Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

On 12/6/2020 at 10:05 PM, NeOnZz_DaNgEr said:

hey buddy thank you so much for this trick... was searching workaround everywhere but did not find a thing... it did worked very well... played 1 hr no crash or anything... when did your crashed in game...?

Sorry for the late reply, I figured it out. I got a card with a bad memory so the trick was lowering the gpu's memory clock using Afterburner to/or beyond -404hz which for some reason drops the gpu's memory clock directly to 6000hz instead of 7596hz (anything beyond -403hz will force  the card to 6000hz) and even that doesn't fix it completely i still crash every now and then . Just my luck. But at least I can play games otherwise I couldn't afford a pc.

On 12/11/2020 at 5:08 PM, lomito666 said:

i just tried it and is true, but idk if nvenc is working. new drives shows error 43 on device manager

i just received the p106-090 last week and im having a lot of fun trying to unlock the card.

The bad news: cyberpunk runs between 6 to 15 fps at 1080p and between 10 to 20 at 720p 😞 not playable at all.

aaand i just find a lot of blogs talking about our card like:

https://nemlog.nem.social/blog/22684 (japanese)

and it have a source to this blog https://www.jarvisw.com/?p=938 (chinese)

for 30 usd its fantastic! maybe i will bought the p106-100 😛

pd: english is not my native language, so sorry for ortographic and redaction faults. you are smart, deal with it.

Hi,

Which Windows version are you using. I tried this on my actual target PC for the P106, a Futron S920 thin client, but there I have the latest version of Windows 10 and now the driver 417.22 gives the error " not compatible with Windows Version". 

5 hours ago, Tommynocka said:

Hi,

Which Windows version are you using. I tried this on my actual target PC for the P106, a Futron S920 thin client, but there I have the latest version of Windows 10 and now the driver 417.22 gives the error " not compatible with Windows Version". 

hi, i dont know what version of windows 10 i'm using BUT I had the same problem 

i followed this tips who somebody posted in nvidia's forum 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/1003/this-nvidia-graphics-driver-is-not-compatible-with/

The solution, which worked for my Computer and which was very easy, was the following (Nvidia Experience is not needed at all):  - Download the DDU-Tool (Display Driver Uninstaller) from the Website https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html (in Case make a screenshot or copy the usage Information from the Website, too) - Disconnect your Internet Connection - Run the DDU-Tool with Administrator Privileges, select the Driver "Nvidia" and press "Clean and restart" - After the restart of the Computer wait a few minutes unless the Windows device Manager has finished applying the graphic Card as Standard Video Card - Afterwards run the Nvidia Driver installer. The correct Nvidia Driver will be put in your System, which afterwards will be also compatible with future Driver updates.

and finally i had to disconect the internet, uninstall the driver using ddu and install without restarting.

now im using tthe 417.23

i hope this work for you

So i just assembled a p106-90 with an i3 8100. 8gb ram ddr4 2133 and w10 1709.

Ive tried several methods i saw online to make the card work correctly. Using 416.34, 417.22 add 417.23 drivers. Ofc, ddu betwenn tried and registry hack (deleting adaptertype and changing mshybrid)

The card does install and it is recognized in gpu-z. Furmark stress tests run fine also and msi afterburner recognizes it as well.

My goal buying this card was to have some cheap gpu to run valorant for my sister. Since yesterday, ive tried all this drivers because i was having "out of memory error" in valorant.

Right now i'm using 416.34 and i started running tests on gta V benchmark. It does run a few scenes with 60 fps and then my intel graphics crash for some reason.

Does anyone have any tip for me here? the card is identified but i cant make it to run games. GtaV and valorant has presented crashes and both related to video memory i think.

Ive set the intel integrated graphics to 1024mb trying to fix the issue but no sucess.

Uningine Heaven ran in extreme quality with no crashes. League of legends is running also in fhd in very high quality and 80+ fps.

