Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
techswede

Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 100k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

 

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

 

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Recommended Posts

In other news I was browsing copart for some clean title cars and found this is Renault Logan for sale in Florida... 

a. How did this thing get here

b. can it even be registered??? lol 

https://www.copart.com/lot/24463009 


"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.4 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

are there options for better synchro's in the aftermarket?  I guess I just assumed you'd be rebuilding back to oem spec...  if the 2k rebuild option includes the improved parts that may be worth it.  and if someone makes those parts, they prolly know how to rebuild the transmission...

 

as far as while your in there clutch, not even necessarily upgrading.. oem clutches are usually pretty cheap (as long as you don't buy them from the dealer).  so unless you have super low miles, might be worth just getting a new clutch.  if you're looking to upgrade, I'm more of a fan of light weight 1 pc steel flywheels over a bolted together aluminum.  its rare, but you do see them fail occasionally.  a steel flywheel (ACT makes good steel 1pc flywheels) might be a couple lb heavier but the piece of mind is worth it to me.  and they're usually cheaper.  if you stay with the stock flywheel, make sure to get it resurfaced, even if you're going to a new oem clutch.

he already purchased the trans parts. Upgraded I believe. He's looking for an installer.

 

also +1 on the ACT. I have the heaviest of the ACT flywheels in my car. Love it. Also steel gives some peace of mind that thing that is spinning at 7000 rpm right next to you wont fly apart and kill you


"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.4 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

he already purchased the trans parts. Upgraded I believe. He's looking for an installer.

 

also +1 on the ACT. I have the heaviest of the ACT flywheels in my car. Love it

What do the heavier flywheels feel like? I'm planning on getting a new clutch + flywheel for the Corolla over the summer and I don't know if I should get a lighter or heavier one.


Futura:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - 3.8GHz @ 1.3V  GPUGigabyte RX 570

Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 HDD: WD Blue 2TB 5400rpm

SSD: HP M700 120GB RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz C16 @ 1.35V 

Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: In Win 101 (Black) PSU: Corsair CX450

 

Infinity (Upgraded Dell XPS 410):

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 GPU: EVGA Geforce 750 Ti SC

RAM: 8GB Corsair DDR2 800MHz HDD: WD Caviar Blue 320GB

PSU: Corsair CX450

 

Car: 

2004 Toyota Corolla

Engine: 1ZZ-FE, 140HP Transmission: C59 5spd Manual

Weight: 2500lbs/1130kg

Mods:

M-Pact Performance Clutch

Megan Racing Lowering Springs

Subaru Outback 17" Rims

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

What do the heavier flywheels feel like? I'm planning on getting a new clutch + flywheel for the Corolla over the summer and I don't know if I should get a lighter or heavier one.

Well I got the heaviest of the ACT ones.. pretty much most if not all aftermarket ones are lighter. 

Heavier flywheel = more mass, dont have to ride clutch as much compared to lighter when starting off and generally easier to drive every day, engine doesn't rev up and down as quickly as lighter one

lighter flywheel = less mass, have to ride the clutch more when starting off, harder to drive, engine revs up and down quicker

 

taking less time for the rpm to fall when you go to shift = shift faster without wearing syncros as much by just shoving it into gear. it's also fun/satisfying for the engine to rev so quickly

 

it's all a balance thing. I basically went "one step" lighter than stock, which I felt was a little too slow to rev. Racecar I would just get lightest I could find, daily driver... it's balancing act. 


"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.4 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

he already purchased the trans parts. Upgraded I believe. He's looking for an installer.

 

also +1 on the ACT. I have the heaviest of the ACT flywheels in my car. Love it. Also steel gives some peace of mind that thing that is spinning at 7000 rpm right next to you wont fly apart and kill you

@TVwazhere

 

in that case ask the part manufacturer if they have a recommended installer


Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | 4770k 4.6GHz | Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

@TVwazhere

 

in that case ask the part manufacturer if they have a recommended installer

I bought the Synchros and LSD from speed performance I believe. The hardware kit I bought from mountune (fucking hell one of those took forever) and they actually have a service that will rebuild it for you but it's even more expensive not including shipping to California to have them do it. :( I also have a contact in Florida who only does Focus ST transmission rebuilds which is nice, but that still means I gotta have a means to rip out the transmission myself (he said my overall labor price for what I was doing was fair though) 

 

I did have a local guy reach out to me (made a post on Facebook) and said he had transmission work done near me, but it was only the clutch and fly wheel. Dunno if they'd be willing to do more. The place I currently asked seemed very willing to do clutch swaps. At least if nothing else, competing quotes 

 

(Also the car only has 26k miles on it so the clutch is still healthy. Yes I've tried warranting it, but my local dealer won't even cough in its general direction because it's modified) 


LTT Official Folding Month Oct 1st-Nov 4th! Donate your hardware to science, get forum badges and be entered for rewards!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- RGB Build Post 2019 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

In other news I was browsing copart for some clean title cars and found this is Renault Logan for sale in Florida... 

a. How did this thing get here

b. can it even be registered??? lol 

https://www.copart.com/lot/24463009 

Canada, came from Canada. I've seen a couple RenNO's running around with Canadian plates on them down here in the states, rare though. Likely was totalled in Florida and so stayed in Florida, maybe flooded out and their insurance didn't want to pay to haul it back up to Poutine-land.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

I bought the Synchros and LSD from speed performance I believe. The hardware kit I bought from mountune (fucking hell one of those took forever) and they actually have a service that will rebuild it for you but it's even more expensive not including shipping to California to have them do it. :( I also have a contact in Florida who only does Focus ST transmission rebuilds which is nice, but that still means I gotta have a means to rip out the transmission myself (he said my overall labor price for what I was doing was fair though) 

 

I did have a local guy reach out to me (made a post on Facebook) and said he had transmission work done near me, but it was only the clutch and fly wheel. Dunno if they'd be willing to do more. The place I currently asked seemed very willing to do clutch swaps. At least if nothing else, competing quotes 

 

(Also the car only has 26k miles on it so the clutch is still healthy. Yes I've tried warranting it, but my local dealer won't even cough in its general direction because it's modified) 

Yeah... clutch and flywheel doesn't qualify as "transmission work"... I mean I'm not necessarily saying they can't do it, but that replacing a clutch doesn't qualify anyone for a tranny rebuild


Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | 4770k 4.6GHz | Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, warmmilk said:

Yeah... clutch and flywheel doesn't qualify as "transmission work"... I mean I'm not necessarily saying they can't do it, but that replacing a clutch doesn't qualify anyone for a tranny rebuild

Well all these places I'm looking at say they do "transmission rebuilds" but every time I mention 2016 ford focus they get timid. 😑


LTT Official Folding Month Oct 1st-Nov 4th! Donate your hardware to science, get forum badges and be entered for rewards!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- RGB Build Post 2019 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

Link to post
Share on other sites

LTTF Active Threads: Box Box Box - Project CARS & Assetto Corsa Players Club  | The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X + Corsair H110i GT GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 16GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 STORAGE: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Intel 545s 512GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Well I got the heaviest of the ACT ones.. pretty much most if not all aftermarket ones are lighter. 

Heavier flywheel = more mass, dont have to ride clutch as much compared to lighter when starting off and generally easier to drive every day, engine doesn't rev up and down as quickly as lighter one

lighter flywheel = less mass, have to ride the clutch more when starting off, harder to drive, engine revs up and down quicker

 

taking less time for the rpm to fall when you go to shift = shift faster without wearing syncros as much by just shoving it into gear. it's also fun/satisfying for the engine to rev so quickly

 

it's all a balance thing. I basically went "one step" lighter than stock, which I felt was a little too slow to rev. Racecar I would just get lightest I could find, daily driver... it's balancing act. 

well I've got a dual-mass flywheel. 😋

 

honestly my car is so freaking easy to start. it's ridiculous.


I drive a Honda, but i'm a Toyota boy at heart.

I use Apple products, and I like it.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-2820QM GPU: Intel HD3000/Radeon HD6750M RAM: 12GB(4GB Crucial, 8GB PNY) MOBO: Apple A1286 PSU: Apple MagSafe MONITOR: 1680x1050 CHASSIS: MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011) A1286

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

well I've got a dual-mass flywheel. 😋

 

honestly my car is so freaking easy to start. it's ridiculous.

lot of cars have dual mass flywheels now haha, I bet it is. Manual trans in "easy mode" xD


"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.4 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

lot of cars have dual mass flywheels now haha, I bet it is. Manual trans in "easy mode" xD

They found a way to make flywheels wear out


[Desktop][i7 3960X @ 4.3Ghz][P9X79 Deluxe][16GB DDR3 1866Mhz][GTX 1080Ti Fe][1TB 850 Evo][Win 10 Pro]
[Laptop][Pavilion Gaming 15t][i7 8750H @ -128 undervolt][8GB DDR4 2666M Mhz][GTX 1060 Max-Q][1TB WD Blue 3D Nand SSD][Win 10 Pro]

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

They found a way to make flywheels wear out

his car has like.. a lot of miles on it though. So his is fine lol


"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.4 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

 

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

his car has like.. a lot of miles on it though. So his is fine lol

yep, 226k and still going strong!


I drive a Honda, but i'm a Toyota boy at heart.

I use Apple products, and I like it.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-2820QM GPU: Intel HD3000/Radeon HD6750M RAM: 12GB(4GB Crucial, 8GB PNY) MOBO: Apple A1286 PSU: Apple MagSafe MONITOR: 1680x1050 CHASSIS: MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011) A1286

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

lot of cars have dual mass flywheels now haha, I bet it is. Manual trans in "easy mode" xD

DMFs in cars suck :(

 

Had the clutch done in my car and felt that the clutch was slipping but I couldn't place it. Few thousand miles later and the slipping is more pronounced and it feels like I'm moving heaven and earth when I change gear. Probably gonna swap it out for a different clutch and flywheel setup.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would y'all know how tuning can affect startup time? My Legacy GT takes awhile to start and it's totally fine to start when it's been warmed up a little bit (say I turn the car off when filling it with gas) but in the morning it's very hard to start most of the time. Would the failing dual mass flywheel cause the hard starting? 

 

I ask about the tuning because I recently replaced a bunch of sensors and the car definitely needs to be tuned again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Well all these places I'm looking at say they do "transmission rebuilds" but every time I mention 2016 ford focus they get timid. 😑

finding a transmission builder is even harder than finding an engine builder... I don't envy your search...

6 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

I'm still torn on traction control... on the one hand its awesome, on the other it takes away from the driving experience...

 

it sounds amazing tho... and I'm super jealous about that ABS system


Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | 4770k 4.6GHz | Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

In other news I was browsing copart for some clean title cars and found this is Renault Logan for sale in Florida... 

a. How did this thing get here

b. can it even be registered??? lol 

https://www.copart.com/lot/24463009 

probably a mexico spec car probably. 


"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

 

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, warmmilk said:

finding a transmission builder is even harder than finding an engine builder... I don't envy your search...

I'm still torn on traction control... on the one hand its awesome, on the other it takes away from the driving experience...

 

it sounds amazing tho... and I'm super jealous about that ABS system

 

Its all cheatinggggggggggg


LTTF Active Threads: Box Box Box - Project CARS & Assetto Corsa Players Club  | The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X + Corsair H110i GT GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 16GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 STORAGE: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Intel 545s 512GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

his car has like.. a lot of miles on it though. So his is fine lol

More of an issue on city driving and whatnot where its way more stop and go. Also high horsepower stuff


[Desktop][i7 3960X @ 4.3Ghz][P9X79 Deluxe][16GB DDR3 1866Mhz][GTX 1080Ti Fe][1TB 850 Evo][Win 10 Pro]
[Laptop][Pavilion Gaming 15t][i7 8750H @ -128 undervolt][8GB DDR4 2666M Mhz][GTX 1060 Max-Q][1TB WD Blue 3D Nand SSD][Win 10 Pro]

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

More of an issue on city driving and whatnot where its way more stop and go. Also high horsepower stuff

Ya mean a 244 hp isn’t high? This is a Honda after all!😜

 

To be fair ive done my fair share of stop and go too. 


I drive a Honda, but i'm a Toyota boy at heart.

I use Apple products, and I like it.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-2820QM GPU: Intel HD3000/Radeon HD6750M RAM: 12GB(4GB Crucial, 8GB PNY) MOBO: Apple A1286 PSU: Apple MagSafe MONITOR: 1680x1050 CHASSIS: MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011) A1286

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up some new re-71r's for Auto x. Pretty crazy tire at 265

IMG_20190502_161658.thumb.jpg.02649da208c26682a28b8861e4a5c290.jpg

image000000_01.jpg


Case: Fractal Designs Arc Midi R2  cpu: Intel core i5 4670k at 4.6ghz Motherboard: msi z87-gd65 gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Seasonic x650 gold Memory: 16gb Corsair vengeance pro 1600mhz ssd: Samsung 840 120gb Hard drive: Western digital wd black 500gb  Build-log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/37554-starting-my-first-full-blown-build/                                                                                                 "on the Internet. You can find almost anything on the Internet..." -Linus                                                                                                                                                                              i haz pc

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 11:07 PM, TVwazhere said:

I have a video (that I cant seem to get to load) but the turn signals are sequential lights. 

 

I freaking love sequential turn signals xD

 

22 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

 

Holy shit. I want some of that noise.


"Everyone dies alone. But if you meant something to someone, if you helped someone, or loved someone, if even a single person remembers you, then maybe you never really die. And maybe, this isn't the end at all."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×