Prince Harry: Fortnite should be banned

Andreas Lilja
6 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

My point was that just about everything is bad for your health. No point in getting all worked up about something that isn't horrible for you. Also what do you think they will do if they aren't playing video games? Probably watch TV at which point it's no better. 

It’s not healthy to play for hours on end, nothing wrong with a game or two.

And the influx of parenting experts has not failed to make me shake my head.

There is more to existence than your perceived personal rights.  News flash, this isn't black and white and you don't actually have any rights if you wish to live in a community, you must abide the rules that best suit the whole community.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

43 minutes ago, floofer said:

In that case, most hobbies aren't healthy either. Work isn't healthy. Breathing isn't healthy. Hell, living isn't healthy. I guess we all better crawl into a hole and die.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

In that case, most hobbies aren't healthy either. Work isn't healthy. Breathing isn't healthy. Hell, living isn't healthy. I guess we all better crawl into a hole and die.

I may sound like an old man, but it’s not healthy to sit at your desk looking at a screen for hours. Going running or getting some fresh air, reading - using your mind, much healthier.

Work is debatable because it depends where you work. 

13 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Not really, unless you are overworked work helps you evolve, you create goods and services for the society making it work, and also you get money for you and your family and dont end up homeless.

Its not just about health, its overall combined disadvantages of purely gaming ignoring your life and work, retirement, health, family and so on, you become just a burden to yourself, your family/friends and society, just like alcoholics, gamblers, drug addicts and so on.

Gaming should be limited to 2-3 hours/day, not fully banned it makes no sense to fully ban gaming, but limiting it to make sure kids that wont listen to parents cannot get hooked on all these shit games, parents allow them to play to spoil them and they end up addicted.

Its like "hey lets legalize alcohol and gambling for kids", but then their parents dont do their job properly and the kids end up addicts, and to hell goes society and families, gaming is the least worst but still causes addiction and life quality loss.

12 minutes ago, floofer said:

I may sound like an old man, but it’s not healthy to sit at your desk looking at a screen for hours. Going running or getting some fresh air, reading - using your mind, much healthier.

Work is debatable because it depends where you work. 

It's also not healthy to run excessively. That "fresh" air is usually filled with pollutants, and along with the fresh air general comes excessive exposure to sun light, and the unfortunate increased risk of skin cancer. Reading also isn't much healthier as you're starting at (generally) small text for long periods of time as well -- assuming it's a physical book in the first place. Using your mind? You use your mind plenty when playing games too.

The vast majority of work that exists is going to be unhealthy. It's either going to involve something toxic, excessive sitting, or some non-zero risk of harm.

1 minute ago, yian88 said:

Not really, unless you are overworked work helps you evolve, you create goods and services for the society making it work, and also you get money for you and your family and dont end up homeless.

So then everyone should be required to work and not be allowed to choose homelessness as it can burden someone else?

1 minute ago, yian88 said:

Its not just about health, its overall combined disadvantages of purely gaming ignoring your life and work, retirement, health, family and so on, you become just a burden to yourself, your family/friends and society, just like alcoholics, gamblers, drug addicts and so on.

Gaming should be limited to 2-3 hours/day, not fully banned it makes no sense to fully ban gaming, but limiting it to make sure kids that wont listen to parents cannot get hooked on all these shit games, parents allow them to play to spoil them and they end up addicted.

Its like "hey lets legalize alcohol and gambling for kids", but then their parents dont do their job properly and the kids end up addicts, and to hell goes society and families, gaming is the least worst but still causes addiction and life quality loss.

I guess we should also ban sugar to just 5g/day and just unhealthy foods in general to 1oz/day. We should also ban all cars (other than for short 1 mile trips) and institute pure public transportation to lower pollutants and risk of crash-related fatalities.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

I guess we should also ban sugar to just 5g/day and just unhealthy foods in general to 1oz/day. We should also ban all cars (other than for short 1 mile trips) and institute pure public transportation to lower pollutants and risk of crash-related fatalities.

Whilst I think the idea of an outright ban is silly, the ideals behind this thinking aren't.  There is a good push for moderation of unhealthy food, and while pushes to tax sugary foods always get defeated in parliament here (and rightly so) the education campaigns to reduce such consumption are still funded by the government.   

It's simply about moderation and education.  sometimes society has to do things to ensure it isn't swamped with a generational plague of fat lazy twits because majority of the parents either let their kids play flat out because it was their dam right (pushing against rhetoric like prince harries) or because they are moronic parents.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Whilst I think the idea of an outright ban is silly, the ideals behind this thinking aren't.  There is a good push for moderation of unhealthy food, and while pushes to tax sugary foods always get defeated in parliament here (and rightly so) the education campaigns to reduce such consumption are still funded by the government.   

It's simply about moderation and education.  sometimes society has to do things to ensure it isn't swamped with a generational plague of fat lazy twits because majority of the parents either let their kids play flat out because it was their dam right (pushing against rhetoric like prince harries) or because they are moronic parents.

I'm all for educating children (and adults) about risks of various behaviors. But at the end of the day, I don't think there should be regulation on how much time an individual can spend playing games, or how much sugar they can eat, or how they should spend their money, etc...

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

I'm all for educating children (and adults) about risks of various behaviors. But at the end of the day, I don't think there should be regulation on how much time an individual can spend playing games, or how much sugar they can eat, or how they should spend their money, etc...

I'm agreeing with that,  just emphasizing that if an activity (even if only an individual one) posses a cost to the community, then people in that community have a right to demand things of said issue.  They have to understand that their demands might be too far reaching and unfair, however we also have to accept that if our actions are causing an unfair cost o society the those activities might be suppressed using legal force.  

For example smoking,  one can argue you are not effecting anyone else by smoking in your own home, but when you have a heart attack and need an ambulance, then your self inflicted smoking habit has taken an ambulance away from someone else unfairly.   Hence why a pack of smokes in Australia cost $40.

13 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

It's also not healthy to run excessively. That "fresh" air is usually filled with pollutants, and along with the fresh air general comes excessive exposure to sun light, and the unfortunate increased risk of skin cancer. Reading also isn't much healthier as you're starting at (generally) small text for long periods of time as well -- assuming it's a physical book in the first place. Using your mind? You use your mind plenty when playing games too.

The vast majority of work that exists is going to be unhealthy. It's either going to involve something toxic, excessive sitting, or some non-zero risk of harm.

So then everyone should be required to work and not be allowed to choose homelessness as it can burden someone else?

The problem with Harry and your answers is that you view the world in black and white its either  banned or full freedom.

About work and health, work is necessary to survive and has great benefits to an individual the family, community and society even if it is unhealthy, gaming, gambling etc has no benefits, work is a calculated benefit, you trade time and sometimes(most of the jobs) your health aswell, but there is no way around that, you cant compare the work requirement to survive to sitting and gaming all day on someone else's money doing nothing, even if you are an adult and work to support yourself, if after work you also game 4-8 hours and barely get any sleep, you are destroying your health and life many times faster than just work alone. Gaming in moderation 1-2 hours a day is fine.

Im calling for moderation laws on things that can become or have become an epidemic.

First before banning sugar and other stuff you have to think what you can and cannot ban, it would be impossible to limit an individuals sugar intake, because most sugar health issues comes from processed foods and its easy to get sugars from many sources, gaming or smokes on the other hand are easily regulated. I would ban all gambling boxes in games for people under 18, and limit playtime to 2-3 hours day, that is more than plenty for a child. I would ban smokes completely they are freaking retarded and most people struggle to quit after they started smoking in middle/high school because "it was cool", and they cant quit, i know a dozen people that struggle to quit smokes and regret having started it. If it was banned they would have never been able to get addicted in the first place, its not easy(next to impossible) to mass produce tobacco illegally and distribute it unlike sugar or fatty foods which are everywhere and anyone can make them.

49 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

It's also not healthy to run excessively. That "fresh" air is usually filled with pollutants, and along with the fresh air general comes excessive exposure to sun light, and the unfortunate increased risk of skin cancer.

You’d have to try to have excessive exposure to sunlight. It’s pretty good for you to get some vitamin D. Too much is when you get sunburnt, like yes of course you are right, but you have to go out of your way. 

Reading also isn't much healthier as you're starting at (generally) small text for long periods of time as well -- assuming it's a physical book in the first place. Using your mind? You use your mind plenty when playing games too.

Theres a difference in the brain regions used when visualizing a setting when reading a book, and pwning noobs on csgo. 

Well you can take examples like this both ways. 

Im not saying you shouldn’t be able to play Fortnite, but it’s like pokies - it wants to trap people to play for hours on end. Hours on end on a computer is not good for you, saying other things aren’t healthy either does not make it more or less healthy.

7 minutes ago, floofer said:

You’d have to try to have excessive exposure to sunlight. It’s pretty good for you to get some vitamin D. Too much is when you get sunburnt, like yes of course you are right, but you have to go out of your way. 

No, it's actually quite easy to get too much exposure to UV radiation from sunlight.

7 minutes ago, floofer said:

Theres a difference in the brain regions used when visualizing a setting when reading a book, and pwning noobs on csgo. 

Well you can take examples like this both ways. 

Im not saying you shouldn’t be able to play Fortnite, but it’s like pokies - it wants to trap people to play for hours on end. Hours on end on a computer is not good for you, saying other things aren’t healthy either does not make it more or less healthy.

An author of a book also wants to trap you for hours on end. That's literally the intended purpose of ALL entertainment. Hours on end buried in a book isn't good for you either. Pretending like video games are so much worse doesn't make reading any healthier.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Bet Harry is whipped.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 hours ago, nnfancois said:

yeh but the last time i checked people dont like being blinded willfully,unless your kids do which is weird 

I am unsure what you are even talking about. People get cataracts from the sun all the time. 

5 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah it baffles me that people think it's impossible to parent kids to the point where they just want to go and have the government do it for them. Time to mandate foam on all cabinets and doors and all children to wear helmets I guess. 

100%  I hate self centered parents who cant take time away from themselves to parent their children and then blame every outlier, including the kid - but never themselves.  I ******* LOVE being a dad.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

3 hours ago, yian88 said:

This isnt just about bad parenting, its a bout a medium that badly influences kids and adults like drugs. 

Many families are fighting with addiction of one or more of their beloved ones, be it drugs, alcohol or games, both adults and kids.

People freedoms are already heavily restricted, and i would add more to those, limit alcohol sale per person to one bottle daily or anyone who wants to buy drinks needs an alcohol card that you can recharge monthly which allows you to buy a certain ammount each day. Sounds stupid and not the most practical, but why should you have the freedom to become an alcoholic or drug addict, homeless, destroy your family and maybe hurt other people too?

Moderation is key and not all individuals can achieve it, certainly not kids. I would say limit children gaming to 2-3hours of gaming total per day, ban all smokes sales, and limit alcohol per person daily they can buy. My family was ruined by my alcoholic father, and my youth was ruined by gaming addiction, my grandfather also died from lung cancer at 58 due to heavy smoking, and if there was bans to all these we would have been far better today without that addictive garbage.

You may want to keep your freedom of moderation id say you shouldnt have that freedom, just because it turned out good for you it doesnt mean it will be fine for everyone.

Banning or restricting things like gambling, gaming and substances would provide an amazing boost of health and general improvements to social/family life everywhere around the world, and you lose nothing in the process.

My step father was an alcoholic, my sister is an alcoholic, and my brother has a drug addiction. To compare video game addiction to any of those is just sickening to me. 

3 hours ago, floofer said:

I live in Minnesota. It's cold as hell more than half the year so you dont really have alot of options. You can only do so many things when it is dangerously cold outside. 

50 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

No, it's actually quite easy to get too much exposure to UV radiation from sunlight.

Not really. It would take a good day at the beach with no sunblock for that. 

50 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

An author of a book also wants to trap you for hours on end. That's literally the intended purpose of ALL entertainment. Hours on end buried in a book isn't good for you either. Pretending like video games are so much worse doesn't make reading any healthier.

But authors of books don’t include screens that are bad for your eyes, loot boxes or addiction mechanism. 

11 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I live in Minnesota. It's cold as hell more than half the year so you dont really have alot of options. You can only do so many things when it is dangerously cold outside. 

Watch TV, hang out at a bar, go for a drive, ski. People did live before the year 2000 believe it or not.

I suppose banning bad parents is too much to ask for.

22 hours ago, maartendc said:

Well, he is going to be a dad soon, Let him explain to his kids they can't play Fortnite. See what happens. LOL

Let's face it, he'll be leaving that up to the nanny.

1 minute ago, floofer said:

Watch TV, hang out at a bar, go for a drive, ski. People did live before the year 2000 believe it or not.

Watching a TV is just as bad. Alcohol is certainly worse. Unhealthy bar food is worse. Driving in snow/ice (or even just in the extreme cold) is worse. Skiing is expensive and also far more unhealthy as the risk of getting hurt is decently high -- certainly much higher than the risk of a little blue light (which may not even be harmful).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, floofer said:

Watching TV is basically the same thing as playing video games so it really doesn't make a difference at that point. Yeah I love sking and all but it is expensive and far away. It's not some thing that you can do all the time. Well you need to be 21 to go to a bar so I dont think that would work for alot of people that you are proposing this to.