What are the best psu brands

Evster

Hello everyone! I am looking into building a pc but don’t know what power supply to get. What kind of brands do you recommend?

Don't buy a brand; buy a good model of PSU.

Use this list to get an idea of a good PSU;

It even tells you what kind of tier for what kind of system you need

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, Evster said:

Hello everyone! I am looking into building a pc but don’t know what power supply to get. What kind of brands do you recommend?

I have great luck with all 80+ gold fully modular power supplies from evga. Best is, they are cheap and very reliable

Did I fix your problem? Please feel free to donate to me at <Link Removed> 

Any donation is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My pc - PCPartPicker part list 

Unobtainium tech

Pretty much every consumer brand out there has bad units available (although I would say be Quiet! comes closest to being legit, I mean their cheapest offering isn't that bad, however, Power Zone PSUs don't make much sense). Sadly, what happens quite often is people seek for recommendations, find some kind of brand, then proceed to buy the cheapest unit from that brand, effectively getting crap.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Just now, jake765111 said:

I have great luck with all 80+ gold fully modular power supplies from evga. Best is, they are cheap and very reliable

How about no? The G1 NEX is ancient, group regulated and absolute garbage, the GD/GQ/G1+ are unfit for higher end systems, the G2 lacks OTP, and the G3 has issues with its protections, in addition to being among the loudest PSUs you can get. All of them also lack multi rail, including the high wattage ones. 

:)

6 minutes ago, Evster said:

What kind of brands do you recommend?

None!
As they all have shit in their lineup.

The least shittiest are be quiet and Corsair. But they still have shit in their lineup.

So don't go by brand, that leads you to get an overpriced "System Integrator" unit that's loud, lacks protection and is totally overpriced, because people believe Strongly that Seasonic has some Magic Sauce - when a PSU is just a bunch of Jelly Bean Components and the real interesting thing is in the brains of the engineers, not the components. And those you find with larger COmpanies like FSP and especially DELTA, not some smallish ones like Seasonic.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

How about no? The G1 NEX is ancient, group regulated and absolute garbage, the GD/GQ/G1+ are unfit for higher end systems, the G2 lacks OTP, and the G3 has issues with its protections, in addition to being among the loudest PSUs you can get. All of them also lack multi rail, including the high wattage ones. 

Mine is extremely quiet. Here is a link - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0106RDIN2/ref=twister_B01LXKQ07C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have had them in a server and gaming pc's. The server runs 400W all the time without a problem

I think For the price they are great and I have had no problems. 

2 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Dark Zone PSUs don't make much sense).

Either Dark Power or Power Zone???

Lower wattage Power Zone is a shity version of the Straight Power E10...

So at a good price they are OK, though not that quiet...

Mine is extremely quiet.

You don't know what you're talking about and don't know real quiet PSU.

So your "extremely quiet" statement is false. Its meh at best.

And the higher wattage ones even rather loud!

I have had them in a server and gaming pc's. The server runs 400W all the time without a problem

Yes, and?
That's nothing.

That is something every somewhat OK 650W PSU should be able to do.

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Either Dark Power or Power Zone???

Lower wattage Power Zone is a shity version of the Straight Power E10...

So at a good price they are OK, though not that quiet...

Yeah, Power Zone, my bad...

The problem is, I haven't been able to find them at price point that actually makes sense...

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

10 minutes ago, jake765111 said:

What are the noise readings about a meter from the unit? One person's extremely quiet is another person's unbearably loud

5 minutes ago, Evster said:

What about this 500w 80+ gold from rosewill? Rosewill LEPTON 500 Modular 500 W Power Supply (80 PLUS GOLD Certified) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-182-398&ignorebbr=true

Doesn't seem like there are any reviews available, so I wouldn't recommend it. If your budget is around $70, you should be able to get Formula Gold. 

Also, you never told us the specs of PC you want to power, did you?

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

I would like to go for a psu like this but I am on a strict budget and would like to spend no more than $70 on a psu

1 minute ago, Evster said:

I would like to go for a psu like this but I am on a strict budget and would like to spend no more than $70 on a psu

20 minutes ago, seon123 said:

What are you powering, and where are you buying from?

:)

17 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

You don't know what you're talking about and don't know real quiet PSU.

So your "extremely quiet" statement is false. Its meh at best.

And the higher wattage ones even rather loud!

Yes, and?
That's nothing.

That is something every somewhat OK 650W PSU should be able to do.

I agree that my reasoning is not very good.  I know they have a lot more things I should be worried about. 

However they work fine for me and as long as they work efficiently without burning down my house, then I am happy. 

12 minutes ago, Evster said:

Do you want something modular and quite. If so, I still recommend the EVGA on at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0106RDIN2/ref=twister_B01LXKQ07C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I know that  Stefan Payne is talking some shit about them but for the most part, I think they will work for your price point and they offer a lot of features. 

Since people have been asking, I am powering a gtx 1070, ryzen 1600x and a sc600 pump for water cooling

I've read nothing but good reviews on the G2 and G3 from EVGA The supernova 750 G3 has a 10 year warranty (and a 4.5 out of 5 stars from almost 5000 reviews on amazon.) I mean, even if its not the absolute best, that alone is a nice plus in my book. (I also use a raidmax PSU that tons of people have said is a shit PSU and its been working like a champ for about 8 years now.)

5 minutes ago, DavidKalinowski said:

I've read nothing but good reviews on the G2 and G3 from EVGA The supernova 750 G3 has a 10 year warranty (and a 4.5 out of 5 stars from almost 5000 reviews on amazon.) I mean, even if its not the absolute best, that alone is a nice plus in my book. (I also use a raidmax PSU that tons of people have said is a shit PSU and its been working like a champ for about 8 years now.)

Thanks! That's what I needed to hear. Stephan Payne was talking some shit about them but I disagree. 

(No disrespect to him) (he had some good points - no hate)

I think that this posted link will be the best for your price point and it offers some great features. It has been nothing but good to me!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0106RDIN2/ref=twister_B01LXKQ07C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

14 minutes ago, Evster said:

Since people have been asking, I am powering a gtx 1070, ryzen 1600x and a sc600 pump for water cooling

Formula Gold 450W is good choice in your case.

10 minutes ago, DavidKalinowski said:

You haven't been searching hard enough.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

11 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Formula Gold 450W is good choice in your case.

You haven't been searching hard enough.

Lot of good links in that first post that I will be reading. Thank you. It has been while admittedly since I actually researched PSUs. I normally just go by customer reviews.

17 minutes ago, jake765111 said:

Thanks! That's what I needed to hear. Stephan Payne was talking some shit about them but I disagree. 

(No disrespect to him) (he had some good points - no hate)

what he said was fully right. the g3 has some major otp (over temperature protection) and opp (over-power protection) issues which make it really bad. the g2/superflower leadex 1 is okay-ish, but there are better units on the market, that go for the same price or less

1 minute ago, DavidKalinowski said:

Lot of good links in that first post that I will be reading. Thank you. It has been while admittedly since I actually researched PSUs. I normally just go by customer reviews.

especially for psu's that's the worst thing to do, most consumers don't have testing equipment, and "it just works" for them. I've seen people using diabloteks with a faulure rate of 40%

38 minutes ago, Evster said:

Corsair TX550M would suffice and probably be within your budget.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)