Sayonara Tax

Canada EH

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/travelers-leaving-japan-will-now-pay-sayonara-tax-125137579.html

Starting Monday, January 7, visitors to Japan will have to pay a 1,000 yen levy when leaving.

Man that is expensive as fuck! Now I wont be going to Japan no more for my fresh tech!

The Japan tourist tax is being implemented in anticipation of the surge in visitors expected in 2020 for the Tokyo Olympics.

Money grab, greed is real!

The departure tax — dubbed a “sayonara tax” — applies to both international and Japanese travelers who travel via plane or ship, excluding children under 2 years old and those in Japan for fewer than 24 hours.

Fewer then 24 hours, interesting. What about those layed over in the airport?

Japan wanted money to pay for technology terminals to process visitors quicker and to add improved international language signage throughout the country,” World Travel & Tourism Council Research Director Rochelle Turner told Yahoo Finance.

The money is also expected to go towards installing cashless payment terminals for public transportation.

Pay for technology terminals to process visitors quicker, and more languages in the country. What about those people who prefer to pay cash only?

Perhaps those lineups will be empty?

While travel and tourism contribute to less than 7% of Japan’s GDP, the Tokyo government considers tourism a driver of economic growth given the recent surge in arrivals.

Japan saw a boost in tourism between 2014 and 2015 as seen in the graph below, and arrivals topped 30 million for the first time in 2018

Japan is nice to visit for about a week or two.

Chinese tourists account for the largest number of foreign tourists to Japan, followed by South Korea and Taiwan. Although American visitors only comprised 4.8% in 2017, the number has been steadily increasing. Between January to November last year alone, almost 1.4 million Americans visited the country.

I prefer more idylic places with soft sandy beaches.

Its 12$ cad..
or 10$ usd..

calm down..

If its a troll post, please don't post this in Tech News
If its not.. Geez, you're corroding as fast as another member here...

This is hardly tech news. and please give your post a meaningful title.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

is

Yes its in the article, but 1000 yen is 1000 yen, so many yen so expensive.

To pay for TECHNOLOGY for faster payment when the olympics arrive. Innovative ways to reduce the $10 billion cost of any Olympics. Do you think the Canadian government could devise such a good money gathering tactic, go smoke da herb TurdOH

10 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Now I wont be going to Japan no more for my fresh tech!

Technology is more expensive in Japan. I love how you are the embodiment of sarcasm. Good on you dude. A living troll god.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

And how is this related to tech? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Bit cheeky, what happens if you don’t pay it?

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

You can not leave I guess. There are people, perpetually stuck in and can not leave airports.

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

you dont get to leave.

huh...that's a much cheaper way to stay in the country instead of going through the immigration system

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

you dont get to leave.

huh...that's a much cheaper way to stay in the country instead of going through the immigration system

I can however think of much better places to "live" in, I mean not be able to leave from ;)

Just now, RorzNZ said:

It will probably be integrated into plane tickets out of the country and other methods of transportation.

I don't know Japan well, so maybe (likely) they have trains going out ?
boats
or whatever else xD 

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just now, Arika S said:

you dont get to leave.

?

3 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

It will probably be integrated into plane tickets out of the country and other methods of transportation.

boats
or whatever else xD 

Do you mean a 225km underwater tunnel to S.Korea or perhaps to oil rich Sakhalin Island about 65km but nothing is there, except oil and gas, Putins oil!

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

You can not leave I guess. There are people, perpetually stuck in and can not leave airports.

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

you dont get to leave.

I don’t think keeping people for 10 bucks is very legal, I guess it depends on their billing system, can’t pay if I’ve left the country. Maybe with card or cash at customs?

Another thing is  can’t stay unless you have a visa, but also can’t leave, maybe they keep you till you have to buy another visa. 

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It's going to be incorporated in to the ticket cost of your plane/ship out of the country. So I guess you already pay for it if you pay for your plane ticket.

https://www.jnto.org.au/app/uploads/2018/06/International-Tourist-Tax.pdf

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

And how is this related to tech? 

It has the word "Technology" written once in a random article about it mentioning that the tax collected through this scheme may be used to fund electronic terminals as well as putting up signs in more languages for tourists. Get off the stage, Jensen, this is bigger tech news than anything happening at CES. /s

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Canada EH said:

Do you mean a 225km underwater tunnel to S.Korea or perhaps to oil rich Sakhalin Island about 65km but nothing is there, except oil and gas.

I don't know.

Its probably planes and boats. I doubt there's such a thing as a train tbh. but who knows, Japan tends to be weird.

34 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Technology

People just dont read, I get it. They just read the title, and first quote. Like whats Taxes gotta do with Technology. Then 1000 yen, and olympics throws them off. Big red bold and underlined text in 48 size font just doesnt register. I get it.

@givingtnt

Japan is light years ahead in train technology, so perhaps they did build a trillion dollar tunnel to S.K. I do not know.

Longest Tunnel in the World

Seikan Tunnel – 53.9 km

Japan’s Seikan Tunnel is the longest underwater tunnel in the world, and is located beneath the Tsugaru Strait. The tunnel connects Hokkaido Island with the Aomori Prefecture. The tunnel was constructed as the government’s response to the unfortunate sinking of five ferry ships due to a typhoon back in 1954, which resulted in public outrage. As engineers saw that extreme weather conditions made bridges too risky, an undersea tunnel would be the safest way to go. The tunnel was completed in March of 1998, which saw the start of all railway transport using the tunnel.

3rd longest tunnel in the world. Channel tunnel is second at 37.9 km.

Tokyo Bay Aqua line – 15 km

The Tokyo Bay Aqua line is also recognized as a toll highway which spans the Tokyo Bay of Japan. The Tokyo Bay Aqua line opened to the public in December 1997, since planning and construction took 31 years. The tunnel connects Kisazaru City to Kawasaki City; and before the tunnel to cross both cities it required one to drive 100 kilometers along the Tokyo Bay; or to take a ferry.

Haha, I'd still pay it. Japan seems awesome. It's a very small added cost to a trip.

25 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Yes its in the article, but 1000 yen is 1000 yen, so many yen so expensive.

To pay for TECHNOLOGY for faster payment when the olympics arrive. Innovative ways to reduce the $10 billion cost of any Olympics. Do you think the Canadian government could devise such a good money gathering tactic, go smoke da herb TurdOH

Yeah, because you know, there's no tourism taxes in BC, or Ontario...and it doesn't cost an extra $5 just to go on the train from the airport to the main line in Vancouver..

/s

20 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

boats
or whatever else xD 

The boat is considerably more expensive than the plane. You'd spend more money just getting to the ferry than you would paying the Sayonara fee.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

There has to be a Ferry from Japan to S.Korea.

Lemme look for ya'z

https://www.directferries.com/ferries_from_japan_to_south_korea.htm

There is. It's more expensive than the plane.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

There is. It's more expensive than the plane.

Yes I tried to get a price, but it took more then two menus and I just gave up.

You could probably hop a ride on a go fast boat, they typically run stolen automobiles, other goods as well. Skip the 1000 yen tax for leaving.

If you have the money to visit Japan, then you also have the money to pay $10 extra, troll news?

Big numbers, big numbers bad, hurr durr ?

Well it's either this or draining the local taxpayers.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I don’t see how Japan could actually enforce this if someone refused to pay it.

Unless you are being detained for criminal activity and awaiting trial you can't be forced from returning to your home country. That is false confinement.

The only way this could be implemented legally under international law would be to have it included as some sort of tax prior to entering the country.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.