Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DrMacintosh

October 30th Apple Hardware Event Recap, w/ Vega?

17 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I’d have to agree, the iPad Pro’s biggest competitor is the Surface line from Microsoft. Especially with the introduction of the Surface Go line.

I was hoping WoA would give Apple competition when it comes to tablets but nah. The Galaxy Book 2 isn’t even competitive when it comes to price. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

5 hours ago, xtroria said:

dont try to compare macbook pricing with the normal 1080P laptops. Try to compare them to the surface lineup and you'll see that the high end laptop prices are pretty much similar

I know, stop bringing logic into this alright! But saying that the other equivalents have 2x the SSD capacity for the same/similar price here, which blows.

5 hours ago, avg123 said:

What does a XPS 13 cost in Australia?

Similar price sadly, they start at $1,800 for a similar spec (albeit a larger SSD & touch screen). If I was to get a new laptop, I don't think i'd get a Windows based one, as I personally prefer MacOS/OSX on a laptop for some reason over Windows, where as I much prefer Windows on a desktop over MacOS/OSX. Also i'm way too used to Apples amazing trackpad, it's what got me to enjoy using a laptop all those years ago with the original Core2Duo MacBook.

PC

Case: Ncase M1 CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k MB: ASUS Strix Z270I RAM: 16GB DDR4 Kingston Fury 2400Mhz SSD: Intel 600P M.2 512GB | WD Blue M.2 500GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Gold Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2, Noctua NF-A9x14

NAS

CPU: Intel Core i3 6100 MB: ASRock B150M ITX RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR4-2133 SSD: Samsung 850-EVO 250GB HDD: WD RED 3TB x2

Cooler: Noctua L9i Case: Silverstone CS01 PSU: Silverstone 300W SFX 80+ Bronze Fans: Noctua NF-F12

MacBook Air 2014

CPU: Intel Dual Core i5 @ 1.4GHz RAM: 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SSD: 128GB GPU: Intel 5000 HD Graphics

4 minutes ago, Virus__ said:

I know, stop bringing logic into this alright! But saying that the other equivalents have 2x the SSD capacity for the same/similar price here, which blows.

Similar price sadly, they start at $1,800 for a similar spec (albeit a larger SSD & touch screen). If I was to get a new laptop, I don't think i'd get a Windows based one, as I personally prefer MacOS/OSX on a laptop for some reason over Windows, where as I much prefer Windows on a desktop over MacOS/OSX. Also i'm way too used to Apples amazing trackpad, it's what got me to enjoy using a laptop all those years ago with the original Core2Duo MacBook.

Are you from Perth? Does Australia sales tax vary by state?

8 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Are you from Perth? Does Australia sales tax vary by state?

Nah mate, east coast, and nah 10% sales tax nationwide which is incorporated into the sale price at least.

PC

Case: Ncase M1 CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k MB: ASUS Strix Z270I RAM: 16GB DDR4 Kingston Fury 2400Mhz SSD: Intel 600P M.2 512GB | WD Blue M.2 500GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Gold Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2, Noctua NF-A9x14

NAS

CPU: Intel Core i3 6100 MB: ASRock B150M ITX RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR4-2133 SSD: Samsung 850-EVO 250GB HDD: WD RED 3TB x2

Cooler: Noctua L9i Case: Silverstone CS01 PSU: Silverstone 300W SFX 80+ Bronze Fans: Noctua NF-F12

MacBook Air 2014

CPU: Intel Dual Core i5 @ 1.4GHz RAM: 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SSD: 128GB GPU: Intel 5000 HD Graphics

Basically, the Air is a device that complicates the whole MP lineup and the pricing makes no sense. The base model is 128GB ffs in 2018. $200 more for 256 is a joke. And no 128 GB is not enough for most people. The MP naming scheme at this point is out of this world and unless you are an Apple engineers you probably won't be able to find out what's what. The basic MB costs more than the Air and is a downgrade in almost every possible way. iPad Pro has no headphone jack so now you need a usb-c to 3.5mm to go along with your lightning to 3.5mm if you're into that. Good forbid you want to use a keyboard and charge the iPad Pro at the same time. Dongle galore. God forbid they gave you $9 dongle in the box with the iPad Pro. You gotta earn that money to get to $2 trillion. I could go on and on. Apple at this point has no idea what they're doing. They don't.

I have in my home an iPad Air 2 and a MBP 2017. I could justify both of these things, even the MBP, and could argue for days why. These new devices? Fuck no. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I don’t like the MacBook Air one bit since it’s basically a MacBook Pro with an anemic CPU. The Mac Mini looks promising, but it can get REALLY expensive if you max out the SSD and RAM, at least it looks like RAM is user replaceable. 

The most exiting thing here are the new iPads, which are probably more powerful than the 13” MacBook Pros. But Apple has to be Apple and knocked off the headphone jack. Alas, as much as I like it I already have a really good iPad Pro, so I’m skipping this one. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Maybe, but personally Samsung has fallen to the wayside imo. Apple has been in the media for months now and I can't even remember when I saw a modern Samsung phone last in the wild. 

I know they still ship a lot of units, but I'm just not seeing them in my day to day life. 

In fairness... you are in the US. Where the phone market is fucked up to all hell compared to the rest of the world. Near 45% market share in the US compared to under 25% in Europe and about 15% globally.

Apple is actually the plurality cellphone maker in the US. Though as a counter anecdote here in the midwest, I haven't yet seen someone rocking a Xs or Xs Max, and see at least one s9+ on a daily basis ;)

Anyways! In tablets for sure. Rocking a full non-iOS operating system is probably the biggest reason the Surface still has the market share it does. I don't personally think the iPad pro makes more sense for well... anyone... but I know a lot of people "invested in the ecosystem". (Quotes because that's what they'd say. Not because it actually would be a downside if they wanted to swap.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Galaxy S9+ - XPS 13 (9343 UHD+) - Samsung Note Tab 7.0 - Lenovo Y580

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Surface and ipad are not direct competitors. Two different outcomes for both with only a small overlap between them.

Also to note, the 4gig Surface GO can handle quite a bit with Windows 10 memory management. I suggest watching Windows Central video on it. 

want to note that at the pricepoint that the new Apple iPad, you can get more than the base model Surface Go.

you can get the 8GB model with a typecover and the pencil for the same ammount as only the base model Ipad Pro 11".

at the pricepoint that the iPad is at, you are going up against the Surface Pro line. that is what Apple is up against, they are the closest competitors and it is what Apple is putting it up against. they are marketing it as an 2 in 1 laptop (at least as far as i noticed)

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

want to note that at the pricepoint that the new Apple iPad, you can get more than the base model Surface Go.

you can get the 8GB model with a typecover and the pencil for the same ammount as only the base model Ipad Pro 11".

at the pricepoint that the iPad is at, you are going up against the Surface Pro line. that is what Apple is up against, they are the closest competitors and it is what Apple is putting it up against. they are marketing it as an 2 in 1 laptop (at least as far as i noticed)

Agreed.

For the current pricing and performance model, the iPad Pro is clearly marketed directly against the Surface Pro.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Galaxy S9+ - XPS 13 (9343 UHD+) - Samsung Note Tab 7.0 - Lenovo Y580

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Been thinking about the iPad Pro. 

Can you do audio through the Smart Connector? If so, maybe there'll be a keyboard case by someone like Logitech that has the jack and DAC included in the actual keyboard? 

It shouldn't be necessary, but it's a thought that came inside my head. Still think there's no excuse to why they omitted it. 

24 minutes ago, ElZamo92 said:

Alas, as much as I like it I already have a really good iPad Pro, so I’m skipping this one. 

I'm still rocking a 2015 12.9" and it performs really well still. 

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

11 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I'll be more specific, dual core i5 and i7.

that's just naming scheme. if intel rebranded the exact same chip to i3 it would be ok?

Pansexual | Apple Fanboy | Linux Wizard | IT Student | MLP Fan

JUST BE YOURSELF

Gaming Rig: Phenom X4 955 @ 3.5 ghz | GTX 690 | GTX 1050 | 12GB RAM | 250GB + 500GB SSD | 850W PSU | Windows

Laptop: MacBook Pro | I5 3210M | HD4000 | 1TB SSD | 16GB RAM | macOS

Phone: iPhone 7 | 128GB | iOS

2 hours ago, avg123 said:

What is the geekbench score of the a12x compared to a i7 8700k?

irrelevant. geekbench is a horrible benchmark to use to compare mobile and desktop processors, they serve different functions and act differently depending on load.

it's like putting a family sedan up against a dragster in a winding city and who ever gets to the finish line first wins. yes the dragster is faster but it doesn't really have the ability to turn corners like a regular car can. so therefore the sedan is faster than the dragster. that's why geekbench doesn't work.

16 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The price of all Macs are just a little insulting. 

The Air is the perfect college laptop, 13hour battery life, thin, light, great display, and now it comes with all the modern Mac features. It did what it needed to do.

Should the price be lower? Yes, does that stop Apple from selling Macs? No. 

Don't know what budget you consider the average college student to have for a laptop but I can inform you that it is not $1200. 

the real question is: do I lack enough sense to just buy the 11" iPad just to play Mobius ff on a bigger when on the go...

Spoiler

Probably.

Which is funny considering how much I'm currently hating the game, never spent a dime on it (cause at SE 20€ for 6 random cards is reasonable) and yet it's the only thing I use my phone for when not listening to music.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

so now there will be macbook pro i9's with vega gpu's. That will be fun to see 😂

i wouldn't be surprised if the gpu's are gonna perform the same as the old one's just because thermals. 

Pansexual | Apple Fanboy | Linux Wizard | IT Student | MLP Fan

JUST BE YOURSELF

Gaming Rig: Phenom X4 955 @ 3.5 ghz | GTX 690 | GTX 1050 | 12GB RAM | 250GB + 500GB SSD | 850W PSU | Windows

Laptop: MacBook Pro | I5 3210M | HD4000 | 1TB SSD | 16GB RAM | macOS

Phone: iPhone 7 | 128GB | iOS

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

that's just naming scheme. if intel rebranded the exact same chip to i3 it would be ok?

Well the i3 would have slightly more cache+turbo, so yes.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

18 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

$100

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 9.00.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 9.00.36 AM.png

Seems like Apple is replacing the non-TouchBar version of their 2016-2017 MacBook Pros with the new MacBook Air. To be honest, this is a very natural progression to their products, as the nTB MBP could have been called the new MBA from the beginning. If you look closely, it is essentially the same product. The only thing that has changed is the the (even more) low-power processor in the new MBA, which should give a somewhat longer battery life despite a thinner and lighter chassis (only lighter by 120g though) and, hence, a smaller battery.

Oh... And they finally bundled Touch ID without the stupid TouchBar. I wish they could have done it two years ago, but then there would have be even fewer reasons to buy a 13" TouchBar versions of the MBPs...

It is only a shame that Apple is sticking with TouchBar's on their Pro line-up, but not the Air or the 12" MacBook. I am afraid there will be even less incentive for software developers to continue TouchBar integration on MacOS, which really doesn't help support the legitimacy of the TouchBar, which is already commonly regarded as a gimmick.

...also the new iPad Pro looks sick. I really see no good alternatives from competitors any time soon for people who just want a tablet experience.

Only the newer iPads and Mac Mini make some sense, in terms of what they offer for the value.

That newer MacBook Air, ah, it's more of a mischief than a laptop.

Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

For the people that's interested in the new iPad Pro, does the fact that the new USB-C port is USB 3.1 Gen. 2 instead of Thunderbolt 3 mean much to you? Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/30/18040208/apple-ipad-pro-hands-on-screen-features-pencil-usb-c-photos-2018

Asking this since I'm also interested in the iPad Pro.

As far as I know, Thunderbolt doesn’t work on ARM. Any Intel chips that Apple could have used in the iPad to make it x86 capable would perform like complete balls. 

So the iPad can still do everything in the USB-C like output to a 5K display, it just lacks the throughput and PCIe.  

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
Posted · Original PosterOP

Apple has apparently showed off the Mac Minis thermal solution 4EB312D2-4105-4D44-A706-660303DC4CC5.jpeg.3b79e61e1fad9988a6feeedd76341b74.jpeg

Shoild hopefully be enough to keep the 6core processor options cool, especially without a dGPU inside. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

4EB312D2-4105-4D44-A706-660303DC4CC5.jpeg.3b79e61e1fad9988a6feeedd76341b74.jpeg

Cool Story

C O O L

S T O R Y

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5