How can I test my RM1000x before I return it?

ch3w2oy

I've pretty much narrowed it down to being 100% dead because I can't get it to turn anything on.. 

I thought it might be my new build as it's the first time it's being turned on but I went ahead and took a PSU out of the kids PC and it turns the motherboard and water loop on no problem, but I didn't try using a monitor to make sure everything is working correctly, just testing power and getting air out of my loop right now.. 

I tried just the motherboard wire and CPU wire on the RMX on the kids PC while I had that power supply out and it wouldn't do anything for that PC either.. 

Before I return it Im just curious if I'm missing something or something, you know? No? .. Micro Center isn't exactly close for me so if there's something I can try, like throwing it at the wall or something, let me know... Never had a corsair PSU so maybe I missed a switch or something.. 

Just seems really odd that I can't get anything from it.. 

Thanks! 

20190411_231615.thumb.jpg.572deddd7802ce2a60708b4c8e4e2ee6.jpg20190411_231623.thumb.jpg.c733316a73245f8a561429a4cc63e323.jpg

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

The fact that it won't power up the other system pretty much confirms your suspicions that it is indeed the RM1000x

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Judging from your personal testing I think you've hit the nail on the head on what the problem is

Btw your system looks pretty sweet so far

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

The fact that it won't power up the other system pretty much confirms your suspicions that it is indeed the RM1000x

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Judging from your personal testing I think you've hit the nail on the head on what the problem is

I figured. I'm still new to building so not sure if I missed something or what not..

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Btw your system looks pretty sweet so far

Thanks! The soft tubing is temporary until I decide what I really want. Since there's more silver in my case than I anticipated (CPU block, GPU backplate (Radeon VII) and the Lian Li badge in the back of case), I'm thinking about going chrome or silver tubing over PETG.. Now I'm also considering putting it off until Zen 2 is released..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

Power switch on the back of the unit switched on?

You can do the paperclip test. Plug in a molex case fan or something and see if it spins. The fan in the RMx unit should also spin for a few seconds when it's powered on before it goes in to its zero RPM mode.

If it still doesn't work then looks like you're making a trip in to microcenter. If you bought online to have it delivered, would Microcenter pay for return shipping if its faulty? Maybe ask them and see if they will send you a paid return shipping label to use to send it back to them. Otherwise you could always go through RMA with Corsair (though, if you just bought it I would recommend the store you bought it from as that's usually faster, and gives you options such as a refund).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

Power switch on the back of the unit switched on?

You can do the paperclip test. Plug in a molex case fan or something and see if it spins. The fan in the RMx unit should also spin for a few seconds when it's powered on before it goes in to its zero RPM mode.

If it still doesn't work then looks like you're making a trip in to microcenter. If you bought online to have it delivered, would Microcenter pay for return shipping if its faulty? Maybe ask them and see if they will send you a paid return shipping label to use to send it back to them. Otherwise you could always go through RMA with Corsair (though, if you just bought it I would recommend the store you bought it from as that's usually faster, and gives you options such as a refund).

I'll give that a try.. Thanks! The fan doesn't spin up at all when I flip the switch, not sure how the zero rpm thing works..

1 minute ago, ch3w2oy said:

I'll give that a try.. Thanks! The fan doesn't spin up at all when I flip the switch, not sure how the zero rpm thing works..

The fan on the PSU itself doesn't matter, what should spin is the molex fan you connect to it...

See the guide for the paper clip method:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

The fan on the PSU itself doesn't matter, what should spin is the molex fan you connect to it...

See the guide for the paper clip method:

I'm gonna try it when I get home.. But what does that mean, the cables are no good? Either way, something is wrong, right? 

I would give the paperclip test a try with a molex fan or something similar.  It's not outside the realm of possibility that you could have a bad cable.  If it turns out the cable is bad, our technical support staff can send you a replacement to you under warranty.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

19 hours ago, ch3w2oy said:

Micro Center isn't exactly close for me so if there's something I can try, like throwing it at the wall or something, let me know...

Micro Center can test it for you as well as test the replacement.  Just go to the Knowledge Bar (if your store has one).

2 hours ago, Corsair Nick said:

I would give the paperclip test a try with a molex fan or something similar.  It's not outside the realm of possibility that you could have a bad cable.  If it turns out the cable is bad, our technical support staff can send you a replacement to you under warranty.

No luck.. I really wanted a Corsair unit too.. 

I've submitted a ticket to give Corsair a chance as I really their products. You can see I started another thread because I would like a unit ASAP and I don't mind buying another one but if we can somehow resolve this issue I would love to stay with you guys as I own several Corsair products and have never had an issue! Thanks Nick!

20190412_211017.thumb.jpg.47fb679a88812560e6f249d31f90fde1.jpg

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Micro Center can test it for you as well as test the replacement.  Just go to the Knowledge Bar (if your store has one).

Maybe. I just want to order one at this point and return this when I get a chance.. 

10 hours ago, ch3w2oy said:

I've submitted a ticket to give Corsair a chance

Why, when you have reseller warranty?

It sure seems like a DOA, but to really rule out a bad cable, measure with a multimeter to check that the cable(s) are OK. Could do the paper-clip test straight on the PSU without ATX-cable. 

On 4/12/2019 at 6:11 PM, ch3w2oy said:

I've submitted a ticket to give Corsair a chance as I really their products. You can see I started another thread because I would like a unit ASAP and I don't mind buying another one but if we can somehow resolve this issue I would love to stay with you guys as I own several Corsair products and have never had an issue! Thanks Nick!

We actually have an advanced RMA service where we ship the replacement first.  Might be an option you want to take advantage of since you want the replacement as quick as possible.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/