7900X Coming In Hot?!

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

What? When did I say that AMD sucks or something like that? Ryzen is amazing, but X299 is better. Period. Does it cost more? Yes, but the 6900K also cost more than the 1800X, but despite that AMD compared the 1800X to it. 

Well since intel didn't call AMD's bluff back then... look at the state x299 is in now.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, XenosTech said:

"People who buy these chips don't care about cost." - Some guy on this forum

Only one guy? I'm sure more than one has said it. Probably me too in jest lol.

Just now, Pohernori said:

haha that's like saying the 5960X and 6900K are meant to compete with the 7820X

Yes they are :P Why aren't they?

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

AS LONG AS IT BEATS RYZEN 

This is what I care about :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

On comparing Ryzen 7 to the new HEDT stack, that's quite fair.  It also highlights the issues that X299 has.  Which is Intel's biggest problem.  Sandy Bridge was a revolutionary design, and they've been tinkering for 6(!) years since, at least in single threaded performance.  The efficiency of their multi-threading has increased a good bit, but the X299 is pretty much just a higher-clocked Broadwell-E. 

It's why Ryzen comes so close to Broadwell-E chips and if not for the clocks, Skylake isn't very much ahead either. If GloFo's 14nm process could reasonably OC to 5 Ghz, we'd get a brutal insight into how sideways Intel has been since Sandy Bridge.

Just now, leadeater said:

Don't mind me just shooting blanks over here.

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Obviously... If they cared about cost, they wouldn't have bought an X299 CPU... Ryzen is a much better option if you are on a budget. X299 is for those who want the best possible performance and don't mind spending 2x more for it :P

Everyone has budget and just because I can afford something doesn't mean I should buy it. Business sure as hell don't buy everything they can afford for obvious reasons.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yes they are :P Why aren't they?

OH Hoooo bookmarked :D

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, XenosTech said:

Everyone has budget and just because I can afford something doesn't mean I should buy it. Business sure as hell don't buy everything they can afford for obvious reasons.

You didn't read this part :D

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

X299 is for those who want the best possible performance and don't mind spending 2x more for it

If want to spend 2x more for 30-35% better performance is up to you.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If it were me I'd care way more about these dangerous thermals than beating a chip that costs less than half as much by a mediocre amount xD 

On the topic of cost are you the bill payer for the electricity? If you aren't it is probably a good idea to run this by them before anyone buys one of these thirsty chips, will be expensive to run long term

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

If you aren't it is probably a good idea to run this by them before anyone buys one of these thirsty chips, will be expensive to run long term

Nah, only if you overclock them and use AVX-512 all day :P

If want to spend 2x more for 30-35% better performance is up to you.

Again off topic as its not related to op at all but its more like 16% average at stock as discussed the other day. Also you won't get much additional % because overclocking will be severely limited without a delid due to thermals. So lets all keep those ever inflating %s under control boys and girls ;) 

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Again off topic as its not related to op at all but its more like 16% average at stock as discussed the other day. Also you won't get much additional % because overclocking will be severely limited without a delid due to thermals. So lets all keep those ever inflating %s under control boys and girls ;) 

I think you forgot that the 7820X can overclock to 4.4-4.8GHz without a delid :P

7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I think you forgot that the 7820X can overclock to 4.4-4.8GHz without a delid

I think you forgot the subject of this thread. It can't without becoming a furnace. (Yes 7820X too not just 7900X). On top of that those are reviewer samples so the consumer chips (outside of silicon lottery) will only overclock to around 4.6 before delid. Also it would be boosting to 4.3 anyway at stock so you won't see huge gains by clocking to 4.4-4.6. Lets say you can do this? That is 20% maybe in some applications if you get lucky 20-25 but not 30-35 those %s were highlyyyy inflated for purchase justification. Also far lower %s in gaming those previous %s were workstation.

31 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yep @knightslugger was using 1.45V on his 1700X and it died after a few months

27 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I'm sure I saw him post about being above 1.5V. Didn't know it died. R.I.P

I donno if it's dead, but it sure didn't like being on for very long and I returned it to stock settings. still only long enough to get through a CB15 run and sometimes only to the desktop. RMAd it, we'll see what i get back.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

I donno if it's dead, but it sure didn't like being on for very long and I returned it to stock settings. still only long enough to get through a CB15 run and sometimes only to the desktop. RMAd it, we'll see what i get back.

lol GL xD 

Just now, tom_w141 said:

lol GL xD 

well you just don't know for sure until you learn it the hard way

...then you know and can pass that lesson on...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I've never seen someone so obsessed with saying "keep it on topic." God, I feel like my mother is in here. xD 

@tom_w141 I'm going to follow you... just for intents and purposes to call you out every time you mention Intel in an AMD thread. You know... to "keep things on topic." xD 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Just now, knightslugger said:

well you just don't know for sure until you learn it the hard way

...then you know and can pass that lesson on...

I think it will work, it is rumoured an 1800X costs them $34 due to insane yields so a replacement shouldn't be too much.

24 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The funniest thing about this thread is that, as usual with LTT, those who would never buy this platform based on lack of desire or lack of means tend to have the biggest opinions about it.  Weird how that works, but it happens with a lot of things in life.  God forbid that someone buys a house in my neighborhood and pays more then the neighbors.  They'll be the talk amongst all of the wives.  Yet, I'm pretty sure that those folks living in that fancier house could give a shit less about what the neighbors are saying.

Despite how bad we try to portray Skylake-X in the worst possible ways, Skylake X will sell very well.  

The same folks tried the same continued product bashing with the 7700k.    "OMG it's SO FUCKING HOT"  "OMG, Intel says not to overclock it."  "OMG, the Ryzen XXX is such a better value"  Guess what has been and remains the #1 selling chip?  You guessed it.  The 7700k.  Amazing.

The talk of Skylake-X is more of general excitement on a much larger forum that I am a member of.  Of course over there, folks tend to run much more aggressive systems then commonly seen on LTT.  

My mom used to tell me that misery loves company.

@tom_w141 This particular type thing is what you obviously enjoy doing more than anyone I've seen to date.  It's sad man. 

That is 20% maybe in some applications 20-25 but not 30-35 those %s were highlyyyy inflated for purchase justification.

16% at the same frequency (3.6GHz) the 7820X at 4.5GHz is clocked 12% higher, at 4.8GHz it's clocked 20% higher. So 30-35% isn't inflated

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I think you forgot the subject of this thread. 

I think you forgot the subject of this thread. Let me remind you:

"7900X Coming In Hot?!"

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

It can't without becoming a furnace.

At 1.22V it only got up to 72C.... That's not hot at all

5 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

On top of that those are reviewer samples so the consumer chips (outside of silicon lottery) will only overclock to around 4.6 before delid. 

Reviewer Samples are engineering samples, which usually overclock worse than consumer chips......

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

I've never seen someone so obsessed with saying "keep it on topic." God, I feel like my mother is in here. xD 

@tom_w141 I'm going to follow you... just for intents and purposes to call you out every time you mention Intel in an AMD thread. You know... to "keep things on topic." xD 

If it was AMD thermals people wanted to discuss that'd be fine. But people keep going toward performance to take the heat (haha punny) off the thermal situation.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

This particular type thing is what you obviously enjoy doing more then anyone I've seen to date.  It's sad man

Quoted a reputable reviewer to warn people about the thermal issues present in stock configuration? My bad? Look through the thread I've tried hard not to discuss performance or value at all. Only the subject: Thermals and to a lesser extent power draw.

If it was AMD people would have no probs reporting it.

If it was AMD thermals people wanted to discuss that'd be fine. But people keep going toward performance to take the heat (haha punny) off the thermal situation.

Yeah, you Ryzen guys love to talk about AMD's thermal performance, but when people start talking about actual CPU performance, you just keep repeating "Ryzen is better value" and "Intel is a furnace" :P

4 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

On a similar note I've never seen people so intent on changing the subject :P 

"Ryzen is better value"

Quote me saying that in this thread. I have tried harder than any of you to discuss the topic and nothing else.

Also ofc I say that the topic is about thermals, we can discuss performance in one of the hundred other threads that are about performance.