7900X Coming In Hot?!

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

Quick a negative Intel thread justify temps of 95 degrees by saying AVX. You know what? for 95 degrees? Keep your AVX512 lmao xD

"I don't use AVX, so it is useless and no one uses it." This is what I understand from what you just said

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

Their last 2 videos are anything but what they used to be. Instead of deep dive hardware benchmarking and in-depth reviews, they've reverted to childish company bashing like all the other idiots out there.

It's too bad too; me being a major Patron supporter, I'm thinking to cancel that support if they're going to resort to stupid shit.

"childish company bashing"

You mean calling out absolute BS like you need X299 for VR, fake 12K gaming and for SLI? LMAO in denial. When mere days ago they were being used to in X299 threads in support of Intel.

10 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

So to share and interesting experience with Gamer's Nexus.  I pointed out an obvious mistake in one of their latest videos and do you know how they handle it?  They tapped dance around their justification citing that a hardware manufacture told them that it couldn't, therefore it was impossible.  Plenty of people repeatedly told them that their statement was in fact false, but they opted not to modify or note the correction.  Based on that experience, I can see why the channel, which admittedly I used to respect, continues to grow at a snails pace.  

What specifically was it that they had stated incorrectly? Gamers Nexus has historically had a good reputation, although I do get the impression they do not like to be contradicted.

i5-6600K @ 4.5 GHz |I| Hyper 212 EVO |I| ASUS STRIX Z270E |I| 8 GB DDR4 HyperX FURY
GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6GB @ 2088 MHz
DEEPCOOL TESSERACT WH |I| EVGA 500 W1 80+
1TB 7200rpm HDD |I| 120GB SSD
GN246HL 144Hz 1080p

Corsair K70 LUX RGB |I| Corsair M65 Pro RGB
PCPP: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/DHzYcf

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I am 99% sure that reviewers who get 95C and 300W of power draw are using Prime95 with AVX enabled. Which makes temps and power consumption skyrocket. 

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Yet @tom_w141 wants to focus on the topic as if this doesn't play a role. 

As said in the video this is the preview. It will have its own in depth video then we can see what the conditions were and one of us can eat our words. Even if it was an AVX workload 95 degrees is just too high so i'll be interested in how people who don't delid manage :) 

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Average OCs for Ryzen:

http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/ryzen_7_1800x/

http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/ryzen_7_1700x/

http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/ryzen_7_1700/

http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/ryzen_5_1600x/

http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/ryzen_5_1600/

As you can see they are between 3.9-4GHz. Very few Ryzen CPUs can go higher than 4GHz and even if they do they can't go higher than 4.1GHz

Average OC is not Max OC ;)

I was mostly talking about the 7820X and the 7800X and so far it looks like 4.5GHz is possible with 1.2-1.25V. And if you delid them you should be able to push them to 4.8-5GHz

All I care about is maximum performance. If AMD performed better, I would not even consider X299

So people shouldn't compare the 7700K to the 7900X? Because one is mainstream and the other is HEDT? I agree that the 7900X isn't meant to compete with Ryzen, but the 7820X and the 7800X definitely are....

Well, generalizing like that makes someone who doesn't entirely know what we're talking about think that all Skylake-X will OC that well, and newsflash: they won't :P 18 cores with Intel's current architectural efficiency will be... Very power-hungry and run very hot...

I doubt that the 7820X and 7800X aren't meant to compete with TR, look at the lineup:

• 1998X 16c/32t 3.5ghz (3.9boost) 155w
  • 1998 16c/32t 3.2ghz (3.6boost) 155w
  • 1977X 14c/28t 3.5ghz (4.0boost) 155w
  • 1977 14c/28t 3.2ghz (3.7boost) 155w
  • 1976X 12c/24t 3.6ghz (4.1boost) 125w
  • 1956X 12c/24t 3.2ghz (3.8boost) 125w
  • 1956 12c/24t 3.0ghz (3.7boost) 125w
  • 1955X 10c/20t 3.6ghz (4.0boost) 125w
  • 1955 10c/20t 3.1ghz (3.7boost) 125W

I am almost 100% certain that the cheapest TR will cost around the 7820X price with more cores onboard, and that is what you should base competitiveness on. Price. So what that a 1000$ CPU is faster than a 500$ CPU if you can get two 500$ CPUs for that kind of money? Pricing determines such competitiveness.

An undeniable reason how those two chips you mentioned can't compete with Ryzen? TCO (Total Cost of Ownership): Expensive and fancy cooling needed for OC, very expensive motherboards, RAID keys if you need RAID arrays, the CPU price itself and increased power draw over the time make such setup A LOT more expensive... Of course, it will be faster, but would it be worth that difference in cost? From the value point of view, definitely not...

You can have NVMe RAID using the chipset lanes....

Let me quote this pcworld.com article on RAID and X299...

dsc06470-100724330-large.jpg

That little dongle is a key that Intel will sell to consumers. Out of the box, if you have Intel drives, an Asus Hyper M.2, and a Skylake-X, you can build a RAID 0 partition. But if you want to enable RAID 1, RAID 5, or other RAID schemes with redundancy to protect your data, you have to buy this Intel key to enable it. If you scroll back to the first BIOS shot, you can see the “premium” mode is enabled, which means it supports the premium RAID support.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, VagabondWraith said:

Their last 2 videos are anything but what they used to be. Instead of deep dive hardware benchmarking and in-depth reviews, they've reverted to childish company bashing like all the other idiots out there.

It's too bad too; me being a major Patron supporter, I'm thinking to cancel that support if they're going to resort to stupid shit.

Yeah, I like Steve and his monotone delivery of information.  It almost makes it feel more accurate.  xD

Unfortunately, after what I saw with the unwillingness to fix a small, but completely wrong statement, I no longer hold them in such high regard.  I'll still watch, but more cautiously.  

They got bashed so hard by the community for all the "bad" shit they reported on Ryzen performance initially and spent a lot of time justifying their position.  Now it seems like they have to go a little overboard the other way to draw in some of that lost viewer base.  I get it, but damn.  Now they just aren't really growing much as a channel.  

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

"I don't use AVX, so it is useless and no one uses it." This is what I understand from what you just said

Enjoy 95 degrees and your AVX :) I'm happy for you if you are satisfied with those temps regardless of workload, good for you man :) 

22 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah, you Ryzen guys love to talk about AMD's thermal performance, but when people start talking about actual CPU performance, you just keep repeating "Ryzen is better value" and "Intel is a furnace" :P

OH LORD I LOVE THIS BIT 

8/10 guys arguing for the component don't even have the money for the component

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Yeah, I like Steve and his monotone delivery of information.  It almost makes it feel more accurate.  xD

Unfortunately, after what I saw with the unwillingness to fix a small, but completely wrong statement, I no longer hold them in such high regard.  I'll still watch, but more cautiously.  

They got bashed so hard by the community for all the "bad" shit they reported on Ryzen performance initially and spent a lot of time justifying their position.  Now it seems like they have to go a little overboard the other way to draw in some of that lost viewer base.  I get it, but damn.  Now they just aren't really growing much as a channel.  

Whatever makes you feel better I'm sure these thermal issues shown by GN, LTT and OC3D are imaginary and of course its the biased channel not the product! Glorious Intel could never put a foot wrong. Wish I had seen that *eyes open* a whole new worldddddd

Edited by tom_w141

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

OH LORD I LOVE THIS BIT 

trolls

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, generalizing like that makes someone who doesn't entirely know what we're talking about think that all Skylake-X will OC that well, and newsflash: they won't :P18 cores with Intel's current architectural efficiency will be... Very power-hungry and run very hot...

The 18 core isn't even announced yet :P (We only know its name xD)

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

An undeniable reason how those two chips you mentioned can't compete with Ryzen? TCO (Total Cost of Ownership): Expensive and fancy cooling needed for OC, very expensive motherboards, RAID keys if you need RAID arrays, the CPU price itself and increased power draw over the time make such setup A LOT more expensive... Of course, it will be faster, but would it be worth that difference in cost? From the value point of view, definitely not...

Well, if you compare X299 core to core with AMD's CPUs, the 7820X and the 7800X are meant to compete with the  1800X and 1600X respectively. If you compare X299 price to price with AMD, then yes, Threadripper is the competitor

5 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Let me quote this pcworld.com article on RAID and X299...

I am pretty sure that this was a rumor. You can have NVMe RAID using chipset lanes, but you need a VROC key if you want to use CPU lanes for RAID

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

OH LORD I LOVE THIS BIT 

That can be said both way, right?  :D

@Morgan MLGman don't waste your time read the last couple of pages @done12many2 has shown us that there is a conspiracy against Intel by all the tech reviewers showing the same "issue" but the reviewer Cabal has been exposed and has tried to slight our beloved Intel and the issues are false. Its the reviewers that are wrong not the product! This IS Intel afterall, they love us.

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I don't get it? For me an R7 costs $280 and a 7820X costs $300 do you not think I have $20? xD 

you forgot the 

"AS LONG AS IT BEATS RYZEN"

who gives a shit about the value? 

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

That can be said both way, right?  :D

HA you think 10/10 guys can afford the 16 core Threadripper + 4000Mhz RAM + Asus Zenith? 

no

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

I am pretty sure that this was a rumor. You can have NVMe RAID using chipset lanes, but you need a VROC key if you want to use CPU lanes for RAID

Yes, if people spent more time reading through already available manuals, they would see that the VROC key issues only comes into play if you want to use the CPU RAID.  The chipset still supports NVMe RAID on the DMI 3.0 side of things.  The whole "must buy a key" was completely exaggerated because it increases views.  NVMe RAID through IRST is no different then it is on the current Z270 plaform. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.21ccb66184210be3ec8c39dcc9673c24.JPG

Capture1.thumb.JPG.b90de68c3f0e1889e80909c6c0546223.JPG

Just now, Pohernori said:

you forgot the 

"AS LONG AS IT BEATS RYZEN"

who gives a shit about the value? 

HA you think 10/10 guys can afford the 16 core Threadripper + 4000Mhz RAM + Asus Zenith? 

no

He is buying a 7900X so yes he could afford the 16C Threadripper and still have $150 :P 

Just now, done12many2 said:

Yes, if people spent more time reading through already available manuals

Why would they do that? They can just spend their time hating on Intel! Much better! /s

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

Great point.  I hope they can bud.  It would be great for everyone.  

If not, the future is still looking much better for us all. 

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Why would they do that? They can just spend their time hating on Intel! Much better! /s

Why discuss the issue at hand when we can carry on pretending its not there? I'm sure if you imagine hard enough your 7820X will cool down :P 

You guys make good entertainment over a spot of bay leaf tea

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

Why discuss the issue at hand when we can carry on pretending its not there? I'm sure if you imagine hard enough your 7820X will cool down :P 

It might right after it gets done outperforming a 1700X. xD

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Why discuss the issue at hand when we can carry on pretending its not there? 

It speaks volumes about the quality of the Intel silicon yield that our i7-7820X was capable of 4.8 GHz at 1.22v and 5 GHz at 1.3v. Naturally with this many cores in play at these clock speeds the i7-7820X requires a decent amount of cooling to keep everything under wraps, but even at these speeds we saw 72°C at 1.2v 

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/intel_core_i7_7820x_skylake_x_review/3

Doesn't look like an issue to me

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Doesn't look like an issue to me

When yours is a non reviewer sample and you go above 1.25V you may see the issue ;) Besides even 72 is near the higher end of acceptable. Like I said best of luck and this isn't personally aimed at anyone the OP is just bringing to light the thermal issues with these CPUs because they aren't soldered.