How many of you actually buy windows? Be honest please

zindan
Just now, knightslugger said:

you've gone through 10+ motherboards?

Yes... The LAN PC is 4 or something, main build is another two and then I have activated it on another atleast 3 that I have played with and then sold except for the AM3 one, I'm keeping that one for a fun future thing I might do

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 still.  Once depleted, I will buy Windows 10 disk from Ebay. 

been using windows un activated for like 2 years 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

I buy it, from Amazon if I ever need it. There are valid keys from Germany for Win 10 on it for minimal amounts.

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Yes... The LAN PC is 4 or something, main build is another two and then I have activated it on another atleast 3 that I have played with and then sold except for the AM3 one, I'm keeping that one for a fun future thing I might do

you have the golden ticket...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I paid for Windows, for both WinXP Pro and Win7 Ultimate. And not the cheaper OEM version, I got the Retail versions, that were over 300 canadian rupee each. (I also bought Windows 8 when Microsoft really wanted people to upgrade, paid like, $15 for it, straight from Microsoft, used it for a day and reverted back to Win7 Ult, that OS was a mistake)

What's wrong with supporting a product that I would be using for YEARS to come?

Especially for something as important as an OS, whereas if I just get some random ISO of the OS on the internet and cracked it, I'm supposed to trust whoever made that crack to not have pulled a fast one on everyone by adding a little "extra" to it that nobody knows about. At least this way I know that other than Microsoft, ain't nobody keylogging my credit card. xD...o.O

I get that it's expensive, but no one is saying you should go out and buy it at full price like I did, these days there's plenty of ways to get a legitimate copy of Windows without paying more than $50.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

windows 3.1, yes

95, yes and no

98, yes and no

2000, yes and no

xp, yes and no

Vista, . . . yes . . why?

10, no, insider preview build rocking the watermark

I had an illegal copy of Windows 8.1 which I upgraded to Windows 10 when that was perfectly free and encouraged. Later I had to replace my motherboard and Windows refused to activate afterwards. I chose to go through all the hoops and contacted Microsoft, even allowed them a remote connection to my computer to troubleshoot the issue, but they were as unwilling to say anything as I was to admit that I had used illegal 8.1 previously. I don't think this should have been as big of a problem, since I'm fully aware that there are keys that are specific to the hardware (namely motherboard), which I think should have been an easy thing for the support to point out since I told them that my hardware had changed. Instead they kept asking me for proof of purchase for Windows 8.1 (perfectly reasonable, but I thing we both knew what the issue was).

This led me to purchase my first even remotely (still far from) legitimate copy of Windows (from Kinguin). It works, and I'm never again contacting Microsoft support. They weren't unreasonable, I'm just far from satisfied enough to throw 100+ euros at them for Windows. (Yes, I honestly use MacOS much more, Windows just happens to be the little evil I have to endure for a few games (and staring at a watermark doesn't meet my desire for premium). I don't hate Microsoft, I prefer Xbox over PS, but Windows just is a mess I don't value very much.)

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

you have the golden ticket...

Also had a bugged out buss ticket a while back, sadly lost it so now I have to pay again... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

It's a one time purchase that works for everything else so why not.

Hello

Most people here on this forum have a legit version of Windows, if you wonder.

They are a variety of ways to get a license for reduce price or even free legally (such as being a student in a college/university department that are registered as MSDNAA/DreamSpark Premium/Ignite). Similar to Office (if you have a school/college/university e-mail you have Office 365 for free). Some work places sales licenses for cheap or give it for free as a employee perks as well.

Some fully pay it, 'cause to be honest, at $100 or so, considering that this is the software you use the most, for minimum 3 years, then this is a pretty sweet deal. New games are 60$, and FAR FAR FAR simpler software with much less support can cost $300 to even several thousands of dollars.

Honestly, there is no reason to pirate Windows:

• The OS is the most important thing. Else your computer is a door stop. Latest version of any OS you pick ensure maximum compatibility with your new hardware and support all its latest features.
  • As mentioned, you use it the most... If you play 200h of a game, you use Windows 200h at the same time, as it runs your games. It provides the platfrm for the game to operate.
  • It provides security and protection (ie: the software you use, including game doesn't need to handle that part... well.. yes.. but some levels only depending on its capabilities and it has to be responsible software and not trash your system)
  • Getting it illegally can contain or add undetectable viruses, rootkits, spyware, and/or malware which can compromise not only your system, your identity, but also your network. Not worth it in my opinion.
  • If you can afford a gaming system, you can afford Windows.

38 minutes ago, zindan said:

How many of you actually pay 60-70$ for windows? or any money at all? 
Because this is ridiculus 

https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/programvara/operativsystem/microsoft-win-10-pro-64-bit-oem-dvdse/221321.9359/?utm_source=prisjakt.nu&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=prisjakt_prisjamforelse

That's 200$ for windows in sweden I mean what the actual fuck ?

you can buy a Win10 PRO product code and just use that. G2A has many and one of my Steam friends buy there all the time for his fam, games and software.  Yes there are some schemers there too.

33 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I buy it, officer.

yeah and i have the receipt until last month when i got rid of it.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Honestly, i always have a USB on my keyring with a hooky 6 in 1 ESD windows installer. I use it for both sketchy and legit installations, as the smartass who compiled it made it the cleanest copy of windows i have ever seen, all telemetry disabled, and no bloatware. Basically i just select the pre-activated option if im feeling nefarious, and select the non activated version if the client in question happens to have a legit key. 

Its a fine line to walk but i have awesome balance

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

I just buy retail. I know there are sites like kinguin where you can get them cheaper, but as fa as software is concerned, windows pricing is not very expensive at all so adding risk to save money a few dollars isn't worth it imo. Less hassle than trying to reactivate oem keys too, and if the specific use case for a particular PC doesn't justify paying for windows, i just don't and use it unactivated. My test bench and trash computer that serves as a mad scientist guinea pig are running unactivated windows for example.

If you consider a $750 course giving me software as free, then yea I got it for free.

Took a CompTIA A+ course because it's part of my degree and got a bunch of software out of it, kind of neat. I've been rocking Windows 10 Education for awhile now because of it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Got it free when I was scammed the first time I bought a gaming PC lol $800 FX6300 and 750TI that would "play any game including the latest BF3, on max settings!!!" when in fact it could barely play CS GO lol

Seriously? I'm not saying you didn't get ripped off, but a 750 Ti should be able to play a lot more than CS:GO.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

I bought a windows 7 key back in 2011. I got the free Windows 10 upgrade key as well. I'm still using windows 7 though.

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

Purchased a Windows 10 Pro license with a digital signature so I can easily swap it out to a different computer when I upgrade... Hate having to go through upgrade installs and didn't want to have to put up with the 7 to 10 upgrade stuff...  

I did 3 times now at retail don't trust web site offers won't need anymore me hopes!

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

38 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Seriously? I'm not saying you didn't get ripped off, but a 750 Ti should be able to play a lot more than CS:GO.

The MSI OC 750TI i had had no pcie power and after my first overclocking attempt it promptly locked itself at 800MHz iirc and never, ever, moved from that. (might have been 400 something MHz... Don't remember) Either way it was fucking shit

Builds:

Spoiler

There is no need to pay for Windows because I would never even consider installing Windows on my computer. :P

33 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

The MSI OC 750TI i had had no pcie power and after my first overclocking attempt it promptly locked itself at 800MHz iirc and never, ever, moved from that. (might have been 400 something MHz... Don't remember) Either way it was fucking shit

Mine doesn't have PCIe power either but it plays fine. Can't overclock it though, it gets locked at like 400MHz as well. Doesn't really matter, performs well enough w/o OC.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

I used to buy physical OEM packs as they're cheaper than physical retail packs by a fair margin, but recently I tried the really cheap Win10 pro keys on ebay, like US$5 equivalent. They have tons of positive feedback, and on two different occasions with two different sellers, the key worked for activation and has remained active since. I created my own install media using MS' tool so I know it is clean. The listings usually claim compliance with MS OEM transfer rules and can include the hardware associated with the licence at extra cost, so no one goes for it. I notice the listings don't always last long, so I think they are getting pulled behind the scenes, further suggesting they might not be exactly MS approved.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible