Prince Harry: Fortnite should be banned

Andreas Lilja

What is this, the early 90's again? Duke, you're not all out of bubble gum, you're just drunk.

I hate Fortnite and I hate Epic even more, so I just don't play it. I most certainly wouldn't want it banned no matter what.

7 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah once i saw the statistics behind mental health issues and social media it's pretty clear it has a huge effect. Attempted suicide in women shot up for the generation that had social media since they were young. 

I'd love a link to this if you can

so I can spam it on social media lol

15 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Or maybe just parent your children? Having the state mandate how someone restricts and raises their kids is not smart. Its not that hard to moderate how much your kids play video games. I know my parent did but they were also fairly reasonable about it as well. 

exactly, simple logic but so much laziness

honestly I dont care as long as my kid gets his chores, homework, some physical activity, and in person socializing done he can game all he wants but I still kick him off at times just because i'm the parent and I said so find something else to do

but on topic how the heck is this tech news this seems more like general discussion

37 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Or maybe just parent your children? Having the state mandate how someone restricts and raises their kids is not smart. Its not that hard to moderate how much your kids play video games. I know my parent did but they were also fairly reasonable about it as well. 

Most parents wont do it or dont know how or dont care, which means you end up with a lot of kids hooked on games.

In this case what is best to do? since video games are addicting and affect kids life and development severely, limiting games play hours by law makes sense, no more 18hours binge gaming for anyone regardless if its a kid or adult, its just not healthy. I know many other activities are in the same category, like drinking yourself to death 24/7 and we didnt ban alcohol so yeah the government is dumb and too selective.

The problem isn't the games. The problem lies with parents who aren't interested in parenting.

Children spending 4+ hours a day on video games is not normal. Yeah, kids will be more likely to play with their friends online because it's more convenient than going over to see them IRL, but 4 hours a day is not normal for children to be doing.

At most, 1 or 2 hours is reasonable and the kids should have enough parental engagement not to need any amount of video game time.

Also, why's he targetting fortnite? It's pretty tame isn't it? Why not target mature games like RDR2 and blame parents for letting their kids play very adult games?

It's my personal view that parents today suck at parenting and if they want their kid to get outside and climb some trees then they should be out there getting the kids to play rather than letting a computer babysit their kid. I see kids left unsupervised browsing YouTube and watching for HOURS on end. That's a solid oof.

27 minutes ago, Gealach said:

The problem isn't the games. The problem lies with parents who aren't interested in parenting.

Children spending 4+ hours a day on video games is not normal. Yeah, kids will be more likely to play with their friends online because it's more convenient than going over to see them IRL, but 4 hours a day is not normal for children to be doing.

At most, 1 or 2 hours is reasonable and the kids should have enough parental engagement not to need any amount of video game time.

Also, why's he targetting fortnite? It's pretty tame isn't it? Why not target mature games like RDR2 and blame parents for letting their kids play very adult games?

It's my personal view that parents today suck at parenting and if they want their kid to get outside and climb some trees then they should be out there getting the kids to play rather than letting a computer babysit their kid. I see kids left unsupervised browsing YouTube and watching for HOURS on end. That's a solid oof.

I wouldn't say fortnite is tame.  I know peoples kids who wake up, turn on fortnite, eat link, back to fortnite, Eat dinner, Back to fortnite, sleep, wake up fortnite. Rince and repeat for 14 hours a day.  Alot of that is on the parents, But the kids themselves are addicted to this shit

Simply none of the Prince's business. He can ban Fortnite in his own households (plural), but whether or not I or my children play Fortnite or for how long we play it, is seriously none of his business and none of the government's business. 

This is the same person who thought it would be funny for a member of the English royal family to turn up to a fancy dress party dressed as a Wehrmacht soldier.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

53 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Most parents wont do it or dont know how or dont care, which means you end up with a lot of kids hooked on games.

In this case what is best to do? since video games are addicting and affect kids life and development severely, limiting games play hours by law makes sense, no more 18hours binge gaming for anyone regardless if its a kid or adult, its just not healthy. I know many other activities are in the same category, like drinking yourself to death 24/7 and we didnt ban alcohol so yeah the government is dumb and too selective.

Bad parenting is not an excuse to creat laws restricting people's freedom. 

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

I'd love a link to this if you can

so I can spam it on social media lol

exactly, simple logic but so much laziness

honestly I dont care as long as my kid gets his chores, homework, some physical activity, and in person socializing done he can game all he wants but I still kick him off at times just because i'm the parent and I said so find something else to do

but on topic how the heck is this tech news this seems more like general discussion

That's basically what my parents did. I got my stuff done and did my fair share of sports and exercise so I was allowed to get my friends over and get some snacks and play halo or whatever game we were playing at the time all night until we crashed. The next day we usually would go do something like go out to the lake. Those nights are some of my fondest memories of childhood so for people to say they want to illegalize and deprive people of such experiences is just dumb. 

PLOT TWIST:

Prince Harry's account got banned, now hes a mad 12 year old.

IF I CANT PLAY NO ONE CAN PLAY

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

40 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

This is the same person who thought it would be funny for a member of the English royal family to turn up to a fancy dress party dressed as a Wehrmacht soldier.

That would be funny.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

15 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/prince-harry-fortnite-banned-ymca-heads-together-a4109036.html

Well last time I checked Fortnite or social media doesn't ruin your organs or get you in trouble.

We're back to the early-to-mid 1990s. Computers bad.

Maybe if we were royals we'd have the money to have more diverse pastimes.

I think he is wrong for the most part, kids should not be playing games like fortnite, mine don't and they understand why.

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That would be funny.

The British royal legion did not agree.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

15 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Well last time I checked Fortnite or social media doesn't ruin your organs or get you in trouble.

It can ruin your eyes,which are organs.

5 hours ago, yian88 said:

Children "moderate their internet usage".... u serious? not even parents know how to do it, or care about it let alone the kids themselves.

This is a stretch but its the same as saying allow children to drink alcohol and smoke because they should be able to moderate their consumption.... a stretch but its that bad.

I think way too often people think in black and white, instead of a balance, the real solution is like SouthKorea did, limit every game by law to how many hours per day you can play regardless of age lets say 2h per game daily for adults, and kids should get a maximum of 2-3h per day global hours, otherwise kids can still jump from game to game for 8h+.

They should incentivize kids to play outside more and organize school activities outside so they can learn about the world and develop themselves.

All this sitting on a chair is really really bad for the society's future.

I could moderate my various activities as a kid, my parents taught me how to.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

51 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yeah it baffles me that people think it's impossible to parent kids to the point where they just want to go and have the government do it for them. Time to mandate foam on all cabinets and doors and all children to wear helmets I guess. 

45 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The problem is that there's too many cases where this isn't true. And Bad parenting is an issue for more than just the child and the parents. Badly parented children tend to display all kinds of behavioural abnormalities that affect their classmates, people living around them, (and/or interacting with them online), and these issues if unaddressed can and will persist into adulthood. And that will leave society picking up the bill. Bad parenting does not just affect the child and their family.

Law proposals like this are an attempt to deal with such issues without going to the even more disruptive and negetive nuclear option of taking the child into foster care because the parent has demonstrated themselves incapable of adequately looking after the child.

Now that doesn't mean i entirely agree with his statement. There's all kinds of qualifiers involved IMO. But at the same time excessive obsessive behaviour by certain parts of the media played a major role in his mothers death. If that doesn't make obsessive behaviours in a negative fashion a trigger issue for him he's a lot better person than the majority of the human race.

I completely agree there are issues with social media and marketing of all kinds of products, (games and other online products are just especially bad because of the extreme ease of going from hearing about somthing to doing it), and those issues do need addressing, but i don't think blanket bans are the right way.

Police when catching someone playing Fornite. OI MATE YOU GOT LICENSE FOR THIS GAME?! 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

So can the sun. I guess we shouldnt let our kids outside now. 

yeh but the last time i checked people dont like being blinded willfully,unless your kids do which is weird 

I see what he's saying though, people are becoming unproductive in society because of games and social media (amoung other things). Government controlled restricts are dumb and not a good idea, but parents need to control their kids, and adults need to grow up and gain a little self control.

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Bad parenting is not an excuse to creat laws restricting people's freedom. 

This isnt just about bad parenting, its a bout a medium that badly influences kids and adults like drugs. 

Many families are fighting with addiction of one or more of their beloved ones, be it drugs, alcohol or games, both adults and kids.

People freedoms are already heavily restricted, and i would add more to those, limit alcohol sale per person to one bottle daily or anyone who wants to buy drinks needs an alcohol card that you can recharge monthly which allows you to buy a certain ammount each day. Sounds stupid and not the most practical, but why should you have the freedom to become an alcoholic or drug addict, homeless, destroy your family and maybe hurt other people too?

Moderation is key and not all individuals can achieve it, certainly not kids. I would say limit children gaming to 2-3hours of gaming total per day, ban all smokes sales, and limit alcohol per person daily they can buy. My family was ruined by my alcoholic father, and my youth was ruined by gaming addiction, my grandfather also died from lung cancer at 58 due to heavy smoking, and if there was bans to all these we would have been far better today without that addictive garbage.

You may want to keep your freedom of moderation id say you shouldnt have that freedom, just because it turned out good for you it doesnt mean it will be fine for everyone.

Banning or restricting things like gambling, gaming and substances would provide an amazing boost of health and general improvements to social/family life everywhere around the world, and you lose nothing in the process.

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

British

^ That's why.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Not ur job m8, welcome 2 the internet...

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

46 minutes ago, yian88 said:

You may want to keep your freedom of moderation id say you shouldnt have that freedom, just because it turned out good for you it doesnt mean it will be fine for everyone.

Just because it went poorly for you does not mean it will go poorly for everyone. 

46 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Banning or restricting things like gambling, gaming and substances would provide an amazing boost of health and general improvements to social/family life everywhere around the world, and you lose nothing in the process.

Losing the freedom to make your own decision about how video games & entertainment will be consumed in your own household is significantly more than "losing nothing." It's really none of your business how much video game entertainment people in my household consume. I wouldn't dream of dictating how people live their lives on trivial things such as this. I'll skip directly to the part where we "agree to disagree," because I'm not interested in changing your mind. Just pointing out that your words cut both ways, and IMO we should err on the side of freedom.