Sony (PS4) are blocking users from playing with the Nintendo Switch for Fortnite

ItsMitch

S: https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/12/17453978/this-fortnite-account-is-associated-with-a-platform-which-does-not-allow-it-to-operate-on-switch

Sony is in the news for pissing off a lot of it's Fortnite users as it's now blocking PS4 Fortnite account owners from playing on the Nintendo Switch platform. Users took to Twitter to vent outage over Twitter and demanding Sony fix this immediately or they'll leave the platform to its competitor, Microsoft's Xbox One. People are fearing that this is because of the PS4's obvious dominance in the console industry and others just think it's fucking disgusting to block accounts over it.

Fortnite launched on the Nintendo Switch today, and that version of the game can play against folks on the Xbox One, PC, Mac and mobile. The problem is that using a Fortnite account that has been used on the PlayStation 4 will keep you from using that account on the Switch, and an account that has been used on the Switch can’t be played on the PlayStation 4.

If you’ve played on PS4, the Switch version will give you the following error message: “This Fortnite account is associated with a platform which does not allow it to operate on Switch.”

If you’ve played on Switch, the PS4 version will give you this error message: “The Epic Account you tried to link can not play on this platform.”

This is an unprecedented limitation in an industry that’s only becoming more open, and a decision that’s actively hostile to players.

This is the error message we received when we tried to connect an Epic Games account to the Switch that has also been played on the PlayStation 4:

Resolution? Make a new account and don't link it with your PS4. Customer Services can't lift the block which'll mean you'll lose all of your items, progression, etc. If you attempt to unlink your account, it WILL NOT resolve this block.

Pac_Man_Screen_Shot_6_12_18__1.14_PM.png

Error messages users are getting. 

tl;dr Sony are being massive cunts to players because they're played on PS4 and are blocking users from accessing the Switch variant. 

Really? I'm surprised they haven't done this on Xbox too.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Nintendo is probably salty with Sony for something. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Really? I'm surprised they haven't done this on Xbox too.

Microsoft don't really wanna piss of their fans at this point, especially during E3 and I'm fairly sure they have a good business relationship with Epic and Tencent (Epic's owners) 

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

"They" meaning Microsoft?

Oh, sorry. I did not mean to quote you. "They" meaning Nintendo. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

Microsoft don't really wanna piss of their fans at this point, especially during E3 and I'm fairly sure they have a good business relationship with Epic and Tencent (Epic's owners) 

I was referring to Sony blocking players from playing on both PS4 and Xbox.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just further proof that sony cant into customer service, yet people still buy it

Are there performance issues with Fortnite on the Switch? If so, I don't really find it all too surprising. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Are there performance issues with Fortnite on the Switch? If so, I don't really find it all too surprising. 

Haven't seen any reported, runs at stable FPS, servers are fine too. 

Why haven't they done this for other consoles tho? Like why not block accounts from xbox too? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Why haven't they done this for other consoles tho? Like why not block accounts from xbox too? 

Microsoft is happy to support cross-platform play; Sony forbids it.

Given the history between the two, it doesn't even remotely surprise me.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Microsoft grants cross platform, Sony? Nah 

4 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Microsoft is happy to support cross-platform play; Sony forbids it.

yah so WHY havent Sony blocked accounts from other platforms then?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Actually, it looks like they did -- a friend with a Switch-linked account couldn't sign into the game for PS4.

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Nintendo fucked Sony over in the 90's.

The PS1 was originally a CD reader and 32bit subsystem for a then planned Nintendo console. Nintendo ditched Sony for Phillips, and wouldn't compensate Sony for their share of the R&D.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Microsoft grants cross platform, Sony? Nah 

yah so why can you play with an xbox acc on the PS4 and a PS4 acc on Xbox then? why not block that too?

Just now, Drak3 said:

Nintendo fucked Sony over in the 90's.

The PS1 was originally a CD reader and 32bit subsystem for a then planned Nintendo console. Nintendo ditched Sony for Phillips, and wouldn't compensate Sony for their share of the R&D.

true, could be a payback thing

3 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Actually, it looks like they did -- a friend with a Switch-linked account couldn't sign into the game for PS4.

thats exactly what the article says, thats nothing new. i was wondering why Sony hadent blocked Xbox accounts from playing on the PS4 aswell

Builds:

Spoiler

Sony's not going to bend unless it starts affecting their bottom line. They would prefer people playing on a ps4. They do this for all of their crossplay titles. They want to ride their dominance until the end.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Sony and nintendo don't have a great relationship business wise past and present, This isn't at all shocking.   it sucks cause it rolls over on the fans but... yeah

I thought there was a thing with Minecraft that started the whole cross play issues between PS4 and Switch.

wait, who is to blame Nintendo or Sony? are we sure about this?

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

Just now, IAnthonyFX said:

wait, who is to blame Nintendo or Sony? are we sure about this?

Sony, PS4 accounts are unable to play on Switch. This started with them initially and yes, it was confirmed by multiple users. 

2 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Sony, PS4 accounts are unable to play on Switch. This started with them initially and yes, it was confirmed by multiple users. 

I understand that, but is it Nintendo not allowing accounts linked to PS to be used, or Sony not allowing linked accounts to be played with a Switch.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL