R9 290 vs GTX 780 - discussion thread

Alright it's finally here. The stunning conclusion of our R9 290 vs GTX 780 showdown. We used a couple of our most taxing games to validate our overclocks, so if they run in these ones, they'll be good to go in others. We hit a hard wall with both cards where if we increase voltage, clock speed, or power limit any further we were not stable, so this is about the best we can do, but as always, YMMV. Here's the link to our latest GPU clock speed spreadsheet. I'm going to email Luke right now to find out why the water cooled clocks aren't on it yet... But they'll be there soon if they aren't already :P

Graphics Cards

R9 290: NCIX, Amazon

GTX 780: NCIX, Amazon

Koolance Gear

R9 290 Block: Koolance

GTX 780 Block: Koolance

Quick Disconnect Fittings: Koolance

Tube Reservoirs: Koolance

DDC Pump Top: Koolance

Can you base the same results for the r9 290x and the gtx780ti or are you going to make another video for it?

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

You might want to list it :) cuz it's unlisted atm.

Videos almost always come up a bit early on the forum in unlisted mode. That means I'm working on all the annotations and cross links and whatnot.

My opinion is that 290 might give more perfomanse(icl.Mantle), but 780 will give better effiency, PhysX, better 3D, Cuda, G-sync geforce experience and Shadowplay.

AMD's Mantle and true audio just aint that great, but 290 is way cheaper than 780, so it is all about personal preference. :) (I am NOT a fanboy of any side)

I sold my 290 (after RMA), because i wanted physX, Batman archam origins looks better on my gtx 650 than 290, because physX effects are so impressive. (Same goes to MetroLL and to Borderlands 2)

Luke will update the doc when he gets a chance, but we cranked both cards in every way we could get our greasy little paws on.

Videos almost always come up a bit early on the forum in unlisted mode. That means I'm working on all the annotations and cross links and whatnot.

Ha, we're special. Can you do me a favour, when I inevitably post something on this video, can you... Not reply to it good lord

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

great vid linus, I laughed when at the start really long spiky hair then BOOM it disappeared lol.

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Damn, I really was expecting R9 290 to really just dominate, that didn't happen. With prices on par with 780, obviously 780 is the better buy, but when it drops back to $399, then it'll be much more justifiable and take back its place as the best price/performance card. 780 was simply too good though, what a machine. 

I wonder if the extra Stream processors of the 290X will stretch that respective cards' legs out more and hopefully it is a better overclocker under water and aftermarket air. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

OMG guyz linux replied 2 my communt. 

please tell me you know this comment is a joke

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

im supprised about the 780. 

i honestly was beliveing the "wait till they watercool the 290" hype

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I was expecting much more performance increase, but it really solved the noise and heat issue. Btw in the first part of the video your hair was horrendous , luckily it magically changed

My opinion is that 290 might give more perfomanse(icl.Mantle), but 780 will give better effiency, PhysX, better 3D, Cuda, G-sync geforce experience and Shadowplay.

AMD's Mantle and true audio just aint that great, but 290 is way cheaper than 780, so it is all about personal preference. :) (I am NOT a fanboy of any side)

I sold my 290 (after RMA), because i wanted physX, Batman archam origins looks better on my gtx 650 than 290, because physX effects are so impressive. (Same goes to MetroLL and to Borderlands 2)

not if they keep raising prices :( 290's so expensive compared to what they should be :( reference models like 499.99-530 :( I wanted my friend to get one but they gwas'd the prices so I told him to get a 780 instead :3

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

not if they keep raising prices :( 290's so expensive compared to what they should be :( reference models like 499.99-530 :( I wanted my friend to get one but they gwas'd the prices so I told him to get a 780 instead :3

In Finland prices are still 399 to 449.

Well this is going to rustle the jimmies of the '290 gonna overclock like mad on water yo' gang

Well this is going to rustle the jimmies of the '290 gonna overclock like mad on water yo' gang

Got higher clocks on mine under air. Linus/Luke didn't touch the core voltage, I needed less than 100mV to get 1206mhz core stable. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

You do get slightly less performance for the same price,but you can mine coins on the 290 which is a big valueadd.

My 780 clocks higher on air than yours does on water  :P

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

HAH DUAL FANBOY!

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

no extra juice on core voltage? (BIOS Flash)

come on Linus it's Water Cooling, not your average reference air cooling

it seems no over demand in my country regarding the GPU mining 

I guess that the R9 290 was not quite as thermal limited as we thought based on the fact that when both cards are on water, they scale pretty equally.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

His card was a terrible overclocker.  His GTX 780 hit 1250/1650 while his r9-290 barely hit 1150/1450.  His GTX 780 was a topic notch OCer while his R9-290 was a dud.  

780 still has PhysX, Better 3D, CUDA, Shadowplay, and what does AMD Have ? Not even Mantel, Yet. True Audio ? Woot ? I can listen to music and game at the same time just fine with my GTX 560. lol

Can't wait to upgrade to a whole new rig hopefully I get access to that soon, Will get a 780 and I'll stick with it for years to come.