Hacking Nvidia's Drivers!

On 1/15/2021 at 1:06 AM, SpyderMS said:

I'll have to give CS:GO a shot. As you can see from my benchmarks, I only broke 100fps in a single test. HL2 at low settings didn't break 100fps, which is pathetic. Even the Intel IGP scored over 100fps in that test. Something seriously hampering my performance, and it isn't the 3GB of memory difference :(

CS:GO for me barely breaks 100fps occasionally, and sits more around 60fps. This was at 1080p, regardless of whether I picked the minimum or maximum settings. I wasn't able to get a true average as Riva Tuner isn't working with the beta version of Windows. I might try FRAPS to see if that works. The 100fps 'cap' I seem to have is extremely frustrating. The hardware is clearly more than capable of delivering greater than 100fps, so I'm assuming this is some kind of cap imposed by the firmware/software somehow. I haven't seen other P160-090 users report this issue, so I'm hoping its a simple firmware flash to fix.

On 1/17/2021 at 5:57 AM, Shibly said:

Going through your posts I found sth very unusual for me. Your gpu-z maybe normal for 90/3gb version. As I have a 100/6gb version from gigabyte I have no ways to be certain. But your card is way underclocked it seems. Maybe it has a custom bios that needs re-flashing to a generic one. My gpu-z is included for comparison. Maybe you could try OCing the card using afterburner and check if it can sustain clocks like mine. The most stable OC that I can find gets me to 2000 MHz on core on sustained load. Also can you remove that DCH driver from Microsoft and try using a vanilla NVidia one to check if sth changes. 

I'm not sure what you mean by 'sth'.

I tried OC'ing with Afterburner. Highest core clock I could achieve was about 1650Mhz in GPU-z. However I noticed that Afterburner reported a far higher clock speed of 2189MHz when the card was actually being used, even higher than GPU-z's reported 1831Mhz Boost Speed. Not sure what that is all about.

Regardless though, OC'ing by 300Mhz barely affected my frame rate at all... almost within a margin of error. In fact I even underclocked it by 300MHz (1054Mhz Core) just to see what would happen, and both Average and Max FPS numbers for Tomb Raider at Low settings were a mere 2fps different than when the Core was overclocked to 1654Mhz (Min FPS had a difference of 6fps). That's a 600MHz difference in Core speed with less than 5% difference in performance.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by DCH driver. The driver I installed was the one downloaded from nVidia's website, not the one provided by Windows Update.

18 hours ago, B1g_chungus2 said:

oh thank you now i get it , for now everything is working fine except the fact that i cant creen record as it lags. I disable my intel drivers and even if i enable them i dont see a smooth recording on obs and gazoom can you please suggest a way in which i could screen record smoothly plz .

These cards have nvenc disabled so use cpu to capture or a capture card. I face the same problem. Although I can stream to discord just fine nothing else works well. Don't know why. Maybe someone with knowledge on how discord streams may help us.

41 minutes ago, SpyderMS said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by DCH driver. The driver I installed was the one downloaded from nVidia's website, not the one provided by Windows Update.

sth = Something. And look at your SS(screenshot). Your SS shows DCH driver in the driver section of GPUz while ours (me and B1g_chungus2) is vanilla 417.22. There are 2 types of this driver and you are on DCH type. download the non-DCH one and check what happens. DCH one was problematic for me.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:48 AM, SpyderMS said:

GTX_1060_3GB_417.22_gpu-z.png.c12f1c2e3b834c5b379b1a30b1d6e06b.png

8 hours ago, Shibly said:

These cards have nvenc disabled so use cpu to capture or a capture card. I face the same problem. Although I can stream to discord just fine nothing else works well. Don't know why. Maybe someone with knowledge on how discord streams may help us.

sth = Something. And look at your SS(screenshot). Your SS shows DCH driver in the driver section of GPUz while ours (me and B1g_chungus2) is vanilla 417.22. There are 2 types of this driver and you are on DCH type. download the non-DCH one and check what happens. DCH one was problematic for me.

So apparently that was true in my original post, when I'd installed the P106 as a P106, but if you look at my second post (quoted above) you can see that after I DDU'd and manually selected GTX 1060 3GB, I was using the non-DCH driver, and that is what I'm currently running and still having issues. I guess what I'll try next is using the same non-DCH driver, but as a P106.

On 1/20/2021 at 3:03 PM, Shibly said:

How do I use my Cpu to capture?? And will my game lag 

hi everyone guys, im getting annoyed because im trying but i cant make it work a P106-90 Zotac, cause i think someone before me tried to flash the vbios... the vbios should appear in gpuz right? i get error in gpuz which seems cant recognize it... is nvflash a working solution to reflash that vbios version "86.06.5B.00.0A"? any help is appreciated, sorry for my bad english

a.png

On 1/13/2021 at 6:44 AM, SpyderMS said:

graphics_preference_specific_gpu.png.57c99f6d0858439e001e1fa99063c9f2.png

So, after reading almost this entire thread I ran across an article that mentioned a new feature in the Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20190 (and beyond) that allowed you to specifically select which GPU you wanted to use to run an application. I have a 3rd Gen i5-3570k, so the hacks to get the P106 to show up as the High Performance GPU wouldn't work for me, and I had zero interest in the Windowed Mode tricks that others had suggested (especially since I was running Windows 10).

I was already a Windows Insider, so I signed in and changed my channel to 'Dev', and allowed Windows to update. Sure enough, the feature worked exactly as I'd hoped! Of course I'm still limited to 417.22, still had to do the registry hacks, and still have to manually select (one time) the GPU for every single game (sometimes multiple .exe's for Benchmarking tools like 3DMark 11), and I believe I'm still limited to DX11 (3DMark would crash when it tried to run Time Spy). I'm also limited to PCI 1.1 x4, which seems to be seriously hampering performance (my 1050 Ti easily outperforms it in every benchmark I've run).

But it's working, in full screen, on a 3rd gen i5 on nearly everything I throw at it :D

Unfortunately because of the performance deficit, I'll likely end up selling it since my 1050 Ti outperforms it. I picked up both cards at $75 each, and was going to sell the 1050 Ti if the P106 performed like the 1060. I don't understand how Linus was able to match the performance of their stock 1060.

Side notes: I'm running this on a very old install of Windows 10, and I noticed one person say that with a clean install, they were able to boost performance significantly, so I'll try that. I also think someone's post said something about being able to use 'any' driver version if they installed it through the Device Manager and manually selected a 1060, instead of using nVidia's installer, so I'll give that a shot as well.

Last, but not least, I was pretty disappointed in how many comments there were from people who clearly had not done their due diligence of reading through the thread to try and resolve their issues. Some of them were so common they seemed like they popped up on every page. If you're one of those people you're probably not reading my post either, and good riddance. If you can't even spend time to first troubleshoot your own issues before asking for help, you don't deserve a cheap 1060 anyway.

MUCH thanks to all of those who have helped solve all of the issues with these cards up until now. It has been an immense help.

benchmarks.thumb.png.506db8b73ccf5dd6b3205698e41b1235.png

gpu-z.png

nVidia_control_panel.png

hey, can you please send me your vbios backup? im trying everything without success

Hello all !

Did anyone do this in Linux system ?

In windows we have this file nv_dispi.inf which contains pci device Id

Anyone know what file or files contains pci device id in nvidia driver on linux ?

Or any tip how to add pci Id to driver ?

Just install proprietary Nvidia driver and run a game. You do not need to modify anything on Linux.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 9:19 PM, xOphidian said:

hey, can you please send me your vbios backup? im trying everything without success

if u mean the high performance graphics option then just disable ur intel igpu and u should see p106-100 as an option 

On 1/24/2021 at 5:58 PM, dartraiden said:

Just install proprietary Nvidia driver and run a game. You do not need to modify anything on Linux.

if i dual boot my system then do i download the latest gtx 1060 drivers or the p106-100 driver ??

22 hours ago, B1g_chungus2 said:

if i dual boot my system then do i download the latest gtx 1060 drivers or the p106-100 driver ??

if you want to play games under Windows - install 417.22

Otherwise, install the latest available driver from Nvidia website

Omg I was cleaning my p106-100 and I saw this sealed port so as I opened the back plate I found a hdmi port on my mining gpu . Will I be able to play on the latest drivers or at least get a bit less input lag I am gonna get a hdmi monitor and try 🤩🤩

1FE243CD-4995-4647-A834-82669E49CE74.jpeg

B1AC85F1-ADAD-4E7F-B187-95082F0A6FCC.jpeg

FD5F85F2-1227-4BDD-BA16-5FE13FCDD8FB.jpeg

EC4BC535-D008-470C-871D-BBE3D4D09E10.jpeg

1 hour ago, B1g_chungus2 said:

Omg I was cleaning my p106-100 and I saw this sealed port so as I opened the back plate I found a hdmi port on my mining gpu . Will I be able to play on the latest drivers or at least get a bit less input lag I am gonna get a hdmi monitor and try 🤩🤩

1FE243CD-4995-4647-A834-82669E49CE74.jpeg

B1AC85F1-ADAD-4E7F-B187-95082F0A6FCC.jpeg

FD5F85F2-1227-4BDD-BA16-5FE13FCDD8FB.jpeg

EC4BC535-D008-470C-871D-BBE3D4D09E10.jpeg

I tried to use it and even tho I can feel that there is power in the hdmi port it just won’t show a display can someone suggest smthing I could try to make it work 🥲🥲🥲

8 hours ago, B1g_chungus2 said:

I tried to use it and even tho I can feel that there is power in the hdmi port it just won’t show a display can someone suggest smthing I could try to make it work 🥲🥲🥲

It won't work, because the HDMI port isn't connected to the GPU.

There's nothing you can do to make it work, sorry 😞

elephants

7 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:
9 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

It won't work, because the HDMI port isn't connected to the GPU.

There's nothing you can do to make it work, sorry 😞

🥲🥲🥲 it’s fine thx for letting me know 

can anyone suggest a 3rd party full screen sizer coz windowed full screen has a massive fps drop for me 

Posting an update because I've discovered the source of my framerate cap; my IGP 4000.

I scored a GTX 1070 FE for the 'low' price of $200 on Facebook, and decided to run it through the IGP just like I had been with my P106-090. While performance had improved in HL: Lost Coast, it was clearly still limited, and severely so in Tomb Raider. Rebooting and running directly from the GTX 1070 FE and instantly performance more than doubled in Tomb Raider, and increased in HL: Lost Coast as well.

Suffice to say, I'll be getting rid of the P106-090. It's just not worth it for my setup.

GTX_1070_8GB_417.22_bench.png

Hello guys

i want to bios reset my Asus p106-100

can you tell me between Which 2 pins i have to make shortcut on bios?

I adding picture to my text

Thank you for your help in advance.

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

• 1 month later...

Would it be possible to use another video card like for example GTX 970? why ask? Because I would love to use my UHD 630 IGPU, with my two monitors and only use the GTX 970 for Gaming, I am interested because in the IGPU I can let windows use its resources and so the GTX 970 uses all the resources only in games, thanks for this info Linus Tech Tips.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 6:40 AM, diogofcr said:

I was able to do it with IVY BRIDGE!! on Windows 7 like nkp123 suggested.

"To force vga output in Windows 7 you need to go to the "Screen resolution" menu, click on "Detect" button - another gray screen(s) should pop up in the menu. Click on one of them, and in the drop down menu select something like "Try to connect VGA display on P106-100"."

After that select "Extend Displays" and apply

Then if you set your "virtual monitor" as a Default (Dont do this unless you have a program to switch windows between monitors with keys!! I use Ultramon programs will start there and use the P106-100 GPU and you can use your hotkey to switch to your main monitor and it will be good

I got 7600 score on PassMark with this method. It is not perfect but until someone figures out how to enable the "High Power Option" for Ivy Bridge on Windows 10 it works. Thank you nkp123!

I've tried the above in Windows 8.1 for my Ivy Bridge with a Zotac p106-90 3gb card.

It appears that the card is working but it is very slow and laggy (worse than integrated graphics!). Any fix?

slowCard.gif

So with  the new driver (265.89) you no longer get the error 43 when changing AdapterType or enabling EnableMsHybrid but the GPU won't be detected as a DirectX capable nonetheless. 

Screenshot (9).png

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 3:08 AM, Mirror Reaper said:

So with  the new driver (265.89) you no longer get the error 43 when changing AdapterType or enabling EnableMsHybrid but the GPU won't be detected as a DirectX capable nonetheless. 

Screenshot (9).png

Have you tried .inf editing?

23 hours ago, Rahul Vivek said:

Have you tried .inf editing?

I tried...

I change the section of 1C09 (P106-090) to 1C06. The driver installed without issues but in regedit I couldn't find the correct strings... I even created then but no results.

On 4/28/2021 at 10:41 PM, lucasgsq said:

I tried...

I change the section of 1C09 (P106-090) to 1C06. The driver installed without issues but in regedit I couldn't find the correct strings... I even created then but no results.

What windows version you are using?