iPhone X vs iPhone Xs?

jiyeon

Hi, so after digging up my iPhone 6s, I've come to notice I've really missed iOS. So, I'm officially after a new-gen iPhone.

I'm really enticed by the iPhone Xs, but my friends are saying that I should get an iPhone X instead, as the iPhone Xs is essentially the same phone.

The arguments they gave were:

• X has IP67; Xs has IP68 - minimal differences
  • X has A11 Bionic; Xs has A12 Bionic - minimal differences
  • X has 3GB RAM; Xs has 4GB RAM - minimal differences
  • X has 2716 mAh; Xs has 2658 mAh - I think you get the point

Now, where the two devices have a marginal gap, is the price.

I can buy a refurbished iPhone X 64GB for £769 from Apple's official refurbished phones on their website. Compare that to the the Xs which is guaranteed to set me back at least £800, even for used on sites like eBay.

Considering all points, it would make 100% sense for me to buy an iPhone X, rather than an Xs, right? I'm not too wealthy, so I can't really afford a device which costs me over £900.

For context, I currently use a Samsung S8.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

the biggest difference that people will truly notice is the camera.  The xs has better dynamic range over the x.  If you have used the x camera and are fine with it then go with the x and save your money.  If you havent then see if you know someone who has one and ask to see it.  Basically what im getting at is unless you need a really amazing camera go for the x its still a great camera just not as good as the xs

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

Get the X, the difference between the two are so minimal it hurts, especially considering the price

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

the biggest difference that people will truly notice is the camera.  The xs has better dynamic range over the x.  If you have used the x camera and are fine with it then go with the x and save your money.  If you havent then see if you know someone who has one and ask to see it.  Basically what im getting at is unless you need a really amazing camera go for the x its still a great camera just not as good as the xs

I've actually not looked at the X's camera at all, but have taken some time with the Xs one. I don't have any friends or family who own an X, so I'm going to assume YouTube comparisons would work just as great, considering I have an S8 with a 1440p display?

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Get the X, the difference between the two are so minimal it hurts, especially considering the price

Oh hell yeah, I was watching Flossy Carter's review of the iPhone Xs and the resonating thing he said was the difference between the X and the Xs was another £500 for the Xs just to get portrait mode, I found that really funny!

The Xs has the A12 Bionic which is 50% more power efficient than the A11 Bionic which will result in better battery life. If I were you, I would get the Xs simply because of this. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

iPhone XS is iPhone X clone just like all the iphones up to 8 are clones of the previous ones. Don't buy. Seriously. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

The Xs has the A12 Bionic which is 50% more power efficient than the A11 Bionic which will result in better battery life. If I were you, I would get the Xs simply because of this. 

i second this! 

1 hour ago, seoz said:

Hi, so after digging up my iPhone 6s, I've come to notice I've really missed iOS. So, I'm officially after a new-gen iPhone.

I'm really enticed by the iPhone Xs, but my friends are saying that I should get an iPhone X instead, as the iPhone Xs is essentially the same phone.

The arguments they gave were:

• X has IP67; Xs has IP68 - minimal differences
  • X has A11 Bionic; Xs has A12 Bionic - minimal differences
  • X has 3GB RAM; Xs has 4GB RAM - minimal differences
  • X has 2716 mAh; Xs has 2658 mAh - I think you get the point

Now, where the two devices have a marginal gap, is the price.

I can buy a refurbished iPhone X 64GB for £769 from Apple's official refurbished phones on their website. Compare that to the the Xs which is guaranteed to set me back at least £800, even for used on sites like eBay.

Considering all points, it would make 100% sense for me to buy an iPhone X, rather than an Xs, right? I'm not too wealthy, so I can't really afford a device which costs me over £900.

For context, I currently use a Samsung S8.

The iPhone XS will be killed in terms of software updates in 2023, and full year after the regular iPhone X. Not sure how long you will use an iPhone but,.. the more you know, the better.. 

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

9 hours ago, zrmaxwell said:

The iPhone XS will be killed in terms of software updates in 2023, and full year after the regular iPhone X. Not sure how long you will use an iPhone but,.. the more you know, the better.. 

Software updates and general OS usage are my priorities for a phone, so that A12 and the 2023 software updates limit is enticing for sure...

As an iPhone XS owner I'm slightly biased, but I mainly appreciate it for the camera features (smart HDR, depth of field control, stereo sound in video recordings, that sort of thing).  It's also going to be slightly more future proof due to the newer chip and an extra gig of RAM.

With that said, if you don't see much use for those features, the iPhone X is fine.  There's also the iPhone XR if you don't mind the 828p LCD and single rear camera, since it still offers the camera tricks and most of the performance gains (it's still using 3GB versus the XS' 4GB).

Xs has an incredible advantage for photos. SmartHDR. Look at some comparisons of the SmartHDR photos a Xs can take compared to a x. It’s a nice upgrade. 

interesting i just went from the S8 to the iPhone X, got it refurbished directly from apple. so far so good, pretty much feels brand new. i thought about the XS, because of the reasons already mentioned. but i'm pretty ok with the X, and plus i'm not a super camera person

one thing to mention is the included wall charger is super slow. the iPhone X can fast charge, you can use the iPad charger or a third party 2.4a charger 

8 hours ago, Techicolors said:

interesting i just went from the S8 to the iPhone X, got it refurbished directly from apple. so far so good, pretty much feels brand new. i thought about the XS, because of the reasons already mentioned. but i'm pretty ok with the X, and plus i'm not a super camera person

Ah, small world. I think I'm set on waiting a year or so and grab myself an Xs as I'm not too in a rush to get a new phone.

How long did you have your S8 for and what reasons did you move over to the iPhone X?

7 hours ago, seoz said:

Ah, small world. I think I'm set on waiting a year or so and grab myself an Xs as I'm not too in a rush to get a new phone.

How long did you have your S8 for and what reasons did you move over to the iPhone X?

i had the S8 summer of 2017. still pretty solid phone but the software is pretty bad tbh and fingerprint is terrible, curved screen not for me. iOS super smooth, great camera, face id is pretty awesome, very nice to hold, excellent screen, surprisingly good speakers, navigation is great. love and hate the notch not too horrible 

On 4/2/2019 at 3:18 AM, DrMacintosh said:

I've had the Xs and now own the X, and the latter's battery life is better in practice. Granted, it likely has to do with the reception in my area (uh, country, I guess) not being particularly fantastic, but it wouldn't make a massive difference either way.

Still, the Xs was a terrible phone for me. It dropped the connection very frequently despite being used the same as my iPhone 6s Plus (that worked flawlessly). I even exchanged the phone through Apple and had the same problems with my second Xs.

The X on the other hand has none of these issues. It's still a great phone and feels every bit as fresh as the Xs does. The only thing I miss is the added variety in the camera app, but that's because I take a lot of photos. If you don't or wouldn't utilize those anyway, then there's literally no reason to go for the Xs. You'll probably get a year of extra software support, but that extra year will cost you what, 200€?

I'd recommend buying a new X though. They're still available for 850€ via Amazon in Germany, so roughly 750 GBP.

7 minutes ago, Kevaros said:

It's still a great phone and feels every bit as fresh as the Xs does. The only thing I miss is the added variety in the camera app, but that's because I take a lot of photos. If you don't or wouldn't utilize those anyway, then there's literally no reason to go for the Xs. You'll probably get a year of extra software support, but that extra year will cost you what, 200€?

Yeah, like, if I was getting a new iPhone right this moment, the X would be it, but if I were to get an iPhone in say a year from now, it would be the Xs because by then, wouldn't the Xs be priced as what the X is today? I'm all for software updates too so I can stay another year on my S8 and move up to the elite next year, I guess.