1.gif

640392644_Screenshot(59).png

9 hours ago, felipeapdo said:

So i just assembled a p106-90 with an i3 8100. 8gb ram ddr4 2133 and w10 1709.

Ive tried several methods i saw online to make the card work correctly. Using 416.34, 417.22 add 417.23 drivers. Ofc, ddu betwenn tried and registry hack (deleting adaptertype and changing mshybrid)

The card does install and it is recognized in gpu-z. Furmark stress tests run fine also and msi afterburner recognizes it as well.

My goal buying this card was to have some cheap gpu to run valorant for my sister. Since yesterday, ive tried all this drivers because i was having "out of memory error" in valorant.

Right now i'm using 416.34 and i started running tests on gta V benchmark. It does run a few scenes with 60 fps and then my intel graphics crash for some reason.

Does anyone have any tip for me here? the card is identified but i cant make it to run games. GtaV and valorant has presented crashes and both related to video memory i think.

Ive set the intel integrated graphics to 1024mb trying to fix the issue but no sucess.

Uningine Heaven ran in extreme quality with no crashes. League of legends is running also in fhd in very high quality and 80+ fps.

Have you set the exe of valorant to use the card in high performance mode inside graphics settings of windows? I use a p106-100 to play valorant on a 4th gen PC. Check that to make sure valorant is using external gpu not internal intel hd.

9 hours ago, Shibly said:

Have you set the exe of valorant to use the card in high performance mode inside graphics settings of windows? I use a p106-100 to play valorant on a 4th gen PC. Check that to make sure valorant is using external gpu not internal intel hd.

Thanks for replying. Yes i did set for high performance each time ive changed the drivers. Its weird cause valorant itself does run and i can enter a training match. It ran on fhd on max settings pretty nicely. But every time i try to enter some match, the game runs for a few minutes and crashes. I'm testing using deathmatches and usually it crashes after my first death. It says "out of memory error". GtaV also run for a few minutes and crashes. From what i saw yesterday, at least on gta, its the intel graphics card that is crashing. On device manager, it says the device was stopped because it had problems. The game also  says something about d3dl dll error. I'm not sure why the setup is working on some games and crashing on others. Ive read something about asus motherboards and etc. I guess it may be some incompatibility with my system idk. I read something about VT-d on someones post and i enable it on my bios. I'll also try an older intel driver to see how it goes.

Update: after a clean w10 1709 install, 417.22, regedit adaptertype 2 to 4 and enablemshybrid 0 to 1, it seems to be working nicely.

Hi all, 
Did anyone ever figure a way to use newer Nvidia drivers than 417.22? 
I'd really help out on newer games.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

On 5/1/2020 at 9:37 PM, Snowarch said:

my p106 ran at x16, was overclocked by the os, and used full ram no issue, but my p104 (also oc'd by the os, and using full memory transfer speed) can get the 1060's proformance +3 fps in bsl shaders minecraft, but its stuck at 70% usage in minecraft with that shader. any ideas, and also how to increase the fan speed? msi card runs hot, but the fan dowsn't go on high %. on ubuntu by the way so both (minus the x4 on this card) were plug and play basically. 

driver 418. even tried the 430. same exact %.

Did you actually get the card running on 430 drivers playing games?? How?

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

guys are there any other drivers after the 417.22 for the p106-100 since some games require newer drivers 

On 1/1/2021 at 9:00 PM, B1g_chungus2 said:

guys are there any other drivers after the 417.22 for the p106-100 since some games require newer drivers 

Give me the name of the game pls. Could not run Doom eternal but cyberpunk 2077, COD warzone, Horizon Zero Dawn ran without problems that I can notice.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:05 AM, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

Did you actually get the card running on 430 drivers playing games?? How?

On linux Bro. The card runs on the newest opensource drivers flawlessly.

On 1/4/2021 at 1:38 AM, Shibly said:

Give me the name of the game pls. Could not run Doom eternal but cyberpunk 2077, COD warzone, Horizon Zero Dawn ran without problems that I can notice.

When I tried Horizon back when I still had a P106 it stuttered like crazy, that was with an i7 and 16gb ram. Maybe it was the game itself, idk, I tried it on release. But Cyberpunk runs too, that's amazing.

On 1/3/2021 at 10:38 PM, Shibly said:

I wasn’t able to run hyper scape as it asked for the latest drivers and I didn’t know a way to bypass it 

On 1/3/2021 at 10:38 PM, Shibly said:

But can we run these games on windows ??

graphics_preference_specific_gpu.png.57c99f6d0858439e001e1fa99063c9f2.png

So, after reading almost this entire thread I ran across an article that mentioned a new feature in the Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20190 (and beyond) that allowed you to specifically select which GPU you wanted to use to run an application. I have a 3rd Gen i5-3570k, so the hacks to get the P106 to show up as the High Performance GPU wouldn't work for me, and I had zero interest in the Windowed Mode tricks that others had suggested (especially since I was running Windows 10).

I was already a Windows Insider, so I signed in and changed my channel to 'Dev', and allowed Windows to update. Sure enough, the feature worked exactly as I'd hoped! Of course I'm still limited to 417.22, still had to do the registry hacks, and still have to manually select (one time) the GPU for every single game (sometimes multiple .exe's for Benchmarking tools like 3DMark 11), and I believe I'm still limited to DX11 (3DMark would crash when it tried to run Time Spy). I'm also limited to PCI 1.1 x4, which seems to be seriously hampering performance (my 1050 Ti easily outperforms it in every benchmark I've run).

But it's working, in full screen, on a 3rd gen i5 on nearly everything I throw at it :D

Unfortunately because of the performance deficit, I'll likely end up selling it since my 1050 Ti outperforms it. I picked up both cards at $75 each, and was going to sell the 1050 Ti if the P106 performed like the 1060. I don't understand how Linus was able to match the performance of their stock 1060.

Side notes: I'm running this on a very old install of Windows 10, and I noticed one person say that with a clean install, they were able to boost performance significantly, so I'll try that. I also think someone's post said something about being able to use 'any' driver version if they installed it through the Device Manager and manually selected a 1060, instead of using nVidia's installer, so I'll give that a shot as well.

Last, but not least, I was pretty disappointed in how many comments there were from people who clearly had not done their due diligence of reading through the thread to try and resolve their issues. Some of them were so common they seemed like they popped up on every page. If you're one of those people you're probably not reading my post either, and good riddance. If you can't even spend time to first troubleshoot your own issues before asking for help, you don't deserve a cheap 1060 anyway.

MUCH thanks to all of those who have helped solve all of the issues with these cards up until now. It has been an immense help.

benchmarks.thumb.png.506db8b73ccf5dd6b3205698e41b1235.png

gpu-z.png

nVidia_control_panel.png

12 hours ago, SpyderMS said:

Side notes: I'm running this on a very old install of Windows 10, and I noticed one person say that with a clean install, they were able to boost performance significantly, so I'll try that. I also think someone's post said something about being able to use 'any' driver version if they installed it through the Device Manager and manually selected a 1060, instead of using nVidia's installer, so I'll give that a shot as well.

Update on this: Installing a clean version of Windows 10 did not improve performance at all. My benchmarks were within a margin of error of the old ones, and the PCI Express interface speed was unchanged.

I did notice the posts that mentioned setting EnableMSHybrid to 2 would make the P106 show up as the Low Power option in Graphics Settings. This doesn't seem to be of any advantage other than manually selecting Low Power Mode as the option for games to run in since Windows automatically sets them to use the High Power option. I tried setting EnableMSHybrid to other values hoping it would move the card into the High Power option, but no luck. Anyone know more about what this setting actually does? Google only turned up articles and threads pertaining to hacking nVidia's drivers for the P106...

I was successful in manually selecting GTX 1060 3GB when installing drivers through Device Manager, however this only worked with 417.22. However, performance did not change using this method. Trying with the most recent driver 461.09 gave me the dreaded Error 43. I followed the process exactly the same both times by booting into Safe Mode, DDU'ing the nVidia drivers, disabling my internet, rebooting, using the "Have Disk" option, manually selecting the Display.Driver folder in the nVidia driver folder, unchecking the 'Show Campatible Hardware' option, and selecting the first GTX 1060 3GB option in the list. I also tried upgrading to 461.09 after successfully installing via 417.22, but this would just revert the card back to a P106. I noticed GPU-Z would also show less checkboxes when on the 461.09 driver, although this could be because of said error 43.

GTX_1060_3GB_successful_install.png.d5c870d174c587a4e90bc9f3d2c7becd.png

GTX_1060_3GB_417.22_gpu-z.png.c12f1c2e3b834c5b379b1a30b1d6e06b.pngGTX_1060_3GB_461.09_gpu-z.png.152147e61b919062230a5c374b581d3d.png

13 hours ago, SpyderMS said:

graphics_preference_specific_gpu.png.57c99f6d0858439e001e1fa99063c9f2.png

So, after reading almost this entire thread I ran across an article that mentioned a new feature in the Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20190 (and beyond) that allowed you to specifically select which GPU you wanted to use to run an application. I have a 3rd Gen i5-3570k, so the hacks to get the P106 to show up as the High Performance GPU wouldn't work for me, and I had zero interest in the Windowed Mode tricks that others had suggested (especially since I was running Windows 10).

I was already a Windows Insider, so I signed in and changed my channel to 'Dev', and allowed Windows to update. Sure enough, the feature worked exactly as I'd hoped! Of course I'm still limited to 417.22, still had to do the registry hacks, and still have to manually select (one time) the GPU for every single game (sometimes multiple .exe's for Benchmarking tools like 3DMark 11), and I believe I'm still limited to DX11 (3DMark would crash when it tried to run Time Spy). I'm also limited to PCI 1.1 x4, which seems to be seriously hampering performance (my 1050 Ti easily outperforms it in every benchmark I've run).

But it's working, in full screen, on a 3rd gen i5 on nearly everything I throw at it :D

Unfortunately because of the performance deficit, I'll likely end up selling it since my 1050 Ti outperforms it. I picked up both cards at $75 each, and was going to sell the 1050 Ti if the P106 performed like the 1060. I don't understand how Linus was able to match the performance of their stock 1060.

Last, but not least, I was pretty disappointed in how many comments there were from people who clearly had not done their due diligence of reading through the thread to try and resolve their issues. Some of them were so common they seemed like they popped up on every page. If you're one of those people you're probably not reading my post either, and good riddance. If you can't even spend time to first troubleshoot your own issues before asking for help, you don't deserve a cheap 1060 anyway.

MUCH thanks to all of those who have helped solve all of the issues with these cards up until now. It has been an immense help.

benchmarks.thumb.png.506db8b73ccf5dd6b3205698e41b1235.png

gpu-z.png

nVidia_control_panel.png

I have a p106-100 6 gb and it can run everything although it does underperform like give 200 FPS instead of 300 in csgo. I first thought it was because of my i5 2500 processor or the 8 gb ram but my friend with the same specs and a Gtx 440 gets the same performance smh .

is there anything I can do to boost my FPS a bit more ?

6 minutes ago, B1g_chungus2 said:

I have a p106-100 6 gb and it can run everything although it does underperform like give 200 FPS instead of 300 in csgo. I first thought it was because of my i5 2500 processor or the 8 gb ram but my friend with the same specs and a Gtx 440 gets the same performance smh .

Is the card detected by afterburner ? if so overclock and you can tweak the Nvidia control panel

21 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

Is the card detected by afterburner ? if so overclock and you can tweak the Nvidia control panel

i ll have to check that but i dont use the nividia controll panel as i have to disable my intel driver to run games without them crashing every 10 minutes which happens to fortnite as i cant play it if my intel driver is disabled

6 minutes ago, B1g_chungus2 said:

i ll have to check that but i dont use the nividia controll panel as i have to disable my intel driver to run games without them crashing every 10 minutes which happens to fortnite as i cant play it if my intel driver is disabled

Then your only hope is afterburner if it works.

15 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Then your only hope is afterburner if it works.

yeah ill try thx for the suggestion , btw what do i overclock in the after burner ?? like could u guide me a bit 

On 1/13/2021 at 11:29 AM, B1g_chungus2 said:

I'll have to give CS:GO a shot. As you can see from my benchmarks, I only broke 100fps in a single test. HL2 at low settings didn't break 100fps, which is pathetic. Even the Intel IGP scored over 100fps in that test. Something seriously hampering my performance, and it isn't the 3GB of memory difference :(

On 1/15/2021 at 3:06 PM, SpyderMS said:

I'll have to give CS:GO a shot. As you can see from my benchmarks, I only broke 100fps in a single test. HL2 at low settings didn't break 100fps, which is pathetic. Even the Intel IGP scored over 100fps in that test. Something seriously hampering my performance, and it isn't the 3GB of memory difference :(

Going through your posts I found sth very unusual for me. Your gpu-z maybe normal for 90/3gb version. As I have a 100/6gb version from gigabyte I have no ways to be certain. But your card is way underclocked it seems. Maybe it has a custom bios that needs re-flashing to a generic one. My gpu-z is included for comparison. Maybe you could try OCing the card using afterburner and check if it can sustain clocks like mine. The most stable OC that I can find gets me to 2000 MHz on core on sustained load. Also can you remove that DCH driver from Microsoft and try using a vanilla NVidia one to check if sth changes. 

p106-100.gif

On 1/11/2021 at 11:52 PM, B1g_chungus2 said:

But can we run these games on windows ??

Sorry for my misleading reply, I ran the games on windows using 417.22 driver. Although COD shows a warning on this driver, I just ignore and close that dialogue box.

And If you wanna run the latest drivers linux and opensource driver is your only way. also there is a way to run dx9-dx11 based games by putting DXVK dll files inside the game folder to force them to use vulkan. Its a stupid thing that I tried out of desparation as those files were for WINE, but sometime stupidity becomes one of the best answers. In this mode you having no dx support does not even matter cause you wont be using any. But games with anti cheat is a no go. They will flag you immediately. Anyways, goodluck.

On 1/17/2021 at 7:09 PM, Shibly said:

Sorry for my misleading reply, I ran the games on windows using 417.22 driver. Although COD shows a warning on this driver, I just ignore and close that dialogue box.

And If you wanna run the latest drivers linux and opensource driver is your only way. also there is a way to run dx9-dx11 based games by putting DXVK dll files inside the game folder to force them to use vulkan. Its a stupid thing that I tried out of desparation as those files were for WINE, but sometime stupidity becomes one of the best answers. In this mode you having no dx support does not even matter cause you wont be using any. But games with anti cheat is a no go. They will flag you immediately. Anyways, goodluck.

oh thank you now i get it , for now everything is working fine except the fact that i cant creen record as it lags. I disable my intel drivers and even if i enable them i dont see a smooth recording on obs and gazoom can you please suggest a way in which i could screen record smoothly plz .

On 1/17/2021 at 6:57 PM, Shibly said:

Going through your posts I found sth very unusual for me. Your gpu-z maybe normal for 90/3gb version. As I have a 100/6gb version from gigabyte I have no ways to be certain. But your card is way underclocked it seems. Maybe it has a custom bios that needs re-flashing to a generic one. My gpu-z is included for comparison. Maybe you could try OCing the card using afterburner and check if it can sustain clocks like mine. The most stable OC that I can find gets me to 2000 MHz on core on sustained load. Also can you remove that DCH driver from Microsoft and try using a vanilla NVidia one to check if sth changes. 

p106-100.gif

my one is the same thing but open gl is 3.1

gfgfgffgf.gif