README: How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation

If this hasn't solved the porblem, check if your PSU isn't dead. To do this, you can follow these steps:
  1. Unplug your power cord and/or flip the switch on the back of the PSU in the position denoted with OFF or 0
  2. Unplug every connector coming from your PSU (this is very important)
  3. Using a bent paperclip, short out the green wire on the 24 pin header with any of the black wires, like so.
  4. Plug in your power cord and/or flip the switch on the back of the PSU in the position denoted with ON or I

If the PSU does NOT power on (the fan should start spinning) after following these steps, your PSU is in all likelyhood defective. Request an RMA.

If the PSU DOES power on, then the problem is most likely your motherboard.

Very nice check list well done and can see this helping.

But some PSUs won't power on under no load. and some PSUs in more recent time does not spin the fan if they are under a certain load. I would also try to test with a very light load: a ODD, dead HDD, fans or any other item that will ether indicate that you PSU supply’s power if the fan doesn't spin under light load. or will put a load on the PSU so it can power on.

Very nice check list well done and can see this helping.

But some PSUs won't power on under no load. and some PSUs in more recent time does not spin the fan if they are under a certain load. I would also try to test with a very light load: a ODD, dead HDD, fans or any other item that will ether indicate that you PSU supply’s power if the fan doesn't spin under light load. or will put a load on the PSU so it can power on.

Every PSU will power on without a load. Some PSUs need a load of a couple of watt before their output falls within specification though. The point about the fan spinning is very valid, though. Fixing now. Fixed.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Every PSU will power on without a load. Some PSUs need a load of a couple of watt before their output falls within specification though. The point about the fan spinning is very valid, though. Fixing now. Fixed.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Well there is always +5V standby (purple) :)

I does however own one PSU that only spins the fan for one second when under no load (could easy be missed when trouble shooting) But since that i don't think many new system builders are going to use a 1998 Compaq 145W PSU then i agree with you that is probably not a issue :D

@Windspeed36 could you make this sticky or merge it with the sticky post (or would you rather if I merged it into the post on there?) to help out more people.

HTTP/2 203

• 3 months later...

This helped me out, thanks! :D

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, this will be very helpful in my upcoming build.

Intel Core i7 4770k | MSI Z87 | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz  Kingston HyperX | GeForce GTX 780 | Fractal Design Define R4 | 1TB WD Blue | CX600 | Corsair H100i

So, you've put together your brand new, shining rig. You plug in the power cord and push the button. Nothing happens. What now? The answer depends on what is happening:

The machine doesn't do anything. No beeps, LEDs or spinning fans.

1. Check if your power cable is firmly plugged in on both ends (you would be surprised how many issues this resolves)
  2. Check if the power supply (PSU) has a button to cut the power to the machine. Check if this button is in the position denoted with ON or I
  3. Check if EVERY power cable is plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  4. Check if the power button is installed correctly (consult your motherboard manual)
  5. Try shorting out the pins you connect the power button to manually. If this powers on your system, you have a faulty power button.
  6. Check with a device of which you know that it works if the power outlet you're using is actually providing power.

If this hasn't solved the porblem, check if your PSU isn't dead. To do this, you can follow these steps:

1. Unplug your power cord and/or flip the switch on the back of the PSU in the position denoted with OFF or 0
  3. Using a bent paperclip, short out the green wire on the 24 pin header with any of the black wires, like so.
  4. If you have a PSU that shuts down its fan under low load, or a PSU that is fanless, connect something small like a hard drive to it.
  5. Plug in your power cord and/or flip the switch on the back of the PSU in the position denoted with ON or I

If the PSU does NOT power on (the fan/hard drive you connected should start spinning) after following these steps, your PSU is in all likelyhood defective. Request an RMA.

The machine does power up, but my screen remains black (no POST).

1. Make sure the cable coming from your monitor is attached securely to the graphics card. Also make sure it is securely attached to the monitor itself.
  2. Make sure your monitor works by testing it on a different computer.
  3. If you have both a dedicated GPU and an iGPU, try your monitor on both the outputs on the graphics cards as well as on the motherboard.
  4. Make sure all connectors and cables are plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  5. Make sure your RAM, CPU and GPU are plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  6. If the motherboard you're using has debug LEDs, check the error code and consult the motherboard manual to see what it means.
  7. If you have a debug speaker connected to the motherboard, note the beep sequence and consult the motherboard manual or this thread to see what it means.
  8. Try clearing you CMOS.
  9. Try booting your computer with only a motherboard, CPU and one stick of RAM attached (if you don't have an iGPU, plug in your GPU as well ;) ).
  10. Make sure your GPU works (if you have a dedicated one), try it in another computer.
  11. Make sure your RAM works, try it another computer.
  12. Make sure the RAM is compatible with your CPU and your motherboard.

If the PC still doesn't POST after this, create a new thread and, as explained here, post IN FULL DETAIL about your problem. Make sure you include the following:

1. System configuration
  2. Troubleshooting steps you already did
  3. Any additional information that may be relevant.

Lastly, if you find any mistakes/grammatical errors, inaccuracies or missing steps in this post, please do post them in a comment so I can fix it.

I don't think this is in here, but also make sure your PSU has the horsepower to support all the hardware in the machine. It also be a good try to reset the CMOS via the CMOS jumper on your motherboard. If you're not sure how to do this, Google "CMOS jumper" and you should find out how. 

Intel Core i7-6700K @4.6GHz • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 FE @ 1683MHz •  16GB DDR4 @3200MHz

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/QuintonAjStevens/

I don't think this is in here, but also make sure your PSU has the horsepower to support all the hardware in the machine. It also be a good try to reset the CMOS via the CMOS jumper on your motherboard. If you're not sure how to do this, Google "CMOS jumper" and you should find out how. 

1. During POST every power hungry component in your system is basically idling, so I don't think would be an issue in any system...
  2. How could I forget Clear CMOS? Thanks! Added!

EDIT: clear CMOS was already in the list ;)

1. During POST every power hungry component in your system is basically idling, so I don't think would be an issue in any system...
  2. How could I forget Clear CMOS? Thanks! Added!

EDIT: clear CMOS was already in the list ;)

At the start, all components go to maximum power, don't they? That's what I read in my college textbook last year when I took a computer engineering course. They all start up to max power just for a few seconds then almost instantly go to idle. 

Intel Core i7-6700K @4.6GHz • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 FE @ 1683MHz •  16GB DDR4 @3200MHz

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/QuintonAjStevens/

This will help a lot of people

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

At the start, all components go to maximum power, don't they? That's what I read in my college textbook last year when I took a computer engineering course. They all start up to max power just for a few seconds then almost instantly go to idle. 

Could be that I am mistaking myself. Added "make sure your PSU is powerful enough to power your complete system".

• 2 months later...

So, you've put together your brand new, shining rig. You plug in the power cord and push the button. Nothing happens. What now? The answer depends on what is happening:

The machine doesn't do anything. No beeps, LEDs or spinning fans.

1. Check if your power cable is firmly plugged in on both ends (you would be surprised how many issues this resolves)
  2. Check if the power supply (PSU) has a button to cut the power to the machine. Check if this button is in the position denoted with ON or I
  3. Check if EVERY power cable is plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  4. Check if the power button is installed correctly (consult your motherboard manual)
  5. Try shorting out the pins you connect the power button to manually. If this powers on your system, you have a faulty power button.
  6. Check with a device of which you know that it works if the power outlet you're using is actually providing power.

4. If you have a PSU that shuts down its fan under low load, or a PSU that is fanless, connect something small like a hard drive to it.
  5. Plug in your power cord and/or flip the switch on the back of the PSU in the position denoted with ON or I

If the PSU does NOT power on (the fan/hard drive you connected should start spinning) after following these steps, your PSU is in all likelyhood defective. Request an RMA.

The machine does power up, but my screen remains black (no POST).

1. Make sure the cable coming from your monitor is attached securely to the graphics card. Also make sure it is securely attached to the monitor itself.
  2. Make sure your PSU is powerful enough to power your complete system.
  3. Make sure your monitor works by testing it on a different computer.
  4. If you have both a dedicated GPU and an iGPU, try your monitor on both the outputs on the graphics cards as well as on the motherboard.
  5. Make sure all connectors and cables are plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  6. Make sure your RAM, CPU and GPU are plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  7. If the motherboard you're using has debug LEDs, check the error code and consult the motherboard manual to see what it means.
  8. If you have a debug speaker connected to the motherboard, note the beep sequence and consult the motherboard manual or this thread to see what it means.
  9. Try clearing your CMOS.
  10. Try booting your computer with only a motherboard, CPU and one stick of RAM attached (if you don't have an iGPU, plug in your GPU as well ;) ).
  11. Make sure your GPU works (if you have a dedicated one), try it in another computer.
  12. Make sure your RAM works, try it another computer.
  13. Make sure the RAM is compatible with your CPU and your motherboard.

If the PC still doesn't POST after this, create a new thread and, as explained here, post IN FULL DETAIL about your problem. Make sure you include the following:

1. System configuration
  2. Troubleshooting steps you already did
  3. Any additional information that may be relevant.

Lastly, if you find any mistakes/grammatical errors, inaccuracies or missing steps in this post, please do post them in a comment so I can fix it.

Just had this happening to me and after everything failed unplugging the VGA-cable fixed it. What was wrong? a grounding issue with the monitor...

• 2 weeks later...

if i may add something to this post. i've had a similar problem of no POST when i recently built my new rig. the problem when identified was that i had stupidly forgotten to plug in the 8 pin connector from the PSU to the motherboard. Note- Not all motherboards require the said 8 pin connector as my old one didn't.

if i may add something to this post. i've had a similar problem of no POST when i recently built my new rig. the problem when identified was that i had stupidly forgotten to plug in the 8 pin connector from the PSU to the motherboard. Note- Not all motherboards require the said 8 pin connector as my old one didn't.

Edited it in. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
<helpful tips>

Thanks! Fixed!

1. Make sure your BIOS version is compatible with the CPU generation you're trying to run in your motherboard, you can consult the manual or the manufacturer's website about this.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, i just panicked after switching to a new case, but simply removing everything and plugging it back in solved it :)

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

¼ - Cry real tears.

½ - Panic

¾ - Blame everyone else and kick the cat[1] (then 1~ etc).

[1] This does not need to be yours just any that is hanging around

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...