Titles are getting worse (proposal)

JoostinOnline
3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

even the 2017 were much better

you know, at least they had product names in them at that point. and they were far more descriptive. 

I think one thing that keeps being touched on but truly acknowledged is that LTT is a business, it HAS to make money, yes the clickbait titles are frustrating, but imo (and it might not be anyone else's), if you like the guys then you'll watch it regardless, the video's can still be informative, maybe not quite as much as a couple years back but there is still something there, it's still good content, the reason these other channels don't have to is because they only have to support themselves, not many others (okay they might have an editor or cameraman but you get my point), for LTT to make money it has to get clicks, and I don't think you can really blame them for doing it as this is the current state of YouTube, you need these clickbaity titles to get people watching, its not a case of how good your content is anymore, its how good your title and thumbnail is (generally speaking), that's why if I know I enjoy the content I will still watch the video, we're in a very frustrating time period on the platform and I think we just have to ride it out, when the medium changed, LTT will change too,its the reason they are as big and successful as they are. 

5 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My rule of thumb is to skip over videos that can't be bothered to tell me what I'm about to watch based on the title. Most of LTT's videos fall under this category lately... 

Sadly, youtube and the general audience seem to prefer garbage titles and thumbnails, so that's what we get.

Unfortunately, if their platform, in this case YouTube, encourages these titles it makes sense that they would follow suit. Perhaps Floatplane won't suffer this same fate?

5 hours ago, TheKDub said:

I definitely would rather have 2015 titles/thumbnails over 2019 titles/thumbnails.

Excellent summary, I started watching around 2015-2016 and everything was different then.

10 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Maybe so, maybe SEO was the wrong word. The algorithm doesn't like when they change titles after the fact, it's unfavorable.

trendning.png.932fa8628a74e6d88337e78cafa29943.png

This is in Australia, the videos have been performing well. Though this isn't as bad as some of the other titles.

Linus commented on these concerns on another thread, I'll have it linked.

Ah, well that changes things.  Thanks for posting.  I wish someone at LTT had responded with this earlier, but I understand they're busy at CES.

4 hours ago, Big Boi Lime said:

I think one thing that keeps being touched on but truly acknowledged is that LTT is a business

That was the whole point of this.  I'm at a disadvantage because I don't have access to their viewership data, but I was unaware of Linus previously addressing the possibility of changing the titles after a period of time.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

This is why I stopped watching all his videos religiously. 

On 1/10/2019 at 11:31 AM, JoostinOnline said:

"clickbait"

------------> People need to STOP! watching any of Linus' videos! <------------------------------

Might be a coincidence, but I noticed the new Radeon 7 video actually had "Radeon VII" added to the title. I hope that becomes a regular thing.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 1/10/2019 at 10:31 AM, JoostinOnline said:

Before I start, this isn't another "clickbait" complaint thread.  I want to address the more recent trend towards minimally descriptive video titles.  These are the ones I'm talking about:

Reveal hidden contents

I understand that you want interesting titles, but this making it increasingly difficult to tell your videos apart.  When all your titles are a super vague question or statement, there's no way to find the correct video without trial and error.  Half the time I don't even know what the title was referring to after I finish the video.

Right now it's not that big of a deal because there aren't that many of them, but it's like having a bunch of "Untitled Folder (#)" folders on your desktop.  The more you make, the harder it will be to tell them apart.  I have a proposal/request that I hope you'll consider:  After a short period of time (a week maybe) make an addendum to the title so it says what the video is actually about.  That way, a month from now, I can look up "linus tech tips nvidia freesync support" (or something) and actually find the correct video.

Edit: Turns out they've already considered and discarded this idea.

Thanks to @ZacoAttaco for pointing out a recent post by Linus.  I wasn't aware of this.  I'm pretty close to my breaking point though.  I understand wanting to make more money, but it's just adding frustration to my life at this point.

I share your sentiment, believe me. Yes the titles work for getting views, but they are vague. The thumbnail does help to tell you at least what product category the video is about, but not necessarily the specific product.

I'm wondering at what stage your're finding yourself frustrated. Is it when you're trying to decide whether or not to watch a video? Is it after you've watched and you're trying to search for it again?

I have found when it comes to searching for a video after the fact, that putting in "linus ipad pro 2018" still brings up the video, even though its title is "Replace your Laptop... with Something Worse!"

On 1/11/2019 at 4:41 PM, fpo said:

This is why I stopped watching all his videos religiously. 

This I don't understand. As someone else ITT stated, "if you're going to watch them all anyway, what does it matter what the title/thumbnail are?"

17 minutes ago, James said:

This I don't understand. As someone else ITT stated, "if you're going to watch them all anyway, what does it matter what the title/thumbnail are?"

I wouldn't share statements like that ae, people might get the wrong idea. 

18 minutes ago, James said:

look. I'll try to expain it. you can either agree or disagree

i get that you're confused, and we get why this move should be made. it's because the system youtube has become, and most of us are against that too. and i also get that you have to move with that to stay relevant. it's not that i don't like the videos, it never changed in a bad way, except for maybe some videos. but it's just that we would like some small changes, even if it's just listing the product or method you're talking about would be enough for me personally. it's just that i want to know what I'll be watching.

25 minutes ago, James said:

I like to know what I’m watching before I watch it. 

I watched all when you first started because I had an idea of what was in the video. But now it’s mostly crazy words & very vague. 

Saying “crazy 30.000 dollar gaming pc whaaa” is better than 

“you wouldn’t believe what cost us 30.000 dollars!” 

As a better example of something that could be made more clear “can we fix it” was about fixing the servers. “Can linus fix our servers in time” would be better because I know linus is fixing servers. I didn’t know what linus was supposed to be fixing in the other title. 

I don’t like vague teases, it feels like you’re treating me as a child. 

Edit:

and I don’t watch them all anymore. I’ve gone months with only watching 1 video. I’m excited to see new LMG content but when you don’t tell me what it is, I feel betrayed in that you want clicks more than transparency. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

I like to know what I’m watching before I watch it. 

I watched all when you first started because I had an idea of what was in the video. But now it’s mostly crazy words & very vague. 

Saying “crazy 30.000 dollar gaming pc whaaa” is better than 

“you wouldn’t believe what cost us 30.000 dollars!” 

As a better example of something that could be made more clear “can we fix it” was about fixing the servers. “Can linus fix our servers in time” would be better because I know linus is fixing servers. I didn’t know what linus was supposed to be fixing in the other title. 

I don’t like vague teases, it feels like you’re treating me as a child. 

image.png

I hear you. Does the server being pictured in the thumbnail help? Or Is it the case that you mainly just scan over titles and you don't actually look at title + thumbnail pairs?

42 minutes ago, James said:

I have found when it comes to searching for a video after the fact, that putting in "linus ipad pro 2018" still brings up the video, even though its title is "Replace your Laptop... with Something Worse!"

go ahead and logout of google and search gtx 1060 review in youtube and tell me you can find linus's video at all if you're a new user. go ahead. 

image.png.6c1b7a35c73c7a36f034ddbf7f24230a.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

@James i wanted to talk about this product which i had no idea what it is with my friend
image.png.1e2c234d9a30cd15e667fde6a7eae5fa.png
only i can't do as i can't for the love of god remember what it's called, becasue title. add the product name after an "-" , so that people can atleast look that up. 

Desktop performce...in this? - Product name. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

13 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

@James i wanted to talk about this product which i had no idea what it is with my friend
image.png.1e2c234d9a30cd15e667fde6a7eae5fa.png
only i can't do as i can't for the love of god remember what it's called, becasue title. add the product name after an "-" , so that people can atleast look that up. 

Desktop performce...in this? - Product name. 

We discussed doing exactly that in meetings, and we even tried it for a few months. Unfortunately the numbers indicate that our current titling scheme works better.

We're at the mercy of the platform. 'the medium is the message'.

25 minutes ago, James said:

image.png

I hear you. Does the server being pictured in the thumbnail help? Or Is it the case that you mainly just scan over titles and you don't actually look at title + thumbnail pairs?

I typically glaze over when the thumbnail is a solid colour. 

I actually watched that video because I kinda figured they were fixing something expensive but I’d prefer a little more. I go to Linus Tech tips channel (3 bars on side to view subscribed channels) then click linus tech tips, videos & then look towards the newest videos. 

If it has a thumbnail that’s vague, I won’t watch. If it has a vague title I won’t watch. If they’re both kinda explanatory, I watch. If the title is descriptive, I click like before the video loads. 

The thumbnail is less important to me. If it has the topic pictured, idc what’s the rest. 

Good Example:

linus crazy face with clickb8 Text with laptop in hand

”what’s crazy about HP’s 2019 ultra thin?” 

Bad example:

linus puzzled with question mark and black outline of product like I haven’t unlocked the character yet

”you wouldn’t believe what HP just did” 

i won’t watch the second video because you’re b8ing me as one would a child & I have no idea what the video is about. 

I will like the first video because I like linus, I like seeing what I’m going to hear about & you told me who made what & that it’s new. Idc that you said it’s crazy. In the past you’ve been fairly right about “holy $h!t! This ultra thin can game by Dell?” Or something. 

I know it’s a dell gaming laptop, I know dell doesn’t (didn’t) make gaming stuff. The laptop was decent at gaming. That was a successful and satisfying experience the whole way. 

4 minutes ago, fpo said:

I typically glaze over when the thumbnail is a solid colour. 

I actually watched that video because I kinda figured they were fixing something expensive but I’d prefer a little more. I go to Linus Tech tips channel (3 bars on side to view subscribed channels) then click linus tech tips, videos & then look towards the newest videos. 

If it has a thumbnail that’s vague, I won’t watch. If it has a vague title I won’t watch. If they’re both kinda explanatory, I watch. If the title is descriptive, I click like before the video loads. 

The thumbnail is less important to me. If it has the topic pictured, idc what’s the rest. 

Good Example:

linus crazy face with clickb8 Text with laptop in hand

”what’s crazy about HP’s 2019 ultra thin?” 

Bad example:

linus puzzled with question mark and black outline of product like I haven’t unlocked the character yet

”you wouldn’t believe what HP just did” 

i won’t watch the second video because you’re b8ing me as one would a child & I have no idea what the video is about. 

I will like the first video because I like linus, I like seeing what I’m going to hear about & you told me who made what & that it’s new. Idc that you said it’s crazy. In the past you’ve been fairly right about “holy $h!t! This ultra thin can game by Dell?” Or something. 

I know it’s a dell gaming laptop, I know dell doesn’t (didn’t) make gaming stuff. The laptop was decent at gaming. That was a successful and satisfying experience the whole way. 

Thanks for sharing, these comments are helpful.

15 minutes ago, James said:

We discussed doing exactly that in meetings, and we even tried it for a few months. Unfortunately the numbers indicate that our current titling scheme works better.

We're at the mercy of the platform. 'the medium is the message'.

atleast add the product name in the thumbnail something!, you're basically putting out videos with planned obsolescence, no one's ever gonna remember the video title or what's it called if someone ever has to find it again, and new user would never find your videos as its named obscurely, give it a try, are really positive the title is what getting the views? are you sure nothing else is tampering the results? go with product names at the end for a week, see what happens. anything but please do fix the titles, long time viewer as back as NXIC 2011, have never really had complains about LTT until now. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

1 hour ago, James said:

I share your sentiment, believe me. Yes the titles work for getting views, but they are vague. The thumbnail does help to tell you at least what product category the video is about, but not necessarily the specific product.

I'm wondering at what stage your're finding yourself frustrated. Is it when you're trying to decide whether or not to watch a video? Is it after you've watched and you're trying to search for it again?

I tried adding the year to some of my searches and that helped. It doesn't work without it, and that wasn't previously an issue. Also if it's a recent video I have always just scrolled through recent uploads and picked out the video. I can't do that anymore with the recent titles.

1 hour ago, James said:

I've actually stopped watching lots of the videos as well. I understand your reasons, but my instinct to rebel against manipulation kicks in when I see the title. I get that numbers are all that matter in a business, but it's also kind of sad that you're driving away your original audience.

I wish you'd stop pretending that LMG is forced to do this. You may need manipulation to make more money, but it's still a choice. Blaming YouTube and trends only gets you so far. It's like a developer saying they had no choice to include loot boxes because research showed that would make them the most money.

26 minutes ago, James said:

Thanks for sharing, these comments are helpful.

At first i thought you might be like “don’t watch what you don’t like” but I’m glad you’re accepting community feedback & taking it to heart. 

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I wish you'd stop pretending that LMG is forced to do this. You may need manipulation to make more money, but it's still a choice. Blaming YouTube and trends only gets you so far. It's like a developer saying they had no choice to include loot boxes because research showed that would make them the most money.

Sort of. If you want there to be LTT videos in the future, we have to follow the money. There's a reason many other HUGE tech youtubers have come and gone but we'll still here and still growing.

6 minutes ago, James said:

Sort of. If you want there to be LTT videos in the future, we have to follow the money. There's a reason many other HUGE tech youtubers have come and gone but we'll still here and still growing.

may I just ask, does it matter much if you would do the exact same title, and would give us some way to look it up? Let's give a example

You won't believe what this does! [product name]

btw, would a tag help? my youtube knowledge is little about this

Edited by LukeSavenije

12 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

may I just ask, does it matter much if you would do the exact same title, and would give us some way to look it up? Let's give a example

You won't believe what this does! [product name]

btw, would a tag help? my youtube knowledge is little about this

We've got it on pretty good authority that Google basically ignores tags on YouTube. I wouldn't be surprised if they remove the feature at some point..

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

We've got it on pretty good authority that Google basically ignores tags on YouTube. I wouldn't be surprised if they remove the feature at some point..

THE GOD KING HATH SPOKEN.

AND ITS NOT ABOUT CLICK BAIT TITLES

lol

It doesn't make google money, so until Youtube pays it will ignore the tags.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case