FAST 12TB Steam Drive for CHEAP!!

Anyone feel like this video should've been classed into the SHIT category?

Makes more sense since Linus does do videos like that. Haven't seen one for a while but this definitely meet the requirements.

38 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Where on this great big blue planet is everyone getting $500 from? The 32GB unit shown in this video is only $50-60...

That seems rather low... Esp if UK only holds 7-10%.

Are you factoring in the 12TB HDD as well? If not, then you're not comparing apples to apples, because you'd have a 0TB Steam Drive since Optane modules cannot be used as standalone storage drives.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

43 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

That seems rather low... Esp if UK only holds 7-10%.

Typically it's something like:

US: 30-40%

EU: 20-30%

Asia: 10%

UK: 7-10%

Aus/NZ: 5%

Canada: 5%

Obviously varies by month. For a country with ~325M people, the US makes up a HUGE chunk of our global audience (global population ~7.6B, ~6.2B if you remove China which is served by other video platforms).

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

Are you factoring in the 12TB HDD as well? If not, then you're not comparing apples to apples, because you'd have a 0TB Steam Drive since Optane modules cannot be used as standalone storage drives.

I'm not... I'm assuming you'd be smart enough to not buy a 12TB for just gaming and use of other stuff... For most people 2TB is far more than enough. 4TB if you're paranoid.

4 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Far cheaper than a large capacity SSD :) 

a 240 or even a 480 SSD paired with a few barracudas/wd black performs better

not saying optane is crap, it's just not for ppl with SSDs

imo

rleaR3e.png?1

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I have an Optane module and just updated my RST Drivers, but it says my non-Boot HDD is not compatible? What drivers do I need or how do I set this up to accelerate my non-boot HDD?

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Where on this great big blue planet is everyone getting $500 from? The 32GB unit shown in this video is only $50-60...

think he's on about the intel cpu and mobo  required to support it

3 hours ago, nicklmg said:

US: 30-40%

Canada is always 1/10'th of our southern neighborly covfefe

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Canada is always 1/10'th of our southern neighborly covfefe

Ummm how the hell did you pull this off?

image.png.0455efd3837f938a3b0c520d34b14d0f.png

image.png.a19689550be3be4ea1f5e489063867c9.png

Only Linus can break stuff here :P I've yet to break the forum here like I've been able to do with other version of this software... (no I don't try, it just loves breaking on me)

7 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Haven't you already done like 2 or 3 videos about Optane?

Yes, yes they have.

1) Intel Optane Exclusive Hands On - SSD Crushing Performance, Published 27 Mar 2017

2) Turbocharge your SSD for $40??, Published on 24 Apr 2017

3) Save Money on RAM.. with Optane??, Published on 17 May 2018

Other Videos (using other types of Optane)

4) The fastest SSD for gaming, and one big problem, Published on 24 Jan 2018

5) Why Did Intel Even Make This? – Optane 800P SSD, Published on 11 Mar 2018

So, StoreMI video next?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

13 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Optane is still a massive disappointment because of the requirement of a new CPU+ Motherboard combo. Would be much better if it were compatible with older hardware, but i understand why they couldnt do it.

Is there a technical reason Optane only works with these specs, or is Intel simply trying to push for more sales? Because as near as I can tell, Optane is ram with a memory through re-boots, and ought to be CPU agnostic.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

12 hours ago, poochyena said:

3:05

"We picked games that would be impractical to store on a dedicated SSD"
>shows ~300GB worth of games
uhh, having a ~500GB ssd is impractical? An SSD that size only costs a little over $100. I have 250GB of games on my primary/only 480GB SSD.

Plus, I actually re-purposed my old boot drive solely for GTA:Online.(Check my sig) I guess I'm one of the #ballers that Linus talked about.

I still store the rest of my games on a mechanical disk and have honestly never sat there and got annoyed about loading times.  

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

6 hours ago, Streetguru said:

So, StoreMI video next?

Nick posted on the first page that a StoreMI video is planned so they are working on it :)

They haven't had time yet to do all the testing but at least we know they are planning to do something with it.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Nick posted on the first page that a StoreMI video is planned so they are working on it :)

They haven't had time yet to do all the testing but at least we know they are planning to do something with it.

Going by wendell's video optane actually works better using StoreMI

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

14 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I have 2 serious questions about this video... Why 12 TB and is it "worth" the price?

I own over 800 registered games and I'm only on my 2nd 2TB drive, GTA:O does take longer due to the 64mb cache, and sure I could offset it by throwing it onto my RAM or buying a cheap dedicated SSD, but for the hassle for the 1-2 minute in savings...

image.png.91c28121f67625daae4ff3a03ef9bed0.png (recent is mostly fresh installed, not actually played)

For a new build I would gladly throw it in since it is only gen 8 and fairly cheap,and if I am replacing both of my steam drives (unless it works on multiple units) to a new one, but if the system is already built (with all the requirements) I would seriously pass on it. Because the load times would take (based on the 4 seconds in GTA:O) get this 3,000 loading screens that benefited from the 4 second gain based on $15/h after tax, assuming you'd play and load GTA:O once a day with 5 loading screens per day it would still take almost 2 years to repay back the time wasted... If you make less than $15 after tax it will take even longer to pay off in time saved.

So new build? Yes. Old build? (with the requirements) Don't waste your money as unless Linus can prove it improves actual gameplay and not just loading it's simply not worth it.

That's why they used #outofideas, my guess Intel is seeing this as a good marketing strategy and I don't mind them either.

I would assume yes due to it being optane, but not by much.

But are those mostly old/2D games?

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

You can replicate this via software for 30$ with primo-cache or MaxVeloSSD without the hardware lock-in/requirements.

I tested both specifically for my steam HDD and after the data is read once from the hdd the speeds are similar to native SSD speeds. I found MaxVeloSSD a bit less user friendly, but speed wise its similar to primo-cache. I ended up using primo-cache with a 32-64GB cache partition (64k block size) from my 256GB SSD for the steam HDD and this works really well.

15 hours ago, nicklmg said:

We plan on checking out StoreMI (and another option AFAIK) in an upcoming video.

Will this include hardware agnostic software solution's like the 2 i mentioned?

1 hour ago, King_of_Oz said:

But are those mostly old/2D games?

Yes/No

According to TreeSize

ETS2 Mods takes about 19GB (not including steam workshop)

Steam workshop takes 13GB

8GB downloading (mostly updates)

Top 40 games based on folders consume about 750GB, anything over 2GB consumes about 1.5TB, sadly it doesn't count folders.

image.png.dde86880eddebd06967e1ead44006062.png

For most people with steam/Origin accounts 2TB is plenty. If you play more than 40 different games and never uninstall them you'll eventually need to get 4TB. I still see no point in running out wasting money on a 12TB drive, Linus only did it because 8TB was so 2 years ago.

But can I get the same effect running things like after effects, photoshop, etc.? 

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

12 minutes ago, reptileexperts said:

But can I get the same effect running things like after effects, photoshop, etc.? 

Hard to tell, since those programs tend to create huge temp files that constantly change, so write caching would also play a role.

So it comes down to specific workloads and tasks. You would have to test this and compare speeds under real world conditions. Primo-cache has a trial you could try, which should behave similar to optane and should be a good indicator, assuming you use a somewhat decent SSD as cache.

16 hours ago, aezakmi said:

a 240 or even a 480 SSD paired with a few barracudas/wd black performs better

not saying optane is crap, it's just not for ppl with SSDs

imo

rleaR3e.png?1

Oh yeah for sure - I wouldn't tell anyone to throw away their SSD & replace it with an Optane setup. But, when you're speccing out a new build, if you can build it into the budget (for a data drive) and it makes more sense than an SSD price-wise, it's certainly worth looking at.

4 hours ago, reptileexperts said:

Depends on the work you're doing I think... we looked into using it for Premiere but found that it wasn't especially effective as we're working with singular huge files, while Optane is meant to accelerate the performance of programs where it can cache portions of it that it needs to access time and time again.

How does it compare with SSD (or NVME) + HDD intel raid acceleration?  Intel supports it (SSD for sure) on my 6th Gen motherboard.  Obviously optane is more durable but performance wise I mean.

7 hours ago, Andy22 said:

Hard to tell, since those programs tend to create huge temp files that constantly change, so write caching would also play a role.

So it comes down to specific workloads and tasks. You would have to test this and compare speeds under real world conditions. Primo-cache has a trial you could try, which should behave similar to optane and should be a good indicator, assuming you use a somewhat decent SSD as cache.

I have a 960 pro as my cache currently xD but if I can get away from that to use it for other tasks, that would be ideal

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

On 6/13/2018 at 1:27 PM, skaracoban said:

Is there a difference between doing this and just using an sshd?

sshd caching isn't intelligent,and the cache tends to be laughably small, like 8GB.  basically the solution for grandma loading internet explorer and word over and over again.