What do employer's mean when they talk about "desktop experience"?

I'm planning to go onto a new IT job and currently applying for that job. But I'm kind of stumped a bit on a question they ask, "How many years of experience do you have with desktops?". Are they asking about the OS GUI and knowing where things are? or are they talking about something else? I really don't want to end up saying the wrong thing. 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Just now, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

I'm planning to go onto a new IT job and currently applying for that job. But I'm kind of stumped a bit on a question they ask, "How many years of experience do you have with desktops?". Are they asking about the OS GUI and knowing where things are? or are they talking about something else? I really don't want to end up saying the wrong thing. 

You could always ask them - part of interviewing involves you asking just as many questions as they ask you. I'm going to guess they're asking for any general experience you have supporting people with their Desktop PC's - could be configuring software, working with PC hardware, or even just dreaming up better ways to implement a small office's PC setup, such as recommending a central file server for storage.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

desktops are often a term for doing a training exercise, for something.

however this could literally mean pc expereince

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

Sounds like the company is pretty dated, I'd just assume experience using computers in general. 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

23 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

It means how much PC gaming experiences you have. Can you own all the noobs on call of duty multiplayer servers for instances? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

41 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Ask for more information. That's a very broad, vague question. They want to see if you seek to thoroughly understand the question before answering it, or if you just say, "I have been using a desktop computer since I was 3 years old."

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

5 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Ask for more information. That's a very broad, vague question. They want to see if you seek to thoroughly understand the question before answering it, or if you just say, "I have been using a desktop computer since I was 3 years old."

Unfortunately, it is a pick-n-choose question 

If it's an IT role, then they probably mean Windows Desktop (such as the M$oft course of the same name), which is essentially troubleshooting various OS and desktop issues etc.

It would involve generic Windows/PC maintenance and troubleshooting.

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

Art Tablets: UGEE 15.6" Graphics Monitor & XP-Pen 15.6" Display Tablet

If it's not an IT role, then it probably means "If you're on the LTT forum, you meet that qualification".

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I had to install dos from floppy before installing win95 does that count

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I assume they mean dealing with general office PCs, installing, troubleshooting, other maintenance. Instead of server/network administrators work.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, Gareque said:

If it's an IT role, then they probably mean Windows Desktop (such as the M$oft course of the same name), which is essentially troubleshooting various OS and desktop issues etc. 

It would involve generic Windows/PC maintenance and troubleshooting.

Most likely this. For a better idea of context, what's the job position?

Bought a virtual warranty for my virtual machine. Cost me virtually nothing!

7 minutes ago, Nebari said:

Most likely this. For a better idea of context, what's the job position?

IT desk job position/help desk

Yeah, they'll want to know what your experience is with Desktop support and what size of a user-base you've supported.

Bought a virtual warranty for my virtual machine. Cost me virtually nothing!

I think its much simple than that..

usually the HR have minimal knowledge of what specific task required,  in most case they just mean MS office

5 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

usually the HR have minimal knowledge of what specific task required,  in most case they just mean MS office

I’ve yet to have HR ask those questions in an IT interview, always tech people who know their stuff.

If you don’t understand the question ask them to rephrase it, sometimes companies or industries have their own lingo.

Alwsys best to ask them to rephrase, repeat or clarify the question... ALWAYS

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

No they don't.  As someone who currently works in the same role, they want to know your years of experience in desktop support, as mentioned by Nebari as well.

From what I read earlier in the post, this isn't an interview question, but more of an application type question, you can't just ask them to rephrase it as you fill it in and send it to them.  If you rang them up and had them clarify what they mean by years of experience in desktops, you are telling them already that the answer is zero.

Just to make it so this is 100% clear:

They want to know your experience in support of desktops in an IT role.  That's it.

This can include windows troubleshooting, networking, hardware or just about anything else related, depending on the tier you're looking at.

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

Art Tablets: UGEE 15.6" Graphics Monitor & XP-Pen 15.6" Display Tablet

Usually it's not just HR who conduct the interview, a direct line manager is normally involved. It's that person you're trying to impress the most, not HR.

"An IT job" is an extremely broad/vague statement these days. If the position is for a helpdesk/technician type of roles, then they're probably expecting what sort of experience you have not only using desktop PCs (may include various OSs), but also your experience in troubleshooting and repairing desktop issues, both hardware and software.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.