avoiding a statement on multicore turbo boosts for all future chips including CFL

warstm

not sure if this is a big deal or if someone already posted it under a different thread but anyways here's what I found let me know if you guys think this is legit and or real thanks.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/257044-intel-will-no-longer-provide-per-core-turbo-frequencies-making-motherboard-tuning-impossible

summary
i guess the general idea here is that intel is trying to not give specifics on the per core clock speeds and motherboards don't always do a great job of per clock boosting and at the end of the day its gonna fall on the community to gather the numbers to find out what works and what doesn't but intel could have just released the numbers from there benchmarks/testing I guess to make this easier.

This information can still be gathered via manual testing (assuming none of the issues above apply), and testing multiple motherboards would be the simplest way to make certain there are no issues affecting one specific model.

enthusiasts can end up destabilizing their own systems as a result if they don’t take note of the different clocking scheme that’s enabled when XMP is activated.

Some of these issues come with the territory. Pre-release hardware is called “pre-release” for a reason, and we almost always go through a UEFI revision or two during the testing process.

personal opinion
i just think that since I've been a fan of AMD CPUs for most of my life that I'm not really worried about it and at the end of the day even if this 8th gen core i5 8400 is better value then a ryzen for performance and I'm still gonna go ryzen out of respect for and not worry about the issues Intel has or doesn't have. 

*Note; The title is a quote from ARikozuM thanks for pointing things out I don't really want to write all this I simply wanted to share news article I have no interest in writing this much but seems to share it I had to anyways if this isn't good enough then I'll just delete it and leave it thanks.

Edited by SansVarnic

i think so as well as not giving mobo manufactures total control on xmp profiles but really hard to say untill someone does some testing with a few mobo

Let's see...

Doesn't fit Tech News format; no quote,

title doesn't line up with what the article actually states, 

summary or personal thoughts speak of something not in the article,

and doesn't fit Tech News format.

What Intel is doing is avoiding a statement on multicore turbo boosts for all future chips including CFL.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

im editing it it now should be more to your format

But why? 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Hiding info from mobo manufacturers because their boards and the way they handle turbo boost and XMP profiles can cause the chips to be unstable. I mean totally understandable because they are causing issues with chips. I just dont understand why to hide it because its not like its hard to find out.

So this can translate to differences on the exact same SKU? If so that's a shitty decision: I thought the whole point of having the K chips was to ensure a baseline level of performance to all other chips.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, warstm said:

personal opinion
i just think that since I've been a fan of AMD CPUs for most of my life that I'm not really worried about it and at the end of the day even if this 8th gen core i5 8400 is better value then a ryzen for performance and I'm still gonna go ryzen out of respect for and not worry about the issues Intel has or doesn't have. 

This is the part that always confuses me. People will intentionally get less value for their money, to show respect for a company that owes them absolutely nothing. People act as if it's their job to support a company, when it's the companies job to EARN your money. Why people believe it's up to them to pity a company and give them their hard-earned money for an inferior product (not that Ryzen is inferior to an 8400, just speaking in general here) is beyond me.

If someone could explain why people do this, I'd certainly appreciate it, as it's been the most enigmatic thing about "fanboys" to date. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

my reason for being an AMD fan regardless of Intel's prices is mostly just the fact that I simply don't like Intel or what they offer as a company they have been mainstream for a decade with little to no competition and I don't want them to continue to be the main and only decent choice for cpus and if that means paying more for less but all the while not supporting Intel then I'm down for it I want there to be competition and I want to make sure it stays that way only way that's gonna happen is if I buy AMD at least that's the way I feel about it.

and if down the road in like 5 years intel hits the market with something that no one can compete with then sure i might switch over if i got no choice and be happy about it but it really just comes down to the fact that i like amd more and i want to support them more then intel think of it like coke and Pepsi no matter what there are both who love one or the other and at the end of the day regardless of price they refuse to drink the one they hate just outta preference and that's how i feel about amd just prefer it more and that's that.

11 minutes ago, warstm said:

my reason for being an AMD fan regardless of Intel's prices is mostly just the fact that I simply don't like Intel or what they offer as a company they have been mainstream for a decade with little to no competition

I dont understand this logic either. AMD has literally had their head up their ass for 10 years not providing a single competitive product while intel didnt have to even try and intel is the evil company? This is business, you expect companies to dump billions into R&D when in the end it doesnt matter because AMD wouldnt step up. Yeah AMD was the leader in price to performance but that is moot when performance is dukey. 

This is not a coke vs pepsi situation since thats opinion based. Intel vs AMD is pure hard numbers based. One being better than the other is a hard fact proven in benchmarks. Paying for a product thats proven worse is a waste of money be it intel, amd or nvidia.

5 minutes ago, warstm said:

my reason for being an AMD fan regardless of Intel's prices is mostly just the fact that I simply don't like Intel or what they offer as a company they have been mainstream for a decade with little to no competition and I don't want them to continue to be the main and only decent choice for cpus and if that means paying more for less but all the while not supporting Intel then I'm down for it I want there to be competition and I want to make sure it stays that way only way that's gonna happen is if I buy AMD at least that's the way I feel about it.

and if down the road in like 5 years intel hits the market with something that no one can compete with then sure i might switch over if i got no choice and be happy about it but it really just comes down to the fact that i like amd more and i want to support them more then intel think of it like coke and Pepsi no matter what there are both who love one or the other and at the end of the day regardless of price they refuse to drink the one they hate just outta preference and that's how i feel about amd just prefer it more and that's that.

You giving money for an inferior product does not improve competition. It tells a company that it's okay to make an inferior product because people like you will buy it no matter what the product offers. Competition is only gained from both sides trying to release superior products for the consumers dollar. If one side just so happens to release a product that is weaker than the other, it's not your job to buy it anyways because "Intel is mainstream" or "i want AMD to succeed". At the end of the day, you owe nothing to any of these companies. It's your job to get the best product you can for your dollar, regardless of whether or not you think it will have a profound impact on the future of a company.

I promise you, if a company releases a bad product, and nobody buys it, they will certainly get the message to improve upon it much faster than if people kept buying a bad product for the sake of obtaining moral high-ground. 

Also, I don't like commenting on the grammar of others, but punctuation can greatly improve the reading experience of others. 

I have no grammar skills makes no sense to me so ill make this my last response and as for paying for an inferior product I mean its a pretty big jump to say that amd has no product right now that isn't worth my money yea sure fx was a failure but ryzen epic thread ripper aren't near that bad and do offer quality for there price point and also I mean if we are gonna go based on pure benchmarks then you might as well say that Intel is king and no one will ever be able to compete therefor if you don't buy intel your stupid I see that as fanboying as well.

simply because Intel has had way more time and money to invest in its product to make it better to make it what it is today and if everyone buys intel and no one buys amd then how are they supposed to make a better product I mean it sounds like your basically asking them to just come running out the gate with a product that the giant Intel has no chance of beating like if its that easy to put Intel down then why doesn't someone from here go do it like really amd is doing what they can. Not the best sure but if no one supports them its never gonna get any better period and if you only want intel because of that then fine I guess I just don't wanna support intel they have enough money and fans and research that they can take a chill pill for a while someone else catches up.

8 minutes ago, warstm said:

I have no grammar skills makes no sense to me so ill make this my last response and as for paying for an inferior product I mean its a pretty big jump to say that amd has no product right now that isn't worth my money yea sure fx was a failure but ryzen epic thread ripper aren't near that bad and do offer quality for there price point and also I mean if we are gonna go based on pure benchmarks then you might as well say that Intel is king and no one will ever be able to compete therefor if you don't buy intel your stupid I see that as fanboying as well.

simply because Intel has had way more time and money to invest in its product to make it better to make it what it is today and if everyone buys intel and no one buys amd then how are they supposed to make a better product I mean it sounds like your basically asking them to just come running out the gate with a product that the giant Intel has no chance of beating like if its that easy to put Intel down then why doesn't someone from here go do it like really amd is doing what they can. Not the best sure but if no one supports them its never gonna get any better period and if you only want intel because of that then fine I guess I just don't wanna support intel they have enough money and fans and research that they can take a chill pill for a while someone else catches up.

This is why we can't have nice things, I wouldn't be surprised if amd and intel are working together xD

11 minutes ago, warstm said:

I have no grammar skills makes no sense

This is literally 3 sentences:

12 minutes ago, warstm said:

But besides the fact that supporting a company that cannot compete or stay competitive is still a waste of money. If the companies fails because they products are inferior then welcome to life. 

And I cant believe part of your argument is intel should take a chill pill so others can catch up. Wasnt that the past 10 years? Like you want top companies to take a chill pill because its not fair? Im losing my shit right now.

42 minutes ago, warstm said:

Nowhere in my posts did I say AMD made an inferior product. I recall using the word "if" for a reason. It was purely hypothetical. IF (take note of that word) you read my previous post, you will see this:

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

This is the part that always confuses me. People will intentionally get less value for their money, to show respect for a company that owes them absolutely nothing. People act as if it's their job to support a company, when it's the companies job to EARN your money. Why people believe it's up to them to pity a company and give them their hard-earned money for an inferior product (not that Ryzen is inferior to an 8400, just speaking in general here) is beyond me.

If someone could explain why people do this, I'd certainly appreciate it, as it's been the most enigmatic thing about "fanboys" to date. 

I have no problem with people buying AMD or Intel products, never have, never will. My problem stems from my lack of understanding when people throw away any sentiment of reasoning because they feel morally obligated to support a brand that is not properly earning their dollar. This does not have to be AMD, Intel, Nvidia, etc. It can be literally any brand for any product you consume. I only called out that specific part of your post, because I thought maybe someone could explain it to me. I must say, I am not satisfied with the answers I've received, but I suppose it's another case of "to each their own". 

@warstm I fixed your quotes for you.

Please adhere to the Guidelines for posting in this section or your post can be moved or locked.

We have guidelines for posting in the TN&R for reasons to separate legit posts from spam.

It also helps to encourage proper discussion on a topic than just posting random stuff, its an etiquette thing.. ;) 

LTT Forums prefers to promote and maintain healthy discussion on topics to provide solid and helpful dialogue for our members.

I hope this helps to encourage you to continue to post helpful and insightful articles in the future. :D 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, MageTank said:

Amd earned my money by shaking up the market and pretty much forcing intel to break the status quo of 4 cores. I hope my money and support helps them to continue to shake up the market.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Honestly I would buy an amd cpu and justify it with it being on a platform that is being supported for longer. I mean I like amd and like to support them but I didn't buy the 1700 because I felt obligated to support then but rather it suited my needs for less cost compared to Intel. 

3 hours ago, Anjelllo said:

Anyone who is a "fan" of intel, amd or nvidia, and pays more for a worse product because of that, I have no respect for. 

Good thing he pays less for Ryzen :P

Respect restored!

3 hours ago, MageTank said:

You giving money for an inferior product does not improve competition. It tells a company that it's okay to make an inferior product because people like you will buy it no matter what the product offers. Competition is only gained from both sides trying to release superior products for the consumers dollar. If one side just so happens to release a product that is weaker than the other, it's not your job to buy it anyways because "Intel is mainstream" or "i want AMD to succeed". At the end of the day, you owe nothing to any of these companies. It's your job to get the best product you can for your dollar, regardless of whether or not you think it will have a profound impact on the future of a company.

I promise you, if a company releases a bad product, and nobody buys it, they will certainly get the message to improve upon it much faster than if people kept buying a bad product for the sake of obtaining moral high-ground. 

Also, I don't like commenting on the grammar of others, but punctuation can greatly improve the reading experience of others. 

Speaking from an investor's POV: I love (the existence of) fanboys: they help drive hype (free PR) and some sales without the company needing to necessarily spend as much to develop the best product that they possibly could (all other circumstances being equal) xD.

5 hours ago, warstm said:

I guess I just don't wanna support intel they have enough money and fans and research that they can take a chill pill for a while someone else catches up.

Meanwhile everyone else who hates Intel is arguing the exact opposite, that Intel are intentionally holding back innovation and product advancement becasue they are so far in front.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.