Xbox One will sport AMD freesync technology

MasterGeekMX

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/03/10/pc-exclusive-no-more-freesync-finally-lands-on-xbox-one-consoles/#1b48b34848f8

AMD states that it will bring Freesync capabilities to the Xbox One later on this year.

Quotes from articles:

Variable refresh rate support is finally landing on Microsoft's Xbox One X and Xbox One S, but you may know it as a formerly PC-exclusive perk called FreeSync. Microsoft's Larry Hyrb and AMD's Antal Tungler announced the feature on Microsoft's Inside Xbox show today, and this is very good news for Xbox players.

After G-Sync, AMD came along and introduced their version of variable refresh rate which, unlike Nvidia's solution, didn't require a proprietary module in the back of monitors. This made FreeSync monitors more affordable than their G-Sync counterparts. More importantly to Xbox One S/Xowners, it opened the door for this kind of game changer on consoles.

FreeSync 2 with HDR for Xbox One S/X should be available in the Alpha Ring for Xbox Insiders within the next few days. Original FreeSync will be available for the standard Xbox One. You'll need a FreeSync-compatible monitor.

Opinions:

AMD wants this to happen to take advantage of the popularity of consoles to make promotion of the freesync technology. With this in mind it will also push TV makers to implement it (because console guys most of the time plug their console to a TV), so this is another step towards gaming-focused TV's. In the other hand I think Microsoft wants this to reduce the boundary between the "xbox experience" and a PC. Of course I doubt that many titles would take advantage of this tech because in my experience drops in performance are more perceptible with sync technologies. Anyways I think this might result well because it will push sync tech into mainstream, and as a fan of open source things (I'm even posting this on Linux, btw) Freesync is a better option than G-Sync for me.

#PCMasterRace #LinuxMasterRace

Don't mix being popular and common becasue ot being the best, and being common and popular because it was the first thing the people saw.

Is the Xbox One's GPU even capable of refresh rates that take advantage from Freesync?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Is the Xbox One's GPU even capable of refresh rates that take advantage from Freesync?

The One X's is.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You know the benefit for FreeSync is when you're under the refresh rate of the panel, right?

Hmm, I must be thinking of G-Sync. Last I checked, you only benefited from frame sync while running at 100Hz or higher

Edited by Crunchy Dragon

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Hmm, I must be thinking of G-Sync. Last I checked, you only benefited from frame sync while running at 100Hz or higher

No, it's for both FreeSync and Gsync.  I think that maybe you don't understand what either function actually DOES. o.O

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Nah, you're just confuzzled.

Both are to alleviate frame rate fluctuation. At first, G-sync was the only one that could do 100Hz+.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Hiitchy said:

Gaming focused TV’s.. I don’t know how to feel about this.

Considdering that most TV and movies are 24hz, a FreeSync function could be adventagious to media playback as well.  Right now the only way TV's can avoid a 3:2 pulldown when playing back 24hz content is to have 120hz panels, the models with 60hz panels MUST do a 3:2 pulldown or interpolate frames.  If you could just change the refresh rate of the panel to a native 24hz, boom, no 3:2 pulldown for media playback.

9 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Basically the opposite. Adaptive refresh rate technology operates under the monitor's refresh rate, making fluctuations in FPS less noticeable.

15 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

..no? The point of both technologies are for when you're running under the maximum refresh rate of the monitor.

AMD finally pushing their technology. Next step, please push technologies such as TressFX, even if only on xbox, at least finally somebody would be using it.

3 minutes ago, The Viking said:

AMD finally pushing their technology. Next step, please push technologies such as TressFX, even if only on xbox, at least finally somebody would be using it.

Haha, as if AMD's that smart... 

Spoiler

Next you'll be asking them to send software designers to help developers out. 

I'd like to see G-Sync and Freesync (Adaptive Sync) become a household thing. Do we even want static refresh rates anymore*? 

*As of four years ago.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

it's hard when you don't have the money to literally pay every single dev to use shitty gameworks and screw the game for everybody. TressFX is much better than hairworks and doesn't look like a cheapo-wig from china.

Just now, The Viking said:

it's hard when you don't have the money to literally pay every single dev to use shitty gameworks and screw the game for everybody. TressFX is much better than hairworks and doesn't look like a cheapo-wig from china.

When you put yourself out there, you usually get more back for your investment. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

19 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Reveal hidden contents

Next you'll be asking them to send software designers to help developers out. 

I'd like to see G-Sync and Freesync (Adaptive Sync) become a household thing. Do we even want static refresh rates anymore*? 

*As of four years ago.

Lol fuck Gsync

Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

49 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Basically the opposite. Adaptive refresh rate technology operates under the monitor's refresh rate, making fluctuations in FPS less noticeable.

44 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

..no? The point of both technologies are for when you're running under the maximum refresh rate of the monitor.

FYI, there is a refresh rate range for FreeSync. Depending on the implementation on the monitor the minimum will usually be around 48 to 40hz, some of the LG 75hz and 144hz monitors with FreeSync have minimums of even 55 or 70hz but some of the better ones can get a 30hz minimum. AMD has a helpful resource that shows the range and a couple basic specs for each FreeSync-compatible monitor:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

GSync doesn't have this limitation.

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

Well, FreeSynch's refresh rate range is between 9hz and 240hz so... Yes?

that's theoretical. Afaik, there isn't a panel that can actually achieve either the 9hz or 240hz limit with FreeSync.

Edited by SCGazelle

1 hour ago, MasterGeekMX said:

FreeSync 2 with HDR for Xbox One S/X should be available in the Alpha Ring for Xbox Insiders within the next few days. Original FreeSync will be available for the standard Xbox One. You'll need a FreeSync-compatible monitor.

I'm curious where Forbes got the bit about the original XBO supporting FreeSync as it's absent from the actual insider news thing and as far as I can tell they're the only news outlet claiming it will support it at all.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

No, but there are 60hz monitors with Freesync. I don't believe the One X goes over 60fps ATM. Actually when I saw that Xbox One X was getting Freesync I considered that a bad thing. It is supposed to be 60fps locked so why would you want Freesync? The fact that it is getting it either means we are going to see higher FPS limits down the road, or that the One X is consistently falling below 60fps.