Dark Mode YOUR LIFE...

temp.thumb.jpg.e0f1ddeca31ab25b387e66f9411b089d.jpgbetter take some edge off

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Nice Morpheus glasses, Linus.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

File explorer has dark mode in 1809.....

How long ago was this video made??

I'ts been a thing for like weeks or months.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Also the chrome colour invert extension I use is this Dark Mode: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-mode/dmghijelimhndkbmpgbldicpogfkceaj

I found it has better performance than Dark Reader and makes fewer mistakes when inverting things.

Also has a whitelist for websites, although it's not as easy to add the sites to it.

I like that it has a custom css theme for facebook and some other sites though, which looks better than simply inverting.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i gotta say LTT did good with this video. it was full of actually useful info. especially nice of them to include the smart invert colors thing for iOS. i honestly thought they would miss that because almost nobody at LMG uses Apple products. 

She/Her

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE:

(part 1, customizing Windows)

For a TRUE, UNIVERSAL Dark Mode for ALL (almost all, more on that later) apps and applications on Windows 10:

you can use a dark theme from a custom theme maker. I've been using Placebo by SolMiler since the days of Windows 7, and it's fantastic: https://www.deviantart.com/solmiler/art/Placebo-VS-Update-265069618. Unfortunately, it isn't supported on windows 10, but the mad lad Neiio ported it to Windows 10 a year or two ago: https://neiio.deviantart.com/art/Placebo-for-Windows-10-633817502. Unfortunately again, it got taken down from DeviantArt for some reason.  Fortunately, I had it installed, so I have backed the files up for you!  here they are.  You may need to get the latest version of UXThemePatcher from somewhere else before it will work though.

Spoiler

01.JPG.a4d8e96d529a5707d37898c04d512bdf.JPG

02.JPG.fbd6123138cb7b52190aa692d929cf02.JPG

(note that I'm also using a (dated) version of the Clover browser for Explorer to give my explorer tabs.  Don't use the latest versions, it got bought out by a shitty person that removed the themeing options and gave it malware.  If you want, send me a message and I'll send you the version that I have.)

Note also that this will change all default colours in Windows, and all apps that use these default colours too.  Sometimes this can be at your detriment.  For instance, Firefox uses the default colours for the backgrounds of all drop-down menus on webpages, but uses its own colours for the text on those drop-down menus.  This can lead to situations where you can't read anything.  Another example is the application Eagle CAD, where you can see almost all of the problems that these custom themes can cause: 

Spoiler

unknown.png.f0f6fd1d5f98cd1e9ebe6aedfdcb1dc7.png

I still think it's worth it though.

Oh, one last thing - locking, sleeping, or hibernating the system will reset half of the colours, and only half of them, back to the default Windows colours.  You have to have your PC either fully Shut Down, or idling on the desktop when you're not using it.

The price we pay for Dark Mode, huh...

51 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i gotta say LTT did good with this video. it was full of actually useful info. especially nice of them to include the smart invert colors thing for iOS. i honestly thought they would miss that because almost nobody at LMG uses Apple products. 

Not to nitpick but he mentions in the video that dark mode affects all the OS's built-in apps. In reality it's implemented system wide for all apps that use appkit, which is the native GUI toolkit for macOS. So all apps, including third party apps (provided they use appkit), will enable dark mode if you have enabled it in system preferences. 

1 minute ago, Umberto said:

Not to nitpick but he mentions in the video that dark mode affects all the OS's built-in apps. In reality it's implemented system wide for all apps that use appkit, which is the native GUI toolkit for macOS. So all apps, including third party apps (provided they use appkit), will enable dark mode if you have enabled it in system preferences. 

i'm talking about iOS here, not macOS. totally diffewrent implementation of a 'dark mode'... 

She/Her

Part 1 addendum: 

Chrome's new theme ignores the custom URL bar from the Placebo theme, so if you want to not have all that white bullshit, you'll have to use Firefox. I can't remember if Vivaldi ignores it too, but I do remember that Vivaldi ignores the theme for it's scroll bar.

Spoiler

DnGjjN9VsAEXzdW.jpg.592ca1a4113e9d2759366fe7b0c53cb6.jpg

1 minute ago, Construc_ said:

Part 1 addendum: 

Chrome's new theme ignores the custom URL bar from the Placebo theme, so if you want to not have all that white bullshit, you'll have to use Firefox. I can't remember if Vivaldi ignores it too, but I do remember that Vivaldi ignores the theme for it's scroll bar.

Reveal hidden contents

DnGjjN9VsAEXzdW.jpg.592ca1a4113e9d2759366fe7b0c53cb6.jpg

yep. it's really really annoying. it's a shame Chrome is such a good browser otherwise i would switch. 

She/Her

I like Dark Mode for my HTPC setup.

Even SAPGUI has dark mode now lol

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Part 2:  Customizing The Web™: 

LTT Touched on this with Dark Reader and site-specific dark modes, but we can go deeper - UserStyles.org has custom themes for specific websites if certain sites don't play well with dark reader or dont have a dark theme. Use the Stylus addon to use them (the 'official Stylish addon got bought out and subsequently filled with tracking scripts to sell your data)

19 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i'm talking about iOS here, not macOS. totally diffewrent implementation of a 'dark mode'... 

Yes, I was referencing the "LTT did good with this video" and their general lack of knowledge regarding apple products, or more specifically, macos. 

Part 3: Customising your phone:

I use the Material Dark theme for android.  You can find this on most phones' theme stores.  It works on all the default apps including the settings menu, but it does not work on the notifications.  You'll need to root your phone and do all sorts of heinous crimes to get notifications to be dark: 

Spoiler

49949041_224954341717994_424471480424726528_n.jpg.d89c51b10cbaf747330d4326262c18ad.jpg

Now we need statistics. How many LTT-forum users had dark-mode enabled a week ago before this video came out? and how many people have enabled it since?

2 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

image.png.59bbc694f679fdc310f1d72396b75477.png

giphy.gif

Also, you can download a dark theme on some Samsung phones

I 'm pretty sure I've seen a dark LTT intro before.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

They havent thought this title through  .  . .