How many of you actually buy windows? Be honest please

zindan

I have bought 2 Windows myself. Both physical OEM copies. So about half-price compared to retails. Both have really paid themselves already. Vista has been in use since 2008, 9 years. Which means at €80 its well under €10 per year. Even retail with €150 would be reasonable with €17 per year. Win7 with key registered for free Win10 upgrade has been with me for 6 years. Also OEM physical copy. Its on 3rd mobo at this point. I'm at the point financially that I will get retail version of new OS for €120-150 when next need comes.

Imo if one has money to get $300 GPU for 2-5 yeears, they have money to pay $120 for 7-10 year OS.

21 hours ago, tatte said:

(Yes, I honestly use MacOS much more, Windows just happens to be the little evil I have to endure for a few games (and staring at a watermark doesn't meet my desire for premium). I don't hate Microsoft, I prefer Xbox over PS, but Windows just is a mess I don't value very much.)

You do realize that macOS is much more expensive OS than Windows? Essentially you are paying same amount for hardware, and even design with $2300 Macbook than you are for $1500 HP/Dell laptop. Maybe you pay $200 for Apple brand, but rest is prestige of having OS made for hardware.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I actually just bought windows 10, it was 1149kr on webbhallen for a USB version of it

Case: Corsair Graphite 760T || PSU: Corsair RM650i || Mobo: Asus RoG Strix Z270E || CPU: Intel i5-7600K @4.8GHz || Cooler: Corsair H110i v2 || RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz 16GB White LED || GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB GAMING X || SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, Samsung MZ1280 M.2 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You do realize that macOS is much more expensive OS than Windows? Essentially you are paying same amount for hardware, and even design with $2300 Macbook than you are for $1500 HP/Dell laptop. Maybe you pay $200 for Apple brand, but rest is prestige of having OS made for hardware.

No, I don't. Please be the nth person to explain all the reasons why Mac is worse than PC without anyone asking. I'm sure you'll have some unique insights every Mac user hasn't heard over and over yet.

Steering wheel of a Bentley is much more expensive than a steering wheel of a Lada. With both you'll still be adhering to the same speed limits, so obviously everyone should just get the Lada.

Just now, tatte said:

No, I don't. Please be the nth person to explain all the reasons why Mac is worse than PC without anyone asking. I'm sure you'll have some unique insights every Mac user hasn't heard over and over yet.

I don't bother and this isn't about that. But you are saying that paying $150 for Windows is somehow worse than paying same or more for macOS. Mac IS PC in hearth. Same hardware, same basic idea. Difference being its OS made to work just that hardware Macs use. I don't hate Macs or have anything against people using them. Just that mentality where you are willing to pay for macOS when it comes with hardware but not for Windows.

So you be the one explaining me why you are willing to pay more for macOS than for retail Windows which you can use on any desktop PC hardware you choose.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 8/11/2017 at 10:27 AM, zindan said:

How many of you actually pay 60-70$ for windows? or any money at all? 
Because this is ridiculus 

https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/programvara/operativsystem/microsoft-win-10-pro-64-bit-oem-dvdse/221321.9359/?utm_source=prisjakt.nu&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=prisjakt_prisjamforelse

That's 200$ for windows in sweden I mean what the actual fuck ?

It was free!  Oh unless you were one of the silly people who desperately clung on to XP or Vista or even Win 7, and then missed out on the free upgrade of course!  You shouldn't have joined the party so incredibly late!

On 8/12/2017 at 11:50 AM, tatte said:

Steering wheel of a Bentley is much more expensive than a steering wheel of a Lada. With both you'll still be adhering to the same speed limits, so obviously everyone should just get the Lada.

That is officially the most elitist and contrived analogy that I have ever had the misfortune to read!  Don't sit down, as apparently your butt hurts too much...

On 8/11/2017 at 11:27 AM, zindan said:

How many of you actually pay 60-70$ for windows? or any money at all? 
Because this is ridiculus 

https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/programvara/operativsystem/microsoft-win-10-pro-64-bit-oem-dvdse/221321.9359/?utm_source=prisjakt.nu&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=prisjakt_prisjamforelse

That's 200$ for windows in sweden I mean what the actual fuck ?

In the US its like $119 for home and like $199 for pro. Yes I actually bought Windows. Though it was Windows 7 Home. Costed me like $211 for the full retail copy. All my Windows 10 installs are upgrades under the free upgrade program when that was a thing. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

i always buy the retail download version from the microsoft store. windows 10 home is about €135 where i live.

She/Her

I use kinguin mostly.

( s l m g r . v b s  / r e a r m )

"I'm not really that old, I'm just 18 + shipping" -Unknown

Please tell me why you aren't on dark theme already.

Herro my dark theme brothers.

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro Mid-2012 Non-Retinai7-3720QM, 8GB DDR3L-1600, 250GB SSD, macOS 10.13

Phone: iPhone 7 Plus that is patiently waiting to be jailbroken.

• 11 months later...

I paid for my copies of Windows 7: two retail copies of Win 7 Ultimate, two OEM copies of Win 7 Pro, and one retail copy of Win 7 Home Premium.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

-= Locked =-

Promoting or suggesting piracy is not allowed.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER