Intel and AMD have same life?

I'm getting Ryzen 7 2700x, RX 580 , x470, 750watts (80+ gold), m.2 250 GB Samsung. 16 GB 3000 DDR4 Corsair, 2tb barracuda 7200. All Gigabyte Auorus build.

Now, Everyone in my country is recommending me to get Intel cuz it's more reliable and has better resale value and is easier to sell.

I'm an Engineering student. And i wanna learn blender and get into CGI and Designing. But once I get a job and might move away from home. I'll sell the PC if I have to. Or I'll keep this PC in house for next 10 years.

So, I'm looking at Ryzen CPU life. Since I have been using Intel CPUs since 2003.( 1 PC and 2 laptops. ) And I have never had issues with CPUs even tho thier motherboards and SMPS died of age or Dried soldering. Intel CPU would still live on and I would replace everything else and that CPU will still run.

This is my first Ryzen build. Also my first custom PC build. I like both Ryzen and Intel but, all I wanna know is 

Will AMD Ryzen 7 live as much as i7 8700 non K (same cost)

I'd get the 2700X. Not only is it better than the 8700 for CGI and designing, it's a pretty powerful CPU. It's also completely compatible with the new Zen 2 CPUs (which are rumored to match a 8700K as a Ryzen 3 or 5 (!)) with only a BIOS update needed. AMD Ryzen is equally as reliable.

Get the 2700X.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

I forgot to mention, my other issue is the ambient temperature of room in summer gets upto 40°C

And AMD just gets twice as hot than Intel. (From what I hear)

1 minute ago, RAGNES7 said:

They're still living in 2014 where FX is a relevant thing because Ryzen is literally 45C during stress tests (at stock).. while Intel can reach upwards of 60-70. This is all with the stock cooler.

The 2700X also has a RGB cooler if that's relevant

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

4 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

-snip-

I'd probably go with the 2700x as it has the ability to overclock, has more cores, more threads and it has a significantly faster multi-core speed. Intel will always win with single core performance but the multi-core performance is much higher with the 2700x.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

4 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

I forgot to mention, my other issue is the ambient temperature of room in summer gets upto 40°C

The idea that it's "Twice as hot" is all hype and misinformation.  Someone gets all excited because the previous gen (like AMD Bulldozer) would get hot from 8-core CPUs.

At most my impression is that some of the AMD CPUs can run up to 15% hotter but in some cases you get 2 more cores than equivalent priced-Intel (or multi-threading vs Intel removing that from some products). 

The Key Takeaway:  As long as you install a CPU Cooler that isn't garbage, you will be completely fine.  (The stock AMD cooler that comes with most Ryzen CPUs is much better than their previous stock coolers, and I don't consider it garbage).

6 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

Everyone in my country is recommending me to get Intel cuz it's more reliable and has better resale value and is easier to sell.

resale value of any CPU drops of rapidly, and since we havent seen Ryzen for a long time it is hard to predict how it will drop in price. one thing it has going for it is promised 2020 CPUs for the AM4 socket, something you wont be seing from Intel meaning its value up unntill then is still pretty good. 

i would like to mention that AMD is rumoured to put out an 16 core consumer CPU for the AM4 socket around q2 2019. meaning you can slot that in in the future (16 cores is rumoured though not confirmed, 8 cores is confirmed and 16 cores highly likely)

3 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

currently the opposite is true. Intel has been very iffy about their TDP and their thermal solution. the 2700x will run cooler. 

8 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

yes and it will be a whole lot better for blender workloads.  you also have a much better upgrade path

2 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

The Key Takeaway:  As long as you install a CPU Cooler that isn't garbage, you will be completely fine.

stock cooler is fine on AMD cpus. and you can overclock on the stock cooler on all of them except the r5 2600 where the stock cooler will yield limited overclocking results. the 8700 doesnt have a great stock cooler and with the higher ambients temps in your country it will throttle (it gets close to throttling or throttles under stresstests)

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

stock cooler is fine on AMD cpus. and you can overclock on the stock cooler on all of them except the r5 2600 where the stock cooler will yield limited overclocking results. the 8700 doesnt have a great stock cooler and with the higher ambients temps in your country it will throttle (it gets close to throttling or throttles under stresstests)

Yeah I realized that could come off as a bash on the stock cooler when I meant to bash the use of cheap thermal paste and a $8 Ali Express cooler (sub-stock); so I ninja edited my post a couple minutes ago to state that I also agree the AMD Stock coolers for Ryzen are just fine.

1 hour ago, RAGNES7 said:

I'm getting Ryzen 7 2700x, RX 580 , x470, 750watts (80+ gold), m.2 250 GB Samsung. 16 GB 3000 DDR4 Corsair, 2tb barracuda 7200. All Gigabyte Auorus build.

Now, Everyone in my country is recommending me to get Intel cuz it's more reliable and has better resale value and is easier to sell.

I'm an Engineering student. And i wanna learn blender and get into CGI and Designing. But once I get a job and might move away from home. I'll sell the PC if I have to. Or I'll keep this PC in house for next 10 years.

So, I'm looking at Ryzen CPU life. Since I have been using Intel CPUs since 2003.( 1 PC and 2 laptops. ) And I have never had issues with CPUs even tho thier motherboards and SMPS died of age or Dried soldering. Intel CPU would still live on and I would replace everything else and that CPU will still run.

This is my first Ryzen build. Also my first custom PC build. I like both Ryzen and Intel but, all I wanna know is 

I own both cpus and I can say that most of what you have been reading online is false. Stability has been about the same in my experience with crashes being pretty rare on both systems. The 8700k puts out more heat but then again it is also overclocked. Intel and AMD cpus have always lasted a long time even when AMD performance was lacking so whoever said otherwise is full of it. Obviously if you feed a cpu unsafe voltage or do something stupid a cpu can die but from normal use it shouldn't happen. If you aren't starting school until fall and you can wait till the 3000 series comes out i would recommend you wait as it should have more cores and better power efficiency which should be good for your workloads. Also they are significantly increasing avx performance.

Edited by Brooksie359
Autocorrect changing cpu to gpu again.

Just now, LogicWeasel said:

Yeah I realized that could come off as a bash on the stock cooler, so I ninja edited my post a couple minutes ago to state that I also agree the AMD Stock coolers for Ryzen are just fine.

the stock cooler isnt fantastic. like by aftermarket standards it ok, and isnt something that someone would buy (exception can be the higher end cooler on the 2700x, but you wouldnt pay much for it). but its a lot more solid than the sheet of metal you get with the 8700k. 

6 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

My Ryzen is pretty cool at 35c idle, 70c full load, i live in a tropical zone.

Yes everyone maybe suggesting Intel to be cooler than AMD, i'm sure those people will have no clue what is Ryzen.

As for resale value, AMD sold twice as many CPU in the last quarter of 2018 , that gives you some perspective on how people trust them.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

18 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

More like the opposite if you compare using their stock coolers (even at typical room temp here at 25C the 8700 thermal throttles). 2700X has higher heat output, but the stock cooler is magnitudes better than what Intel gives you.

Also, if thermals are a problem, dont overclock then.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

As for resale value, AMD sold twice as many CPU in the last quarter of 2018 , that gives you some perspective on how people trust them.

anecdote: its at 1 very large popular german reseller (they are like the only ones who release these numbers).

i mean AMD has really caught the wind with the popular series of CPUs and they havent stopped delivering yet. 

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

2700X has higher heat output, but the stock cooler is magnitudes better than what Intel gives you.

the solder under heatspreader on the 2700x really helps it along compared to the (meh) thermal paste intel uses

31 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

What PSU exactly?

FOr that build, you'd be fine with 450W, 550W to be "on the safe side"...

Though personally I'd not necessarily go for a 2700x unless I get it for a good price and save up for Ryzen 3000 because its just so much better...

That's absolute horse shit.

That was never true ever, if you went for good quality components and choose decent components.

Even 20 years ago it wasn't really true.

What is true that people tended to use the cheapest garbage and combine that with an AMD System. Like a dangerous, cheap ass (Codegen) Power Supply that isn't even honest on the label and overrated, no Name Memory that was available at the time and came defective out of the factory was sold to others. I think c't killed it with their huge memory Test, that showed them to be broken. Shortly after that those shit was phased out.

And the legendary ECS K7S5A, wich was a perfectly fine board, but bitchy about the memory.

THAT are real reasons. Not that AMD was worse but people were too incompetent to build a decent system!

That an old Pentium 1 Heatsink for like 15-25W is a dumb idea on a 50-75W CPU, should be obvious...

Hm, in that case, why not just look at Threadripper? 12 Cores are rediculously cheap right now.

Though normally they are rather expensive and the Boards are starting at 300€or more.

The next gen Ryzen is said to be coming with up to 16 cores, so that's something to keep in mind and hold out for or prepare to upgrade as soon as possible or viable.

So, I'm looking at Ryzen CPU life. Since I have been using Intel CPUs since 2003.( 1 PC and 2 laptops. ) And I have never had issues with CPUs even tho thier motherboards and SMPS died of age or Dried soldering.

There is no issue, never was. AMD is even more robust in most cases...

And the Core Temperatures are also lower on AMD because they are soldered and done well...

Intels are not soldered and even if, they are done badly.

Intel CPU would still live on and I would replace everything else and that CPU will still run.

Louis Rossmann disagrees with you with Haswell and newer...

Everything is the same, thing is that everyone makes their stuff for Intel, rarely anyone for AMD, wich can cause Problem or is the real issue...

If you go for good quality components, there is no reason for it to be not true that both are about the same, with some advantages on AMD's side (lower Temperatures)....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

24 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

2700X has higher heat output, but the stock cooler is magnitudes better than what Intel gives you.

No, they define the TDP differently.

While AMD's TDP Definition is the Industry standard, INtel's is not.

That means that Intel doesn't take Turbo into account, thus while boosting, the Intel CPU can consume whatever as that is not something defined in the TDP, wich claims the max. power consumption at base clock. You see that the most with the newer 9k Series CPU, wich really violate it...

47 minutes ago, RAGNES7 said:

Now that's just horse shit someone heard decades ago and claims it to be true years later...

Truth is that Intel goes to 80°C or more within seconds. Wich is why I returned my i7-4770K after a couple of hours usage and got something else..

That might not have been as good as it was an A10-7850K with the most expensive Board at the time (A88X-G45 Gaming)

With high ambient temperatures you might look at good after market heatsinks like NH-D15 or rather the NH-C14 because that does blow some air over the VRMs...

I've gone from amd (opteron 165) back to intel and about to go amd again (zen 2 WOO) over the years, i've never had a cpu die on me naturally.

closest was a 2600k refusing to oc anymore, not sure if it's cpu or mobo vrm there.

Then a 670 caught fire and shorted my mobo->6700k.

Overall I'd just say CPUs rarely dies, but the worst experience was from AMD's phenom 2/piledriver cpus, those were junk.

Zen 2 looking good though, hopefully not too buggy.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

5 hours ago, RAGNES7 said:

lol

11 hours ago, RAGNES7 said:

OFF TOPIC:

See! There's that "myth" again about AMD being real hot temp-wise.

I commented on a thread about non-techies here in the forum about this "myth" with AMD:

ON TOPIC:

Barring overvolting a processor to death or extreme overclocking, both AMD and Intel Processor "live" for a long time. In some instances the motherboard have died but the processors themselves are still working. 

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti