Can I get away with one rad

Ok so my system I want to cool is a 2700x and a 2080 ti. When I used the ekwb site it suggested that I need two rads but I really wanna try to avoid using two as I wanna hardline but keep things as simple as possible for now. I WILL be over clocking but I’m not trying to break records here. If I can use one what size/thickness would you suggest. 

You can use one rad if it's a 240 or 280 or 360mm one.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I was gonna use a single 360 mounted in the front, and suggestions on thickness?

3 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

I was gonna use a single 360 mounted in the front, and suggestions on thickness?

if you want to go with a single raditor only i would go with the biggest one you can fit.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

Ya i think a 60 mm shouldn’t be an issue to fit even with the fans and pump bracket

2 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

Ok so my system I want to cool is a 2700x and a 2080 ti. When I used the ekwb site it suggested that I need two rads but I really wanna try to avoid using two as I wanna hardline but keep things as simple as possible for now. I WILL be over clocking but I’m not trying to break records here. If I can use one what size/thickness would you suggest. 

It all depends on the temps you want, how good ur fans are, you will for sure get a pretty hot loop but it may be ok. 

Hmm, I definitely wanna avoid that as my apartment can get pretty hot in the summer, I guess when I do liquid I’ll just buy 2 rads and extra tube so I can mess up more lol

How big is your case?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Define r6, so pretty big. I have 180mm from the front to the start of the psu shroud. It’s at the top where it gets a bit tight, I can do another 360 mm rad up there, it just clutters the case a bit

1 hour ago, Ravendarat said:

Hmm, I definitely wanna avoid that as my apartment can get pretty hot in the summer, I guess when I do liquid I’ll just buy 2 rads and extra tube so I can mess up more lol

I think you're confused about how heat works. The cpu and graphics card generate heat. That heat is dissipated into your house air via the water cooling system. 

The amount of heat that goes into your home won't change with a warm loop vs cool loop, as the heat source itself remains the same. 

Example, say CPU is 100 watts of heat, graphics card is 100 watts also turning into heat. 

Regardless of how you're removing that 200w worth of heat from the chips and into your room, the same 200w of heat ends up heating your room up. Doesn't matter if you're using an air cooler or two 480mm long 60mm thick radiators in a loop. 

What will change is the average temp of the parts being cooled since a big custom loop will take a long time to heat up in the first place, and will probably be more efficient at dumping that heat into your room. 

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

I’m not worried about my computer hearing my house, I’m worried that since my place is so hot that it will be more detrimental to the cooling ability of the pc. I assume room temp factors in somewhat considering people seem to talk about the ambient temp of their room when discussing cooling solutions but I could be wrong?

50 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

-

Room temperature will always have an effect on how efficiently you can cool your system, air or liquid, nothing changes. (Because watercooled components are not actually cooled by water, its cooled by water that's being cooled by air).

Watercooling lets you increase the surface area for dissipation by utilizing water as a medium to transfer the heat from one location to another. Doing watercooling with a small radiator will perform worse than a large aircooler.

If you planning to put a fat 360 rad at the front of the case into R6 you will end up having the front door open all the time at load. it will work but the water temp might get a bit hot, around +12-15C over ambient. And do not forget to exhaust all the hot air out of the case. Thus you also need the top panel in the open mode with 3 120 fans exhausting hot air out of the case. If you using fat 360 rad you need high static pressure fans on the rad. The fans with highest static pressure numbers are getting very loud at full speed.

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

So if I use the config program on EKs website, which is the product I'm planning on using, they are suggesting using 2 360mm rads (I don't recall if it said 28 or 38 mm), 3 fans on each and than a 140mm exhaust fan at the back, would you think thats the way to go? Im far more concerned with proper performance over all else, so if I need to do two rads for best performance than Ill deal with running the extra lines

7 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

So if I use the config program on EKs website, which is the product I'm planning on using, they are suggesting using 2 360mm rads (I don't recall if it said 28 or 38 mm), 3 fans on each and than a 140mm exhaust fan at the back, would you think thats the way to go? Im far more concerned with proper performance over all else, so if I need to do two rads for best performance than Ill deal with running the extra lines

If you run with the 60mm XE 360 and use push/pull, you should be able to skate by with a single rad. Temps may be a little higher, but you won't have any throttling or performance loss. Just a louder setup from needing to run the fans at a high RPM.

2x 360mm rads are generally recommended so that you can max out the cooling ability while keeping noise down. You get the best of both worlds that way.