Xbox One will sport AMD freesync technology

MasterGeekMX
2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

No, but there are 60hz monitors with Freesync. I don't believe the One X goes over 60fps ATM. Actually when I saw that Xbox One X was getting Freesync I considered that a bad thing. It is supposed to be 60fps locked so why would you want Freesync? The fact that it is getting it either means we are going to see higher FPS limits down the road, or that the One X is consistently falling below 60fps.

Nothing wrong with giving the One X a good boost in gaming. If the drops can be mitigated without notice, it may push developers to put more effort in bringing frame-rate to the fore-front rather locking it to 30Hz. This may also push the television manufacturers to push better panels rather than sticking to a single frame-rate or framing techniques such as "motionPLUS" (Samsung or Vizio, I believe). 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

22 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

This is dumb. Have you seen how much more cost Freesync adds on top of regular displays? Consoles are also always at piss poor single digit framerates where Freesync wouldn't work. Support for Gsync would make more sense due to the GPU in consoles and far cheaper display implementation.

I smell a troll.

Please show me the Gsync display that is cheaper than an equivalent Freesync panel?  I would like to buy it.

1 Timothy 1:15

https://twitter.com/ryanshrout/status/972587261073162243

FreeSync 2 from @Radeon is coming to the @Xbox One X, confirmed on today's Xbox live stream. Very exciting addition to the ecosystem. Nothing new on FreeSync enabled TVs though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeSync#FreeSync_2

So, it's not just FreeSync, but FreeSync 2. That makes a lot more sense.

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

https://twitter.com/ryanshrout/status/972587261073162243

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeSync#FreeSync_2

So, it's not just FreeSync, but FreeSync 2. That makes a lot more sense.

Perhaps Freesync 2 is embedded in the console?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I swear Microsoft needs to get their heads out of the gutter. Consoles aren't meant to be bleeding edge, there's no way around it. From designing to production, it takes well over a few years. By the time it hits market, the hardware is practically outdated already. 

Focus on games like Nintendo and Playstation does, that's what is a console is for. Maybe a bit of netflix on the side, but that's all its really for. they got no games already aside from PUBG and Fortnite at this point and its only going to get worse when PS5 hits the market now that it's confirmed. 

25 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

It's in the GPU tech and works off interior specs within the display connections. Though the FreeSync 1 vs 2 is more Monitor, not the GPU. Which should mean the PS4 Pro can also use it, if they push the firmware update to activate it.

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Support for Gsync would make more sense due to the GPU in consoles and far cheaper display implementation.

This was the best part :).

G-sync working with an AMD GPU, lol.

1 hour ago, f22luke said:

I smell a troll.

Please show me the Gsync display that is cheaper than an equivalent Freesync panel?  I would like to buy it.

Pretty sure that whole post was a joke.

Very interesting. AMD is basically "breaking" the HDMI spec by allowing a freesync signal over HDMI (I guess basically the Adaptive Sync signal). To utilize the feature on monitors is a nice touch, but obviously, this won't benefit most consoles, as they tend to be connected to a TV. However, this does seem like a proactive step to have support for the VRR in HDMI 2.1 coming out next year.

Now that consoles can have varying resolutions, framerates and graphical settings, they are basically cheap gaming PC's at this point. That is good news.

4 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Haha, as if AMD's that smart... 

Reveal hidden contents

Next you'll be asking them to send software designers to help developers out. 

I'd like to see G-Sync and Freesync (Adaptive Sync) become a household thing. Do we even want static refresh rates anymore*? 

*As of four years ago.

It kinda already is doing that. Most, if not all non gsync Samsung monitors support freesync. Pretty much all non gsync LG monitors do as well.

3 hours ago, PopReference said:

The real question Is: When will mainstream TVs start supporting Variable refresh?

Next year. Freesync is part of the HDMI 2.1 spec that will finalize this year and be implemented in TV's from next year. CES 2019 should be very interesting in that regard: https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/

3 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

FYI, there is a refresh rate range for FreeSync. Depending on the implementation on the monitor the minimum will usually be around 48 to 40hz, some of the LG 75hz and 144hz monitors with FreeSync have minimums of even 55 or 70hz but some of the better ones can get a 30hz minimum. AMD has a helpful resource that shows the range and a couple basic specs for each FreeSync-compatible monitor:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

GSync doesn't have this limitation.

that's theoretical. Afaik, there isn't a panel that can actually achieve either the 9hz or 240hz limit with FreeSync.

No LCD panel can go below 30hz. But if max framerate is at least twice as high as min framerate; freesync is able to use LFC (low framerate compensation), that is identical to gsync, in that it multiplies the frames. Say your FPS is 29, the GPU will send out the same frame twice, thus running the panel at 58hz.

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

This is dumb. Have you seen how much more cost Freesync adds on top of regular displays? Consoles are also always at piss poor single digit framerates where Freesync wouldn't work. Support for Gsync would make more sense due to the GPU in consoles and far cheaper display implementation.

Nothing? Freesync is basically free to implement, as the monitor controllers (scalers) include the functionality as standard today on most monitors (at least by Samsung and LG). Consoles don't run single digit FPS, and in fact the general 30ish FPS you do see on consoles will benefit hugely from Freesync.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

5 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Is the Xbox One's GPU even capable of refresh rates that take advantage from Freesync?

Even a game running Freesync between 25 an 35 FPS would be much better visual experience than either 30 FPS locked VSYNC with stuttering and added latency or unlocked with screen tearing.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

6 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

FYI, there is a refresh rate range for FreeSync. Depending on the implementation on the monitor the minimum will usually be around 48 to 40hz, some of the LG 75hz and 144hz monitors with FreeSync have minimums of even 55 or 70hz but some of the better ones can get a 30hz minimum. AMD has a helpful resource that shows the range and a couple basic specs for each FreeSync-compatible monitor:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

GSync doesn't have this limitation.

that's theoretical. Afaik, there isn't a panel that can actually achieve either the 9hz or 240hz limit with FreeSync.

The reason gsync doesn't have this "limitation" is the gsync module. You pay the big bucks for a proprietary module that's very powerful and is only implemented in premium if not flagship monitors. FreeSync gets implemented in pretty much any product. It's kinda like comparing an iPhone vs a plethora of Android devices. Some will match the iPhone but a lot of them might be Chinese knockoffs with Mediatek chips.

If monitor vendors implemented better hardware it would be pretty much the same experience. Eventually the bottom tier will get better.

7 hours ago, MasterGeekMX said:

Anyways I think this might result well because it will push sync tech into mainstream, and as a fan of open source things (I'm even posting this on Linux, btw) Freesync is a better option than G-Sync for me.

I think Intel finally getting their head out of their ass and implementing it on their graphics products would do more. Their market share and power in the industry would push the PC industry forward. All this will do is give a little push to the TV and home theater/entertainment industry. Variable refresh rate has been adopted in the next HDMI version so AMD's HDMI extension paid off. It's just a matter of TV vendors implementing it. Otherwise you'd have to use a big monitor for your console (which I guess has its advantages). I mean sure TV vendors may show more interest if there is a clear use case and a USP to doing it.

8 hours ago, Hiitchy said:

Gaming focused TV’s.. I don’t know how to feel about this.

Ikr.

This would be great, except for the fact both my current monitor and the PG27UQ I'm planning on getting are G-sync. I'm certainly not going to buy a 4K HDR monitor just for the Xbox One X.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

I have to say that is good news.

Al through for me personally it doesn't matter since I currently use a PlayStation 4/3 as consoles & a PC with an NVIDIA Card.

Funnily enough I do use a freesync panel, used to work with my RX480.. until that thing when to Graphics Card heaven.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

9 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Is the Xbox One's GPU even capable of refresh rates that take advantage from Freesync?

The regular One (and One X) ? yes, kind of depending on the game.

Freesync can operate from 40 fps to Up To 165 fps I think.

In situations where the fps is beetween 40 and 75, Freesync is still active depending on the monitor or TV.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

FreeSync  2 is basically a spec for FreeSync monitors to support HDR in a way which doesn't cause huge latency.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, Notional said:

Next year. Freesync is part of the HDMI 2.1 spec that will finalize this year and be implemented in TV's from next year. CES 2019 should be very interesting in that regard: https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/

Just to be clear HDMI 2.1 does *not* support freesync. Freesync is a branded implimentation of VESA's Adaptive Sync and HDMI 2.1 is not using Adaptive Sync, much less AMD's implimentation of it.

AMD *may* expand their branding to cover HDMI 2.1 VRR, but as of this moment it specifically refers to AdaptiveSync which is port-agnostic (you can theoretically run over HDMI 1.4 if both devices support it).

Well this is good for Freesync as a standard.

That's one step forward for open standards.

The bad part is that is all but impossible to use anything above basic entry level, weak GPU performance (in the form of Riven Ridge) from AMD right now anyway so what this is doing, is basically yet another reason to encourage people to just forget PC gaming and move to consoles.

And that's two steps backs for open standards.

So at best this is bittersweet news.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well, it's very much needed for consoles that's for sure. Good though. Will be good to see 120Hz Freesync TVs eventually. I say that both should just be standard really.

Variable refresh rate tech like Freesync is easy and no fuss to implement. Higher refresh rate of like 120Hz is a neat improvement and also for 30/24fps videos. Heck even Apple iPad and Razer phone now have 120Hz which wasn't surprise to me. Just a new standard that should be. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Heck even Apple iPad and Razer phone now have 120Hz which wasn't surprise to me. Just a new standard that should be. 

What was a surprise to me was not that these devices have 120Hz displays, but rather that they both have 120Hz LCD displays while all the AMOLED screen phones on the market are 60/90Hz despite AMOLED displays theoretically being capable of refresh rates in the thousands of Hz...

9 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

What was a surprise to me was not that these devices have 120Hz displays, but rather that they both have 120Hz LCD displays while all the AMOLED screen phones on the market are 60/90Hz despite AMOLED displays theoretically being capable of refresh rates in the thousands of Hz...

Yeah, maybe some other issues with OLED at high refresh rate, like ghosting. Who knows. Would like to see high refresh rate OLED monitors that's for sure.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

18 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Perhaps most OEMs didn't care about wasting time on something that has no realistic benefit outside of extremely small niches.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

19 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yes in certain titles like Forza

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

8 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Just to be clear HDMI 2.1 does *not* support freesync. Freesync is a branded implimentation of VESA's Adaptive Sync and HDMI 2.1 is not using Adaptive Sync, much less AMD's implimentation of it.

AMD *may* expand their branding to cover HDMI 2.1 VRR, but as of this moment it specifically refers to AdaptiveSync which is port-agnostic (you can theoretically run over HDMI 1.4 if both devices support it).

Technically you are correct, however, AMD is responsible for both Vesa's Adaptive Sync and HDMI 2.1's new VRR. So I can guarantee that Freesync will utilize both in any product.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro