How often do you upgrade your PC components (in general)?

How often do you upgrade your PC components (in general)?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How often?

• Every 6 months
    • Every year
    • Every 2 years
    • Every 3 years
    • Every 4 years
    • Every 5 years
    • Every 6 years or more
    • I just build or buy a new system from scratch everytime
  2. 2. ...and do you think upgrading individual components is more cost effective than just buying a whole new system everytime?

• Yes
    • No

Whether you own a desktop, laptop--heck even an AIO. Whether you're a gamer, editor, 3D modeler, "corn enthusiast", whoever you are.

I know it varies from person to person, their needs, and especially their budget. But the thesis I'm working on requires numbers.

I'm also just curious because the number is all over the place elsewhere.

Whenever the games and programs I want to run start slowing down enough to the point where I want to upgrade. Currently using a system I built in 2013, the only reason I haven't upgraded is because I mostly play games from Wargaming and they still use an outdated game engine. If I were to play the new battlefields I might upgrade. Maybe every 5 or 6 years?

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

10 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

Whenever the games and programs I want to run start slowing down enough to the point where I want to upgrade. Currently using a system I built in 2013, the only reason I haven't upgraded is because I mostly play games from Wargaming and they still use an outdated game engine. If I were to play the new battlefields I might upgrade. Maybe every 5 or 6 years?

Wargaming isn't that intensive my laptop can run it but since I ran into wifi issues I can't play any wifi games but I can't vote because I haven't finished my first build

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

I budget PC replacements approximately 12 months. I build a complete system, and previous system gets reallocated as a server, media PC or render box etc.

Each system is intended to be in use 24/7 for 5-7 years before it is recycled.

I personally replace my GPU, drives, and CPU about once a season just depending on what I want to do or test. Building a new machine is usually more cost-effective to me if older parts from previous builds will be available. \

To me, it makes no sense to replace an i5 to an i7 within the same generation since the cost may not give an appreciable benefit in the long-term and getting the best CPU you can afford would be better. I would usually recommend going with a Pentium if a stronger CPU is wanted but funds are lacking since they retain the most value.

Memory, again, getting the amount you need at a high speed can usually be a better purchase versus getting the base for a few dollars savings. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Upgraded PSU because yeahidonttrustthat. $90

Upgraded invisible wi-fi adapter to WDN3800 $50

Upgraded monitor because 1600x900. $150

Upgraded my FX-4100 to a FX-6300 because it wouldn't run FO4 smoothly enough. $130

Upgraded Motherboard because VRMs aren't supposed to be that color. $130

Upgraded mystery ram to 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport $70

Upgraded my 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport to 16GB GSkill Ripjaws X because screw paging files. $100

Upgraded invisible HDD to 500GB WD Blue $50

Upgraded monitor again because ghosting. $400

Upgraded my 500GB WD Blue to a 3TB Hitachi Drivestar because ain't nobody got time for that. $90

Upgraded my HD 7950 to RX 480 because artifacting. $200

Upgraded 16 year old surge protector because glorified powerbar. $40

This was over about 2 years.

I think it depends on what you start with. It would've been cheaper to have just bought a better unit, but muh budget. Let's save money on our computers by correcting our own mistakes and investing nearly $2000 into something that should rightfully only cost $400.

If you start with something good, and something reliable, I'd say the average person probably wouldn't upgrade for about 3-5 years or so. If you're starting with something inferior, you're going to be upgrading as your needs demand. This was my case. It is a bad case.

I upgrade my GPU every 12-18 months. Ive had my CPU about 3 yrs now and can last me another 2 yrs easily.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

Upgraded from a 1080 to two 1080 Tis when they came out.

Upgraded from a HP Pavilion to a Alienware 15 R3 when it came out.

Upgraded from a 1TB HDD to a 1  TB M.2 SSD because when doing normal stuff on my laptop, it's the loudest thing in it.  Seriously, I can hear the HDD.  Now it's silent apart from the occasional fan whirr.

Upgraded from a 5930K to a 6850K.

Upgraded from a cheap 1080p monitor from Walmart to two nice LG 1440p ultrawides(in my office AT WORK).  At home I use some ROG monitor I got a good deal on.

Bought two G502's and replaced my $10 bargain brand mice that I had been using.

Bought a Note 7 when it came out and then promptly had to return it because Samsung (Best phone I've ever used IMO, not kidding).

When things start to run slow, even after a fresh install of O/S.

So I'd say every 10 years.

Roughly 3-5 years depending on what I'm doing, mostly just parts as needed. For instance I'm on majority the same platform not as in 2010, upgrade a few components on the way as needed, does what I need it to very well atm, doesn't game the best but I don't need to system to play games amazingly right now.

Whether is it cheaper or more expensive to upgrade just some components vs a new system really just depends on how often you upgrade and the quality of components you get at the time or age of the system your upgrading. A good psu might last a couple of builds or a HDD, want to add an m.2? The system might be older and need an adapter making it more expensive, I'm sure someone can think of a better example.

Personally unless they break my case,odd,monitors,keyboard/mouse,some fans,ssd's etc probably wont get upgraded until long 'obsolete' since they do what I need them to. Then again I'm also someone who used the same old beige case from my p1 until I finally got rid of the old c2d.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

I upgrade when someone wants the parts in my build more than I do.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

I upgrade when the parts I have don't give me a satisfactory experience anymore. That is about 3-4 years, depending on how much I spent on the last upgrade. My GTX 780 is beginning to show its age, and I will likely upgrade it this summer. I'm waiting to see how Vega shakes up the market. My cpu was upgraded about a year and a half ago to Skylake, and I am in no hurry to upgrade that any time soon. My storage is getting a little cramped, so a new, bigger ssd and another hard drive are also in the near future.

When I have money burning a hole in my pocket I usually pick the thing I need most and upgrade it. Maybe twice a year I make an upgrade. Next will be a GPU, then 2 more 1440p monitors, then update to whatever current intel extreme CPU and mobo, then m2 ssd. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I've had this PC for five years. Only upgrades I did were the GPU (750 TI, which died on me recently.) and 4gb Stick of RAM.

I just bought a new PSU and Case for it. Hopefully, a new GPU will be next.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

last pc was built on the fm2a85x a10-5800k (oct 2012) current build is fm2a88x-itx+  a10-7870k (may 2015)  with rx 480 added about a year later so build from scratch every 2-3yrs and upgrades rarely inbetween. nxt planned end of year or early 2018  nice crop of vega cards and ryzen apus out by then + hopefully more optimization

3 hours ago, MixEcoSystem said:

Whether you own a desktop, laptop--heck even an AIO. Whether you're a gamer, editor, 3D modeler, "corn enthusiast", whoever you are.

I know it varies from person to person, their needs, and especially their budget. But the thesis I'm working on requires numbers.

I'm also just curious because the number is all over the place elsewhere.

Well for me. I built my pc at the wrong time. It was before the release of ryzen, so I had to get an fx chip which would be 2-3 years old already! So I'm planning to upgrade by this years end. But my ryzen system probably 2-3 years out of it.

Delta R5 Build

CPU: AMD RYZEN 1600 Purchased

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS  Purchased

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3000MHX (2X8GB) Purchased

CPU COOLER: DeepCool GAMMAXX 400 GT RGB Purchased

GPU: Gigabyte Xtreme Aorus 6gb GTX 1060 Purchased

Case: NZXT S340 (White) Purchased

PSU: EVGA 550B3 Purchased

HDD: WD Blue 1TB  Purchased

SSD: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB Purchased

Wifi Card: Asus PCE-N15 PCI-E 1X Purchased

--BUILD READY--

Gaming I thing upgrading graphic cards will extend life out of a current build.  

For me I never upgrade parts other than hard drives as I do more video editing.

Many times they change the sockets on the higher end motherboards by the time I need an upgrade around 4 years, so I spent 4k on a system cost = $1000 per year is my budget

I build a new whenever necessary, but if you upgrade parts along the way then you aren't necessarily  going to be replacing those when you do the rest of your system. So no it does not save you money. It just means for some parts you are not waiting till the full rebuild before enjoying an new GPU or ssd. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I upgrade SOME parts every 6 months or so.  Primarily GPU.  Been rocking the 4790k for a couple years now, she's still pushing hard and showing no signs of stopping.  

I do upgrade my loop more often than that though, because I'm addicted

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

I upgrade major parts like cpu/gpu/board every 4-5 years usually, though I can't imagine I'll upgrade my current cpu + board that I bought in 2014 (Xeon E3-1231v3 + MSI Z97S Krait) until 2020 or so, since I need that power just for gaming and I don't see new consoles until 2020. So until then I can't see a hyperthreaded quadcore i7-class cpu falling off while games are targeted at the low clocked, low IPC octacores in the XB1/PS4. I probably won't upgrade my GTX 970 I bought in 2014 in 2017, considering it's still holding pretty damn strong at 1080p. I have to play new games at high sometimes instead of ultra like when I bought the card, but high still looks the same to me as ultra anyways the vast majority of the time.

don't have a huge list what I did, but here we go:

I started with a used dell laptop from my parents back in 2012 or so.

This thing started overheating, and I went to university, so I got a lighter laptop in mid 2015. 

As my parents couldn't hold me back from building a PC at that point in time either, I got my first desktop also mid 2015. This thing lasts me and the only thing I added was the ssd back in December '16 because I got a good deal on amazon prime week. I don't feel like I need to upgrade now, and it will probably last me at least another year or so without feeling the need to upgrade as it suits my needs. I barely game when going to university, and the only thing I really play is GTA 5 since 2 years :D

Probably the next upgrade comes when GTA 6 comes out :D

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Years ago, I used to upgrade at least one major component every 6 months, and I'd typically sell my old parts off to one of my coworkers.  About 8 years ago, I fell into a really bad financial situation that severely limited my upgrade options.  While I have done some upgrades in that time, it was probably more like 2 years or more between upgrades.  Now that I'm on more solid financial footing, I tend to look for components that are of higher quality/performance, thus limiting how often I need to upgrade.  I also don't feel the need to chase the absolute pinnacle of performance in my games, so I don't have to constantly throw money at my machine to improve it.

I usually do it when some problems arise such as lagging or downloading issues . Also, it depends on my budget. There are times that I felt like there's a need for some upgrades since there are so many games already that are being downloaded, then all of sudden i'll decide to delete some files or games that I am not really fond of playing since I don't have a budget as of the moment.

i would like my 1070 to last 2 years :)

before that was a yearly GPU upgrade cycle

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

About 3-5 years. UNLESS, I feel the itch to buy new stuff that I don't need. Hey, happens to anyone, I suppose.

My i5-2500k lasted for 4 years. My gtx 670 lasted for 3 years. 

Then I upgraded my i5 2500k to an i5 4690k last September of 2015.

Then sold my i5 4690k to sidegrade to an i5-6500 last November 2016. Had to. Money was being wasted on OC-able parts that I'm not even OC-ing. 

Upgraded my GTX 670 to a 1070 last July 2016. Then sold it and downgraded to an RX 480 8gb last November 2016. I'm only gaming on a 1080p High-ultra settings.

Point is , it varies greatly. It may be because of needs or wants.