7900X Coming In Hot?!

Just now, techstorm970 said:

What is TIM, exactly?

Thermal Interface Material

It is what transfers the heat from the die to the IHS. Solder and Thermal pastes are both kinds of TIM. Solder is metal so it is the best for heat transfer and because high core count CPUs have more cores and get hotter they need a better thermal solution like solder, traditionally these have been soldered like Ryzen and X99 before Intel stopped bothering. With X299 they decided to use the same paste and adhesive they use in the notorious 7700k. The reason this is a bad decision is because as you can see by the 1st post, paste is no where near as thermally efficient as solder and therefore these higher core count CPUs are getting dangerously hot unless they are delidding. Delidding is the process of removing the IHS and replacing the TIM with a premium solution (as you would expect on a premium product). Doing this improves temperatures dramatically and allows for further overclocking.

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I know, it is bad, but I first thought that 95C was core temps. (Which is VERY bad) But then I realized that it was the package temp, so meh. Not that big of a deal

It's a big deal to @tom_w141 who actually never answered my question about if he was familiar with Intel package temps, but tried to call me out for not answering something, which I did.  So let's call that the two examples that he avoided right before telling me that I was avoiding.  Too funny. 

You see talking about package temps, whether he's familiar with them or not is irrelevant.  That fact that Gamer's Nexus is reporting it in a negative way is what's got his full attention.  

12 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Makes me wonder if the 7820X was the same price as the 1700, and soldered, would the AMD fangirls really consider Intel? Doubtful. They have come from hiding in defense of a good (not great) product after all these years.

But the pricing and solder are precise reasons why they dont consider intel. If those two factors didnt exist then there wouldnt even be a discussion. But its because its way cheaper and soldered that its such a big deal. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Thermal Interface Material

Thanks. :) Google was not being helpful. xD 

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

1 minute ago, goodtofufriday said:

But the pricing and solder are precise reasons why they dont consider intel. If those two factors didnt exist then there wouldnt even be a discussion. But its because its way cheaper and soldered that its such a big deal. 

I don't believe that to be the reason, but valid point.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

7 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Yup (divide by 2 and you should have your us price) and this is the cheapest you can get them here at anywhere else the markup is stupid

Yeah that sucks pretty bad man.  

I have an idea.  Everyone move to the US?

8 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

This would be their excuse: "X299 motherboards are way too expensive"

Lol I'd drop my current x99 system in a heartbeat if Intel did that!

Only reason I'm waiting is because of temps (no solder), and overall price.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, done12many2 said:

Yeah that sucks pretty bad man.  

I have an idea.  Everyone move to the US?

No thanks, I'm moving to canada sometime in the not so distant future since all of my relatives in the US died in the last year.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

8 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

It's a big deal to @tom_w141 who actually never answered my question about if he was familiar with Intel package temps, but tried to call me out for not answering something, which I did.  So let's call that the two examples that he avoided right before telling me that I was avoiding.  Too funny. 

You see talking about package temps, whether he's familiar with them or not is irrelevant.  That fact that Gamer's Nexus is reporting it in a negative way is what's got his full attention.  

My understanding was package was core and cpu was socket. Which would indicate package is important? Core temp would be the individual cores? correct if I'm wrong and I didn't deliberately ignore the question sorry.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

My understanding was package was core and cpu was socket. Which would indicate package is important? Core temp would be the individual cores? correct if I'm wrong and I didn't deliberately ignore the question sorry.

Package is always higher on X CPUs, because they have more cores. Individual core temps are usually 5-10C cooler

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Lol I'd drop my current x99 system in a heartbeat if Intel did that!

Only reason I'm waiting is because of temps (no solder), and overall price.

Even running it at 4.3 to 4.4 should give you decent temps and a nice performance bump.   Admittedly, I'd personally run it much higher.  I'm just glad that if we choose to address the heat with more cooling, it will continue to scale higher and higher (within reason). 

Do you remember the XFR?  It was going to respond and provide us with higher clock speeds based on adequate cooling.  Then we found out that the reward was 100 MHz.  The silicon speed ran out a lot faster then the thermal limitation.  

I like having the choice to go higher, without the need to run LN2 to do so.  

Do you remember the XFR?  It was going to respond and provide us with higher clock speeds based on adequate cooling.  Then we found out that the reward was 100 MHz.  The silicon speed ran out a lot faster then the thermal limitation.  

But this wasn't an issue /s

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Quick fact: There are people ignoring the pricing aspect of X299 "because it's for HEDT & semi-enterprise" but at the same time they're ignoring the power draw which is admittedly big on Skylake-X chips, especially when using AVX-512 "because the CPU doesn't work at its max power all the time". Remember that if you're throwing that HEDT argument, someone else can say that if it's for HEDT use, then the CPU will be used to work at 100% for a lot longer than it is with a mainstream one used for gaming & web browsing, so the overall power draw will matter at the end of each month. Especially if you have 20 rigs like that in a company. Which also means a lot of heat, so adding a powerful AC solution to rooms with such PCs also adds to overall cost.

But what do I know... :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

But this wasn't an issue /s

1. No its not an issue as there is no negative consequence like I don't know? 95 degrees at a pitiful 1.275V?

2. How on Earth are we discussing XFR on a thread about thermal issues. Truly is a fan boy gift, if the floor was the topic you boys are scaling the walls xD 

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Package is not core and CPU is not socket.  Package temp is nothing more then the temperature measured between the CPU and IHS.  This temperature is a combination of heat transferring form the die along with other factors such as FIVR.  Package temps will always be considerably higher then core temps.

Zen does not measure temps in the same way.  AMD doesn't measure power in the same way.  Comparing temps between the two is generally useless in anyway.  Same with power.  

This is not to say that you want to run 95c as a constant package temp because that's dumb.  

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Package is always higher on X CPUs, because they have more cores. Individual core temps are usually 5-10C cooler

Mine are usually 10 to 15c cooler.

CPU input voltage (VCCIN) will impact package temps greatly.  

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Quick fact: There are people ignoring the pricing aspect of X299 "because it's for HEDT & semi-enterprise" but at the same time they're ignoring the power draw which is admittedly big on Skylake-X chips, especially when using AVX-512 "because the CPU doesn't work at its max power all the time". Remember that if you're throwing that HEDT argument, someone else can say that if it's for HEDT use, then the CPU will be used to work at 100% for a lot longer than it is with a mainstream one used for gaming & web browsing, so the overall power draw will matter at the end of each month. Especially if you have 20 rigs like that in a company. Which also means a lot of heat, so adding a powerful AC solution to rooms with such PCs also adds to overall cost.

But what do I know... :P

Careful Intel hate doesn't go down well here no matter how factual.

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

1. No its not an issue as there is no negative consequence like I don't know? 95 degrees at a pitiful 1.275V?

You happen to be correct, but you don't really know why your correct.  That's what makes this entire thread kinda funny.  

2. How on Earth are we discussing XFR on a thread about thermal issues. Truly is a fan boy gift, if the floor was the topic you boys are scaling the walls xD 

That response says it all.  

Mine are usually 10 to 15c cooler.

CPU input voltage (VCCIN) will impact package temps greatly.  

I doubt that GN spent a lot of time tweaking, so they probably left the VCCIN at auto. (Which could explain those insanely high package temps)

Just now, tom_w141 said:

interesting but every internet source I can see says with intel package is the total and often equal or close to your hottest core.

On mainstream, yes. On HEDT, no

12 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Just now, tom_w141 said:

interesting but every internet source I can see says with intel package is the total and often equal or close to your hottest core.

Proof that you're just making this shit up as you go.

You don't really know what the fuck package temps is, but hey, it was reported in a negative way about Intel, so you're going to post and talk about it, right?

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

On mainstream, yes. On HEDT, no

These are X99 posts i'm reading. Ironically they often involve people worrying about the high 60s. Ha if only they could see in to 2017 where 95 was acceptable just because its the new Intel norm.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Proof that you're just making this shit up as you go.

You don't really know what the fuck package temps is, but hey, it was reported in a negative way about Intel, so you're going to post and talk about it, right?

Wrong 1st quote was my understanding. Second was after searching the difference.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Wrong 1st quote was my understanding. Second was after searching the difference.

No, the point was, you don't know what's what.  But you're going to talk about it anyways.  

You never inquired any further about what is actually was as that wasn't your intent behind the thread.  

I'm glad that you understand better now though.  You're better armed for further Intel bashing.  You're welcome.