Scrapyard Wars 2019

I always love pushing old hardware to its limits, and I had an idea for scrapyard wars or a similar video. Essentially, the goal would be to be able to push older hardware with Overclocking/Cooling and get it to perform as close to newer hardware as possible. The older the hardware and the lower the performance gap the better the score(Maybe a different score for each).  You could have a budget involved but I also think it would be fun to have almost no budget and see how crazy the cooling would be to really push the hardware. 

I have a few ideas you can use to bring back scrapyard wars. Have three teams of new contestants compete in each season. You could have the winner of the last season go against new competitors in the new season.

1) Smallest PC - $500 to build a computer that will be judged on the usual performance divided by the sum of size and volume.

2) Profit - $500 to build any number of computers, and sell them. Highest profit wins.

3) Upgrade - $500 buy a computer for the other team to upgrade with whatever they had left over after buying the computer for the other team. Teams must not know that they're buying a computer for the other team to upgrade.

4) First PC - You just started your first job and you saved $500 over a summer. Time to build a computer. Every month you will earn money to upgrade your computer(new episode each month) and you'll keep 75% of what you have left.

5) Custom - $500 to build a computer but will be told not to get a case. They will be given one more day to build a case for that computer with whatever they had left over from building the computer.

Scrapyard wars was fantastic and will be dearly missed.

If the series is doing ANY overclocking... bringing on some REAL overclockers like Roman or Stepongzi to do the work would be awesome...

Lunix Is An Illegal Hacker Operating System

| [CPU] Intel i7 5960X (4.5GHz) | [Mobo] ASUS Rampage V E10 | [RAM] G. Skill Ripjaws 4 64GB (8x8GB) | [CPU Cooler] Custom Acrylic | [OS Drive] Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD | [Storage] WD Black 4TB (x2 RAID 0) | [GPU] ASUS GTX 980 (x2 stock) | [PSU] Corsair AX1200i | [Case] Corsair 900D | [Keyboard] Corsair K95 Platinum | [Mouse] Corsair Dark Core RGB | [speakers] Logitech Z906 | [Monitors] ASUS VS278Q-P (x3 27"s) |

scrapyard wars was good for like two seasons and then it got pretty meh. they have really done all the fun stuff already imo

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Still waiting for the Mac episode 

50 minutes ago, Evanair said:

Scrapyard Wars - Server Edition.  Space vs speed.... =D

Interesting concept, limited budget or lowest cost wins?

1 hour ago, lewdicrous said:

Interesting concept, limited budget or lowest cost wins?

Limited budget. Points for not spending it all and server performance. VMs Vs storage server Vs data transfer performance. 

1 minute ago, Evanair said:

Limited budget. Points for not spending it all and server performance. VMs Vs storage server Vs data transfer performance. Video streaming over LAN, etc.

Could also add total noise under full load, for those who want to run a home server.

Shit. Meant to edit. Whoops.

Interesting idea; I think it would be entertaining, particularly if there was no budget and a longer time frame. The challenge in production would be finding benchmarks which can be run on potentially a 2+ decade span of hardware.

No budget is boring. Then you can just find godlike parts and go for it. Limits on things work... The no internet thing was meh.

Testing wouldn't be too difficult. Render a video project, a complex 3D file, large file transfer (on and off), small file  (thousands of files) transfer to multiple clients, VMs doing the same job (scale of 2, 5, 10, 25 VMs).

Testing would take the longest. And then take all the scores and put it on percentage of power draw. So whichever gets the least amount of power gets a percentage added to their score.  So 500 watt Vs 1000w would get a doubling of their score.

18 hours ago, Evanair said:

No budget is boring. Then you can just find godlike parts and go for it. Limits on things work... The no internet thing was meh.

Testing wouldn't be too difficult. Render a video project, a complex 3D file, large file transfer (on and off), small file  (thousands of files) transfer to multiple clients, VMs doing the same job (scale of 2, 5, 10, 25 VMs).

Testing would take the longest. And then take all the scores and put it on percentage of power draw. So whichever gets the least amount of power gets a percentage added to their score.  So 500 watt Vs 1000w would get a doubling of their score.

Well there would be no budget for the cooling components, but you would get a better score based on the age of the hardware. Maybe with some restrictions though(ie: Extreme Processors wouldn't be allowed)

• 3 weeks later...

How about both teams be given a specific set of hardware and having them build a case, PSU, and cooling it however they wanted. The scoring could be the sum of all the benchmarks on that ten point scale you usually use divided by the sum of the cost of both the case and cooling, noise, and volume of the case.

Or, you could visit a set of fans and compete against them in their area.

Scrapyard Retro: $100 to build the best vintage system you can (Socket 478/754 era or older hardware), install old classics and see who gets the most bang for the buck. And whose power supply survives testing. Also, no Freegeek.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

What about not allowing fans? No CPU, GPU, or case fans, all has to be passively cooled with heat sink blocks. It would force them to get really creative with cooling and deciding which components to get.

q6600 squaaaaaaaaaaad let's gooooooooo

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

I liked the idea of getting the best system while not spending any money overall.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:32 PM, floofer said:

Still waiting for the Mac episode 

Mac is not good and is terrible for gaming so a mac scrap wars will never happen

I like some of the ideas here, like the server edition (how about a NAS capable of ~1.5 PB of storage (7x 16-port SAS HBAs, using 14TB HDDs), for less $ than a single 4TB or 6TB 5400rpm HDD not counting the drives), retro PC (although I wish it was pre-ATX, pre-PnP, etc), passive cooling (do it in a really tiny case that's no wider or taller internally than an unpopupated thin-mITX board), etc. ?

I'd also like to see how fun of a gaming experience they could have with some restrictions on the gaming hardware.

For example, their discrete GPU cannot have had an MSRP of higher than US$50 (or had to be cheaper than the cheapest GT x20 or similar-tier card) when new, OR, the top flagship within a year of its release has to be a bare PCB with no heatsink at all, like these, and use an interface older than legacy PCI.

ati_smallwonder_fhq_C.png.6ee5e8303a19e9aca1611872df323edb.pngIBM_CGA_BROWN_front_C.png.2571296061c9f858c24fa161af7d1c60.png

Also no cheating by using a more powerful iGPU / APU.  If one is used, its Ice Storm graphics score has to be lower than the Port Royal fps (assuming it could be forced to run it even if its fps was extremely low) of the lowest-end GPU that's been recently available NIB / shrink-wrapped.

20160328_174602.thumb.jpg.28809fdb369b3ea4c68f5f0b3570ad8e.jpg

Yes, that was a shrink-wrapped GeForce 8400 GS on the shelf at Fry's. ?

If it's not able to run Ice Storm (extremely likely it wouldn't), then substitute whatever it would run, with a similar difference in performance required between dGPU vs iGPU.

5 hours ago, Fluxcabury said:

Mac is not good and is terrible for gaming so a mac scrap wars will never happen

Your comment is not good and terrible for replying so a proper reply from me will never happen.

Just had this idea pop into existence:

Can it run Crysis?

Take the long-expired joke and build a computer capable of running Crysis at "playable" frame rates.

- Limited budget

- 2008-2011 hardware erra limitation (I guessed at the year range)

- Parts trading allowed, buying pre-built pre-assembled systems not allowed

- Loser(s) must shave head bald (skin-tight). Cheater(s) must shave head and eyebrows

Lunix Is An Illegal Hacker Operating System

| [CPU] Intel i7 5960X (4.5GHz) | [Mobo] ASUS Rampage V E10 | [RAM] G. Skill Ripjaws 4 64GB (8x8GB) | [CPU Cooler] Custom Acrylic | [OS Drive] Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD | [Storage] WD Black 4TB (x2 RAID 0) | [GPU] ASUS GTX 980 (x2 stock) | [PSU] Corsair AX1200i | [Case] Corsair 900D | [Keyboard] Corsair K95 Platinum | [Mouse] Corsair Dark Core RGB | [speakers] Logitech Z906 | [Monitors] ASUS VS278Q-P (x3 27"s) |