I Knew It. Intel Doesn't Want To Support Kaby Lake On Z370

22 hours ago, leadeater said:

May I ask how you know this? The product doesn't even exist yet so I'm not sure what you are basing this off or if there is any actual merit to this assessment.

Hasn't been an issue on the Xeon product stack, no reason it should be the case on sockets and chipsets with lesser requirements. Intel setting a trend doesn't mean that there are any technical reasons for doing it or benefits for or against what they are doing.

It's not like I was arguing for or against backwards compatibility merely addressing the point you raised about this being a new complaint or only because Zen now exists, it's always been a complaint long before Zen.

It makes sense for everyone, if there are no technical reasons at the chipset level to not be able to support a CPU and there are no technical reasons in the CPU to not be able to support a chipset then it doesn't matter how cheap or expensive something is. To be clear I'm not saying every feature should work or RAM/DMI speeds shouldn't be limited in this scenario but having the ability to upgrade to a new CPU using an existing motherboard is nice to be able to do.

You can also buy new boards which might just be using older chipset technology. It's not always about being able to put a new CPU in an old motherboard it's about the necessity to actually introduce a new chipset at all, and if you do then it's about whether or not preventing backwards compatibility. For those buying new they will have new parts regardless and for those with existing components these are the ones that may be able to benefit.

Lets not forget X99 had support for two CPU generations, with increased core count.

As someone who is in the very high end customer segment I would very much appreciate being able to put at least one generation newer CPU in to my system. Can I afford to just buy a complete new system outright, sure but I'm not going to so Intel has lost money. I've been an OG AMD FX owner, P4EE, X58 and currently X79 but yet to be X99 but if it had been possible to upgrade my CPU I 100% would of.

People seem to equate having money with the willingness to waste it or spend it unnecessarily, that is not the case for the majority so I have no idea where this impression comes from. 

Brutal. Savage. Rekt.

17 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

What about running Coffee lake on Z270 and Z170? Because it would be possible after a BIOS update since manufacturers can run Kabylake (and by extension Skylake) on Z370.

I don't think it necessarily means that a Z170 could run Coffee Lake.  Even the quoted article says that's not confirmed to be possible.

I can't imagine Intel makes much money off of motherboards when compared to CPU's.  They'd sell way more CPU's if you didn't have to buy a new motherboard.  Having to replace other components is the reason I'm still using a Z97 board.  Admittedly, I also have to upgrade RAM, but even if I didn't I still wouldn't upgrade because of the cost.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

I don't think it necessarily means that a Z170 could run Coffee Lake.  Even the quoted article says that's not confirmed to be possible.

I can't imagine Intel makes much money off of motherboards when compared to CPU's.  They'd sell way more CPU's if you didn't have to buy a new motherboard. 

Metroid man is right, we don't know if Coffee lake would even work on a z170 board.

I'm not sure how much Intel makes from motherboards vs CPUs.  It might be a good idea to look in to it?

Yeah, just because KL can work on z370 doesn't mean that CL can work on z270.

The LGA has/had unused pins previously that are now used for additional power regulation. If those power regulation pins are vital to the function of CL it wouldn't be able to function on older motherboards without them.

In the reverse KL would still be theoretically compatible with the new boards because it can just ignore the new pins.

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Yeah, just because KL can work on z370 doesn't mean that CL can work on z270.

The LGA has/had unused pins previously that are now used for additional power regulation. If those power regulation pins are vital to the function of CL it wouldn't be able to function on older motherboards without them.

In the reverse KL would still be theoretically compatible with the new boards because it can just ignore the new pins.

CFL on ZXXX could be just like the whole AM3+ CPU on AM2 thing all over again.  Meaning that technically it might be able to (and with support might even happen) but the number of boards that can actually do it without bottle necking the CPU due to power regulation/core etc might not be worth the effort. 

Time will tell of course (or maybe it won't).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 9/24/2017 at 2:21 AM, DocSwag said:

I think that everyone already knew this...

This really upsets me. Where in 2017 did Intel specifically state Z270 was going to be dropped less 7 months after it was launched and that Coffee Lake would not be compatible with Z270? 

I built a new system in May 2017. When I was designing my build in March-April 2017 I had a choice between a socket 2011, 2066 or 1151. 

I realised that 2011 was dead. There would no more new CPU's launched for that socket. Whilst because I game the single core performance of the I7-7700k smashes the 2066 i9 line up. 

So when I looked at Z270 I thought, well its safe. Its a brand new chipset launched in Jan 2017. There is no way that Intel would make basically one CPU for it and then dump it. So I went out and spent a wad of cash on the Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

So tell me DocSwag, where did Intel (and for that matter Linus and the tech community on Youtube) say anywhere that Z270 would be good for just a couple CPUs and would be dumped within just a few months of launch?? 

1 hour ago, chugs said:

So tell me DocSwag, where did Intel (and for that matter Linus and the tech community on Youtube) say anywhere that Z270 would be good for just a couple CPUs and would be dumped within just a few months of launch?? 

DocSwag is probably just referring to past rumors in the last few months that indicated CL would not be supported on Z270. I don't think anyone is happy with this at all.

I'm just amazed at how lazy this feels. Intel couldn't be bothered to change the socket, even superficially.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

DocSwag is probably just referring to past rumors in the last few months that indicated CL would not be supported on Z270. I don't think anyone is happy with this at all.

at best some of us just don't care or see the issue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

at best some of us just don't care or see the issue.

I don't think anyone should realistically be happy with less than a year product life before being superseded. Not exactly a precedent we want to keep. Z270 official release according to Intel ark is Q1 2017 so three quarters is a bit of a slap in the face.

Z97 was five quarters and so was Z170. Z87 was four quarters and so was Z77.

Z67: Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge

Z77: Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge

Z87: Haswell and Haswell Refresh

Z97: Haswell, Haswell Refresh and Broadwell

Z170: Skylake and Kaby Lake

Z270: Skylake and Kaby Lake

Looking at the above the most similar in the past would be Z77 in terms of CPU support and only had one extra quarter on Z270 so I guess it's not as big of an issue it appears on the face of it, the difference being that Z370 is getting 6 core processors. Ultimately anyone who invested in Z270 isn't suddenly worse off because of this, Kaby Lake processors are still excellent and will perform very well for many years.

9 hours ago, chugs said:

They never said it but it's pretty much been confirmed by tons of rumors over the past 2 months or so.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

I don't think anyone should realistically be happy with less than a year product life before being superseded. Not exactly a precedent we want to keep. Z270 official release according to Intel ark is Q1 2017 so three quarters is a bit of a slap in the face.

Z97 was five quarters and so was Z170. Z87 was four quarters and so was Z77.

Z67: Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge

Z77: Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge

Z87: Haswell and Haswell Refresh

Z97: Haswell, Haswell Refresh and Broadwell

Z170: Skylake and Kaby Lake

Z270: Skylake and Kaby Lake

Looking at the above the most similar in the past would be Z77 in terms of CPU support and only had one extra quarter on Z270 so I guess it's not as big of an issue it appears on the face of it, the difference being that Z370 is getting 6 core processors. Ultimately anyone who invested in Z270 isn't suddenly worse off because of this, Kaby Lake processors are still excellent and will perform very well for many years.

It seems to me to be a storm in a tea cup,  How many people do you know (online or otherwise) that buy the latest CPU with the intention of upgrading said CPU only within the next 2 years?  The first time I even heard the term "place holder CPU" was in discussion regarding this very topic.  No one has ever recommended CPU only as a viable upgrade path because even with 2 year product support it isn't (the current CPU, in this case likely a 7700K, is still good for a few more years versus the cost of a new K series CPU for the hoped gain).  There are only one or two that would buy every year, but they are hard core overclockers/enthusiasts. Everyone else goes to the 4 year mark which means getting a new motherboard even with AMD.  

It seems the tone has changed hugely,  as not 1 year ago people where recommending spending extra on a Z series mobo and K series CPU to ensure a few extra years of service, now people are complaining they spent all that money and can't upgrade the CPU next year.  

5 hours ago, DocSwag said:

They never said it but it's pretty much been confirmed by tons of rumors over the past 2 months or so.

Not only that, but the rumors and history aren't far from each other (hence why they where plausible).  Expecting Intel to support KBL longer than 2 years would be just as crazy as spending all your dosh on a Z270 and then getting a Pentium.

Gee whiz, Intel is being stupid again. Who would have thought.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

The first time I even heard the term "place holder CPU" was in discussion regarding this very topic.

Probably one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, especially when people already have rather high-end working systems already. Just buy the GPUs then the reset of the system when everything is available, wasting money on an unwanted CPU is stupid.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

It seems to me to be a storm in a tea cup,  How many people do you know (online or otherwise) that buy the latest CPU with the intention of upgrading said CPU only within the next 2 years?  The first time I even heard the term "place holder CPU" was in discussion regarding this very topic.  No one has ever recommended CPU only as a viable upgrade path because even with 2 year product support it isn't (the current CPU, in this case likely a 7700K, is still good for a few more years versus the cost of a new K series CPU for the hoped gain).  There are only one or two that would buy every year, but they are hard core overclockers/enthusiasts. Everyone else goes to the 4 year mark which means getting a new motherboard even with AMD.  

If I wanted to buy a machine that couldn't be upgraded then I would have just gone out and bought a console 

No one is saying they got a 1151 CPU as a "place holder" that's just plain stupid and a bit of a strawman argument. 

I brought my motherboard with the intention of buying another CPU for it. Seeing that i got the i7-7700k there really ain't any other options for me now. I find it deeply frustrating because there was no way of me knowing that intel was only going to make one range for the Z270 chipset before dumping it.

But before you go on defending intel the worst part of this announcement is the huge fuckery on intel part....Coffee Lake can run on a 1151 Z270 motherboard. Its just Intel are blocking it. If that isn't anti-consumer i don't know what is.  

5 hours ago, chugs said:

No one is saying they got a 1151 CPU as a "place holder" that's just plain stupid and a bit of a strawman argument. 

It was mentioned on this forum.  So yes it has been said and argued as a valid point in some peoples minds.

5 hours ago, chugs said:

I brought my motherboard with the intention of buying another CPU for it. Seeing that i got the i7-7700k there really ain't any other options for me now. I find it deeply frustrating because there was no way of me knowing that intel was only going to make one range for the Z270 chipset before dumping it.

Then why did you cement yourself into it?  Maybe you were given really bad advice, but up until the rumours came out that CL was going to be on an 1151 socket everyone thought it was going to be a new socket. You essentially bought 1151 KBL based on a rumor that CL was going to be compatible. Intel never said it was, no article I ever read said it was. 

Just in case no body has told you yet, you get the best you can afford at the time you buy, trying to future proof is futile, always was and always will be.   It doesn't matter whether you are buying AMD or Intel, trying to upgrade CPU only has always been an exceedingly poor dollar/performance upgrade.  What were you hoping to achieve by upgrading just the CPU? 

5 hours ago, chugs said:

But before you go on defending intel the worst part of this announcement is the huge fuckery on intel part....Coffee Lake can run on a 1151 Z270 motherboard. Its just Intel are blocking it. If that isn't anti-consumer i don't know what is.  

No one is defending Intel, I just don't like hearing people whine over a perceived issue.  But you go on with your assumptions.  All the articles linked do not show it can run, only that it starts to post then fails, we have not got enough information to make a definitive call yet as to why.  Maybe it will turn out to be an artificial limitation, but that still doesn't change the fact that you decided to buy a 7700K before anyone knew anything.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

All the articles linked do not show it can run, only that it starts to post then fails, we have not got enough information to make a definitive call yet as to why.

Well any experienced person who does PC repair or has gone through any training on this type of thing knows computers will turn on without a CPU even installed, that's what the CPU not installed beep/post code is for. Fans will spin and everything.

Based on the above I wouldn't take any one those articles as evidence it could or should work, literally no information can be had from such testing over not even having a CPU installed.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Just in case no body has told you yet, you get the best you can afford at the time you buy, trying to future proof is futile, always was and always will be.   It doesn't matter whether you are buying AMD or Intel, trying to upgrade CPU only has always been an exceedingly poor dollar/performance upgrade.  What were you hoping to achieve by upgrading just the CPU? 

No one is defending Intel, I just don't like hearing people whine over a perceived issue. 

This many times over.

If AMD suddenly were to announce "Zen2" chips wouldn't be compatible with X370 motherboards, I wouldn't care. Several years from now, I don't see the appeal to tossing in JUST a new CPU with everything else being the same. It's not the same as upgrading a graphics card in two years, the performance return is not there.

40 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

This many times over.

If AMD suddenly were to announce "Zen2" chips wouldn't be compatible with X370 motherboards, I wouldn't care. Several years from now, I don't see the appeal to tossing in JUST a new CPU with everything else being the same. It's not the same as upgrading a graphics card in two years, the performance return is not there.

And even if/when Ryzen2 is 100% compatible, the jump from an r5 1600 to an r5 XXXX x2 (don't know what they will be called) will mostly only yield improvements on paper, Any perceptible improvement will not be enough to warrant the $350 odd bucks you'll have to drop.

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

It was mentioned on this forum.  So yes it has been said and argued as a valid point in some peoples minds.

Then why did you cement yourself into it?  Maybe you were given really bad advice, but up until the rumours came out that CL was going to be on an 1151 socket everyone thought it was going to be a new socket. You essentially bought 1151 KBL based on a rumor that CL was going to be compatible. Intel never said it was, no article I ever read said it was. 

It was used as an argument against my post. So yes I will say that it's a strawman argument and it is not what I (the vast majority of people are upset about). We didn't buy i7-7700k's as "placeholders". 

Nor did I get "really bad advice" (again making stuff up). I bought 1151 CPU because the i7-7700k represented the best CPU for my requirements. The 2066 and 2011 socket CPU's were vastly more expensive with significantly worst performance (compared to the i7-7700k) in the applications that I run. The Z270 and i7-7700k represented the best hardware. There were no other options. 

Back in April I didn't bother reading into Coffee Lake because it was just rumours and conjecture. However I bought the Z270 motherboard because I assumed that a chipset that was launched in 2017, would be usable with the next generation of CPU's to be launched (whether that be Coffee Lake or whatever came next). 

Because like I said before if I had wanted a computer I couldn't upgrade I would have just gone out and bought a console. 

I have a second computer. A 1150 using a Haswell i5-4460. I plan to buy this year a cheap Broadwell CPU. 

Oh look, a second generation CPU that works on the motherboard I bought for the Haswell chip. Holy crap, who would have thunk it? 

But chugs Mr Moose says that sooooooooo futile an idea and that I should have gone out and bought, well what? What are you suggesting I had gone and done? Not gotten a 1151 motherboard? Gone and bought a 2011 socket motherboard? I would have been just as screwed. Even far more screwed in fact because 2011 has been dumped in lieu of 2066. 

No one is defending Intel, I just don't like hearing people whine over a perceived issue.  But you go on with your assumptions.  All the articles linked do not show it can run, only that it starts to post then fails, we have not got enough information to make a definitive call yet as to why.  Maybe it will turn out to be an artificial limitation, but that still doesn't change the fact that you decided to buy a 7700K before anyone knew anything.

You're defending Intel by arguing I am wrong. 

Its not "whining" when large amounts of money are being spent and there is a clear expectation created by Intel that it will have compatibility across two generations of CPU's. I didn't create this idea. Intel has done it as someone else has posted. Indeed a key point of having a PC is the ability to upgrade components.

Regarding the limitation i guess we'll have to wait and see but with the information currently available it doesn't look good, and hey your the one that loves to follow rumours and conjecture. Tell me how is it looking? 

9 hours ago, chugs said:

It was used as an argument against my post. So yes I will say that it's a strawman argument and it is not what I (the vast majority of people are upset about). We didn't buy i7-7700k's as "placeholders". 

Edit:  Not only didn't I say it to you, but it was in a reply to another post about something he said, and I didn't even quote you when I said it.

I said the expression only came into being during this discussion, which means the idea that people buy CPU's as placeholders was never a thing.  Then you said after that:

21 hours ago, chugs said:

I brought my motherboard with the intention of buying another CPU for it. Seeing that i got the i7-7700k there really ain't any other options for me now.

So what's your problem exactly?  You bought the best you could, there was nothing better to buy then and there wasn't anything promised or even hinted at, so why would you be surprised that there isn't anything now?

9 hours ago, chugs said:

Nor did I get "really bad advice" (again making stuff up). I bought 1151 CPU because the i7-7700k represented the best CPU for my requirements. The 2066 and 2011 socket CPU's were vastly more expensive with significantly worst performance (compared to the i7-7700k) in the applications that I run. The Z270 and i7-7700k represented the best hardware. There were no other options. 

If you got the best you could afford with what was available then what is the issue?

9 hours ago, chugs said:

Back in April I didn't bother reading into Coffee Lake because it was just rumours and conjecture. However I bought the Z270 motherboard because I assumed that a chipset that was launched in 2017, would be usable with the next generation of CPU's to be launched (whether that be Coffee Lake or whatever came next). 

So you know there was no hard evidence to support the idea that CL was going to be supported on Z270 and you went a ahead and bought it on an assumption anyway, now your pissed becasue it didn't eventuate.  You see where the problem is here don't you?

9 hours ago, chugs said:

Because like I said before if I had wanted a computer I couldn't upgrade I would have just gone out and bought a console. 

As has been pointed out by a few people, anyone who's been following this for any length of time could have told you that Chipset platforms are not upgrade paths you should bank on.   Not even the AM2-AM3+ stuff from AMD was financially worthwhile and it had almost 6 years of backward compatability. 

9 hours ago, chugs said:

I have a second computer. A 1150 using a Haswell i5-4460. I plan to buy this year a cheap Broadwell CPU. 

Oh look, a second generation CPU that works on the motherboard I bought for the Haswell chip. Holy crap, who would have thunk it? 

Being facetious doesn't add to your argument.  We all know which CPU's work in which Motherboards.

9 hours ago, chugs said:

You're defending Intel by arguing I am wrong. 

Its not "whining" when large amounts of money are being spent and there is a clear expectation created by Intel that it will have compatibility across two generations of CPU's. I didn't create this idea. Intel has done it as someone else has posted. Indeed a key point of having a PC is the ability to upgrade components.

You see this as defending Intel?  Stating facts is not defending anything, it's just stating facts.   I'm sorry but you are whining because you are the one spending "large amounts of money" based on "assumptions" (by your own admission none the less).  There was no expectation created by Intel as it was all internet speculation and media hype.   There was no information release from Intel (authorised or leaked) that suggested that CL would work on current 1151 motherboards.   At best there was leaked info saying it would use the same physical socket, if you interpret that as expected support then I don't know what to tell you. 

9 hours ago, chugs said:

Regarding the limitation i guess we'll have to wait and see but with the information currently available it doesn't look good, and hey your the one that loves to follow rumours and conjecture. Tell me how is it looking? 

What rumors and conjecture am I following?  I am not sure you are following this discussion too well.

I brought my motherboard with the intention of buying another CPU for it. Seeing that i got the i7-7700k there really ain't any other options for me now.

I'm still having trouble understanding your logic here,  you bought the best CPU you could and you were intending to buy a new CPU later? Again, what where you hoping to achieve? even if CL had been compatible you would have been spending $300-400 more for a handful of FPS at best. Not too mention having just spent $$$ on a 7700K you only intend to use for a year.   And now your complaining about money being wasted.  First world problems...

I will never understand why people get so wound up by stuff like this.

Of course I build a system and use it for years before upgrading instead of chasing the proverbial carrot.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

Being facetious doesn't add to your argument.  We all know which CPU's work in which Motherboards.

What is your problem? What are you so invested in that is making you so protective of Intel's poor decision? Why aren't you supporting customers who want to run a Coffee Lake CPU on a Z270 motherboard?  

The fact that you hate people whinning about it is not a justification for shitting on people who are upset about it. Don't read these forums if it doesn't fricken affect you. I don't like NFL but you don't see me arguing in NFL forums about players who are kneeling in games and stuff. 

The fact you've chosen to ignore my point about the 1150 makes it clear that you're the one that is being facetious. Intel had multiple generation's of CPU's running on older chipsets. If this wasn't the case then you could have perhaps a small argument about my expectation about doing so with Coffee Lake. But that's not the case is it. 

There is no justifiable argument to defend Intel's anti-consumer decision to dump Z270 support on Coffee Lake CPU's. The fact you're now getting into semantics shows that your dipping to bottom of the barrel. 

Arguing simply because you can't admit that your wrong. 

I brought a CPU and motherboard that I expected would be able to upgrade sometime in the future i.e. 2019-2020. I wanted the option as was the the case with my 1150 socket motherboard to use a Broadwell CPU on it. I don't think its unreasonable, unfair or wrong to expect Intel to allow Coffee Lake to run on a 1151 Z270 motherboard. 

I'm still having trouble understanding your logic here,  you bought the best CPU you could and you were intending to buy a new CPU later? Again, what where you hoping to achieve? even if CL had been compatible you would have been spending $300-400 more for a handful of FPS at best. Not too mention having just spent $$$ on a 7700K you only intend to use for a year.   And now your complaining about money being wasted.  First world problems...

edit: (added in after I re-read your comment and noticed this pile of crap) 

Where did I ever say that I was going to dump my i7-7700k after one year??? You seem to make things up as you go along to justify your inane and vexatious arguments. I love how, to win the argument you make me out to be some rich snotty asshole who can spend hundreds/thousands on computers every year. 

I want to upgrade my CPU on my Z270 motherboard sometime in the future. I don't know exactly but if its anything like my Haswell system probably in 2020. I would love to buy an old Coffee Lake CPU and put it into the system to give it a bit more grunt. 

10 hours ago, Hybris5112 said:

I will never understand why people get so wound up by stuff like this.

Of course I build a system and use it for years before upgrading instead of chasing the proverbial carrot.

huh? Wound up? Are we talking about a football team losing the big championship final's? No we're talking about a substantial investment into a product that has been dropped by a vendor when it's clear that technically speaking the vendors next CPU can run on the older hardware. 

We're not splitting hairs on something that costs a few bucks. 

And NO ONE is saying that they are dumping their i7-7700k in 2017 because we want a Coffee Lake CPU. 

But you know what. It doesn't matter even if they did want to do that. It doesn't make what Intel has done any less anti-consumer. 

On 9/23/2017 at 2:05 PM, Mooshi said:

To be completely honest here, once my system is 4+ years old, I have zero desire to plop a modern processor into it and would have already had plans for a full platform upgrade. In the grand scheme of things, this is a non issue.

Ehh, if 2 -3 years from now I feel like I suddenly want/need more single-thread performance/clockspeed than what my 1600X can currently offer me, and Zen2 will give that to me with only a CPU purchase and maybe updating the BIOS, I'll gladly do it.

Changing a GPU takes 5 minutes plus however long it takes to install drivers, and chances are I'll have already upgraded it at that point.

Changing a CPU takes like 5 mins plus however long it takes you to clean/reapply thermal paste.

Rebuilding a whole system is a LOT more involved, and I generally will only do platform upgrades when I want new features (DDR4 vs DDR3, m.2 and pci express SSD's, etc).  If I already have those things, I'd much rather throw a GPU or CPU upgrade at it.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.