Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

On 5/26/2020 at 8:26 PM, Adorable Cat said:

This is my Tandy TRS 80 model 1, I'm fairly certain it works but the power supply (a separate unit) is broken

that keyboard looks tasty!

44 minutes ago, Bitter said:

What is that? I didn't realize I was watching LGR Oddware.

ah, you`ve seen the LGR video on Thermaltake Circlefire i see . .more or less the same thing ,except instead of a centre speaker , theres a hdd meter . old skool pc modding /upgrades . 😅

29 minutes ago, Rarity said:

ah, you`ve seen the LGR video on Thermaltake Circlefire i see . .more or less the same thing ,except instead of a centre speaker , theres a hdd meter . old skool pc modding /upgrades . 😅

You seen the second version? used a freaking tube amp. Looks really good, actually.

as i was am going throught the store room cleaning up stuff . found a 9700 atlantis by Sapphire , 512mb of RD-ram , a creative soundcard , and finally a Pentium3 and a s478 p4 (in a gshock watch case . lol )

20200529_152128.jpg

20200529_152131.jpg

20200529_152257.jpg

On 5/29/2020 at 3:32 AM, Rarity said:

as i was am going throught the store room cleaning up stuff . found a 9700 atlantis by Sapphire , 512mb of RD-ram , a creative soundcard , and finally a Pentium3 and a s478 p4 (in a gshock watch case . lol )

20200529_152128.jpg

I know not to quote pics but clean that keyboard

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

40 minutes ago, Cloaked said:

Acer Aspire (Soon to accommodate a whole new system!)

image.jpg

omg look it's a Ryzen!

image.thumb.jpg.9aea06cd77d1583fadf6f069efd0e48b.jpg

some old phones 

I used to use that black berry as my MP3 player until the touchscreen stopped working so I need to get a new touchscreen 

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

17 hours ago, Bitter said:

omg look it's a Ryzen!

I'm going to be using a Ryzen chip in it, but the CPU in the photo is an AMD Athlon 64 x2

3 hours ago, Cloaked said:

I'm going to be using a Ryzen chip in it, but the CPU in the photo is an AMD Athlon 64 x2

Yeah, just cracking a joke about PGA sockets being the new hotness all over again.

I’ll play. Dell Dimension XPS R450 bought new in August 1998. Still rocking Windows 98, and still booted as of last June. I think it has a Creative GeForce video card, Monster sound card, and a card for my dial-up modem. 

Cable management circa 1998.

8CE121D9-B092-476F-838E-A6108F817CE3.jpeg

72A6FCE1-439A-4704-A29C-81223018851D.jpeg

On 5/31/2020 at 3:30 PM, Schnoz said:

Aww man, the only things I have are on emulators. Desmume doesn't work at full speed for some reason.

yeah emulators kinda don't feel the same

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Those Dell Dimensions are pretty nice, especially that setup you have! I don't see many with zip drives either much less good video and sound cards.

I have one myself, a P3 and a p2 XPS as well.

Out of curiosity, are there any machines from the tech hoarders video that anyone wants a closer look at?

20 minutes ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Those Dell Dimensions are pretty nice, especially that setup you have! I don't see many with zip drives either much less good video and sound cards.

I have one myself, a P3 and a p2 XPS as well.

Out of curiosity, are there any machines from the tech hoarders video that anyone wants a closer look at?

I still have all the old games I used to play on it. Mostly CDs, some floppies. I tried without success to install one of those old ones on a new Win10 machine, so I've thought about trying to clean up the Dell and install my old favorites on it. Make it a vintage gamer for my kids. 

27 minutes ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

ok.thumb.PNG.582a3a273a5a76c4874f70ae1a9fcf22.PNG

1325376405_ohno.PNG.789f74598828eb772e435855d4af4ecc.PNGwe.PNG.549309ce8953ee7f366c44c99f45c181.PNG

first of all how many of these do you have

second I don't care what linus says these are awesome

I use one of these as a daily machine

image.thumb.jpg.af9adb4fb38191b8617ec6bb86bee831.jpg.17f8ac79509763d6cb8b174ec9bc959d.jpg

Should be first pc in signature

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

34 minutes ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

amps.thumb.PNG.6ecc5f1e05c434725af9ec85739691ce.PNG

I am using a cassette deck as amp/spliter

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

9 hours ago, sub68 said:

first of all how many of these do you have

second I don't care what linus says these are awesome

I use one of these as a daily machine

Should be first pc in signature

Haha yes they are pretty good little systems. I was using them as media PC's connected to our tv's. I'll have to count how many but I'm sure at least 2, maybe as many as 4.

9 hours ago, sub68 said:

I am using a cassette deck as amp/spliter

The cd/cassette player I use to drive my headphones until I put an actual sound card in my rig as the onboard doesn't go very loud.

Edited by BrianTheElectrician
Removed pictures from quotes

9 hours ago, WSHuff said:

I still have all the old games I used to play on it. Mostly CDs, some floppies. I tried without success to install one of those old ones on a new Win10 machine, so I've thought about trying to clean up the Dell and install my old favorites on it. Make it a vintage gamer for my kids. 

That would be pretty cool but I bet you'd find yourself using it just as much if not more than your kids haha. It sucks that a lot of the old games don't work well on Windows 8 and 10 but I guess that's how it goes. That said though you might be able to find some or all of them on GOG and they seem to work well on Windows XP or newer. Not sure what they do to patch them but I'm not complaining. They remove the DRM as well so that's a bonus.

If you need a disc image for Windows 98/98SE check out winworldpc. They have tons of images for abandonware, all free and clean. It's my go-to for old OS images as well as some old games and office software.

8 hours ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

That would be pretty cool but I bet you'd find yourself using it just as much if not more than your kids haha. It sucks that a lot of the old games don't work well on Windows 8 and 10 but I guess that's how it goes. That said though you might be able to find some or all of them on GOG and they seem to work well on Windows XP or newer. Not sure what they do to patch them but I'm not complaining. They remove the DRM as well so that's a bonus.

If you need a disc image for Windows 98/98SE check out winworldpc. They have tons of images for abandonware, all free and clean. It's my go-to for old OS images as well as some old games and office software.

Remember the dreaded RUNTIME ERROR 200 way back when? Oh that foiled me greatly, I just wanted to play Tyrian, Jazz Jackrabbit, and Epic Pinball on my new Pentium 2!

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

Remember the dreaded RUNTIME ERROR 200 way back when? Oh that foiled me greatly, I just wanted to play Tyrian, Jazz Jackrabbit, and Epic Pinball on my new Pentium 2!

Actually, I honestly don't. I started using computers in 1995/1996 when my dad bought a pentium 100 that was running Windows 95. Even now though I don't run Dos or dos games on anything that would be fast enough to cause that error.

This reminds me, I still need to find the same model of board that that computer came with as the original was wrecked by a barrel battery before i was aware of the issues they could cause.

3 hours ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Actually, I honestly don't. I started using computers in 1995/1996 when my dad bought a pentium 100 that was running Windows 95. Even now though I don't run Dos or dos games on anything that would be fast enough to cause that error.

This reminds me, I still need to find the same model of board that that computer came with as the original was wrecked by a barrel battery before i was aware of the issues they could cause.

Lucky...

I started around the same time and with roughly the same hardware, we had an Acer Aspire that came with a 1GB hard drive (maybe it was smaller), 8MB RAM, and a 100mhz not an intel Pentium processors. I believe on board video was 1MB handled by a Cirrus Logic chip, there was a 14.4 modem, maybe had a separate sound card but I'm not sure. I think it had a couple ISA and maybe MAYBE one PCI slot. The computer came with the demo versions of the above Epic MegaGames titles, I ended up owning all 3 at one point or another and still play them from time to time, all have been ported or made playable on Windows 10 with modern hardware now which is awesome, because it means I wasn't the only one who enjoyed them even if no one else I knew had ever heard of them. Eventually we upgraded it to 40MB of RAM because 8 wasn't enough for MechWarrior 2 to run smoothly (and actually the onboard video wasn't really up to the task either, but more RAM is never a bad thing!)

Then my mom bought a Gateway 2000 Pentium 2 200mhz system and when I tried to play my favorite games on it, they wouldn't run, it went tooooo fast! And then the Acer got retired to an older family friend and we got a second hand PC from the bowels of the University of Chicago courtesy of my fathers friend. It had an AMD K6 (maybe K6-2) 266mhz CPU and SIMM or DIMM memory slots and this brown slot called AGP and way more PCI and ISA slots and Windows NT and somehow an AT power supply, it was a weird beast made of metal designed to withstand nuclear experiments or at least thick enough to be a Faraday cage to protect it from the high power MRI's they were using in their medical research. 

All of this spanned from about 1995 to around 2000, I think the Acer got donated around 2002-2004 and we got the K6 system around 2001, then there was a pentium 4 my dad built, I built a Pentium 3 somewhere in there, etc, water cooled Pentium 4, so on and so forth to a plethora of Intel (mostly Haswell, Arrandale laptop daily driver) systems now in various states of parts and a 2700X 'gaming' PC that I don't use as much as I should and when I do I play games that a literal potato could run.

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

Lucky...

I started around the same time and with roughly the same hardware, we had an Acer Aspire that came with a 1GB hard drive (maybe it was smaller), 8MB RAM, and a 100mhz not an intel Pentium processors. I believe on board video was 1MB handled by a Cirrus Logic chip, there was a 14.4 modem, maybe had a separate sound card but I'm not sure. I think it had a couple ISA and maybe MAYBE one PCI slot. The computer came with the demo versions of the above Epic MegaGames titles, I ended up owning all 3 at one point or another and still play them from time to time, all have been ported or made playable on Windows 10 with modern hardware now which is awesome, because it means I wasn't the only one who enjoyed them even if no one else I knew had ever heard of them. Eventually we upgraded it to 40MB of RAM because 8 wasn't enough for MechWarrior 2 to run smoothly (and actually the onboard video wasn't really up to the task either, but more RAM is never a bad thing!)

Then my mom bought a Gateway 2000 Pentium 2 200mhz system and when I tried to play my favorite games on it, they wouldn't run, it went tooooo fast! And then the Acer got retired to an older family friend and we got a second hand PC from the bowels of the University of Chicago courtesy of my fathers friend. It had an AMD K6 (maybe K6-2) 266mhz CPU and SIMM or DIMM memory slots and this brown slot called AGP and way more PCI and ISA slots and Windows NT and somehow an AT power supply, it was a weird beast made of metal designed to withstand nuclear experiments or at least thick enough to be a Faraday cage to protect it from the high power MRI's they were using in their medical research. 

All of this spanned from about 1995 to around 2000, I think the Acer got donated around 2002-2004 and we got the K6 system around 2001, then there was a pentium 4 my dad built, I built a Pentium 3 somewhere in there, etc, water cooled Pentium 4, so on and so forth to a plethora of Intel (mostly Haswell, Arrandale laptop daily driver) systems now in various states of parts and a 2700X 'gaming' PC that I don't use as much as I should and when I do I play games that a literal potato could run.

Nice! Your first system if it didn't have pci would have likely been a 486 probably a dx4/100.

My first system also had a 1gb hard disk (Western digital Caviar 11000) and a 2mb diamond stealth 64 video card which used an S3 chip. It also came with 8mb Edo ram which we later upgraded to 32mb and had a sound blaster 16.

Original motherboard was a Supermicro P55CM, I believe a rev 1 but it had a coast/cache card. My go to games were need for speed 2, simcity, simcity 2000se and later anno 1602.

Ill have to see if I can find Tyrian, Jazz Jackrabbit and Epic Pinball online. I'm sure they shouldn't be too hard I believe all 3 of those were pretty popular.

Oh yeah, the other one I remember is rodents revenge from the Microsoft entertainment pack, and a couple magic school bus games probably around '97 or so.

Just setup an old Compaq p166 in the basement for the kids to play with, and put a couple of the old games on. Just need speakers for it now and finish installing more games haha.

51 minutes ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Nice! Your first system if it didn't have pci would have likely been a 486 probably a dx4/100.

My first system also had a 1gb hard disk (Western digital Caviar 11000) and a 2mb diamond stealth 64 video card which used an S3 chip. It also came with 8mb Edo ram which we later upgraded to 32mb and had a sound blaster 16.

Original motherboard was a Supermicro P55CM, I believe a rev 1 but it had a coast/cache card. My go to games were need for speed 2, simcity, simcity 2000se and later anno 1602.

Ill have to see if I can find Tyrian, Jazz Jackrabbit and Epic Pinball online. I'm sure they shouldn't be too hard I believe all 3 of those were pretty popular.

Oh yeah, the other one I remember is rodents revenge from the Microsoft entertainment pack, and a couple magic school bus games probably around '97 or so.

Just setup an old Compaq p166 in the basement for the kids to play with, and put a couple of the old games on. Just need speakers for it now and finish installing more games haha.

How about Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing? I hated that program, I still don't type 'right' but it works well enough and quickly enough for me!

I wasn't inside the Acer much at all, I thought it had a PCI slot because at one point we had a 10Base2 network card when we got ONE MEGABIT cable internet for a while. Since I'm pretty sure it had a PCI slot I'm also fairly sure it was Socket 7. It might have been a Cyrix CPU, I vaguely remember no thermal paste and a golden CPU under the heatsink with fan.

Heard that waaayyyy too many times when something got goofed up and my dad would re-install Windows with the Acer recovery media.