Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steam scammers on the rise

Nova Dwagon
 Share

Ok I know this is not on any offical news platforms but LTT can you please cover that steam scammers are on the rise and manipulating users into giving them details because they accdently reported them or they see mutiple reports on there account.

I had 2 people recently get there account stolen so far so can you please tell your vast audience to NEVER give out there password/username/steam guard code TO ANY ONE

Please ❤️

thanks you LTT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

bruh if you give your password to a random dude on steam you kinda deserve to be scammed

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

bruh if you give your password to a random dude on steam you kinda deserve to be scammed

Exactly. Obviously I would rather not anyone get hacked or scammed but if you're gullible enough to give away passwords and steam guard codes you really shouldn't have access to Steam, or the internet in general.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a steam friend recently message saying this site gives you free games or whatever and if I got any good ones to sell them to him. I was like whatever and checked it out and it told me to link my steam account. I was getting ready to type in my credentials when I realized something felt off. Checked the url and it said about blank; if I moused over some links it gave a strange url and none of the links on the "steam" site did anything. I almost got caught by the phishing scam.

 

I'm guessing my steam friend went to the site and got hacked by it and they sent messages to all of their friends.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

 

Do this:

Quote

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

 

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

 

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

 

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

 

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Nova Dwagon said:

I had 2 people recently get there account stolen so far so can you please tell your vast audience to NEVER give out there password/username/steam guard code TO ANY ONE

Well... Shit. This is just common sense. If they're stupid enough to give their password and steam guard code to a random person on the internet, they deserve to lose their account. They should be thankful it was just their steam account and not their online banking or paypal.

 

If they haven't done so already, and they probably haven't since they're clearly morons, advise your friends to change their passwords on other platforms and services as well, as the people who hijacked the steam account may try using the email address and password on other platforms, such as email, facebook, etc. If your friends used the same password elsewhere, and they probably did because they're dumbasses, then they can end up losing more than just their steam account.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeaaah, this is common sense.

Never click random link from people on steam, even if they are your "friends", especially if they send a link out of effing nowhere.
Never give your credentials to anyone either...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB with Noctua Fans / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 11 Pro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually get emails from steam that people try and log in to my account with the correct password non-stop. Have blocked them as they need my email etc. Valve are about as useless as they get to stop this (Although EA are far far worse!). In a large community I understand though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I actually get emails from steam that people try and log in to my account with the correct password non-stop. Have blocked them as they need my email etc. Valve are about as useless as they get to stop this (Although EA are far far worse!). In a large community I understand though.

Activate Steam Guard, it needs your phone.

Desktop: 11700k @ stock, 32gb ddr4 @ 3000, 3080Ti, Maximus XIII.

 

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Activate Steam Guard, it needs your phone.

I don't have my phone or credit card attached to my account. Don't want personal information like that on something easily hacked. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I don't have my phone or credit card attached to my account. Don't want personal information like that on something easily hacked. 

If you're not dumb enough to give your password to anyone and it isn't "1234", "catlove" or any easy stuff like that you have nothing to worry about.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I don't have my phone or credit card attached to my account. Don't want personal information like that on something easily hacked. 

What can they do with your phone number?

 

For purchasing just use PayPal, it adds a layer of security. Otherwise it asks for your CVC for each purchase...

Desktop: 11700k @ stock, 32gb ddr4 @ 3000, 3080Ti, Maximus XIII.

 

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

literally every service that exists with a chat feature says "never give out your password to anyone" as soon as you open the chat window on steam it says that, and when dealing with your account it says "we will never ask for your username and password".

 

steam has so many safeguards that it's not like a "whoops"

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

literally every service that exists with a chat feature says "never give out your password to anyone" as soon as you open the chat window on steam it says that, and when dealing with your account it says "we will never ask for your username and password".

 

steam has so many safeguards that it's not like a "whoops"

Unlucky how they asked for my password and credit card to unlock my account. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Arika S said:

literally every service that exists with a chat feature says "never give out your password to anyone" as soon as you open the chat window on steam it says that, and when dealing with your account it says "we will never ask for your username and password".

 

steam has so many safeguards that it's not like a "whoops"

Unfortunately if the person's on an emotional rush when they believe an administrator or something is contacting them about some supposed disciplinary action, rational thinking tends to go out the window.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nova Dwagon said:

Ok I know this is not on any offical news platforms but LTT can you please cover that steam scammers are on the rise and manipulating users into giving them details because they accdently reported them or they see mutiple reports on there account.

I had 2 people recently get there account stolen so far so can you please tell your vast audience to NEVER give out there password/username/steam guard code TO ANY ONE

Please ❤️

thanks you LTT

It is common sense, so I dont feel bad for those that lose their accounts.

 

It will teach them a life long lesson, best for them to have their Steam account stolen, then say something like their house or their identity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I don't have my phone or credit card attached to my account. Don't want personal information like that on something easily hacked. 

Its pretty hard to actually get into someone's steam account if they have 2 factor on. I mean, its virtually impossible unless youre some NSA level hacker to get into something properly secured with 2FA so idk why youd say its "easily hacked".

 

Unless the SSFN file is still stealable and the vulnerability being exploited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Whats 2 factor?

Two factor authentication. In the csse of Steam its the Steam Mobile Authenticator which is a time based code generator.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Two factor authentication. In the csse of Steam its the Steam Mobile Authenticator which is a time based code generator.

Hmmmmm

So its not like click on the squares with a bicycle in it, or the type the squiggly letters out.

 

Did not Linus get pinched hard on some scammers a cpl yrs ago. If anyone got a quick link, would love to read up on it. Do not give me the video. Just the forum thread.

Got it, from Lman himself

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Hmmmmm

So its not like click on the squares with a bicycle in it, or the type the squiggly letters out.

 

Did not Linus get pinched hard on some scammers a cpl yrs ago. If anyone got a quick link, would love to read up on it. Do not give me the video. Just the forum thread.

Got it, from Lman himself

 

 

 

Nah thats to make sure people signing up for accounts arent robots. 2 factor authentication makes it impossible for someone to log in even if they have your password. Without the generated code theyll still be locked out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Amazonsucks said:

Its pretty hard to actually get into someone's steam account if they have 2 factor on. I mean, its virtually impossible unless youre some NSA level hacker to get into something properly secured with 2FA so idk why youd say its "easily hacked".

 

Unless the SSFN file is still stealable and the vulnerability being exploited.

Well I don't know what hackers are capable of, but I don't want to take any chances. I don't have that much money to take that risk, even if it is quite small. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

there have been more of them lately tho, like yes you have to be utterly brain dead to get caught but there have been way more the last coupple months. i get about one a week now whie it used to be more like once every two months or even less before

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

 

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

 

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×