches... Well data structures like trees, lists, stack, and queue as well as how to implement them with interfaces and design patterns. 

3) discrete structures which is a theory class that serves an entry introduction to descrete mathematics.

4) programming abstractions which is more a less a rigorus programming class that test your knowledge from #1 and #2 to the breaking point. Students spend more than 10 hours a week on average coding an application that is over ten thousand lines of code. Various software design patterns and advance use of object oriented techniques as well as data structures are put into practice in a large projects. 

5) system fundamentals which teaches extremely low level computer programming and learning about computer architecture. In fact, materials here is only one step higher level than the electrons and laws of physics. Student spend roughly 10 hours a week on average writing assembly code and learning about digital circuits, how to implement CPU registers, how to implement ALU, and CPU pilining and multicycle CPU. 

6) introduction into theory of computation. This is where computer science and discrete math intersects. It is a theory based class and focuses on teaching Turing machine, finite state automata as well as theory of languages. 

7) computer networks. I haven't taken this course yet but it is about networking so involves network protocols and such. 

8)system architecture 2. Like #5, also low level programming but higher level than assembly and digital circuits. It is precursor course to operating system and from what I heard from upper class men, it is #5 on steroids and one of the most difficult class. Student will be coding in C programming language and implementing various Linux system utilities like bash terminal and operating system networking in the C programming language. Time spent on coding average nearly 20 hours per week. 

9) databases. It is the precursor to software engineering. Materials taught here include sql database as well as online technologies like Java servelet. Also teaches UML and sequence diagram. Final project consist of a web application with MySQL database in the backend. 

10 ) software engineering. This is ultimate senior year course. Students will work in a team and design some complex application. I heard some projects from this course in the past actually went on to become commercial softwares.

after these above comes the electives which depends on what you specialize in. Since op is thinking about gaming programming, the courses would be ...

11) operating system. Which is extension of #8. Students learn kernel, task scheduling and such. 

12) computer graphics which is pretty much studying openGL and the math behind it all.

13) computer game programing which is about making 2d games and teaching basic game programming. Students design their own rendering engine and basic game ai, logic, physics, collisions, and graphics ect. 

14). Advance game programming. This is about making 3-d games and will teach how to create a game engine, using a game engine. Machine learning algorithms and advance game AI. Might be taught using unity or unreal engine. 

15) any of the two more electives from the following.

Computer security, computer vision, computer visualization,  multimedia system , artificial intelligence, machine learning, computation geometry, advance programming in Unix, introduction to robotics. 

Of course students will also take classes like calculus I, II, III, differential equations, physics, chemistry, physics/chemistry labs, as well as linear algebra, ethics, statsitics,  and technical writting to make you well rounded. One none major course from this category does stand out though which is finite mathmatical structures which is extension of descert structures. It teaches graph theory and counting principles and ect. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I just copy paste VBA from the net, that got me quite far.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz