*UPDATED with recommendations* UPLAY Launcher now has a "How to build a PC"

YoloSwag

UPDATE:

They now included a build recommendation as part of a news article/post still related to this post but it isn't found in the same ribbon tab. Illustration below.

So it seems like Ubisofts own game launcher now has a "How to build a PC" ribbon tab and it's been there since the 3rd of November 2018...

2054775029_howtobuildapc.thumb.PNG.c6ea1ef8e9e1d7851b0fddafbfb4ea98.PNG

Source: UPLAY itself

I for one did not notice it, maybe because I rarely use UPLAY to launch my games.

So yay! Ubisoft.

The video itself wasn't made by Ubisoft (thank God), it was uploaded by a channel on Youtube called NGON.

I think the aim of this was to educate dudes new to PC building or want to try it out (duh).

Better yet I think it aims to educate people about buying pre-built and/or trash PCs that are total rip-offs - basically, so people can avoid this -

I'm not sure if the "How to build a PC" in the ribbon deserves to be there though... I'm just saying no one would really come back to check it out.

Maybe it should be within the 'Games' section like a green button there or something.

Comments:

• Good - It was pretty nice. The dude tried to explain carefully each essential component in a PC and what you need to consider.
  • Slightly meh - He didn't take into account one of the most important things like "set a budget first" - this is gonna bite your ass if you neglect it totally. Technically speaking price doesn't really come into "how to build" but the video itself explains how to pick parts sooo...
  • Low-key stuff - If you watch the video closely, the guy chose a Ryzen CPU and some Sapphire Nitro GPU. Hmm...

Too bad there isn't a ribbon tab on the launcher called "How to fix buggy/broken games"

EDIT: I don't know why Ubisoft didn't link to their own forums though - https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1444233-Building-a-gaming-PC-–-Part-1-Getting-Started

EDIT 2: You can watch the video here -

UPDATE CONTINUED:

Below are UBISOFT's and NGON's PC build recommendation split into categories - ENTRY, MID-RANGE, ULTRA, and ENTHUSIAST -

257225505_ub-entry.PNG.d4f699524e73ba16baf9421b10c8eabc.PNG

1051742145_ub-mid-range.PNG.f9f1353fac18db4c1c9515ca426683e3.PNG

1231417386_ub-enthusiast.PNG.bc658ef92f7eaa6c33de743fdcd96e9f.PNG

875251716_ub-ultra.PNG.e56ba81529e356eac343085a89ddfda1.PNG

Needless to say there is obviously a huge pricing difference between AMD and intel CPUs as both of intel's motherboard and processors are very expensive compared to AMD's own offerings.

Other nitpicks -

• SSDs are still expensive and only offers performance boost to loading times. Generally, I'd say just put all essential programs in the SSD (500GB is more than enough) and other games in an HDD (2TB is pretty standard) to save up money and space.
  • The 2280 form factor for M.2 drives listed here still depends on the motherboard, no point getting one if your motherboard doesn't even have the slot.
  • Motherboard form factors (in this case mATX & ATX) are generally irrelevant to the performance and sometimes even pricing. Just say the chipset.
  • RAM speed should be like 2800MHz and up or something. What if the guy found a cheaper 3866MHz+ kit.
  • For "Enthusiast" I would still consider the GTX 1070 as a good base for 1440p... to some degree an RX 580 8GB would still do an adequate job.
  • Mid-Range - there's nothing wrong with an RX 570 for 1080p gaming, so perhaps put RX 570 or GTX 1060 3/5/6GB instead?
  • Also maybe put some pricing range, like you would get the "Entry" level system for say $400.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Only watched 5 mins, already put the video into the same level as The Verge.

1. Judging CPU platform performance and marketing position with motherboard size. So X399 must be low end because Asrock made the mATX X399M Taichi, while Z270 must be the world's greatest platform because Asus Maximus 9 Apex is an EATX board. Silly.

2. Quote: use an SSD that uses a PCIe slot, like an M.2 drive. WTF

3. Selection of the CPU as the very last step of considering what motherboard to buy...

24 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

EDIT: I don't know why Ubisoft didn't link to their own forums though - https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1444233-Building-a-gaming-PC-–-Part-1-Getting-Started

as far as I can see, choosemypc.net is dead. When I asked for a $2000 build, it gave me a 6600k, Cryorig M9 cooler and a pair of Zotac 1080 mini.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

so what's ubisoft's recommended PC build?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I'm just here for the Verge jokes.

I actually thought of incorporating it in the post, but my conscience got the better of me and I thought the guy needed a second chance in life lol.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

7 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Only watched 5 mins, already put the video into the same level as The Verge.

1. Judging CPU platform performance and marketing position with motherboard size. So X399 must be low end because Asrock made the mATX X399M Taichi, while Z270 must be the world's greatest platform because Asus Maximus 9 Apex is an EATX board. Silly.

3. Selection of the CPU as the very last step of considering what motherboard to buy...

as far as I can see, choosemypc.net is dead. When I asked for a $2000 build, it gave me a 6600k, Cryorig M9 cooler and a pair of Zotac 1080 mini.

Yeah was cutting the guy some slack on it. The channel's not that big yet and they seem pretty low-key for the most part unlike The Verge.

Anyway, I thought the video's art direction was pretty good so they got that going for them which is nice. lol

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, williamcll said:

It's basically non-existent for now.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Actually, building a system should always go this way:

I want this, this and this and when it's holy shit that's expensive you start trimming. Doing the "I have 500€" what can I build with that is a terrible approach. Because you're going from a bottom up instead from top down. Which means you'll make much more severe and performance impacting cost cuttings where with top down approach, you'll be more likely to spend extra 50€ on top and really make a decent build.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Actually, building a system should always go this way:

I want this, this and this and when it's holy shit that's expensive you start trimming. Doing the "I have 500€" what can I build with that is a terrible approach. Because you're going from a bottom up instead from top down. Which means you'll make much more severe and performance impacting cost cuttings where with top down approach, you'll be more likely to spend extra 50€ on top and really make a decent build.

I don't know, could be a mindset or mentality thing.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Note to OP: Ngon is owned by Ubisoft so it is basically the equivalent of Ubisoft teaching gamers how to build a PC.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

33 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

I actually thought of incorporating it in the post, but my conscience got the better of me and I thought the guy needed a second chance in life lol.

Give in to the Dark Side.

On 11/30/2018 at 2:03 AM, williamcll said:

I updated the post and I quoted you because it was relevant to your question :)

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Interesting on how they pair ATI gpus for intel rather than with ryzen.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 11/29/2018 at 6:35 PM, YoloSwag said:

Also maybe put some pricing range, like you would get the "Entry" level system for say $400.

I'm on Ubisoft's side on this one; pricing can vary wildly depending on country/currency/taxes. No matter what price they include, they could be wildly misrepresenting reality for some of their users and thus mislead them.

what's with the negativity around building PC these days? they've did a decent job. its easy to nitpick any thing if you want to, if anything PC users are gonna get more hate for hating other people's builds and decisions as everyone thinks they're an elitist. unless some one posts an absurdly incompatible build, let them be. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

8 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

what's with the negativity around building PC these days? they've did a decent job. its easy to nitpick any thing if you want to, if anything PC users are gonna get more hate for hating other people's builds and decisions as everyone thinks they're an elitist. unless some one posts an absurdly incompatible build, let them be. 

Nitpicking isn't bad and is personally a matter of opinion. It's a verb that means "to criticize by focusing on inconsequential details".

"Inconsequential details" means that there are no real consequences if something was changed.

Anyway, the negativity you're talking about started from internet feedback from The Verge's own video and everyone got a piece in it.

I posted this not to down Ubisoft or NGON but to spread news that they're actually doing something versus other companies who don't even say what specs you need to run what game in what settings to produce how much fps.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

The original stuff was pretty mediocre. The updates look better; those suggested builds are quite reasonable. That's what constructive criticism gets you.

On 11/29/2018 at 7:58 PM, Jurrunio said:

I think it means that you need to use M.2 PCI Express SSD.  normal m.2 won't have NVME support

"entry level"

spend 1/4 of the budget on an SSD

you could add like 3 hard drives with that but hey "iTs FoR teH lOoKS1!"

noice

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

19 minutes ago, Likwid said:

I think it means that you need to use M.2 PCI Express SSD.  normal m.2 won't have NVME support

I know that right?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I like how they promoted AMD with Nvidia & Intel with Radeon! :D

Zen-III-X12-5900X (Gaming PC)

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35,3MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X(ECO mode), 12-cores, 24-threads, 4.5/4.8GHz, 70.5MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2.6GHz 10.6 TFLOPS (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600(ASUS Performance Enhancement), 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,7MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1.5GHz 10.54 TFLOPS (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

Better than The Verge's take but still flawed. Nonsense talk about mainboards, bad info graphics, problematic generalizations and for total beginners useless tech talk about Caches and stuff. Then the issues with the M.2 NVMe drives, useless talk about multiple GPU systems. It's not terrible but it could have been done a lot better. It's sad to see that big companies just don't get it right with these guides.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Not nearly as bad as the verge but still misleading. How is it so hard to get PC building right? 

On 12/10/2018 at 1:56 AM, corrado33 said:

Not nearly as bad as the verge but still misleading. How is it so hard to get PC building right? 

I think a good flowchart would be a nice start for beginners just so they know they can actually match AMD Radeon cards with intel CPUs (This was actually a problem in the bast where people I've talked to thought if you bought intel you can only pair Nvidia. I haven't talked to them since then lol)

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler