Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

On 9/22/2021 at 12:45 PM, Rahul Vivek said:

Hey have any one tried this gpu with HAGS?

what is HAGS?

13 hours ago, jbcgames said:

what is HAGS?

Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling feature. 

The HAGS works by takes away some load off of your CPU. This means that if your CPU is the source of the bottleneck, it is definitely worth switching HAGS on. 

word-image.jpg

Enabling hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling requires Windows 10 2004, a supported GPU, and the latest drivers for that GPU (NVIDIA version 451.48

We have only 417.23

Is it possible to run a VM and spoof the hardware id of the card to a 1060 or something?

I'm trying to use Unreal Engine 5's Nanite features but I am having problems that I think are caused by outdated drivers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 5:13 PM, Mirror Reaper said:

BF 2042 won't start, it requires at least driver 471.68. 

Even if it started, the minimum requirements is a gtx 1050 ti that as we know this graph is lower than this

19 hours ago, jbcgames said:

Even if it started, the minimum requirements is a gtx 1050 ti that as we know this graph is lower than this

Well for that we have the p104 and the p102 which are much powerful.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe we can start a petition stating that this otherwise E-waste can be a viable reusable gpu for needy gamers solving both silicon shortage and e waste problem. and as nvidia claims they are for gamers they should do it for both the gamers and environment. Can someone summon mods from ltt and push it through via them? It will be a literal lifesaver for some people.

12 hours ago, Shibly said:

Maybe we can start a petition stating that this otherwise E-waste can be a viable reusable gpu for needy gamers solving both silicon shortage and e waste problem. and as nvidia claims they are for gamers they should do it for both the gamers and environment. Can someone summon mods from ltt and push it through via them? It will be a literal lifesaver for some people.

I'm down for it. Its not just about the p106 but all the current mining gpus that are basically ewaste after the dag file size increase basically rendering them unusable for mining. But still can be quiet useful for gaming.

10 hours ago, Rahul Vivek said:

Estoy dispuesto a hacerlo. No se trata solo del p106, sino de todas las gpus de minería actuales que son básicamente ewaste después de que el tamaño del archivo dag aumenta, básicamente, lo que los hace inutilizables para la minería. Pero aún puede ser muy útil para jugar.

Me too.

On 10/22/2021 at 1:23 AM, Shibly said:

Petitions don't accomplish shit let alone when there are few people behind them. Our best bet is Linus making a video about it calling out Nvidia on this. 

2 hours ago, Mirror Reaper said:

Petitions don't accomplish shit let alone when there are few people behind them. Our best bet is Linus making a video about it calling out Nvidia on this. 

Do you think Linus will make a video about this thread after three years? He Probably even forgot about it.

Good news!

Using Proxmox as a hypervisor, I managed to create an Ubuntu VM with the P106-100 passed through to the VM. I editied some config files to spoof the hardware id of the GPU and using the command 

lspci

I could see that it reports it as a GTX 1060. However, using the command 

nvidia-smi

it does not recognise the GPU and gives me an error. I have not tried Windows yet (which is the end goal) but I still want to try some more tweaking before I declare it as a failure. I can share the config files that I changed if anyone is interested.

If anyone has a copy of the stock GTX 1060 6GB bios and could provide me with a copy that would be fantastic, thanks!

1 hour ago, AbnormalMatrix said:

Good news!

Using Proxmox as a hypervisor, I managed to create an Ubuntu VM with the P106-100 passed through to the VM. I editied some config files to spoof the hardware id of the GPU and using the command 

lspci

I could see that it reports it as a GTX 1060. However, using the command 

nvidia-smi

it does not recognise the GPU and gives me an error. I have not tried Windows yet (which is the end goal) but I still want to try some more tweaking before I declare it as a failure. I can share the config files that I changed if anyone is interested.

If anyone has a copy of the stock GTX 1060 6GB bios and could provide me with a copy that would be fantastic, thanks!

Techpowerup probably has some 1060 BIOS's online already.

6 hours ago, AbnormalMatrix said:

¡Buenas noticias!

Usando Proxmox como hipervisor, logré crear una VM de Ubuntu con el P106-100 pasado a la VM. Edité algunos archivos de configuración para falsificar la identificación del hardware de la GPU y usé el comando 

Pude ver que lo reporta como GTX 1060. Sin embargo, usando el comando 

no reconoce la GPU y me da un error. Todavía no he probado Windows (que es el objetivo final) pero todavía quiero probar algunos ajustes más antes de declararlo como un fracaso. Puedo compartir los archivos de configuración que cambié si alguien está interesado.

Si alguien tiene una copia de la BIOS de serie de GTX 1060 6GB y podría proporcionarme una copia que sería fantástica, ¡gracias!

Some of this could help you: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?manufacturer=NVIDIA&model=GTX+1060

On 10/25/2021 at 6:55 PM, Mirror Reaper said:

Thats what I was gunning for. Please @GabenJr can we get a video out to help those in need?

On 9/25/2021 at 2:16 AM, dartraiden said:

We have only 417.23

On linux theres more "clipping" cause i dint know how to set xconfig on later drivers but the later nvidia drivers work there no issue. Even 475.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

Okay im vary confused. Im on windows 8.1 build 9600 with the wi-fi off. Somehow with a p102-100 in slot 2 and a p104-100 in slot 1, the 471.68 whql/notebook driver installed for me without issue. No mods at all. Im able to open control pannel.... how do i tell of ots working?

16364938770171113878272792650479.jpg

main rig:

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

backup

7 hours ago, Rahul Vivek said:

Have you tried the registry hack and get optimus working?

Regristry hack? Optimus? Is optimus like windows version of linux prime? i dont know how. I can install driver 471 or 472 no issue. When i try minecraft it gives me an error about bad open gl support, or driver not supported. Windows i am vary much a noob reguarding, so how would i do this? Screen shots or what to click may help. Remmeber, i am on windows 8.1 not 11, 10, 7, or regular 8. So may be diffrent. Internet or no the driver installs fine. Even geforce expirence but i do not have an nvidia account so didn't test it. Note the driver is completely unmodded but installed just fine. Is the regristry hack for windows itself or the driver? Sorry if i worded that badly. Will try once i know how. 

main rig:

backup

17 hours ago, Snowarch said:

Regristry hack? Optimus? Is optimus like windows version of linux prime? i dont know how. I can install driver 471 or 472 no issue. When i try minecraft it gives me an error about bad open gl support, or driver not supported. Windows i am vary much a noob reguarding, so how would i do this? Screen shots or what to click may help. Remmeber, i am on windows 8.1 not 11, 10, 7, or regular 8. So may be diffrent. Internet or no the driver installs fine. Even geforce expirence but i do not have an nvidia account so didn't test it. Note the driver is completely unmodded but installed just fine. Is the regristry hack for windows itself or the driver? Sorry if i worded that badly. Will try once i know how. 

Optimus is a feature used by mostly laptops. They have an active integrated and dedicated GPU and optimus is used to render 3d applications on the dedicated GPU since the display was mostly from the integrated one.

The registry hack activates optimus on windows on desktops and lets applications use the P106 GPU to render.

This was however patched by nvidia after driver 417.23.

On 11/11/2021 at 7:31 AM, Rahul Vivek said:

Optimus is a feature used by mostly laptops. They have an active integrated and dedicated GPU and optimus is used to render 3d applications on the dedicated GPU since the display was mostly from the integrated one.

The registry hack activates optimus on windows on desktops and lets applications use the P106 GPU to render.

This was however patched by nvidia after driver 417.23.

What data would i add tho? To even attempt the hack? Im using the whql version

main rig:

backup

13 hours ago, Snowarch said:

What data would i add tho? To even attempt the hack? Im using the whql version

Hey im on windows 8.1 so i cannot try it but i think i found how to fix later driver versions of the windows 10 driver of whql. Same hacks from the video but... theres some extra areas to edit in the driver. Section 115-117. Those are for p102/p104-100/p104-90/p106-100. Soo we need to change the feature score, and add the features like mshybrid adapter from the old driver in the .inf document. Once this is done. The device list must be updated. I assume adding the subsystems of all 1060's and putting the p106-100 id's should work. 

Note: to get the driver raw to do this i put the ibstall location as desktop. Copied all folders to a diffrent folder in desktop and then did said mods. Cause ms shared adapter isnt supported on basic didplay adapter (it will not read my intel card as 8th gen unless its safe to install a 6th gen and have worse performance?) 

Then add the optimus support =1 to the feature set from a diffrent section and it should work. I cannot test as i lack a non basic display adapter and 10 drive but it may work. After u edit there will be a folder in "c: /nvidia/(username)/driver version". Mine is 471.68. (May be diffrent area as windows 8 file system). Put the install files there if think will cause less issue. Then try. Dont install geforce expirence. I found a p102-100 driver thats 384.something that had extra graphisc devices below the p102-p106 cards so i added those in. It had same with quadro and the like. I assime it unlocks some of the graphics capabilities locked as nothing supports a p102 normally. I can send the modded driver or explain more in depth if anyone would like to try. Good luck if anyone tries this. I say add all sub systems cause we can only assume that the subsys represents diffrent configs like gigabyte or the like. So if we add em all then its like "adding possible configs list for a 1060. Theres not as many p106-100's but still. 

main rig:

backup

22 hours ago, Snowarch said:

Hey im on windows 8.1 so i cannot try it but i think i found how to fix later driver versions of the windows 10 driver of whql. Same hacks from the video but... theres some extra areas to edit in the driver. Section 115-117. Those are for p102/p104-100/p104-90/p106-100. Soo we need to change the feature score, and add the features like mshybrid adapter from the old driver in the .inf document. Once this is done. The device list must be updated. I assume adding the subsystems of all 1060's and putting the p106-100 id's should work. 

Note: to get the driver raw to do this i put the ibstall location as desktop. Copied all folders to a diffrent folder in desktop and then did said mods. Cause ms shared adapter isnt supported on basic didplay adapter (it will not read my intel card as 8th gen unless its safe to install a 6th gen and have worse performance?) 

Then add the optimus support =1 to the feature set from a diffrent section and it should work. I cannot test as i lack a non basic display adapter and 10 drive but it may work. After u edit there will be a folder in "c: /nvidia/(username)/driver version". Mine is 471.68. (May be diffrent area as windows 8 file system). Put the install files there if think will cause less issue. Then try. Dont install geforce expirence. I found a p102-100 driver thats 384.something that had extra graphisc devices below the p102-p106 cards so i added those in. It had same with quadro and the like. I assime it unlocks some of the graphics capabilities locked as nothing supports a p102 normally. I can send the modded driver or explain more in depth if anyone would like to try. Good luck if anyone tries this. I say add all sub systems cause we can only assume that the subsys represents diffrent configs like gigabyte or the like. So if we add em all then its like "adding possible configs list for a 1060. Theres not as many p106-100's but still. 

Would you please send the driver. I would love to try it.